Guest commentary

Full story: Lake County Record-Bee

On the evening of Dec. 20, Clearlake Mayor-elect Joyce Overton presided over a town hall meeting that was lively and well-attended, but dominated by misunderstandings and mistaken premises.
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Jan 3, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Incarnation

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Well said and spot on.
get real

Clearlake Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

victoria doesn't live in Clearlake anymore. She has become one of the most unpopular figures in Clearlake. Nobody wants to see her sticking her nose into local politics, and, she is way off base with her remarks about the reasons for "no prosperity."
The answer is simple, Clearlake needs jobs. We have 25-30% unemployment(on the books), so the real number may approach 50%.
The median income is a miserable $20k per year, so there is no disposable income available to support local businesses, police services, or anything else for that matter. Investing in the downtown will produce nothing but a bunch of nice empty buildings absent spending customers.
The airport project was a step in the right direction, but victoria and her group of non-Clearlake citizen trouble makers screwed up the works.
Go away victoria, and take your out of town, sierra club, no growth, pro-poverty troublemakers with you.
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

You tell'em get real. Everyone knows that people aren't allowed to move from one district to another, especially for political purposes. Just ask that Raese guy that lost to Manchin in WV. Not saying it always works, but it can be a viable option (see Clinton, Hillary US Senator NY).
Get real

Clearlake Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Donna Christopher wrote:
You tell'em get real. Everyone knows that people aren't allowed to move from one district to another, especially for political purposes. Just ask that Raese guy that lost to Manchin in WV. Not saying it always works, but it can be a viable option (see Clinton, Hillary US Senator NY).
SOOooo, you are comparing victoria to hillary?
Did victoria's husband have an intern as well?
Get real.
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
SOOooo, you are comparing victoria to hillary?
Did victoria's husband have an intern as well?
Get real.
I did get real and point out the real ability of real people to move to real places for political gain. People do it for monetary gain also. Heard it's been done for a more pleasant climate too.
Yupee Yep

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

I agree
chuckles

Clearlake Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

I will sleep very soundly knowing that it is just a matter of time until the human need for development and jobs in Lake County run over the sierra club in the same manner that a vehicle runs over a varmint crossing a roadway.
Good night and happy new year.
Lowell Grant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

After 30+ years of tax revolters being in charge all the fat is long gone, we've cut the muscle on now we are working on the bones. This is now a government run for the greedy that turns it's back on the needy. Congrats to all who vote mindlessly for one tax cut after another, the decent into chaos looms near, you should be very proud.
Bill

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Excellent points and well presented. The condition of roads in the city is deplorable, as is the unavailability of the City of Clearlake website for many months now. Any redevelopment moneys available should be used to fix the existing infrastructure, not add a new layer to the police department. With the recent election of a new sheriff perhaps it is time to take a serious look at the ramifications of contracting police services to LCSO.
K-Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Lakeport Hairless wrote:
An alopecic sap that thinks people care about what he has to say. He is just another local stooge that loves to see his sheit in print and the smell of his own farts.
PREV!!!!!!!!
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

chuckles wrote:
I will sleep very soundly knowing that it is just a matter of time until the human need for development and jobs in Lake County run over the sierra club in the same manner that a vehicle runs over a varmint crossing a roadway.
Good night and happy new year.
Happy New Year to you. Just curious, how long ya been here? That may turn into one looooong nap you need to take. Used to be you could make enough in the summer to support you through the winter as this is an ag/tourist based economy. But with decades of stagnant wages (except the uber wealthy - hey, the bucks have to come from someone's pocket and it ain't gonna be theirs) that is no longer feasible. I'm not convinced that had both Cristallago and Lowes broken ground that they wouldn't have been walked away from by now. What do you see that makes either of those feasible right now and right here. And I don't want to hear anymore whining about the SC. They used the rules we have in place and the developers didn't - self inflicted wounds. Don't know about you but that wouldn't inspire confidence in me - or any other potential investor.
Lowell Grant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

When you use big words Adrain you give yourself away. All "chico" spewage comes from an obvious source, you fool no one. We know WHO you are and more importantly WHAT you are.
pot head

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Lakeport Hairless wrote:
You better keep looking over your shoulder.
All your experience did was bring you closer to your victims.
pot head

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Jim T Hole wrote:
Speak to us again sweetlips, the smell of sheit drives us wild.
You lost your license to practice What? Why? When? What is 311.11(a) anyway?
K-Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Lakeport Hairless wrote:
You better keep looking over your shoulder

Mr. Hole. if you would stop with your Bull**** Maybe the rest of us will too, maybe!BTW I am alway awhere of anybody within a stones throw of me. Give it you're best try
Cloudy Days Are Ahead

Beaumont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Victoria, I see you are quick to criticize Joyce Overton for the the events of that evening. One, of your candidates that had been talking about disbanding the Clearlake Police Department for month did not show up at that meeting.The one that did show up sat in the audience and said nothing. You and your little cronies during the campaign stated all Joyce needed was a little leadership. Is that how they supply leadership to Joyce, by seatting in the audience and keeping their mouths shout, or is it by staying home. For those that think I am talking about the Sierra Club. Think again Victoria Brandon has her own little group going.
Philip Murphy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Cloudy Days Are Ahead wrote:
Victoria, I see you are quick to criticize Joyce Overton for the the events of that evening. One, of your candidates that had been talking about disbanding the Clearlake Police Department for month did not show up at that meeting.The one that did show up sat in the audience and said nothing. You and your little cronies during the campaign stated all Joyce needed was a little leadership. Is that how they supply leadership to Joyce, by seatting in the audience and keeping their mouths shout, or is it by staying home. For those that think I am talking about the Sierra Club. Think again Victoria Brandon has her own little group going.
what joyce needs is support when she's right and constructive criticism when she's wrong, and jeri was out of town on vacation-is that OK with you? BTW, if people in that town did a better job of listening to Victoria's advice they'd have fewer problems today, she knows the history of the town, the way government works, and has a lot better ethics that some I could mention that have been or currently are on the council.
Huh

Clearlake Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Lowell Grant wrote:
After 30+ years of tax revolters being in charge all the fat is long gone, we've cut the muscle on now we are working on the bones. This is now a government run for the greedy that turns it's back on the needy. Congrats to all who vote mindlessly for one tax cut after another, the decent into chaos looms near, you should be very proud.
Those who believe in higher taxes should sit down and write a check to the government entity of their choice right now. There is no law against paying more tax than you owe.
i have been saying this for years yet the government coffers have not been filled. Why not?
Either there are no people who really believe in higher taxes, or the ones that do, want higher taxes for other people only, not themselves.
Even if they are wealthy.
Old Sea Lawyer

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

In our culture being wealthy is considered a virtue. People with little or heaven forbid no wealth are assumed to be lazy and stupid and not worthy to have power. The Potlach people believed giving away all their wealth was the thing to do. Maybe they were right, but did not survive when they came in contact with our ancestors.
Grady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Philip Murphy wrote:
<quoted text>
what joyce needs is support when she's right and constructive criticism when she's wrong, and jeri was out of town on vacation-is that OK with you? BTW, if people in that town did a better job of listening to Victoria's advice they'd have fewer problems today, she knows the history of the town, the way government works, and has a lot better ethics that some I could mention that have been or currently are on the council.
Joyce has not been right since she has been on the Council. She is always a train wreck. She is a contineous liar, always back peddeling when she realizes she screwed up. She will never be more than a "want-to-be". The city pays more for her health insurance than anyone else. Now here tell that those that campaigned against the Council receiving health insurance have now signed up themselves for the health insurance. I guess campaign promises mean nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rancho Mirage Discussions

Search the Rancho Mirage Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 2 hr Tounge inside Pussie Hole 655
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards 19 hr Randy 5
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 19 hr seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 19 hr Pole swap 7,855
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Thu Orange Cove cow licker 200,365
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu rain or snow to slow 15,928
Body Found in Indio Identified as Dr. Marshall ... (Sep '07) Wed Angel 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rancho Mirage Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rancho Mirage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE