Public faces medical marijuana scam

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

A recent article in the Daily Bulletin regarding medical marijuana failed to mention the fallacies and problems associated with what has become a personal mission and profession for a limited few to blatantly ...
Comments
281 - 297 of 297 Comments Last updated May 30, 2013
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
John Thomas

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2008

Yes. Denver seems to be having problems getting the police to comply with their initiative also.

Do people who smoke cigarettes in public get arrested also?

All police alive today have been used to considering marijuana consumers as "the enemy" all their lives - not to mention the persecution has been a great cash cow and easy path to promotions for them.

Perhaps the next level after the successful passage of these initiatives is to mandate a purge of the police departments to get rid of the dinosaurs that won't change, no matter what.
Richard Steeb

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2008

palmspringsbum wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, for NORML to have their convention in a 100% non-smoking hotel is not disrespectful to anyone.
Oops... didn't see this [Chill, Craig...]:
http://norml.org/index.cfm...

Hotel Smoking Policy

Like many major hotels these days, the DoubleTree Berkeley Marina is a non-smoking property, however the DoubleTree Berkeley Marina complies with state medical cannabis laws (Prop. 215 and SB 420) and each room has a balcony to accommodate medical patients and non-patients alike.

Need special accommodations, such as a wheelchair-access room? Contact the Doubletree Berkeley Marina for personal service.

Hotel Parking

Bonus: Parking is free at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina for all NORML conference guests, vendors and patrons.
<snip>

“where it all comes together”

Since: Apr 08

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

John Thomas wrote:
psb
I said I wasn't going to discuss reformers, but here I am. I will try again.
>>>"I am currently facing two trials in Santa Cruz for smoking in public, by the way."
I thought Santa Cruz passed an iniative making marijuana arrests the lowest law enforcement priority.
They did. And then, after picking the ripe fruit, Tiecher (is that their name?) left town.

The city attorney enjoined the police from providing records of their arrest to the committee.

And the city council, lead by ACLU Mike Rotkin, has stonewalled the committee.

The ordinance made marijuana arrests IN A RESIDENCE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY lowest priority. So the police have decided that means they get to bust anyone medicating in public or on public property.

And me in particular.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

Richard Steeb wrote:
Oops... didn't see this [Chill, Craig...]:
I didn't read the fine print. I sure can't afford to go. Never could.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

But I don't think people should have to go outside.

I know I got pneumonia going outside to smoke when I stayed at a friend's non-smoking house for several months. Going from warm into the chill wind isn't good for sick people. And trying to light something in the wind...

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

After thinking about it a few minutes I've decided not to chill.

"however the DoubleTree Berkeley Marina complies with state medical cannabis laws (Prop. 215 and SB 420) and each room has a balcony to accommodate medical patients and non-patients alike."

I didn't realize Prop 215 was about sending medical marijuana patients to the back of the bus.

I certainly was never planning on going in the first place. The only time I have gotten a motel room in the past three years is because I needed (desperately) to bathe and sleep on something besides the sidewalk. And if I didn't pay money for a non-smoking room them I certainly wouldn't pay for it now.
John Thomas

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

An ACLU rep is on the City Council and is and obstacle to marijuana reform? That's pretty unbelievable, given the ACLU's track record.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

John Thomas wrote:
An ACLU rep is on the City Council and is and obstacle to marijuana reform? That's pretty unbelievable, given the ACLU's track record.
Mike Rotkin is not an ACLU rep as I understand it, he is on the board of directors of the Drug Policy office here in Santa Cruz.

Among his other accomplishments is being a part of a city council that stone-walled dispensaries for years in this town. They used zoning to accomplish it. The decreed that dispensaries had to be at least 600 feet from a park, a school, and I don't know what else. I was at the meeting where they approved Greenway's license.

Lisa Molyneaux, the proprietor, was practically in tears. She said they had sat down with a map and it was obvious the city had done the same thing, and that someone had determined that if they made the zone 600 feet that would exclude dispensaries from the Santa Cruz City limits.

Lisa paid rent and utilities and probably some salaries, for six months waiting for approval of a business license. The place she found was within 600 feet of the back corner of a park. So the city used that, and the fact that she was about to lose her life savings, to place 'additional stipulations' on the club.

They took our clubs and turned them into their drug dealers.

However, this is SOP for Santa Cruz. They do this to all businesses downtown. Sitting on the license for six months is how they have managed to extort 'additional stipulations' on every business in town.

This is a very discriminating town, and a very discriminating city council.

It appears WAMM's place in all this is to be there to trot out whenever they need a dog & pony show, and for that they get left alone; so long as WAMM members never smoke in public, or make any demands on the city.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

I just spent about half an hour looking for the Santa Cruz chapter's board of directors. One would think that would be linked off their main menu, but it isn't.

Here is what I've found: http://www.aclusantacruz.org/santacruzlocal

I recognize the names of four members of the City Council there. And there are probably more. Sheila Coonerty is the sister of the current mayor, so that makes at least 5.
SABET IS RIGHT

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

Finally someone speaking sense on this issue. Seriously, you med pot people are only about getting hight.
-A cancer survivor.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

I was in error. Mike Rotkin is the only current city council member on the ACLU board that I can identify. Mardi Wormhoudt is a former city councilmember. And their may be others.

Sheila Coonerty is the sister of the current mayor.

Emily Reily is a current city council member and taking a second look at the ACLU list I see I 'merged' numbers 10 & 11.

Tim FitzMaurice is also a current city councilmember, but, so far as I know, is not the same person as the Tim FitzPatrick on the ACLU board.

Here is an article in today's paper about the local city council race: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci...
Lenny from LA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

Your article is just another form of propoganda and many people see right through it. I am a Cancer patient along with suffering chronic pain cause from a work related injury some years ago and my life would be misrable if it not for MMJ. Who are you to say what medicine works for me? Why do people like you blame what your kids are doing on the rest of society? I raised five kids and have not had these issues with them,why are you and others? Is it because of MMJ? Is it because of video games? Is it because of the ease envolved in drug access? Or,is it bad parenting and guidence? I believe that latter.
Broady

Placentia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

Your medical marijuana article was not a good example of objective journalism. It was an editorial. Much has been missed or left out. The author is not to be taken seriously.

Bill, California
lola

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

MARINOL Capsules is indicated for the treatment of:

1.anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS; and
2.nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conventional antiemetic treatments
So those of you who are stating that you take this for the pain, it doesnt work because it not made for pain mangement.

Santa Cruz, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Oh yeah, a pill for nausea is a great idea, if you can get it down, and keep it down long enough for it to work, which is a half hour or more...
Mr Bojangles99

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

You sir, are Dr. Sabetage. You should cite your diatribe instead of spouting lies.
Bob

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2013

Marijuana Anonymous wrote:
It's rather sad that pot smokers bring up alcohol when WE ALREADY KNOW THE DANGERS OF ALCOHOL.
The problem with pot smokers is that you are in denial and in need of help. The problem with getting you help though is that you have to admit you have a problem and that is long long stretch for any liberal. In all good sense, we truly do hope you get the help that you need and someday you will because one of three things happens to an addict --jails, institutions or death.
Have you ever gone to a MA meeting? Marijuana Anonymous? Check it out -- it's filled with people who were once like you.. Do yourself, your family and society a little favor and go. Otherwise, your darkness in life will continue.
http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/
That is one hostile post, Dude. Get off your high horse. Not everyone becomes addicted to pot, and NO ONE has ever died from it. And addition has nothing to do with being a "liberal", whatever the hell that is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Discussions

Search the Rancho Cucamonga Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 9 hr mile high 200,324
❤️uuu 9 hr missumuch 1
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,649
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr Ocean 7,835
Prosecutors allege Chaffey High School music te... (Jul '09) 14 hr Class of 09 535
Report: Remains of euthanized pets made into so... (Feb '10) 15 hr jeff 49
MCR and HAK r going around posting with differe... (Mar '13) 21 hr HA WIFEY 22
•••
•••

Rancho Cucamonga News Video

•••
•••

Rancho Cucamonga Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••