Thinking of helping Safe Harbor Human...

Thinking of helping Safe Harbor Humane Society? Think again...

Posted in the Racine Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truther

Kenosha, WI

#1 Feb 10, 2012
http://www.cbs58.com/news/youve-got-to-be-kid...

This is not the first and definitely not the last bad news we will hear about them. I have too many horror stories to share. I used to be an avid supporter - financially and also provided a foster home. Their greed disgusted me one too many times and I walked away. Their facilities are disgusting and their paid staff are even worse.
Rachel Zoe

Muskego, WI

#2 Apr 10, 2012
I understand the need for money, after all, the animals need to be taken care of. I myself had a great experience with Safe Harbor Humane Society. I fostered my dog until adoption was completed, They neutered him as a part of adoption price, &am so greatful that Safe Harbor helped me find my furry friend.:)
ericn snow

Racine, WI

#3 Jun 27, 2012
F#$K those guys THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANIMALS!! when I adopted my sabrina thank god I did all they care about are the "ADOPTABLE" animals and nothing less.. please if your reading this please,please adopt an animal from here so they can leave this hell hole!!!!
Deanna Swanson

Racine, WI

#4 Aug 1, 2012
Went to safe harbor yesterday. My stepson was sad because his older sister was able to take her dog from our home into her own... So we decided to go browse the kennel to find the perfect dog for him. We found a couple we were interested in. We filled out the application and gave it to the girl at the front desk. She is a friend o mine on Facebook and gave me and my husband attitude because she was under the impression we had two dogs... Which is none o her business in the first place.y step son wanted to play with a smaller pit and we were directed to the play area by one of the staff. The guy who showed us the dog, Chris, was in a rush and was very rude. Told us that the boy had to stay by us... That the wasn't sure how the dog would react to a child. He was getting aggitated cuz my step son kept trying to wih the do with a ball.The dog was very friendly and didn't jump at my step son... My question is this; do you want to adopt out the dog or keep it locked up on a kennel where he is prone to getting sick?! How in the hell are we supposed to know if the dog is good with a child if you don't let them play?! This place is a joke! No wonder their kennels are constantly full! They are extremely rude and I would NEVER support their kennel after this experience!
Mischa

United States

#5 Nov 7, 2012
I wanted to adopt a cat from them. At first they were being cool about it. I wanted my cat to have a companion. She's a little older and thought another cat would pep her up. We also have a beagle who loves cats. Well as soon as they found out we were a military family, they didn't want to let us adopt because "we will be moving to another state in a year and that if something happened we couldn't bring the cat back to them." Both the beagle and cat I have now are rescues. They were left behind and we kept them. I guess they have prejudices against military families. Thanks Safe Harbor for getting my hopes up and then stabbing me in the heart when I couldn't get the cat. I will be letting everyone here on the navy base not to get an animal from you guys.
John Shull

Racine, WI

#6 Nov 16, 2012
my cat alex is from there. what a wonderful cat alex is and the staff were wonderful. all the animals seemed to be taken care of and overall alex's adoption was a good experience. i have alex 7 years now and he is the purrfect friend.
Unknown

Brookfield, WI

#7 May 9, 2013
I volunteer there and the reason the kennels are always full is because they take all of the unwanted animals from all of Kenosha county. So many people get a pet and then something changes in there life and the don't want it anymore or they can't have it anymore. These animals have already been abandoned once. I appriceate that safe harbor takes the time to find the right home for them not just any home. You have to remember that they deal with people every day that had gotten an animal and no longer want it. You can't blame them for wanting to make sure that when one gets adopted that it really will be a FOREVER home.
Danielle Aguilar

Muskego, WI

#8 May 30, 2013
I called these guys because I had to move because of financial hardship and asked if they could take my cats, they told me their kennels were full and if I surrendered my animals they would be put to sleep, how humane of them.
nick aarnio

United States

#9 May 31, 2013
I've owned dogs my whole life. 2 years ago when my Monty died I wanted to adopt. I go to safe harbor, find the dog I like only to find out I cannot adopt because I've never owned a dog in my name. Wtf sense does that make? How are people who never owned a dog supposed to adopt? Were they just BSing me?? Go to orphan kanines in Racine.. I got my amazing beta from there. Much better experience
LAL

Tulsa, OK

#10 Aug 22, 2013
I adopted 3 cats from Safe Harbor Humane Society over the course of 6 years. My friend adopted a dog and 2 cats from them and her father also adopted a dog from them. We all couldn't be happier with our choices. All of our cats and dogs are wonderful, happy, healthy animals and a huge part of our families. The staff was very kind and happy to see their abandoned and homeless animals go off to their new forever homes, they were nothing but supportive. It's a shame other people have had bad experiences with them. I can only share my, my friend's and my friend's dad's great experience with this shelter. I will adopt from them in the future.
Sheila

United States

#11 Sep 14, 2013
I donate items to Safe Harbor. I have also fostered. I think it is always more beneficial for the animals to have sales to be adopted quicker. I would also focus on getting them into homes instead of looking for reasons not to. Some people let go of a pet and then years later lived to regret it or wished they didn't have to. These people would be great homes because they do have sadness over it and want redemption through taking care of another pet. I wouldn't judge everyone by their past too harshly. Also, I wish Kenisha would ease up on their rules regarding number of pets. How about the size of the home? Some people have large homes which have plenty of room for additional pets. Lastly, kennels should be kept cleaner. To the community: please donate rawhides for the dogs. Scratching boards for the cats. It gives them some enjoyment and can distract them from being locked up so much. Volunteer. Do what you can. There is room for improvement all the way around. We can all make Safe Harbor better each day.
Keno girl

United States

#12 Sep 14, 2013
Extremely sad story. Please work WITH families, not against them. Things happen unintentionally. We know you come across bad owners, but don't take it out on everyone. Not everyone is a bad pet owner.:( The fees should be lower to get tge pet back. Finding a home or returning them is more important than making $. Its all about the animals isnt it? http://www.cbs58.com/news/youve-got-to-be-kid...
QueenB BaeB

United States

#13 Mar 11, 2014
They claim that they are a no kill shelter.... lets just put it this way i brought my little brothers friendly pit who was just not getting enough attention at home because of the new baby. Thinking if we brought him there it would take no time for them to find a good home for him . Because that shit hole was new to him he was barking alot do to the other animals. Next day my brother called to check up on him and they had already put him down not even 24hrs of being there. He is still devostated :'(
shelter friend

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 20, 2014
QueenB BaeB wrote:
They claim that they are a no kill shelter.... lets just put it this way i brought my little brothers friendly pit who was just not getting enough attention at home because of the new baby. Thinking if we brought him there it would take no time for them to find a good home for him . Because that shit hole was new to him he was barking alot do to the other animals. Next day my brother called to check up on him and they had already put him down not even 24hrs of being there. He is still devostated :'(
Safe Harbor does not claim to be a no-kill shelter, there are an open-admission shelter. They take in EVERY animal that walks in the door from the towns that hold contracts with them. When they are near capacity they work with rescues and fosters to find other places for aninmals. In additon, they often run adoption "specials" where the adoption fees are waived or so low that they do not cover the cost of care for the animal. All in an effort to make more space so that animals do not have to be euthanized. No adoptable dog would be put down for barking too much at Safe Harbor.
cat mom

Elkhorn, WI

#15 Apr 24, 2014
we lost our 19 year old and 21 year old cat wanted to adopt 2 cats and were rejected. our 5 year old cat had a reaction to the shots and almost died and it is noted on his records. in order for us to adopt we would have to put our cat that almost died at risk for losing his life again. spoke with our vet of 21 years and he was shocked that we were rejected he said he would find us two healthy kittens the cats we wanted to adopt are still in cages 2 and half months later.
Elisabeth

Madison, WI

#16 May 9, 2014
Wanted to help this shelter and foster kittens which I have done in the past. Filled out another foster app and was told this year I could not foster for them because I have a toddler. I will never support this shelter again.
Debbie

Kenosha, WI

#17 May 18, 2014
Wow found a bunch of feral kittens last year at this time , got mad because they were messing with the birds so called they came out set a trap and caught one felt so bad I decided I wanted to bring it in to my home called went there it was to late they put it down in a matter of hours I was so sad and mad they didn't even give the kitten a chance I was pissed then a couple weeks later they sent me a letter for donations never I feel bad for the animals because they don't have a chance there was 4 one for sure I know they put down 2 I have know idea but we got 1 he is so beautiful and sweet I got his shots got him fixed now he is ours love this cat !
Debbie

Kenosha, WI

#18 May 18, 2014
Elisabeth wrote:
Wanted to help this shelter and foster kittens which I have done in the past. Filled out another foster app and was told this year I could not foster for them because I have a toddler. I will never support this shelter again.
. I so agree!
Debbie

Kenosha, WI

#19 May 18, 2014
Truther wrote:
http://www.cbs58.com/news/youv e-got-to-be-kidding/Humane-Soc iety-blocks-owner-from-getting -back-pet-139069789.html
This is not the first and definitely not the last bad news we will hear about them. I have too many horror stories to share. I used to be an avid supporter - financially and also provided a foster home. Their greed disgusted me one too many times and I walked away. Their facilities are disgusting and their paid staff are even worse.
I so agree !
Debbie

Kenosha, WI

#20 May 18, 2014
If I had to do this all over again I wouldn't bring a rat to this shelter it's all about the almighty dollar yes those little angels need homes I agree but it's not about the animals it's about there paycheck ! For I love any animal but when they put that kitten down that did it for me really at least they need to give them a chance .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Racine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who are the Simon City Royals? (Oct '08) 13 hr Lady Vice 1,997
News Authorities retrieve car from Lake Michigan nea... (Jan '09) Feb 7 Kenosha Uptowner 58
kenosha reuse discussion board Jan 29 psb494 1
News Attorney General takes issue with Bell ads Jan '18 MR JOHN NORRIS 1
Frank's Diner Garbage Plate? ARE YOU KIDDING ME... (Jul '13) Jan '18 Eli H 24
News CUSH 'thrilled' by use of Shalom shelter, devel... Dec '17 Don 1
News Early morning fire destroys Kenosha home Dec '17 KPD Ptlmn241 1

Racine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Racine Mortgages