County setting up alerts for DCFS

Full story: LA Daily News

Following a recent spate of tragic child deaths, Los Angeles County officials said Tuesday they are working to improve child safety through a system that alerts social workers to repeated complaints about unsafe homes.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2013
Concerned citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Judged:

Why is everyone out to blame the social workers!. We have to accept that they don't know the future, and they can't be with the families 24 hours a day. The fact is that there are very dysfunctional people out there and unfortunately they cannot prevent all the trajedies It's like if we start to blame the police dept. for all the murders. They can't be blamed for that! I think that the social workers do a lot for the community and that they are not portrayed fairly. All the laws and changes can be put in place, and that still will not prevent a percentage of children from suffering abuse or death. Unfortunately, they are not fortunate tellers and they do the best they can, they are not fortune tellers!
Anamouse

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Judged:

Probably just another move to put more pressure on affluent parents who do terrible things like spank their kids when they rebel. I know, the politically correct thing for them to do is to talk to there little he ll raiser, not spank em.

I know real abuse is a horrible thing, but from all I can see the agency wastes far too much time persuing parents who choose to discipline their kids in politically incorrect ways, which depletes the resources they can apply in drug infested neighborhoods where guardians are scarce, and real dangers abound.

Their quick to take spoiled brat from an affluent 2 parent family because mom slapped their face when they cursed at her, but slow to remove an unsupervised poor kid from a parent who is a known drug user and not even in a position where they could be a full time guardian if they wanted to.

They have many parents so scared that many no longer discipline their kids for fear that they will be taken away, and the result has been a generation of spoiled brats that no one, including teachers can control.

The ruller may not have been the greatest thing, but in hindsight spair the rod and spoil the child seems to be very true.

When I was in school even the toughest guys shapped up when they were in view of a teacher because they didn't want to get swatted, but today teachers can't touch them and those brats not only do terrible thing at school, they do it right in front of teachers and taunt the teachers at the same time because they know they can't be touched. Entire classrooms aren't learning because teachers can't contol the brats among them. I think a few sore butts was a small price to pay for a civil classroom environment that was consusive to learning, and I think the same applies at home.

It's just a fact that sometimes only the fear of physical punishment, like a swat on the behind, will put a swift end to bad and sometimes dangerous behavior.
nana mouse

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

What I am about to say is NOT criticism towards Social Workers at all....I know they have tough jobs to do. I just can't believe that there is not a system such as the aforementioned already in place. You would think that in the computer age they would be able to perform those functions already.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Judged:

I don't think social workers are the problem. The system overseen by our weak sisters at the Board of Supervisors is the problem.

Why, since most of the supervisors have been at their desks for 20+ years, haven't they done anything about this before?

Now that the legal taxpayers are getting P I S S E D off at government at every level they are afraid to lose their phoney baloney jobs if they don't do something. They all need to "retire" so fresh blood can be added to the county government next time around. They've been treating these jobs like lifetime appointments and it needs to stop!
robin weber

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Dae'von Bailey told teachers and a nurse he was being abused and Marcas Fisher lied and said the child was responsible for the injuries. Where is the common sense of the social workers? That line is the oldest in the book and shows how limited the caseworkers are and let's face it, no one cares about black and Hispanic children. Who was the judge who awarded custody to Marcas Fisher who was a rapist, burglar and drug dealer? Has the whole system gone insane?
Lynn

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I have been a social worker with DCFS for almost 12 years and in that time I have watched DCFS respond to each child death with more and more safeguards put in place in order to develop an "early warning system" when a new child abuse report is filed and investigated. The problem with this is that the investigating CSW's have so much clerical paperwork to do, that they are unable to spend much time actually investigating the abuse incident because they are too busy entering data. Recently more and more children are being removed from their home because this appears to be the safest action to take (for DCFS) as we are constantly scrutinized for every step we take. If the board of supervisors would kindly come to our offices and work with us daily taking on case after case, following time lines, sitting in on meetings with families, and going out with law enforcement, maybe they would have a more realistic view of what we do. And as to the public. DCFS is not perfect however, step into our investigative shoes and see what we see out there.
DCFS CORRUPTION

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

Again another way for this corrupted agencys to harras people more, what happen to helping familys come close to each other! instead this agencys are trying to act as peace officers and detectives now! and dont focus on whats important reuniting the familys instead they say they plan on not returning children to familys or homes that are unsafe according to them! but in reality 99.9 % of the complaints they get of abuse according to them are real and everyone in the state and in every house is an unsafe home and everyone is guilty until proven innocent. So its just another strategy and another way to hurt and harras people instead of doing their job! to protect children they want to find ways to put children in adoption and remove them from their homes easier! this is not giong to help! its only going to worste as all this women who run CPS,DCFS are all lesbians,single moms who had a cheating husband or females with no children, they hate men and they hate the whole concept of FAMILY! instead the state should focus on getting familys closer, giving them the proper help NO COUNSELING FOR YEARS INSTEAD helping them get a job, a house, food, and off drugs. There is people who neglect their children and are trash and are unfit to have children but not 99.9 % of homes and population that come across this agency are unfit and unsafe but this CSW and corrupted people say they are because every child they put on foster care and adoption is gold for them,. This system is out of control and they need to start by fireing some of their supervisors and csw who have been doing this same jobs for so many years as they have become corrupted and are corrupting the younger CSW to perjure,lie, falsey accuse people, remove children with no grounds, and focus on proving that every single family that comes across this agency is guilty and unsafe instead of focusing on helping this familys reunite and be together, NO MORE SINGLE MOMS RAISING CHILDREN BY THEM SELFS !!as children need both parents in their life even if the parents are not together, no more corrupted CSW who perjure and have inmunity to do whatever they want and violate peoples constitutional rights and civil rights. NO MORE CHILDREN ON FOSTER AND OUT OF THEIR HOMES. NO MORE MINORITYS IN THE SYSTEM AS THEY FOCUS ON TARGETTING AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN AND LATINOS WHO HAVE NO MONEY TO DEFEND THEM SELFS,
DCFS CORRUPTION

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

CPS Misconduct Despite more than two decades of repeated investigations by the San Diego County Grand Jury of misconduct by the County of San Diego Child Welfare Services (aka San Diego CPS) agency, the abusive agency and its illegal and harmful actions continue unabated. Safeguards to fix errors and abuses have been perverted into meaningless mechanisms to cover up wrong-doing and insulate the County of San Diego and individual social workers from criminal prosecution and civil litigation. The agency is unrelenting in its refusals to correct its own problems, and continues to run roughshod over the law, civil rights, and best interests of children. The County of San Diego and its derelict Board of Supervisors also avoid taking necessary actions to correct the problems.
Two reports have been released in 2008 and 2009 that indicate how San Diego CPS frequently:
•Removes children from homes without revealing the reasons
•Fails to document reasons for CPS actions in writing
•Fails to provide written communications and instructions to parents•Claims to courts and others to have communicated in writing to parents, but no such evidence of this alleged written communication could be found by the Grand Jury. This implies that CPS social workers lied or perjured. This is consistent with past findings in previous Grand Jury investigations that CPS social workers routinely lie and perjure to the detriment of children and parents.
•Fails to objectively and competently investigate complaints regarding CPS and its social workers after children are removed from homes.
•Uses the removal of children from homes on inadequately investigated allegations as an excuse to stop further investigation.
CPS Refuses to Communicate Effectively with Parents
CPS social workers avoid using written communications with parents. It appears part of the purpose for this is to leave parents uncertain of what is happening and stymied in their responses because they lack critical information that should have been provided to them.
provided to them.The complainants were a small group of individuals from all areas of the County and from different ethnic and economic groups. Their common ground was that they all had been accused of child neglect or abuse resulting in children having been temporarily removed from their custody. A common complaint was, at the time the children were removed, that they did not receive verbal or written notification specifying the reasons for removal. There was also an indication that the parents or custodians experienced ongoing difficulties in communicating with the social workers assigned to their cases and more difficulty in receiving written notices updating the status of those cases.
Fact: Four of the six complainants were not told why their children were being removed nor were they notified in writing.
Finding: Of the cases we examined, the Grand Jury found no record of written notification at the time of removal.
it appears that this conduct occurs for the following reasons: Social workers do not want to be held accountable for getting facts straight, so they are intent on covering up original physical evidence except for that evidence that they can control and manipulate as they see fit
•Social workers want to be able to manipulate 3rd parties contacted during the course of investigations to produce false “evidence” to be used against parents whom they have already decided with prejudice to target for deprivation of civil rights, suspension or termination of custody, or other unjustifiable actions.
1. Perjury.
2. Fabrication of evidence.
3. Failure to disclose known exculpatory evidence.
4. Obtaining testimony by duress. IGNORING IF YOU HAVE AN ATTORNEY OR NOT!AS THEY ARE ADVICED FROM THEIR COUNTY COUNSIL NOT TO CONVERSATE WITH THE OPPOSING ATTORNEY.
is what CSW do
DCFS CORRUPTION

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

Judged:

http://angiemedia.com/...

www.fightcps.com

http://www.meetup.com/cpscorruption/

http://knoxville.wate.com/sound_off/index.php...

http://robtshepherd.tripod.com/lawsuit2.html

http://www.rtc.pdx.edu/FeaturedDiscussions/pg...

http://my.kidjacked.com/nisey/

to the CSW it seems that your the only one defending your self as 89595994848939984389348934894 of other people in this country are saying the same thing about CPS! DCFS and other CPS agencys across the country! So shut your mouth up! corrupted whore! and if your county is so busy playing detectives and attorneys for your CSW instead they should hire people to type their reports so that you and your CSW whore friends can have x mas partys at your house with the money you guys steal from the county resources atms that are supposed to be given to the children in foster care. Or steal the toys of foster children in x mas time and give them to your own family while children are apart from their mommys and daddys, and your agency is getting 5000 dollars a month to pay 800 dollars per child to the foster parents and the rest goes to your agency you CSW whore, get in your shoes i would as you guys have inmunity to lie do whatever you want and cant be hold liable for your actions but hahaha not no more! as the new law passed you can sue CSW nows, no more inmunity , and your 4500 dollar salarys you get more money from police officers who are actually out there protecting people
Angela

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Judged:

Yeah DCFS is currupt! How do you just walk and someone's home and take their children away from a mother who filed a police report against her abuser? That is what they did to me! doing whats best i think they are servants of the devil in some cases.
UR1social worker

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Social workers re blamed for being at fault somehow somewhere, it's not like they are super human and make no mistake in judgment...and it's not like some of them have no bias and prejudices against some involved parties then try blame the weakest because they are less likely to defend themselves being less able to convince courts and or officials whenever social workers mess up a case and make decision going against someone's interest...it's not like social wokers are always innocent in every situatio...if we judge it's because we have rights, reason and means to do so in protection of human and or civil rights...it's too easy to blame the "disfunctional" individuals when nobody is perfect but eveybody in these situations areset to fit the frame of functionality which in this human world is totally out of place when no one is functional...there is not a perfect person, family, couple or situation yet it is in these instances ERQUESTED to fit the frame or suffer judgment...usually by social workers that follow a set of exemple written in handbooks that are based on what is normal...besides what do you mean "they are not fotunate tellers? fortunate at what? there is no fortune implied in living situations where common sense and reasonable judgment is necessary...don't need to be a fortune teller anyways if you wer capable and used common sense...
Concerned citizen wrote:
Why is everyone out to blame the social workers!. We have to accept that they don't know the future, and they can't be with the families 24 hours a day. The fact is that there are very dysfunctional people out there and unfortunately they cannot prevent all the trajedies It's like if we start to blame the police dept. for all the murders. They can't be blamed for that! I think that the social workers do a lot for the community and that they are not portrayed fairly. All the laws and changes can be put in place, and that still will not prevent a percentage of children from suffering abuse or death. Unfortunately, they are not fortunate tellers and they do the best they can, they are not fortune tellers!
Paula

Lancaster, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

"The best advice I have from one foster child to another is that you never give up….Never think that you are worthless". Jane, Age 10

Study: Troubled homes are STILL better than foster care
Kids who stayed with their families were less likely to become juvenile delinquents or teen mothers and more likely to hold jobs as young adults than kids who were removed into foster care.

Fewer than 3% earn college degrees.

How can the government tell us, with statistics like this, that this is protecting the kids?
Paula

Lancaster, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

Quotes From Foster Children
"Mom meant the whole world to me and there wasn’t anything I could do to get her back. It was like I had lost everything." Lucie, Age 19

"I felt so disappointed and heartbroken. I hated my life."
Brittany, Age 13

Kids who stayed with their families were less likely to become juvenile delinquents or teen mothers and more likely to hold jobs as young adults than kids who were removed into foster care.

How can the government tell us, with statistics like this, that this is protecting the kids?
Mia

Mckees Rocks, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2011

Paula wrote:
Quotes From Foster Children
"Mom meant the whole world to me and there wasn’t anything I could do to get her back. It was like I had lost everything." Lucie, Age 19
"I felt so disappointed and heartbroken. I hated my life."
Brittany, Age 13
PLEASE JOIN THE REST OF US FOR A NATIONWIDE PROTEST AUGUST 12TH. FIND OUT MORE DETAILS AT
http://www.facebook.com/home.php...
OR AT http://www.facebook.com/pages/Govabuse-is-tri...
ItzMeAgain

Palmdale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2011

More children are abused while in the custody of DCFS than anywhere else. It's very hard to get help for a truly mentally ill child. They will ignor that one and try to get some familys healthy normal child to adopt out for revenue. That's their bottom line and they will lie to get it, including making up crap and saying your child said it.
anon

Palmdale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Lynn wrote:
I have been a social worker with DCFS for almost 12 years and in that time I have watched DCFS respond to each child death with more and more safeguards put in place in order to develop an "early warning system" when a new child abuse report is filed and investigated. The problem with this is that the investigating CSW's have so much clerical paperwork to do, that they are unable to spend much time actually investigating the abuse incident because they are too busy entering data. Recently more and more children are being removed from their home because this appears to be the safest action to take (for DCFS) as we are constantly scrutinized for every step we take. If the board of supervisors would kindly come to our offices and work with us daily taking on case after case, following time lines, sitting in on meetings with families, and going out with law enforcement, maybe they would have a more realistic view of what we do. And as to the public. DCFS is not perfect however, step into our investigative shoes and see what we see out there.
This is nothing but whining and excuses to me. My family is currently in the middle of one of your so called "investigations". Our boy has been gone for three months. The original charges that started this have been dropped yet here we are still being treated like child abusers and criminals. 3 months with no plan in place. If you have children, I hope they are taken from you by the evil, corrupt organization you are defending. I caught my worker in at LEAST 5 bold faced lies. I will never trust a social worker again and none shall ever enter my home without a warrant. Are you really trying to defend dcfs? You're delusional!
VanM

Euless, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

I'm only speaking from our experience. This is the first time I've ever dealt with CPS. I'm a Mother of five and I have 8 grandchildren. The call that started this well the best way to describe what is happening is to call it a nightmare..the anonymous caller turned it to be the child's father and his mother, the allegation against my daughter and myself. They says we were smoking marijuana that you could smell it as soon as you walk to my door and that my house smelled of cigarettes and child smelled of cigarette smoke. Also that my daughter would often proclaim that the child would frustrate her and she would send him off with one family member and as soon as he hit back off he went with another family member, that he had scratches and a bruised eye, my daughter apparently said the scratches were made by the dog or cat and she didn't know how he got the bruised eye. All of the allegations I just mentioned were proven false. And believe me if I thought my daughter was getting frustrated or if my grandson had scratches and a bruised eye. I would have done something about it. Now here comes the What In The Hell Is Going On part. I took the swab drug test, negative for all drugs all the lines were dark red, but the line for methamphetimine was a pinkish/red...According to the CPS Investigator it was a positive result.. I couldn't believe it so I asked fir another one. I honestly don't know what I thought was going to be different in 3 min, the result the same. I begged and pleaded to please let me follow her to a clinic or anywhere and take a urine or blood test, she said NO, my daughter wasn't home and she didn't have a cell phone I tried calling the father and grandmother no answer, after I found out it was them. I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't answer after all thru knew what was going on. Except that they thought I was a big pot smoker. And please before you judge, I want you to know that beginning that night when she took my grandson until before I read and decided to tell my story. I've done nothing but read articles blogs pharmaceutical data and reviewed several online swab drug tests and the result from mine was NOT positive, this woman cane into my home and because I had never been in this situation I was not aware of all the policies she broke if I had known that she was going to lie on court documents about things she asked me and turn them into things I said if I had one LITTLE doubt I would have taken a picture of both tests, and I would have never let her tsje my grandson. You see she shouldn't have taken him and she knew the drug test was a negative reading but she has an agenda, she is hell bent in terminating my daughters rights and as far as I'm concerned she treats me like I'm some kind of back alley junkie. I have never been treated this way. I even told the LITTLE liar that I would go to an independent lab and have the test me, The LITTLE liar and her Supervisor told me that it didn't matter because they were happy with the tests LITTLE liar took and that the case was not about me but against my daughter.. Oh and the Father because he didn't answer his phone he made himself look like he didn't care about his Son. There is much more but I will save it cause we have a second court hearing on the 24th that is when the hair follicle tests come back for my daughter. I used to have a great deal of respect for CPS workers but not anymore not after all I've read and because if the LITTLE liar we are dealing with. I believe there are more bad CPS employees than Good ones. I'm In San Antonio, Texas

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Rancho Cucamonga News Video

•••
•••

Rancho Cucamonga Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rancho Cucamonga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••