Inflation Sends Food Prices Soaring

Inflation Sends Food Prices Soaring

There are 78 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Apr 15, 2008, titled Inflation Sends Food Prices Soaring. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

Marcey Chocalas is not buying as many eggs these days after a 25 percent price jump from last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

“Rick Carsten has a crush on me”

Since: Nov 07

Elk Grove, CA

#42 Apr 16, 2008
Get Real wrote:
I bet all of you people complaining about the price of food, and shopping at WinCo are driving around in SUV's with 26 inch rims and stereo systems!
If you can't afford groceries, maybe you should have graduated High School and gotten a real job! If your job requires you to have your name on your shirt, you have failed in life!
So achieving the rank of General and being the chair of the Joint Chiefs is considered a failure?
You generalize and are a fricking snob. If not for those who wear their name upon their chests, you would be ass out.
I know of plenty of people who graduated high school, get a university degree and are pieces of dung. It's the person inside the clothing that matters. Not the title or position you dumbass.
Mel

Rancho Cordova, CA

#43 Apr 16, 2008
JTTG wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand. As long as you look at God as someone that you look to for groceries and money...but don't earn it, you will forever miss the point.
You suddenly cannot afford fuel? Let's do the math:
When gasoline was 2.65 a gallon, it cost you 31.80 to fill a 12 gallon fuel tank. That is the average size of most modern vehicles' tank.
Now, it costs you 45.00 to fill the same tank at 3.75 a gallon. So 13.20 difference put you into peanut butter sandwiches for dinner?
Lets see, forgo a single Blockbuster visit this week and you've made up the cost difference.
Not buying that bottle of wine, 12 pack of beer or carton of smokes does the same thing. One commercial music CD not purchased will even things out as well.
In a dire case, you DON'T take your child to the dentist right now. Unless he or she has an abcess or other threatening issue, this can be put off till another time.
I hate buying fuel at these prices just as much as the rest do, but I will not blame the increase for my financial irresponsibility.
Such attitudes of entitlement is the root cause of so many problems in our modern society.
Get over it!
Read about how families got by back in 1930 during the Great Depression if you want to learn how to deal with what is happening right now.
Stop driving all over town for stupid things is a good starter. Plan your trips to avoid wasted travel. Take a look at your lifestyle and cut out the fluff purchases/payments. I bet you have cable or satellite TV that costs you more than a tank of fuel's worth every month. What about the computer you are using to post on Topix? What are you paying every month for power and internet so you can do this?
I'm not saying it's fun, but a good solid look at your lifestyle and a few changes can make a huge difference.
I couldn't agree with you more. Very well said :)

“Enough”

Since: Oct 07

Broderick

#44 Apr 16, 2008
JTTG wrote:
<quoted text>
So achieving the rank of General and being the chair of the Joint Chiefs is considered a failure?
You generalize and are a fricking snob. If not for those who wear their name upon their chests, you would be ass out.
I know of plenty of people who graduated high school, get a university degree and are pieces of dung. It's the person inside the clothing that matters. Not the title or position you dumbass.
heck ya, its all about how hard you work, having a degree dont mean squat if your lazy and think that people owe you something cause you got a degree

“To each his own...”

Fair Oaks

#45 Apr 16, 2008
I have noticed a serious increase of many groceries over the past few months. Any grocery trip for me adds up quick as I am shopping for 4 children and 2 adults!

Most amazing to me is that the crap you DON'T need, like crackers, cookies, etc is all I am seeing on sale. Meat, eggs, milk and other 'staples' are what have increased.

As far as the WinCo, where is one near the Fair Oaks area? The only one I know of is off of Walegra, or somewhere over there. No point in spending $20 in gas to save a few bucks on groceries!

“To each his own...”

Fair Oaks

#46 Apr 16, 2008
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH wrote:
I have seen WinCo Foods listed by some posters. Are there any in Sacramento? The only one I see on the website is in Roseville. Can anyone else recommend a cheaper alternative to Safeway, Bel Air, etc.? The price of EVERYTHING has suddenly shot up. Everything but my PAYCHECK! Any suggestions that could save me money will be much appreciated. I have three kids, and "treats" these days are getting to eat. I was living paycheck to paycheck before, and with gas, housing, and grocery bills swelling, I just can't make it. Oh, and before anyone tells me to get a second job: You're missing the point.
I went with a friend to Dollar tree a couple of months ago, and now I have incorporated it into my shopping for groceries.

I go there first, then hit Big Lots, then grocery shop at a grocery store. Last week, I counted up what I saved by doing that just to see if it was making a difference, I checked the prices at the grocery store for what I bought at the other two places and saved $83.00. That's a heck of a lot of money!!

It takes an extra half hour or so to hit the two other stores, but they are less than a mile from eachother and it takes no extra gas--totally worth it!

Best of luck to you!

Sometimes the truth hurts!

#47 Apr 16, 2008
JTTG wrote:
<quoted text>
Just sound like to me these people have what he or she wants the SUV's with 26 inch rims and stereo systems and doesnt have it and makes this person mad!
Anton Turol

Sacramento, CA

#48 Apr 16, 2008
Hey folks! Good news!! As of 1:30 this afternoon, Food prices are going to go up even higher! Judge Wanger in Fresno ruled that effectively will reduce food production in California! So much for cheaper, safer food produced locally! Good news if all you eat is salmon I suppose, I don't know about you, but I sure can't afford it.
Katie

Sacramento, CA

#49 Apr 16, 2008
Get Real wrote:
I bet all of you people complaining about the price of food, and shopping at WinCo are driving around in SUV's with 26 inch rims and stereo systems!
If you can't afford groceries, maybe you should have graduated High School and gotten a real job! If your job requires you to have your name on your shirt, you have failed in life!
you're from Kansas...now who's the failure?

“Rick Carsten has a crush on me”

Elk Grove, CA

#50 Apr 16, 2008
Another Parent wrote:
I have noticed a serious increase of many groceries over the past few months. Any grocery trip for me adds up quick as I am shopping for 4 children and 2 adults!
Most amazing to me is that the crap you DON'T need, like crackers, cookies, etc is all I am seeing on sale. Meat, eggs, milk and other 'staples' are what have increased.
As far as the WinCo, where is one near the Fair Oaks area? The only one I know of is off of Walegra, or somewhere over there. No point in spending $20 in gas to save a few bucks on groceries!
There is a Winco on Greenback and Illinois or so.
The other location is Rancho, Folsom Blvd down by Zinfandel somewhere.
wheres the beef

Citrus Heights, CA

#51 Apr 16, 2008
There is a WinCo on Greenback, east of Sunrise going towards Orangevale. It is open 24 hours. Yeah!

“To each his own...”

Fair Oaks

#52 Apr 16, 2008
JTTG wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!

:)

“Allergic to BS & liberals”

Since: Dec 07

Somewhere in the foothills...

#53 Apr 16, 2008
Get Real wrote:
No one on this thread said they CAN'T afford groceries. We're all complaining about the high prices and the fact they are continuing to skyrocket. Even people with money don't like to be ripped off.

Being you live in Kansas I'm surprised you even know what an SUV is. And no, it's not considered an SUV just because having it up on cinder blocks in your ftont yard makes it seem bigger. Dumbass.
Princess Leah

Santa Clara, CA

#54 Apr 16, 2008
Just wait until the Democrats put that plastic bag CRV in effect... that'll definitely help people meet their needs.
But hey, it's all for the environment right!:)
Time for me to go try on a burlap dress...

“Happy 29 Again!!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, Ca

#55 Apr 16, 2008
JTTG wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no winco in Rancho Cordova. There is one in Folsom. They are a little cheaper on some things but for me overall it is not much of a savings. I absolutely hate to feel rushed bagging my groceries as well. Nice clean store though.

“Mean Gene”

Since: Jan 08

Sacramento

#56 Apr 16, 2008
motheroftwoteenagers wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no winco in Rancho Cordova. There is one in Folsom. They are a little cheaper on some things but for me overall it is not much of a savings. I absolutely hate to feel rushed bagging my groceries as well. Nice clean store though.
I REFUSE to bag my own groceries. That's what we pay those high prices right? lol....really I'll smash my bread, break the eggs...all bad.

“M&M's mom”

Yuba City, Ca

#57 Apr 16, 2008
GreenEyedLady wrote:
<quoted text>
No one on this thread said they CAN'T afford groceries. We're all complaining about the high prices and the fact they are continuing to skyrocket. Even people with money don't like to be ripped off.
Being you live in Kansas I'm surprised you even know what an SUV is. And no, it's not considered an SUV just because having it up on cinder blocks in your ftont yard makes it seem bigger. Dumbass.
LMAO!!! That was too funny!!!
Thomas

Grass Valley, CA

#58 Apr 16, 2008
Princess Leah wrote:
Just wait until the Democrats put that plastic bag CRV in effect... that'll definitely help people meet their needs.
But hey, it's all for the environment right!:)
Time for me to go try on a burlap dress...
Haha...your comment is great. I might have to try the burlap boxers.
Crozier

Brisbane, CA

#59 Apr 16, 2008
Grocery Outlet outshines all others most of the time. Some of their stores are real good and some others are almost like glorified Dollar Trees. A good one is almost like a regular supermarket with low prices. These places are not govt cheese, welfare or section eight stores either. They have good stuff.
Jacques

United States

#60 Apr 16, 2008
Fifth Generation wrote:
Unfortunately, for those on the tightest incomes, purchasing at places like CostCo and WinCo can be an impossibility. To take advantage of such locations, you have to have your own transportation, or you have to hire a cab.
Without a vehicle of your own, there goes your savings.
With CostCo, it is also a question of the annual membership fee. If you don't have it in hand, you can run into a pretty substantial roadblock.
Unfortunately, most of those who survived the last 30 years have been through this type of thing like maybe 10 times. You get used to it. That's what I mean by life experience.

I took buses for years. I always had cars that wouldn't start. I had to walk in 3 feet of snow.
I hitchhiked across vast parts of the country.
And I still ate, although that was scarce in two or three lifetimes, too.

Just another day. Turn off the TV media extravaganzy and you'll solve most of your attitude problems.

If you are new to swimming, it's scary. If you have been swimming for 30 years, it's not scary.
Jacques

United States

#61 Apr 16, 2008
Flossgirl wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO!!! That was too funny!!!
Not that it's related, but they are giving land away in Kansas. Helps with the food cost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rancho Cordova Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Corner Coffee Shop: The new NOTHING Thread (Jan '08) 5 hr Kiser Sosa 7,217
Need help scoring 6 hr dum black 5
Anybody know Leilani Herr. 10 hr Dave 1
News Home Front: Loan prepayment penalty angers borr... (Jul '08) Fri Blueyss 2
News California officials concerned about possible I... Thu Doe 2
News The most powerful California governor will be t... Jan 18 trevor extreme 11
News Trinity School in Ukiah to close - update (May '09) Jan 17 Nurse Whitney 83

Rancho Cordova Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rancho Cordova Mortgages