The Only Church
Sosthenes

Leonard, TX

#23 Jun 18, 2013
Removing The Ancient Landmarks

http://missionprinting.us/html_pubs/SinceAD33...

missionpringing.us

click on "Publications"
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#24 Jun 18, 2013
If we go to the New Testament, which was the rule book used by the apostles and early Christians in their religious activities, and follow it to the very letter, adding nothing and taking nothing from it, will we have a new church, or the church of the New Testament restored?

Boy Sos, this is just the start of deep problems with this tract. I see already the attitude toward the NT- "the rule book". Regard the NT, the "law of Christ" the same as the OT, the law of Moses, do you?

Speak where the Bible speaks, silent where the Bible is silent- when did Jesus tell us RESTORATION of His church was necessary? Did He need our help?

The "5 acts of worship" too? Passing the offering plate around? We're nothing like the first century church.
Sosthenes

Whitewright, TX

#25 Jun 28, 2013
Dave P wrote:
If we go to the New Testament, which was the rule book used by the apostles and early Christians in their religious activities, and follow it to the very letter, adding nothing and taking nothing from it, will we have a new church, or the church of the New Testament restored?
Boy Sos, this is just the start of deep problems with this tract. I see already the attitude toward the NT- "the rule book". Regard the NT, the "law of Christ" the same as the OT, the law of Moses, do you?
Speak where the Bible speaks, silent where the Bible is silent- when did Jesus tell us RESTORATION of His church was necessary? Did He need our help?
The "5 acts of worship" too? Passing the offering plate around? We're nothing like the first century church.
It seems you have a problem with the word "rule".

If the apostles used the NT as a "rule" book and they commanded those who followed to speak the same thing and not depart from it, then we too have a rule book to follow.(1Cor.1:10)(Acts 10:33)

...Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.(Acts 10:33)

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:(Mt. 28:20)

46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?(Luke 6:46)

Since some did depart from the truth (2Tim.4:2).

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Since some departed from the truth (denominationalism) the faithful need to love those who departed enough to put forth every effort to convince them to repent (Jn 17:17)(Acts 8:13-24)(1Jn 1:9). Those who refuse to repent need to be marked according to (Rom. 16:17-18). Those who will not repent also need to be withdrawn from (1Cor.5:5)(2Thess.3:6)(Mt.18:1 5-17).

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple (Rom. 16:17,18).

6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us..... 13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.(2Thess.3:6,14).

If you have a problem with the word "rule" no doubt you will have a problem with the following scriptures found in the NT.

...but by the law of faith.(Rom. 3:27)

...the law of the Spirit of life in Christ (Rom. 8:2)

...fulfil the law of Christ (Gal. 6:2)

Dave -"We're nothing like the first century church"

Me - Speak for yourself Dave. I am not in your group.

BeingSaved.org
Walkinginlove

Danville, VA

#26 Jul 15, 2013
Technically the Apostles used the Old Testament as the New was not finished until after most of them had died. For the record...

Sosthenes

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27 Jul 20, 2013
Walkinginlove wrote:
Technically the Apostles used the Old Testament as the New was not finished until after most of them had died. For the record...
Even the apostles used the OT scriptures as an example not a rule according to (Rom. 15:4)(1Cor.10:11).

The Holy Spirit was leading the apostles in the NT doctrine (or rule) according to (Phil.3:16-19)(Jn 14:26)(Jn 16:13)(2Peter 1:20,21).

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

BeingSaved.org
William

Birmingham, AL

#28 Jul 28, 2013
"20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Unless it happens to fall into the hands of a Church of Christ preacher or elder, who will then interpret it for the congregation through circular reasoning and pre-loaded questions slanted toward the pre-formed CoC doctrinal bias.

Some of my favorite CoC moments:

"If not, why not?"

"Why, that deserved to be debated, just like in Acts 15!"

"Prove what is acceptable to the Lord, but we'll control the questions."

"CENI is found in the Bible! No really!"

And my all-time favorite, seen on a Facebook page run by a couple of CoC preachers:

"Some people are unworthy to have the gospel preached to them."
William

Birmingham, AL

#29 Jul 28, 2013
If you are Facebook, you should check out the "Answering Religious Error" page. It is run by a couple of Church of Christ preachers and it has ALL of the good stuff written down.

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Sosthenes

Location hidden

#30 Jul 29, 2013
William wrote:
If you are Facebook, you should check out the "Answering Religious Error" page. It is run by a couple of Church of Christ preachers and it has ALL of the good stuff written down.
Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.
We have all the "good stuff" written down in the Bible according to the word of God.

11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;...(1Peter 4:11)

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness,(2Peter 1:3).

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.(2Tim. 3:14-17).

...Matthew 12:34 (KJV) O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

...for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.(Mt. 12:34)

Apologetics Press

whybaptism.org

gbntv.org
William

Birmingham, AL

#31 Jul 30, 2013
We have all the "good stuff" written down in the Bible according to the word of God.

You don't even have the Bible. You have a book that calls itself a Bible but has so many edits that it contradicts even itself.

Unless you have a King James Bible, you do not have the Bible.

Sosthenes

Location hidden

#32 Jul 31, 2013
William wrote:
You don't even have the Bible. You have a book that calls itself a Bible but has so many edits that it contradicts even itself.
Unless you have a King James Bible, you do not have the Bible.

*I use the KJV.

ApologeticsPress.org
William

Columbus, GA

#33 Jul 31, 2013
What does 2 Timothy 2:15 say?
Sosthenes

Carrollton, TX

#34 Aug 2, 2013
William wrote:
"20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."
Unless it happens to fall into the hands of a Church of Christ preacher or elder, who will then interpret it for the congregation through circular reasoning and pre-loaded questions slanted toward the pre-formed CoC doctrinal bias.
"If not, why not?"
And my all-time favorite, seen on a Facebook page run by a couple of CoC preachers:
W - ""CENI is found in the Bible! No really!""

Me - CENI

(Acts 15:10-15)

Vs 10 - Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Vs 12 - Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

Vs 14 - Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

Many people claim that CENI cannot be found in the Bible.

Vs 10 = Necessary Inference
Vs 12 = Apostalic Example
Vs 14 = Divine Precept

Friend that adds up to CENI.

C = command
E = example
N = necessary
I = inference

gbntv.org
William

United States

#35 Aug 3, 2013
Nope.

Private interpretation is what CENI is. Aligned with CoC talking points.

Other denominations do the same thing. Catholics especially. They just call it something else.
John

Carrollton, TX

#36 Aug 5, 2013
William wrote:
Nope.
Private interpretation is what CENI is. Aligned with CoC talking points.
Other denominations do the same thing. Catholics especially. They just call it something else.

*Prove it wrong.

(Acts 15:10-15)

Vs 10 - Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Vs 12 - Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

Vs 14 - Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

Many people claim that CENI cannot be found in the Bible.

Vs 10 = Necessary Inference
Vs 12 = Apostalic Example
Vs 14 = Divine Precept

Friend that adds up to CENI.

C = command
E = example
N = necessary
I = inference

gbntv.org
Walkinginlove

Danville, VA

#37 Aug 21, 2013
William wrote:
"If not, why not?"
Contrast that to the one true God who's desire is that all be saved. Unfortunately the CoC desire is to avoid hell, protect themselves again attack from other CoC who will label them as not conservative enough.

My favorite gift from the CoC is Ezra 10 and their claim that it is an example for the New Testament Church. Yet it is never quoted by anyone including Jesus himself in the New Testament.

My second is the twisting of the rebaptism of John's baptism that is changed from an issue of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Paul asks that question) into a knowledge based event since they said they had never heard of the Holy Spirit and then use that to claim all have to be rebaptized who do not understand properly.

Yet there are no examples of rebaptism once you are baptized in Jesus name in the New Testament. There is clear teaching in Hebrews 6 that you can only crusify Christ to yourself one time.

Yet they still teach this as truth, claim to speak only where the Bible speaks, this is a clear lie based on what their teachings show, they build into scripture things that simply are not there in order to have an answer for their fellow pharisees.

Blind does lead the blind.
William

Birmingham, AL

#38 Aug 21, 2013
"Yet they still teach this as truth, claim to speak only where the Bible speaks, this is a clear lie based on what their teachings show, they build into scripture things that simply are not there in order to have an answer for their fellow Pharisees."

That's because their god is water baptism. Look at how much they worship it. The other gods in their trinity are no pianos in the assembly and the constant use of circular reasoning to prove their pre-established doctrines.

The entire CoC religion is based on 10 or 15 verses found in the new testament, strung together to create a "plan of salvation" that looks strikingly similar to the one put forth by the Catholic church.

Sosthenes

Location hidden

#39 Aug 21, 2013
Does the bible say "baptism doth now save us"?

If it does not the coC has no reason to teach such a thing.

But if the bible does say it...

20.... in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (1Peter 3:20,21)

In the days of Noah --> eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

Today --> baptism doth also now save us (1Peter 3:20,21).

Who is the word "us" referring too?

You can tell people who teach false doctrine for they refuse to say -->

eight souls were save by water in the day of Noah

Vs 21 carries that very same thought of being save by water (baptism) and says it happens to people today.

If you read this section of scripture and you get a strange feeling or you just cannot bring yourself to read this section of scripture, it is very possible you have been taught false doctrine.

Look up "cognitive dissonance" and you will understand why you get that strange feeling when reading (1Peter 3:20,21).

cognitive dissonance - People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsych...

thegospelofchrist.com

gbntv.org

Sosthenes

Location hidden

#40 Aug 21, 2013
The problem denomionational people run into is they THINK members of the coC are saying we believe the alien sinner is save by water immersion "alone".

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

If you have any questions about what the members of the coC teach you can look here.

http://www.missionprinting.us/pub.html

thegospelofchrist.com
William

Seymour, TN

#41 Aug 25, 2013
"Alien sinner?"

No BCV for those two words in my KJV. Must be another "Bible-sounding" term invented by the CoC.

Right along with equating "remission" with "forgiveness when you come up out of the baptismal pool."

Frauds.
Guy

Emory, TX

#42 Sep 4, 2013
William wrote:
"Alien sinner?"
No BCV for those two words in my KJV. Must be another "Bible-sounding" term invented by the CoC.
Right along with equating "remission" with "forgiveness when you come up out of the baptismal pool."
Frauds.
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, and without God in the world:(Eph.2:12)

were without Christ,----> Must be sinners

being aliens ---> a foreign-born who is not naturalized. A foreigner.

strangers from the covenants ---> Having no part of first or last covenant. This person no-doubt is outside of all the spiritual blessings which are only found "in Christ" (2Tim.2:10). The strangers are found outside the church of Christ.

Without God ---> No doubt a sinner

In the world ---> Just the opposite of being "In Christ" and (James 4:4) tells us what God thinks of the world and its ways.

4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.(James 4:4)

When all of the information above is deciphered one comes up with an alien sinner. I see nothing wrong with using this term sense the bible describes it so clearly in one verse.

11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; (1Peter 4:11)

* I think using the term "alien sinner" is much better than teaching an opposite message from the bible and saying there are two gospels when the NT says there is only one gospel which will save (Rom.1:16)(Gal.1:6-9)(1Cor.1:1 0)(Phil.3:16-19).

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation...

Notice the word "it" in the verse above?

It means one (not many).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quitman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does The Church of Christ Teach? (Jun '13) 8 hr Sosthenes 329
News Erin Caffey and Charlie Wilkinson (Jul '09) Jul '16 timothy64 52
News Quitman business owners wanted on theft charges (Mar '11) Jun '16 Cigars 26
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
rains dist. attorney abuse of office (Dec '07) Jun '16 Username 44
News 1 arrested in fatal Wood County ATV accident Jun '16 nicolasthomas669 1
News Hung Jury Leaves Land-Feud Murder Trial Undecided (Apr '08) May '16 Bagwell Resident 30

Quitman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quitman Mortgages