Sheriff's deputies arrest two after suspicious activity in San ...

Full story: San Bernardino County Sun

Two people were arrested on suspicion of attempted burglary after they were seen leaving a house in San Antonio Heights.
Comments
21 - 38 of 38 Comments Last updated Aug 9, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Nora wrote:
Ya right is entitled to his (or her) opinion. If it isn't newsworthy to him, why do you all have to force your assessment of the story on him?
I think it's great to hear that these criminals were caught, but I can also also understand that, like many of the events reported by IVDB, it isn't all that remarkable as a news story.
Probably because nobody thinks that it is a sensational story worthy of being a large headline on the first page. But every article can't be a big story. And a newspaper isn't about printing only the big flashy stories. But his statement was that it wasn't newsworthy. And to not be newsworthy means it isn't worthy of even being news. And that simply isn't true. Pomona Valley isn't some glitzy metropolis where attempting to break into someones home doesn't mean much. And if this was the New York Times or a similar newspaper it undoubtedly wouldn't have made the news. But this is Pomona Valley. And people here do have an interest when criminals are caught rather than getting away with thir crimes. Especially when the crime was against our neighbors.

And to be honest, he didn't just make a statement. He asked "how is that newsworthy?". And when you ask a provocative question you shouldn't be upset when you get an answer. And if you look back at his posts, you'll see that when he did get answers to that question he refuted them each time.

Yes, it may not be an important story or earth shaking. But that doesn't mean it's newsworthy. And you may not think it was remarkable, but then maybe you've forgotten over the years what the word "remarkable" even means. Younger people seem to think that the word means something along the lines of "amazing" or "extraordinary". But no, it simply means something worth making a remark about. And yes, the fact that this attempted burglary didn't end up as the norm and just be a reprot taken after the fact is worth remarking about. They were caught and arrested. And yes, that's news. Good news. And yes, newsworthy, even if you and your friend ya don't agree.

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion. And since this is a public forum we're also entitled to disagree with him. Especially if we think he is completely wrong to think that it wasn't worth mentioning in this little IVDB internet edition. And the fact that some people commented and were happy to read it seems to prove that it was indeed not only newsworthy, but appreciated.
Mom in SAH

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Ya right wrote:
Great news in Mayberry, maybe.
San Antonio Heights is a modern day Mayberry... tucked away in the foothills, quiet, neighbors watch out for each other... or people who clearly are not residents. Just sayin'.
Mom in SAH

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably because nobody thinks that it is a sensational story worthy of being a large headline on the first page. But every article can't be a big story. And a newspaper isn't about printing only the big flashy stories. But his statement was that it wasn't newsworthy. And to not be newsworthy means it isn't worthy of even being news. And that simply isn't true. Pomona Valley isn't some glitzy metropolis where attempting to break into someones home doesn't mean much. And if this was the New York Times or a similar newspaper it undoubtedly wouldn't have made the news. But this is Pomona Valley. And people here do have an interest when criminals are caught rather than getting away with thir crimes. Especially when the crime was against our neighbors.
And to be honest, he didn't just make a statement. He asked "how is that newsworthy?". And when you ask a provocative question you shouldn't be upset when you get an answer. And if you look back at his posts, you'll see that when he did get answers to that question he refuted them each time.
Yes, it may not be an important story or earth shaking. But that doesn't mean it's newsworthy. And you may not think it was remarkable, but then maybe you've forgotten over the years what the word "remarkable" even means. Younger people seem to think that the word means something along the lines of "amazing" or "extraordinary". But no, it simply means something worth making a remark about. And yes, the fact that this attempted burglary didn't end up as the norm and just be a reprot taken after the fact is worth remarking about. They were caught and arrested. And yes, that's news. Good news. And yes, newsworthy, even if you and your friend ya don't agree.
Yes, he's entitled to his opinion. And since this is a public forum we're also entitled to disagree with him. Especially if we think he is completely wrong to think that it wasn't worth mentioning in this little IVDB internet edition. And the fact that some people commented and were happy to read it seems to prove that it was indeed not only newsworthy, but appreciated.
I agree. I think he or she is "trollin" this blog to get a rise out of people. The thing is... this IS news to those of us who live in San Antonio Heights. Big news. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen around here, believe it or not. Most of us live in this area to get away from the riff-raff. But, it is everywhere. No hiding from those who will commit crime. Sad.
Nora

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
And to not be newsworthy means it isn't worthy of even being news. And that simply isn't true. Pomona Valley isn't some glitzy metropolis where attempting to break into someones home doesn't mean much.

And you may not think it was remarkable, but then maybe you've forgotten over the years what the word "remarkable" even means. Younger people seem to think that the word means something along the lines of "amazing" or "extraordinary". But no, it simply means something worth making a remark about.

Perhaps there is an issue of what newsworthy means. I think you make a false analogy by equating people reading and commenting on it as making it newsworthy. Consider all the junk broadcast on the news. I mean do you really care about Octomomís latest drama? I donít find that worthy of being news at all, but some people crave that stuff and eagerly lap up any tidbit. Itís on the news Ė but not necessarily newsworthy IMHO. Of course, this is not a ridiculous story like hers, but my point is I donít think you can equate the interest of some as determining worthiness. I agree that there isnít a whole lot to report around here, and slow news days generally result in marginally (at best) worthy news stories, so something like this ends up being reported. Had there been more insightful details given, the story might have had more value to people like ya right.

I disagree with your comment that break-ins are so rare in this area that an attempted burglary is a noteworthy story. While the western portion of the IE is not eponymous as a hub of criminal activity, there is enough of this type of crime that makes this somewhat mundane. Again, itís not that it isnít important (and great) that these criminals were caught; itís the mere fact that this is not remarkable (i.e. unusual). Sadly, burglaries are all too common; it has happened to my elderly parents, to me and to my neighbors, and we live in a wealthy area of N. Upland. I have friends who live in SAH and have contended with burglaries to their home and cars (or their neighborsí) over the last decade. We do not live in that locale or era of ďMayberryĒ referenced earlier, so it is not unexpected that something like this happened. I donít fool myself into thinking nothing will happen just because I live outside the ďglitzy metropolis.Ē Like most rational people, I close and lock doors and windows because a burglary is a distinct possibility, and I am certain SAH residents do the same.

In any event, this is what I think he meant by his comment, and I believe he makes just as legitimate of an evaluation as you and the others, and I disagree with your assessment that he was ďcompletely wrong.Ē He just has a different but valid perspective, and that makes him no more wrong than you.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Nora wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps there is an issue of what newsworthy means. I think you make a false analogy by equating people reading and commenting on it as making it newsworthy. Consider all the junk broadcast on the news. I mean do you really care about Octomomís latest drama? I donít find that worthy of being news at all, but some people crave that stuff and eagerly lap up any tidbit. Itís on the news Ė but not necessarily newsworthy IMHO. Of course, this is not a ridiculous story like hers, but my point is I donít think you can equate the interest of some as determining worthiness. I agree that there isnít a whole lot to report around here, and slow news days generally result in marginally (at best) worthy news stories, so something like this ends up being reported. Had there been more insightful details given, the story might have had more value to people like ya right.
I disagree with your comment that break-ins are so rare in this area that an attempted burglary is a noteworthy story. While the western portion of the IE is not eponymous as a hub of criminal activity, there is enough of this type of crime that makes this somewhat mundane. Again, itís not that it isnít important (and great) that these criminals were caught; itís the mere fact that this is not remarkable (i.e. unusual). Sadly, burglaries are all too common; it has happened to my elderly parents, to me and to my neighbors, and we live in a wealthy area of N. Upland. I have friends who live in SAH and have contended with burglaries to their home and cars (or their neighborsí) over the last decade. We do not live in that locale or era of ďMayberryĒ referenced earlier, so it is not unexpected that something like this happened. I donít fool myself into thinking nothing will happen just because I live outside the ďglitzy metropolis.Ē Like most rational people, I close and lock doors and windows because a burglary is a distinct possibility, and I am certain SAH residents do the same.
In any event, this is what I think he meant by his comment, and I believe he makes just as legitimate of an evaluation as you and the others, and I disagree with your assessment that he was ďcompletely wrong.Ē He just has a different but valid perspective, and that makes him no more wrong than you.
Perhaps you should re-read my post. My assertion was not that it was newsworthy because break-ins are rare or should be unexpected in this area. On the contrary, what made this worthy of being mentioned in the news was the fact that unlike most burglaries, the culprits were apprehended leaving the scene of the crime. Most burglaries end up just being a report on someones desk, likely to not be solved. But because of a quick thinking neighbor and an efficient officer arriving quickly on the scene two burglars were arrested. Whether you wish to admit it or not, that is news and worthy of mention in our local newspaper. To say that this incident is not news and not worthy of mention in a local newspaper only makes you sound foolish. Since when is a burglar being caught in the act not news? It's a criminal act and an arrest witnessed by neighbors and the police resulting in a subsequent arrest. Are you trying to say our newspaper is so overloaded with crime reporting that there isn't room for an article unless there is a sensational side to it? You don't have a basis or leg to stand on. It was a crime resulting in an arrest. And to argue that it doesn't belong in our listings of crimes is foolish. Why would you find it not newsworthy as a local crime article? It fits the bill perfectly. An article like this in a local newspaper has absolutely nothing to do with Octomom or celebrities.

Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Mom in SAH wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I think he or she is "trollin" this blog to get a rise out of people. The thing is... this IS news to those of us who live in San Antonio Heights. Big news. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen around here, believe it or not. Most of us live in this area to get away from the riff-raff. But, it is everywhere. No hiding from those who will commit crime. Sad.
She seems to have no comprehension of what qualifies as a legitimate article in a local newspaper. It's a waste of time to even debate the subject. It's a local newspaper that has a section that reports on local crime. And to catch someone in the act of burglarizing a home and arrest them is exactly the type of article that belongs there. It surprised me that someone would think that it was not newsworthy. But it surprised me even more that someone would attempt to defend him and that statement. Maybe it's his wife, that might explain it. She seemed oblivious to the fact that it was because people were arrested leaving the scene of the crime that made this stand out from all of the other burglaries.
Northwest Nathan

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should re-read my post. My assertion was not that it was newsworthy because break-ins are rare or should be unexpected in this area. On the contrary, what made this worthy of being mentioned in the news was the fact that unlike most burglaries, the culprits were apprehended leaving the scene of the crime. Most burglaries end up just being a report on someones desk, likely to not be solved. But because of a quick thinking neighbor and an efficient officer arriving quickly on the scene two burglars were arrested. Whether you wish to admit it or not, that is news and worthy of mention in our local newspaper. To say that this incident is not news and not worthy of mention in a local newspaper only makes you sound foolish. Since when is a burglar being caught in the act not news? It's a criminal act and an arrest witnessed by neighbors and the police resulting in a subsequent arrest. Are you trying to say our newspaper is so overloaded with crime reporting that there isn't room for an article unless there is a sensational side to it? You don't have a basis or leg to stand on. It was a crime resulting in an arrest. And to argue that it doesn't belong in our listings of crimes is foolish. Why would you find it not newsworthy as a local crime article? It fits the bill perfectly. An article like this in a local newspaper has absolutely nothing to do with Octomom or celebrities.
Exellent point. You're right on the money. But somehow I think your words are being wasted. I seriously doubt if those two will understand. They're just too obsessed with this illusion that something that is obviously a valid news item is not newsworthy. Why would any intelligent person even question it's newsworthiness in the first place? Give it up, they just don't get it!
Nora

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether you wish to admit it or not, that is news and worthy of mention in our local newspaper. To say that this incident is not news and not worthy of mention in a local newspaper only makes you sound foolish.
ALL OF YOU CANNOT DISTINGUISH NEWS FROM NEWSWORTHY, and in your narrow-minded pursuit of being right, you all fail to consider that people have legitimate alternative perspectives. We have all lived different lives, and our diverse experiences influence how we evaluate our world. Are you all that ignorant that you do not understand this basic concept? You may think it newsworthy, but I donít because in my experience, it wasnít a big deal and the typical poor reporting of IVDB generated nothing of interest for me. So why canít I believe it not newsworthy? Do you get to decide for me what is of value or not? So, no, I don't have "to admit" it's newsworthy because I have the ability to think independently and decide based on my own experiences and beliefs that it is not. Instead, you intimate that you are right and I just won't admit it. You, my friend, are the foolish one for thinking you have the right or even the capability to determine what I believe.

Let me try one more time in easier diction: everything and anything can be considered news, but the question is whether it is newsWORTHY, and yes there is a distinction and for all of you who failed to understand the Octomom example, itís clear that this notion is beyond your comprehension. For you, your cohorts and for me too, this attempted burglary story was news Ė a reported incident. Agreed? However, anyone can consider any event news, but we individually make a determination of its value to ourselves. For example, the IVDB also reports on the menus for senior citizens. Itís definitely news and important for someone to know that Friday is spaghetti night, but is that newsWORTHY to you? Sorry, but to me, it isnít. With your twisted logic, itís printed, so itís automatically newsworthy. And if you really do think itís newsworthy, I now truly understand what kind of (il)logic Iím up against, and donít forget to bring the Parmesan cheese Friday.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Nora wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL OF YOU CANNOT DISTINGUISH NEWS FROM NEWSWORTHY, and in your narrow-minded pursuit of being right, you all fail to consider that people have legitimate alternative perspectives. We have all lived different lives, and our diverse experiences influence how we evaluate our world. Are you all that ignorant that you do not understand this basic concept? You may think it newsworthy, but I donít because in my experience, it wasnít a big deal and the typical poor reporting of IVDB generated nothing of interest for me. So why canít I believe it not newsworthy? Do you get to decide for me what is of value or not? So, no, I don't have "to admit" it's newsworthy because I have the ability to think independently and decide based on my own experiences and beliefs that it is not. Instead, you intimate that you are right and I just won't admit it. You, my friend, are the foolish one for thinking you have the right or even the capability to determine what I believe.
Let me try one more time in easier diction: everything and anything can be considered news, but the question is whether it is newsWORTHY, and yes there is a distinction and for all of you who failed to understand the Octomom example, itís clear that this notion is beyond your comprehension. For you, your cohorts and for me too, this attempted burglary story was news Ė a reported incident. Agreed? However, anyone can consider any event news, but we individually make a determination of its value to ourselves. For example, the IVDB also reports on the menus for senior citizens. Itís definitely news and important for someone to know that Friday is spaghetti night, but is that newsWORTHY to you? Sorry, but to me, it isnít. With your twisted logic, itís printed, so itís automatically newsworthy. And if you really do think itís newsworthy, I now truly understand what kind of (il)logic Iím up against, and donít forget to bring the Parmesan cheese Friday.
Because according to definition, newsworthy means sufficiently interesting to be in a newspaper. That's not my opinion it's a fact. And as an intelligent human being I understand that my opinion doesn't change whether something is newsworthy or not. Certainly much of what is in the newspaper may not interest me in the slightest. But I am not arrogant enough to think that just because it isn't interesting to me that this would not make it newsworthy. News is subjective, and what is news to someone else might be useless to me and vise versa. But then I'm not talking about spaghetti or Octomom. I'm speaking only of this one article, which certainly is newsworthy whether I or anyone else is interested in it. Because that's what this newspaper reports on. If the fact that an article reporting on a crime and arrest is beyond the scope of your interest that's fine. But that's only due to your own limitations. It's understandable that some people are wrapped up in their own lives to the extent where what happens to others in their community really have no interest to them. If you and yah are among those then it makes more sense that you might think it not newsworthy. But that doesn't make it so. Crimes being committed and people being arrested for them have always been part of local newspapers and is an accepted part of them. Certainly your insistence that this particular crime and arrest was not newsworthy just because of your lack of interest tells much more about you than it does of me or the article.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

NORA, The only narrow-mindedness of this is the fact that you think something is not newsworthy simply because it is not of interest to you or it isn't a "big deal" as you put it. The rest of understand that something can still indeed be newsworthy even if we ourselves don't find it of particular interest. We understand that whether something is newsworthy or not doesn't revolve around ourselves and is more dependent on whether it satified the criteria of the type of news it is expected to be reporting.
Certainly your spaghetti with or without meatballs WOULD be newsworthy if it was contained in the food or dining section of a periodical. Because that's what the readers would be expecting. But would not be newsworthy if it was contained in the local section where we expect to be informed of crimes, auto accidents or fires or local arrests. But that's only because it wouldn't fit the genre of articles. If it was instead put in the food or dining section of the newspaper it would be where it belongs. A human interest story if it was only a recipe. And a semi-news story if it was describing something that was served at a function or to be served at an upcoming affair that might be of interest to those who will be attending.
But none of your bringing Spaghetti and Octomom has any bearing on this article being in this newspaper. Trying to debate what is news and what isn't in general also doesn't have any bearing on this. This was just a minor, run of the mill article reporting of a crime where two of the culprits were arrested. No big deal as you put it, but still of interest to most readers of this newspaper. This newspaper isn't so big that it thinks it doesn't have room for an article like this. Had there been no arrest to distinguish it from other burglaries, likely it wouldn't have made it into print. But the arrest made it worthy of reporting.
No big deal. Just a little article that made a lot of people happy to hear the burglars get caught for a change. But what annoyed a few people was to hear you and yah declare this as not newsworthy simply because it was not of sufficient interest to you. So what? That doesn't make it not newsworthy, it only made it uninteresting to you. If you can't understand that a newsworthy article can also be uninteresting to some then it's really not worth our time to disagree with you. You think that we don't understand or try to force our views on you? Complete reversal of what's happening. It's you who are trying to force your view that something in not newsworthy simply because it fails to fullfil you. The rest of us understand that something can still be completely newsworthy whether it interests us or not. And we don't have your ego and arrogance to proclaim it un-newsworthy because it doesn't meet with our approval. That's where you just don't get it and apparently never will.
Nora

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Because according to definition, newsworthy means sufficiently interesting to be in a newspaper. That's not my opinion it's a fact.
Actually ďworthyĒ is not a factual description; itís an abstract and subjective term. Don't confuse a definition with a fact. The definition you looked up contains the words "sufficiently" and ďinteresting,Ē also subjective terms. Concrete factual words are those that represent ideas/objects that are tangible and fairly representative. You arenít that ignorant to think that ďworth,ĒďinterestingĒ and "sufficient" are tangible and concrete, are you? I hope not.

All along, I have said that it was a story that may not be newsworthy TO ME. Let me reprint a sentence from my last post that you didnít bother to read/understand,ďanyone can consider any event news, but we individually make a determination of its value to ourselves.Ē Note the word ďindividually.Ē Why don't you find a post on this forum ANYWHERE where I am "forcing" everyone to agree with me. Find a statement I made that says if you think it's newsworthy, you are wrong/dumb, etc...PLEASE find it because you'll need it to base your supposition that I am deciding what is newsworthy to everyone and rendering your opinions invalid. You won't find it because I have never done what you are blindly accusing me of doing.

Bottom line is I have never insisted that you or anyone agree with me. I was stating an opinion that I am entitled to. In your mind, if I state an opinion, I am "forcing" it on you. If you state an opinion, there is no "force" involved because you are automatically and conveniently right. Think about that for a moment before you make a knee-jerk reaction. If you REALLY re-read my posts you'll see that I am tolerant of other people's view including yours unlike your intolerance that I have an opinion that goes against your beliefs. But, you have too much invested in asserting that you are right, so you won't concede that I have never asked/forced you to agree with me; I've only expressed a differing opinion. Is that not allowed in your world? That's too bad because I was hoping we could come to an agreement that people can believe different things and still both be right (you know, that agree to disagree notion), but clearly that is a concept you simply are unwilling to consider.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

NORA,
wrong again. I have no problem considering or even agreeing that you believe that it is not newsworthy. It's perfectly clear that you didn't think that the item was not newsworthy, so there is nothing to consider.

My reason to not agree with you is that this is a local newspaper that has been dedicated to bringing us local news of this type for decades. And for you to suddenly pop up and decide that what most of us expect and enjoy reading is "not newsworthy" tends to make me disagree with you. This type of item has been accepted as newsworthy to it's readers for as long as you or I have lived. And for you to suddenly come along and declare it not newsworthy simply because you have no interest in whether someone attempted to burglarize a house and was arrested is something that I found to be without merit. I agree with you that it is your right to find it boring, uninteresting or not worth your time. But that only makes it not newsworthy in your mind or your opinion. It does not alter the fact that it is still a newsworthy item. You can argue and try to be right for the next ten years but it doesn't change the fact that this was a newsworthy item.
I'll explain why it was a newsworthy item for our local newspaper: It reported to us that a crime had occurred in a local neighborhood. It reported what kind of crime it was, when it happened and where it happened. It reported that two of the burglars had escaped and one is still at large. Moreover, it was the type of article we expect from our local newspaper. We understand that every crime can't be reported, but we expect to told of those that might be of particular interest or out of the ordinary. The fact that these two were caught satisfied that. People in the immediate vicinity appreciate knowing if burglars are operating in their area. The police can't notifiy everyone, so newspaper articles such as this alert us. That's a small part of why this article and others like it are newsworthy.

Now, your turn. Explain to us why this article was not newsworthy
hunkie boy

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

anytime you see 2-3 blacks in an upscale neighborhod it is trouble.california needs castles doctrine
; if there in your house shoot them, 14 states have this doctrine,
Nora

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Guillen wrote:
Now, your turn. Explain to us why this article was not newsworthy
Hey G, do you ever actually read my posts or do you just see my name and begin banging away at the keyboard in furious reply? Look back at my earlier post Ė Iíll even make it easy; itís Thursday, March 4 second paragraph. Please take the time to actually read and comprehend what I wrote; otherwise, you look foolish. Take your emotions out of the equation because they are preventing you from objectively reading and comprehending what I write.

But let's take one more spin Ďround the dance floor shall we?

ďBut that only makes it not newsworthy in your mind or your opinion. It does not alter the fact that it is still a newsworthy item.Ē

I asked you a simple question that you failed to answer from my last post. Here's the question; I'll make it as clear as possible for you.

WHERE DO I EVER SAY THAT I AM ANOINTED THE DECISION MAKER AND EVERYONE (INCLUDING YOU) MUST AGREE WITH ME THAT THE NEWS WAS NOT NEWSWORTHY?

Really, where? This is the cornerstone of your argument and for everyone else blindly jumping on the bandwagon, so prove it. SIMPLY CUT AND PASTE THE SENTENCE WHERE I SAY THIS without including a 500-word treatise that avoids answering the question. Iím serious; find it.

If you respond once again without answering, well, I guess we know the answer to the question, donít we? You are accusing me of saying/believing something I never said because itís so much harder at this point to say,ďYeah you know what, you can believe itís not newsworthy, I can believe it is newsworthy, and thatís ok because people can evaluate something from their own perspective WITHOUT INVALIDATING the other personís viewpoint.Ē Donít worry, I wonít hold my breath that youíd be man enough to admit that you have misunderstood my point from the very beginning because you simply did not read what I wrote; you all were too busy being angry that I would dare disagree with you.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Well, I'm truly sorry Nora, for my poor choice of words when I used "force" to describe you voicing your opinion of the article not being newsworthy. I really never thought you would take it in a literal sense. Because honestly, there is no way you or I could force either of us to do anything over a blog on the internet. I failed to envision that aspect of the conversation becoming part of a debate. I believe I may have used that term in defense of something you had said earlier.
As far as misunderstanding you from the beginning? I doubt it. I think it was pretty clear what you were saying from the beginning. That in your mind you found it to be a minor story not worthy of being published. You felt that burglaries are common, which they are. And because of that it probably wouldn't merit an article in the paper. And I agree, it probably would not. But then this had the uncommon outcome of having an officer roll up and arrest the suspects. That was what made this stand out from the rest.
But of course you have your own opinion on the value of the news article and I respect that.
Whether you understood or not, my difference of opinion with you was never based on how you viewed this article or even whether you found it to be worth reading or not. Just like you, I find many of the articles to be what I might consider not worth my time. Whether it be something I'm not interested in, or just not important enough to spend my time reading. So I can understand completely why you might not find the article worthy of your time.
But my difference in opinion with you is this, as it has been all along. The term "newsworthy" is a term that refers to news in general. That determination is made by the newspaper as to whether it's information is relevant in general to it's readers. It's not meant as a term to refer to individual readers. So if something doesn't meet my standards, I just don't read it. My indifference or lack of interest in an article doesn't change or make the article not newsworthy. It reflects on me and my interest. The rest of the city can still read it and it's still a newsworthy article. My individual opinion can't change that. I don't feel arrogant enough to think that my interest or opinion can define whether something is newsworthy or not.
Guillen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

NORA: So, just to end this once and for all, I was hoping that maybe you would come to the conclusion that "newsworthy" doesn't mean it will appeal to each and every person. It was just a term that means it was worth making the news. And that the fact that you didn't care for it wouldn't re-define it as not newsworthy. Just as still respect an article as newsworthy even though I don't care for it. And in case you're wondering, I've found many articles that I might have felt might border on being un-newsworthy. Fillers put in on a slow day. But in this case, it did fit the criteria for a crime-watch type article in a local newspaper. So I saw no reason to think it would not be newsworthy. Just my opinion.

Perhaps you find me narrow-minded for seeing it that way, but then that's okay.

Have a great life, Nora. And even though I don't agree with what you may think. I only wish you the best in the future.
Northwest Nathan

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Guillen wrote:
NORA: So, just to end this once and for all, I was hoping that maybe you would come to the conclusion that "newsworthy" doesn't mean it will appeal to each and every person. It was just a term that means it was worth making the news. And that the fact that you didn't care for it wouldn't re-define it as not newsworthy. Just as still respect an article as newsworthy even though I don't care for it. And in case you're wondering, I've found many articles that I might have felt might border on being un-newsworthy. Fillers put in on a slow day. But in this case, it did fit the criteria for a crime-watch type article in a local newspaper. So I saw no reason to think it would not be newsworthy. Just my opinion.
Perhaps you find me narrow-minded for seeing it that way, but then that's okay.
Have a great life, Nora. And even though I don't agree with what you may think. I only wish you the best in the future.
Strange that you suddenly turned so soft on her. I was expecting you to answer her reference to March 4th second paragraph, as you had done before. She cites her reason for thinking it wasn't a valid newsworthy story as burglaries are common in the area. Which may be true. However I think you answered that before by saying that the burglary itself didn't make the article newsworthy. It was the fact that the perpetrators were caught and arrested leaving the scene. And THAT is not common. In fact it's very UNCOMMON. That's what really made this news stand out from the rest of the pack. Making VERY newsworthy. Why did you take pity and leave that out after she made such a big point on pointing out that paragraph?
Collin quick

Victorville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Drug arrtest link to stolen property wrightwood ca

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Rancho Cucamonga Forum right now

Search the Rancho Cucamonga Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 12 min PEE PEE PETE 200,351
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 min PEE PEE PETE 26,721
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 32 min Ban Central Station 4,889
‚̧ԳŹuuu 19 hr your so far away 2
my heart 19 hr your so far away 1
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Mon snodder 2,252
east side pomona rifa (Mar '08) Mon Lil Demonio ESP gang 245
•••
•••

Rancho Cucamonga News Video

•••
Rancho Cucamonga Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Rancho Cucamonga Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000