Authorities: Graettinger, IA Attacked, Man Shoots Himself

Authorities in Palo Alto County, Iowa are investigating a beating and shooting that ended with one woman in the hospital and a man dead. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
salena williams

United States

#1 Jan 4, 2008
What a terrible situation this brutal attack on Kolleen was. I pray for her and her family. THis goes to show what kind of world it has become that a person is not even safe in there own home or that it makes you wounder if you should even let any one in youre home. God bless her and her family and my heart goes out to them. Hope her recovery is a quick and a fast one.Thank GOD she is a strong woman.
mike jansen

United States

#2 Jan 7, 2008
I have heard many stories about this, and I pray for all those involved. I hope we are hearing the truth from the sherrif. I have heard other stories. I don't know how a person can shoot themselves in the chest with a shotgun.
Karie Bumann

Estherville, IA

#3 Jan 7, 2008
salena williams wrote:
What a terrible situation this brutal attack on Kolleen was. I pray for her and her family. THis goes to show what kind of world it has become that a person is not even safe in there own home or that it makes you wounder if you should even let any one in youre home. God bless her and her family and my heart goes out to them. Hope her recovery is a quick and a fast one.Thank GOD she is a strong woman.
You dont even know him and what about his family and his kids she has already told 3 different stories what about that?
Polly Jansen

Estherville, IA

#4 Jan 7, 2008
I would like to ask for prayers for the families involved. Parents aren't suppose to bury their children. I have only known the Thompson family for a short time. They are wonderful people and
have great horse sense. Please Lord help the law
enforcement solve this case. Everyone seems to comment on the negative. Why can't we report of the postive things people do in this world. I am so sorry this happened and pray for all concerned.
A Relative

Calgary, Canada

#5 Jan 7, 2008
Absolutely, along with the victim of this crime, the family of the man who did it do deserve our prayers. However, in response to post #3: I think the more important question is what about Kolleen and HER family. She's the one who was attacked in her own home, she's the one who had to fight for her life, she's the one who is in the hospital recovering from the physical wounds (the psychological ones may last forever), and she's the one who is going to have to try to feel safe in her own home again. I'm sure the family of this man is also suffering, and since they are innocent they deserve our sympathy, but there is something seriously wrong if anyone thinks we should feel more sorry for the perpetrator than the victim.
Oh, and about the "3 different stories," I'm wondering how you would have this inside information that she changed her story 3 times? I doubt the police officers who took her statement have told anyone what, exactly, that statement was. Especially someone not involved in the case. Sounds like a rumor or speculation on your part at best. Even if there were "different stories," perhaps someone as shaken up as I can only imagine you would be after something like this (not to mention suffering from a concussion) may be a bit fuzzy on a few minor details?
A Relative

Calgary, Canada

#6 Jan 8, 2008
mike jansen wrote:
I don't know how a person can shoot themselves in the chest with a shotgun.
The articles state that there were 2 rifles in his vehicle and a pistol in the house. It was the pistol found next to his body, not a rifle.
Frustrated

New Iberia, LA

#7 Jan 15, 2008
This was a terrible situation for all involved. There isn't 3 different stories told by Kolleen, only one. My only hope is that now the state and counties will start taking the fact that when a person has a domestic abuse charge against them and are not to be around any weapons that there is a reason for it. It's too bad that no one helped him.
Sickened

New Iberia, LA

#8 Jan 15, 2008
Karie Bumann wrote:
<quoted text>You dont even know him and what about his family and his kids she has already told 3 different stories what about that?
I am sickened by your comments. An innocent woman attacked, what about her and her family. This was a horrible tragedy. I've read your posts on other articles and can say that you didn't REALLY know any of them. I could go on for days but do not wish to speak ill of the deceased. He was a troubled man for many years and no one bothered to make sure that he wouldn't be harmful to himself or others. He had attempted suicide in the past& had domestic charges on his record and you are shocked?
rakian

Forest City, IA

#9 Feb 3, 2008
really sad
salena williams

United States

#10 Apr 23, 2008
HOW COULD ANY ONE FEEL SORRY FOR TRACY THOMPSON. HE DID THE WORLD A FAVOR BY TAKING HIS OWN LIFE .AND BY THE WAY I DID KNOW HIM , AND EVEN IF I DIDNT IDE STILL WOULD THINK HE WAS ONE SICK PERSON FOR WHAT HE DID. NO ONE DESERVES TO HAVE ANYONE COME INTO THERE OWN HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE AND HAVE SUCH A TERRIBLE THING DONE TO THEM.I DO FEEL FOR HIS FAMILY AND HOPE AND PRAY THEY DONT SUFFER FOR WHAT THERE SON DID TO THERE LIFE LONG NEIGHBOR. BUT WHAT THE HECK GET OVER IT PEOPLE FACE THE FACTS HE WAS SICK IN THE HEAD FOR WHAT HE DID.WHAT DID KOLLEEN DO TO HIM ,NOTHING THATS WHAT.KOLLEEN HAS NO REASON TO LYE ABOUT THE HORRIBLE THING THAT HE DID . SHES NOT THE GUILTY ONE SHE THE VICTIM AND DESERVES RESPECT .AND IF ANY ONE THINKS SHE THE ONE AT FAULT YOURE JUST AS SICK AS HIM.GOD GAVE HER THE WILL NOT TO DIE AND TO FIGHT HER WAY OUT OF A NIGHTMARE AND WE THANK GOD HER LET HER COME OUT ALIVE. SHE IS A STRONG WOMEN AND THATS GREAT , SOME ONE COMMENTED ABOUT TRACYS FAMILY AND HIS KIDS ,WHAT ABOUT KOLLEENS ,SHE HAS A GREAT HUSBAND AND SONS AND GRANDCHILDREN THAT LOVE HER AND THEY SUFFER FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AS WELL AS TRACYS FAMILY, REMEMBER WHO THE VICTIM IS HERE . SHE DIDNT GO TO HIS HOUSE AND DO A TERRIBLE THING TO HIM ,SHES THE VICTIM OF A TERRIBLE CRIME AGAINST HER .BLESS HER AND HER FAMILY,
salena williams

United States

#11 Apr 23, 2008
Karie Bumann wrote:
<quoted text>You dont even know him and what about his family and his kids she has already told 3 different stories what about that?
I did know tracy and I feel sorry for his family and his kids . And if all youre worried about is his family, youre as sick as him. shes the victim ,and let some one do what tracy did to kolleen ,to you and see if you remember every moment as some one has beat you over the back of the head with a gun and attacks you .hopefully you will never have to experence it.
Angry as hell

United States

#12 May 14, 2008
salena williams wrote:
HOW COULD ANY ONE FEEL SORRY FOR TRACY THOMPSON. HE DID THE WORLD A FAVOR BY TAKING HIS OWN LIFE .AND BY THE WAY I DID KNOW HIM , AND EVEN IF I DIDNT IDE STILL WOULD THINK HE WAS ONE SICK PERSON FOR WHAT HE DID. NO ONE DESERVES TO HAVE ANYONE COME INTO THERE OWN HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE AND HAVE SUCH A TERRIBLE THING DONE TO THEM.I DO FEEL FOR HIS FAMILY AND HOPE AND PRAY THEY DONT SUFFER FOR WHAT THERE SON DID TO THERE LIFE LONG NEIGHBOR. BUT WHAT THE HECK GET OVER IT PEOPLE FACE THE FACTS HE WAS SICK IN THE HEAD FOR WHAT HE DID.WHAT DID KOLLEEN DO TO HIM ,NOTHING THATS WHAT.KOLLEEN HAS NO REASON TO LYE ABOUT THE HORRIBLE THING THAT HE DID . SHES NOT THE GUILTY ONE SHE THE VICTIM AND DESERVES RESPECT .AND IF ANY ONE THINKS SHE THE ONE AT FAULT YOURE JUST AS SICK AS HIM.GOD GAVE HER THE WILL NOT TO DIE AND TO FIGHT HER WAY OUT OF A NIGHTMARE AND WE THANK GOD HER LET HER COME OUT ALIVE. SHE IS A STRONG WOMEN AND THATS GREAT , SOME ONE COMMENTED ABOUT TRACYS FAMILY AND HIS KIDS ,WHAT ABOUT KOLLEENS ,SHE HAS A GREAT HUSBAND AND SONS AND GRANDCHILDREN THAT LOVE HER AND THEY SUFFER FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AS WELL AS TRACYS FAMILY, REMEMBER WHO THE VICTIM IS HERE . SHE DIDNT GO TO HIS HOUSE AND DO A TERRIBLE THING TO HIM ,SHES THE VICTIM OF A TERRIBLE CRIME AGAINST HER .BLESS HER AND HER FAMILY,
I agree he was in need of help. However, to say that he did the world a favor is fucked up. Why, because you didn't like him? He touched many peoples lives and now his children have to live without their father and struggle everyday about "what if's" and "why would he leave us". The whole situation is messed up and everyone feels for Colleen and her family but don't ever say that someone is doing the world a favor by taking their own life just because you don't like them. People may be saying that about you right now. No matter what kind of life they lead they still deserve some kind of respect. Not EVERYTHING in his life was wrong or bad and how do you think his children would feel if they were to see what you posted? You are no better than he is, do you know how many people you hurt by making such an ignorant comment? Stupid Ass
Friend

Cedar Rapids, IA

#13 Jun 21, 2008
To angry as hell, you have made a good point
a_christensen

United States

#14 Jul 22, 2008
it's sad when anything like this happens in small- town,iowa! especially for all the kids. but it is real sad too hear you people split hairs,after the fact.
tired of the run around

Sioux Rapids, IA

#15 Sep 28, 2008
I just came across this blog and even though it happened quit some time ago, I feel the need to say that I too, have heard several different stories from the "victim", Kolleen. Also, not a one of us was at the house to see or hear exactly what happened. I too have been told by various reputable sources that it was a shotgun - however, none of that matters now, she's alive with her conscience about what really happened and how she and her family handled the situation. Only those directly involved know exactly what happened. Tracy was a good guy, with a WONDERFUL family, and an extraordinary way of handling kids - too bad you couldn't have been at the CCF to hear the many favorable comments about him - he touched a lot of lives. Salena, I hope you get the help you need with your anger/hostility issues because the way you feel is not healthy. We need to let God take care of the naysayers, and say prayers for all those involved - this is not, nor will it be an easy year for the family of Tracy Thompson, irregardless of the circumunstances!!
Liz

Toney, AL

#16 Jan 26, 2010
salena williams wrote:
ok i feel very sorry for Tracy he was my father that i never met
Tracys Daughter

Graettinger, IA

#17 Feb 10, 2010
First off, Salena, you better hope i never meet you. i just want to let you know how sickening it is to me to read this. If you feel sorry for Koleen, i feel sorry for you because YOU are the ones who are sick in the head! Obviously she's a fuckin liar if she has 3 different stories. BRUTALLY ATTACKED!?! UGH! just to let you know, my father was an AMAZING man and none of you will EVER amoun to him. my brother use to get in so much trouble for hitting my when we fought growing up. my dad would always say girls/women are meant to be treated with respect & you think he would do something like that? It took my dads ex-wife stabbing him 2ce with a 4inch knife in the side before he hit her and that was in self defense. My father was a caring, hard-working, well respected, loving man, and did ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for ANYBODY! you have no right to sit here and talk shit about him. and if you really felt that bad for that pathelogical liar then why were you sitting on your fat asses writting this crap when you could of been there helping her through her hard times. i'm assuming you're adults so GROW UP! My dad was a sad man on the inside, but I DO NOT believe even for a second that it was suicide. my father was my fucking world and it exploded right in front of me jan. 3rd 2008.i'll never be able to put the pieces of my heart back together. i have to grow up without my father, my best friend, my world. you still have that bitch in your lives. you're all pathetic for not seeing how full of shit kolleen is. none of her stories are the same. i would be able to understand forgetting a couple things due to her condition she was in, but not having 3 completely different stories. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! feel sorry for her if you want, but you think about my family before you post this stupid shit on the computer for the world to see about a man you obviously DONT know. kolleen's family still has her today, and she has all the answers that haunt my family EVERY DAY! my older brother and i no longer have a dad to come home to, and we get to sit around and ask ourselves why ad wonder what exactly even happened. YEAH, KOLLEEN HAS IT SO.. BAD! ATLEAST THAT BITCH STILL HAS HER LIFE AND FAMILY!
liz

Toney, AL

#18 Feb 14, 2010
Tracys Daughter wrote:
First off, Salena, you better hope i never meet you. i just want to let you know how sickening it is to me to read this. If you feel sorry for Koleen, i feel sorry for you because YOU are the ones who are sick in the head! Obviously she's a fuckin liar if she has 3 different stories. BRUTALLY ATTACKED!?! UGH! just to let you know, my father was an AMAZING man and none of you will EVER amoun to him. my brother use to get in so much trouble for hitting my when we fought growing up. my dad would always say girls/women are meant to be treated with respect & you think he would do something like that? It took my dads ex-wife stabbing him 2ce with a 4inch knife in the side before he hit her and that was in self defense. My father was a caring, hard-working, well respected, loving man, and did ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for ANYBODY! you have no right to sit here and talk shit about him. and if you really felt that bad for that pathelogical liar then why were you sitting on your fat asses writting this crap when you could of been there helping her through her hard times. i'm assuming you're adults so GROW UP! My dad was a sad man on the inside, but I DO NOT believe even for a second that it was suicide. my father was my fucking world and it exploded right in front of me jan. 3rd 2008.i'll never be able to put the pieces of my heart back together. i have to grow up without my father, my best friend, my world. you still have that bitch in your lives. you're all pathetic for not seeing how full of shit kolleen is. none of her stories are the same. i would be able to understand forgetting a couple things due to her condition she was in, but not having 3 completely different stories. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! feel sorry for her if you want, but you think about my family before you post this stupid shit on the computer for the world to see about a man you obviously DONT know. kolleen's family still has her today, and she has all the answers that haunt my family EVERY DAY! my older brother and i no longer have a dad to come home to, and we get to sit around and ask ourselves why ad wonder what exactly even happened. YEAH, KOLLEEN HAS IT SO.. BAD! ATLEAST THAT BITCH STILL HAS HER LIFE AND FAMILY!
Ya i like what u wrote here and btw im ur younger sister that u have never met
Tracys Daughter

Graettinger, IA

#19 Feb 15, 2010
ok.. i saw what you worte before and i was actually thinking about getting in touch with you. would that be something that would interest you. or would you ever be ok with that?
liz

Toney, AL

#20 Feb 19, 2010
Tracys Daughter wrote:
ok.. i saw what you worte before and i was actually thinking about getting in touch with you. would that be something that would interest you. or would you ever be ok with that?
ya that would be really cool jw how old r u and ur brother

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crime Rising In Rake,Iowa (Sep '07) Jan '14 sue jutting 10
The be st website in the world!? (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dave Czlapinski 1
find sex tonight in your town free! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Elfriede Gogins 1
Donations Needed for Rake Register Papers Micro... (Sep '07) Sep '07 Rake Iowa 1
Mange Tukk Celebration (Aug '07) Aug '07 MJ Floon 2
News Fair kicks off; queen crowned (Aug '07) Aug '07 rake iowa 1
Rake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]