Proposed Permit for 2nd New Battery at U.S. Steel Clairton Coke Works

Jul 15, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Allegheny County

The Allegheny County Health Department today announced that a proposed permit for the installation of a second new coke oven battery at the U.S. Steel Clairton Coke Works is available for public review and comment.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Just another promise of upgrades that will never take place. If they were REALLY serious they would go ahead with the permit they already had for the first battery. Once again, they will go through the motions of getting the permit -- that's just for show. Then, like the first one it will be delayed indefinitely and ultimately cancelled in yet another "economy move."

Thus US Steel will continue its de facto policies of passive resistance to environmental protection as well as technological progress in parallel with general asset depreciation through breakdown maintenance.

How many times does US Steel have to write the MonValley off before the Valley finally writes US Steel off?
JustMe

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Rasputin wrote:
Just another promise of upgrades that will never take place. If they were REALLY serious they would go ahead with the permit they already had for the first battery. Once again, they will go through the motions of getting the permit -- that's just for show. Then, like the first one it will be delayed indefinitely and ultimately cancelled in yet another "economy move."
Thus US Steel will continue its de facto policies of passive resistance to environmental protection as well as technological progress in parallel with general asset depreciation through breakdown maintenance.
How many times does US Steel have to write the MonValley off before the Valley finally writes US Steel off?
The permit for the first one does not expire til i believe April 2010. So they have until that time to continue with the upgrade without getting another permit issued.
JustMe

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

This article has a website for comments in case you hadn't read the whole article.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

And you Ras will continue to criticize without doing anything about it. Everything you hate about US Steel - you do the exact same thing.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

That's because for thirty years US Steel has followed the same policy and there is no reason to suppose they will change. Depreciation of the assets through breakdown maintenance coupled with political chicanery for the press and the general public.
If we have the same people, with same attitudes, in the same situation, doing the same things
Guess what?
We're gonna get the same results....Sooo...if it does sound like the same old story, that's probably because it is.
I'll make you a deal though...if US Steel ever quits DOING the "exact same thing", I'll stop saying that it's the "exact same thing"
Fair enough?
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

JustMe wrote:
This article has a website for comments in case you hadn't read the whole article.
I know....I told them they need to quit screwin' around and close the darn thing up
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

JustMe wrote:
<quoted text>
The permit for the first one does not expire til i believe April 2010. So they have until that time to continue with the upgrade without getting another permit issued.
So why not just go ahead with the one they've got? That is if they are REALLY serious?

ANSWER: They are NOT serious....just blowing more of their political smoke to go with the kind that comes out of the stacks.

After thirty years, I would hope even they would get bored with that same old scratchy record......
but.....it's not gonna happen.
JustMe

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Rasputin wrote:
<quoted text>
So why not just go ahead with the one they've got? That is if they are REALLY serious?
ANSWER: They are NOT serious....just blowing more of their political smoke to go with the kind that comes out of the stacks.
After thirty years, I would hope even they would get bored with that same old scratchy record......
but.....it's not gonna happen.
I don't know maybe they are going to start the upgrade, maybe it just isn't public yet. We'll just have to wait and see. Keep reading the news! They definetely won't be using the contractor and engineers that they originally hired for the upgrade.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

JustMe wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know maybe they are going to start the upgrade, maybe it just isn't public yet. We'll just have to wait and see. Keep reading the news! They definetely won't be using the contractor and engineers that they originally hired for the upgrade.
Based on passed history....their won't be ANY upgrade. They'll go through the motions, then come the excuses and delays....and finally it will eliminated in an "economy move".....to be followed by another round of corporate poor-mouthing, job threats and other strong-arm scare tactics.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Where have you been Ras? We are all still waiting for you to come back and do as you suggest. Not coming - well what a big surprise! Just passing time criticizing everything just like always.

After pages and pages and pages of posts - we are all getting bored with the same old scratchy record on here too....your words.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

notasolution wrote:
Where have you been Ras? We are all still waiting for you to come back and do as you suggest. Not coming - well what a big surprise! Just passing time criticizing everything just like always.
After pages and pages and pages of posts - we are all getting bored with the same old scratchy record on here too....your words.
First you say go....then you say come back.

Can't have it both ways.

First you say Foul-Mouth was honest and outspoken....then you say not to judge the local by him.

Can't have it both ways.

When the Fuel Cell Center Project gets going, if they decide to make me a reasonable offer, I might accept. No more Coke Works; no more bums -- it could be a good deal after all.

Can't have it both ways.
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

No - you still need to go. Because you don't make any sense. My point always has been - you won't come back here and stand behind what you say. You are typical of what we call in medicine - Short Man Syndrome - all bark - no bite.

Second - I still think Freddy was outspoken and you couldn't take it. But, never once did I ever say it was OK to make your point using foul language. You drew that conclusion on your own (your pattern)

And to once again refer to the people at US Steel as bums.....Do you actually work for a living yourself? Because you spend an awful lot of time obsessing over things that don't concern you. If that isn't the prime example of a bum....then I don't know what is. You are just a bum that gets dressed up to go to work and doesn't get dirty. That's all. Same thing.

There isn't going to be any Fuel Cell project anytime soon - so relax....keep your resume....feed it to your paper shredder.

Since: Apr 09

Clairton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

notasolution wrote:
No - you still need to go. Because you don't make any sense. My point always has been - you won't come back here and stand behind what you say. You are typical of what we call in medicine - Short Man Syndrome - all bark - no bite.
Second - I still think Freddy was outspoken and you couldn't take it. But, never once did I ever say it was OK to make your point using foul language. You drew that conclusion on your own (your pattern)
And to once again refer to the people at US Steel as bums.....Do you actually work for a living yourself? Because you spend an awful lot of time obsessing over things that don't concern you. If that isn't the prime example of a bum....then I don't know what is. You are just a bum that gets dressed up to go to work and doesn't get dirty. That's all. Same thing.
There isn't going to be any Fuel Cell project anytime soon - so relax....keep your resume....feed it to your paper shredder.
Freddy outspoken? I never read anything from him but insults and I laugh at you directed toward Ras, he contributed nothing as far as solutions. There is a public forum on this very thread by the way (Proposed permit for USS coke works) on the 29th of July at 6:30- Clairton Municipal building, I hope you can make it, I will be there it should be interesting to hear what USS has to say, right out of the old "dead" horses mouth so to speak. I hope you'll come.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

C town gal wrote:
<quoted text>Freddy outspoken? I never read anything from him but insults and I laugh at you directed toward Ras, he contributed nothing as far as solutions. There is a public forum on this very thread by the way (Proposed permit for USS coke works) on the 29th of July at 6:30- Clairton Municipal building, I hope you can make it, I will be there it should be interesting to hear what USS has to say, right out of the old "dead" horses mouth so to speak. I hope you'll come.
Now, now, kid....I appreciate your spirited defense and kind comments -- they're VERY generous. However, FoulMouth did make at least one very useful contribution. He showed the TRUE character of the USW and its membership.

They are, to be sure. more subtle than wild west outlaws who ride into town and "shoot up the place". No they just methodically release poison gas over an eight hour shift and call it "honest work". Then, as you and NAS BOTH point out, they go home to their families -- who live "some place nice"

NAS concern for them is VERY touching, but, like you, I would still rather be on the side of the victims rather than the assassins.

As for the complaint that I am an outsider, well, apparently they only have a problem if the outsider doesn't work at the Coke Works and does not LIKE the Coke Works.....Glad I fail on both counts.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

notasolution wrote:
Hmmmm....now I'm the one who uses bad language....but Freddy was banned from posting.
I guess I'm not the only one who recognizes a bum when I see one.

I'm sorry you feel that way about our efforts on the Fuel Cell Project. At least that might benefit the town; the Coke Works contributes only poison gas.

As for my lack of concern for the USW, what do they contribute to Clairton besides poison gas?
You're rights -- bums is probably to kind a word
notasolution

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

You remind me of the people who are so mentally deranged that they show up with a gun one day to prove their point on innocent people.

Your obsession is scary.

You are an outsider who has chosen to live elsewhere and not contribute anything but insults to this area.

You may call the men bums....but you couldn't even make a pimple of theirs..........

Clairton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

In reference to the proposed installation of C & D Batteries at the Clairton Coke Works: System was designed by Uhde Corporation, they are a division of German based Thyssenkrupp Technologies. It is termed the PROven System (pressure regulated oven). I have the 96 page very detailed draft of the permit (for D Battery but C is the same) and the technical support document the from the Health Department. If anyone is interested in reading it I would be happy to send. Please email me at c.towngal@yahoo.com
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

C town gal wrote:
In reference to the proposed installation of C & D Batteries at the Clairton Coke Works: System was designed by Uhde Corporation, they are a division of German based Thyssenkrupp Technologies. It is termed the PROven System (pressure regulated oven). I have the 96 page very detailed draft of the permit (for D Battery but C is the same) and the technical support document the from the Health Department. If anyone is interested in reading it I would be happy to send. Please email me at c.towngal@yahoo.com
Please mail one to me at patrickjhealy2001@yahoo.com

We are not allowed to access personal emails here at the refinery and anyway I've been wanting to open direct communication with you and some others now that FoulMouth is gone.

One thing I do NOT understand is why they are even bothering with this submittal. Why bother?Why not go ahead with the permit they already have? Unless, of course, I'm right and they are just going through motions. Then again.....even motions cost something.

What's your take on it, kid?

Clairton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Rasputin wrote:
<quoted text>
Please mail one to me at patrickjhealy2001@yahoo.com
We are not allowed to access personal emails here at the refinery and anyway I've been wanting to open direct communication with you and some others now that FoulMouth is gone.
One thing I do NOT understand is why they are even bothering with this submittal. Why bother?Why not go ahead with the permit they already have? Unless, of course, I'm right and they are just going through motions. Then again.....even motions cost something.
What's your take on it, kid?
Once this new Proposed permit has passed (and it will be) USS has 18 months after that to start construction. If (when) the first permit expires they have the second one so yes, it will buy more time for USS. The forum at the Clairton Municipal Bldg. on July 29 will just be talking points on USS's part. All other comments will be submitted and scrutinized beforehand. Why bother.
Rasputin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

C town gal wrote:
<quoted text> Once this new Proposed permit has passed (and it will be) USS has 18 months after that to start construction. If (when) the first permit expires they have the second one so yes, it will buy more time for USS. The forum at the Clairton Municipal Bldg. on July 29 will just be talking points on USS's part. All other comments will be submitted and scrutinized beforehand. Why bother.
OK....then I was NOT correct in my delayed evaluation of their TACTIC -- but my assessment of their strategy is accurate enough.

Oh, well, maybe the whole thing will just resolve itself. If nothing else sooner or later, the asset depreciation must play out and force them to shut down. Even US Steel cannot operate at loss PERMANENTLY. Perhaps Cap and Trade will accelerate the "tipping point".

Still and all, this seems like essentially a no-win strategy. What's the point in buying yourself some more time if you're not going to use it anyhow? Maybe they ARE just holding their market share until China has the capacity to take it over.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Ralston Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Ralston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance