Proposed Permit for 2nd New Battery a...

Proposed Permit for 2nd New Battery at U.S. Steel Clairton Coke Works

There are 44 comments on the Allegheny County story from Jul 15, 2009, titled Proposed Permit for 2nd New Battery at U.S. Steel Clairton Coke Works. In it, Allegheny County reports that:

The Allegheny County Health Department today announced that a proposed permit for the installation of a second new coke oven battery at the U.S. Steel Clairton Coke Works is available for public review and comment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Allegheny County.

Since: Apr 09

Clairton

#21 Jul 24, 2009
Rasputin wrote:
<quoted text>
OK....then I was NOT correct in my delayed evaluation of their TACTIC -- but my assessment of their strategy is accurate enough.
Oh, well, maybe the whole thing will just resolve itself. If nothing else sooner or later, the asset depreciation must play out and force them to shut down. Even US Steel cannot operate at loss PERMANENTLY. Perhaps Cap and Trade will accelerate the "tipping point".
Still and all, this seems like essentially a no-win strategy. What's the point in buying yourself some more time if you're not going to use it anyhow? Maybe they ARE just holding their market share until China has the capacity to take it over.
The two new batteries will replace the three older batteries that are scheduled for permanent shutdown by December 2012 and three more that must be shut down by December 2014. Time is running out.
Rasputin

United States

#22 Jul 24, 2009
C town gal wrote:
<quoted text>The two new batteries will replace the three older batteries that are scheduled for permanent shutdown by December 2012 and three more that must be shut down by December 2014. Time is running out.
I was already aware of the time limit. Like I said, maybe the problem will resolve itself. Then again US Steel has a record for simply breaking the law, paying the fines and going on with business as usual. They've just accepted it and factored it in at part of their "cost of doing business".

This is also why I am skeptical of Cap-and-Trade.
I think the "trade" part just gives wealthy violators a rather obvious out that smaller and less environmentally offensive firms just simply can't afford.

Why not make it real simple people? Clean it up or close it down.

In the case of US Steel, they have had over thirty years to clean it up. Moreover, the economic ruin with which they historically have and still continue to threaten Clairton and the MonValley, has, in fact already taken place. As you and many others have pointed out the income is already going elsewhere; the tax money is already going elsewhere......

US Steel needs to clean up their act or take their business elsewhere....like maybe China?
Rasputin

United States

#23 Jul 24, 2009
I think the permit should be refused. Moreover, if they aren't going to use the first one anyhow, it ought to be rescinded. Any economic damage that they can threaten us with has already occurred.....soooo.....what have we got to lose?

Let's call their bluff for once and just see what happens.

Whatcha'think'bout that, kiddo?
Rasputin

United States

#24 Jul 29, 2009
DEFEAT the detested permit! And REVOKE the previous one!

Why wait for cap and trade? Or for the Chinese?

Thirty years is MORE than enough.

Clean it up or close it down -- NOW!
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#25 Jul 29, 2009
Have you seen a good doc about your obsession?

Lot of great staff men at UPMC. Oh, excuse me, you don't live around here either.

Just sticking your nose in other people's business again.
Longlive USS

United States

#26 Jul 29, 2009
USS til hell freezes over
Rasputin

United States

#27 Jul 30, 2009
notasolution wrote:
Have you seen a good doc about your obsession?
Lot of great staff men at UPMC. Oh, excuse me, you don't live around here either.
Just sticking your nose in other people's business again.
As many others, yourself included have pointed out, those bums don't live there any more either.

All they do is commute to pollute and steal the loot; mercenary raiders with chemical weapons.

Tell you what....if they stop waging chemical warfare against the people of the MonValley -- against their own fellow citizens -- I'll stop criticizing the for it.

C'mon.....fair is fair
Rasputin

United States

#28 Jul 30, 2009
Longlive USS wrote:
USS til hell freezes over
With US Steel gone....there won't BE a hell to freeze over.

Oh....and have a nice day.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#29 Jul 30, 2009
and im sure hell will freeze before you decide to come back and practice what you preach.
Rasputin

Houston, TX

#30 Jul 30, 2009
notasolution wrote:
and im sure hell will freeze before you decide to come back and practice what you preach.
When that old dump is ploughed under and some valuable industry moves in, I would love to consider an engineering post with such a company.

With the bums from that old dump gone, the new firms are also likely to get a much better class of employees too....if only because there will be no more USW
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#31 Jul 30, 2009
Rasputin wrote:
<quoted text>
When that old dump is ploughed under and some valuable industry moves in, I would love to consider an engineering post with such a company.
With the bums from that old dump gone, the new firms are also likely to get a much better class of employees too....if only because there will be no more USW
You don't deserve to live back here. You bailed out in the first place. And with all the people you hate back here, why bother.
US STEEL IS KING

United States

#32 Jul 30, 2009
USS kicked his lazy a** out USS threw him out he is a peasant and USS is King this is why he dont like USS
Rasputin

United States

#33 Jul 31, 2009
US STEEL IS KING wrote:
USS kicked his lazy a** out USS threw him out he is a peasant and USS is King this is why he dont like USS
Very good....now tell us why US Steel loses to EVERY foreign competitor -- with a lot of help from those bums in the USW, who think that all new technologie are "job killers" that they have a duty to oppose as a matter of principal.

What will be their strategy when China gets her capacity up and wants their market share? More half-hearted passive resistance? Everyone would be better off it they just let the Chinese walk in. The "people that matter" have their golden parachutes, so why prolong the agony.

This peasant prefers a winning team; not keeping a few bums on life support
Rasputin

United States

#34 Jul 31, 2009
notasolution wrote:
<quoted text>You don't deserve to live back here. You bailed out in the first place. And with all the people you hate back here, why bother.
On that we do agree....once the old dump and its bums are gone, you'll get new industries that will bring modern technologies and a better class of people. Will I come back then? It will depend on what I'm offered....of course, I have a hunch, I may need to learn Chinese.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#35 Jul 31, 2009
There surfaces that angry mean streak again.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#36 Jul 31, 2009
Rasputin wrote:
<quoted text>
On that we do agree....once the old dump and its bums are gone, you'll get new industries that will bring modern technologies and a better class of people. Will I come back then? It will depend on what I'm offered....of course, I have a hunch, I may need to learn Chinese.
For all the hatred you have admitted to, I just think all you will be needing is a fan and some ice cubes for where you are headed.

Since: Apr 09

Clairton

#37 Jul 31, 2009
notasolution wrote:
<quoted text>For all the hatred you have admitted to, I just think all you will be needing is a fan and some ice cubes for where you are headed.
Nos, you accuse Ras of being obsessed, but I counted and you have directed the last fourty two (42)of your posts to put downs directed toward Ras. Who's obsessed?
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#38 Jul 31, 2009
C town gal wrote:
<quoted text>Nos, you accuse Ras of being obsessed, but I counted and you have directed the last fourty two (42)of your posts to put downs directed toward Ras. Who's obsessed?
He is putting down a group of people whom I happen to know personally - one being my son. And I finally got to expose him for what he is.....someone who is so full of his PUREST HATRED that he comes on here to plot his revenge.

Whos calling who obsessed - you actually took the time to count someone's posts?!
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

#39 Jul 31, 2009
C town gal wrote:
<quoted text>Nos, you accuse Ras of being obsessed, but I counted and you have directed the last fourty two (42)of your posts to put downs directed toward Ras. Who's obsessed?
And since you are into counting posts, go back and find the one where I have said that our air quality is wonderful, no upgrades at the mill are needed, and things should just continue the way they are.

I saw right through the blame game from the beginning. You only listened to his ideas. You chose to ignore his constant put-downs of people he doesn't know or will ever meet.

You have a forum on here about the racism in Clairton. Well, Im afraid this is just as ugly.
Rasputin

United States

#40 Jul 31, 2009
notasolution wrote:
<quoted text>He is putting down a group of people whom I happen to know personally - one being my son. And I finally got to expose him for what he is.....someone who is so full of his PUREST HATRED that he comes on here to plot his revenge.
Whos calling who obsessed - you actually took the time to count someone's posts?!
Plot revenge....against whom? An old dump that's already doomed.....a few neanderthal throwbacks who will go the way of dinosaurs when it is plowed under.....all this will take place with out any aid from me.

And now you've started harassing my good friend. How sad! This is what FoulMouth started doing toward the end -- guilt by association....As I said, this is the sort of thing I expect from those bums that commute to loot and pollute. I had, however, thought more highly of you.

Perhaps, you ought to rethink some of these more unsavory associations?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ralston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Aug '15 Archie Bunker 8
Fat cops (Oct '14) Aug '15 Watchdog 2
News How healthy are Pittsburgh's underserved commun... (Oct '14) Oct '14 K1D2K3A 4
News Ralston Announces Candidacy for School Director (Nov '13) Nov '13 taxpayer 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Oct '12 Satisfied Mind 12
News Clearfield School District Mulls Building Purchase (Aug '11) Sep '11 bubba 15

Ralston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ralston Mortgages