What Happened to Free Speech?

What Happened to Free Speech?

Posted in the Quitman Forum

Anonymous

Albany, GA

#1 Nov 7, 2012
I read and watch the comments that are written near each article on the Valdosta Daily Times web site. When something is written that those with the Valdosta Daily Times do not like or agree with, then they remove it. The comment I read today about John Gayle was not negitive, the writer only said to keep an eye on John Gayle, and I agree with the writer as we should keep our eye on all of those that are elected to represent us.

What happened to freedom of Speech in America? When a newspaper takes this kind of stance on freedom of speech then how much is being left out of the news that we should know about? This just goes to prove we are only told part of the story. The media has lost their way.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#2 Nov 7, 2012
Kay Harris needs to go along with Myrna Ballard, they have been doing a number on this city and county long enough, this hasn't just with John Gayle...just sayin, cleaned up some trash last night, let's keep cleaning while the broom is out...
reply to 2much crap

United States

#3 Nov 7, 2012
2much crap wrote:
Kay Harris needs to go along with Myrna Ballard, they have been doing a number on this city and county long enough, this hasn't just with John Gayle...just sayin, cleaned up some trash last night, let's keep cleaning while the broom is out...
I think Harris is doing a great job, but I agree about Ballard. But newspapers have nothing to do with your 'freedom of speech'... a newspaper is a business, governed by laws. If they print something, even a post, they can be held lible for the content. And knowing Gayle and others like him, they would threaten to sue, so don't blame the paper. They're the scapegoats when there are others who are untouchable.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#4 Nov 7, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Harris is doing a great job, but I agree about Ballard. But newspapers have nothing to do with your 'freedom of speech'... a newspaper is a business, governed by laws. If they print something, even a post, they can be held lible for the content. And knowing Gayle and others like him, they would threaten to sue, so don't blame the paper. They're the scapegoats when there are others who are untouchable.
I agree on Ballard, but to print a half thuth is lie, and to pic and choose your articles based on the editors political or presonal motavations, is being bias, and Kay Harris has more that tipped the scales in that arena...Get a deal, dump both of them, you know 2 4 1
reply to 2much crap

Brookville, PA

#5 Nov 7, 2012
2much crap wrote:
<quoted text>I agree on Ballard, but to print a half thuth is lie, and to pic and choose your articles based on the editors political or presonal motavations, is being bias, and Kay Harris has more that tipped the scales in that arena...Get a deal, dump both of them, you know 2 4 1
I get what you mean. Holding that story on Prine until after all the early voting showed their bias. Two thirds had already voted. And he's fixing to cost the county a few hundred thousand dollars. I know of things that city officials have done that they never print either. There was a whole FBI investigation of the city manager that went unprinted, not to mention the various DUI's etc. Sad.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#6 Nov 7, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you mean. Holding that story on Prine until after all the early voting showed their bias. Two thirds had already voted. And he's fixing to cost the county a few hundred thousand dollars. I know of things that city officials have done that they never print either. There was a whole FBI investigation of the city manager that went unprinted, not to mention the various DUI's etc. Sad.
Actually that's not the only thing, Mr.COX had tried several times to get Larry Hanson to be forthcoming with the facts and figuars on the SPLOST funds and several times the editor of VDT would reject his letter claiming that the figuars were wrong that Mr. Cox provided, but they came from the VDT.The list goes on taking cheap shots on several people in the county...to taint a cloud over them with 1/2 truths, About the lawsuits filed just because they were sent back dosen't make the court change their decision, it justs means they have a "do over" and that means nothing,,,98.6% of the cases of this nature are ruled on in the same as original ruling, however the can appeal and go to Ga.Supreme Court at a cost of 150k for each plaintiff and take up to 2 years with less than 50% chance of winning, so to make the statement that it's fixing to cost the county several hundred thousand dollars is a stretch...they will put there little tiger back in it's sack and go home and get drunk...if you would like to be a part of the movement to clean up social media and sweep the trash out of our city and county i welcome you...
reply to 2much crap

Kathleen, GA

#7 Nov 8, 2012
You had me agreeing with you, for the most part, until you threw Cox in there. I dont' trust him or his abusive son. Known 'em all my life. If your basing your opinion of the editor on him, I'd rethink. And that lawsuit wasn't just sent back, the judgement was overturned and his only choices now are a jury trial, which he won't survive cause he lied so much in his depositions, or for the county to pay the plaintiffs off. He has shown over and over that he has problems with women, and it kinda looks like you might too from your previous remarks. I think there are issues, but the issues are way bigger than the chamber or the paper, and until city hall is cleaned out, nothing is going to change.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#8 Nov 8, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
You had me agreeing with you, for the most part, until you threw Cox in there. I dont' trust him or his abusive son. Known 'em all my life. If your basing your opinion of the editor on him, I'd rethink. And that lawsuit wasn't just sent back, the judgement was overturned and his only choices now are a jury trial, which he won't survive cause he lied so much in his depositions, or for the county to pay the plaintiffs off. He has shown over and over that he has problems with women, and it kinda looks like you might too from your previous remarks. I think there are issues, but the issues are way bigger than the chamber or the paper, and until city hall is cleaned out, nothing is going to change.
my opinion is of my observation i keep an open mind to everything i hear until i make my on decision , nothing else, we can agree to disagree about the lawsuit for you have already found Sheriff Prine guilty without a trial, how did you read his depositions? reguardless, i have no problem adding Larry Hanson to Kay and Myrna...sorry about your SPLOST
reply to 2much crap

Kathleen, GA

#9 Nov 8, 2012
Don't care one way or the other on Splost... as for the sheriff, let's just say I have a close relative in the court system, but everything is public record. Half the attorneys in town have read the doc's. And when you fire a woman that's 7 months pregnant, no matter who she's related to, that's just cold. He could have put her at a desk and never laid eyes on her until she at least had the baby. I don't think much of AShley, but at least he didn't fire G. Robert's daughter. I think she still works there. He fired JD and that should have been enough 'revenge.'
Glad you don't make your mind up based on what others think. There's hope for you yet.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#10 Nov 8, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
Don't care one way or the other on Splost... as for the sheriff, let's just say I have a close relative in the court system, but everything is public record. Half the attorneys in town have read the doc's. And when you fire a woman that's 7 months pregnant, no matter who she's related to, that's just cold. He could have put her at a desk and never laid eyes on her until she at least had the baby. I don't think much of AShley, but at least he didn't fire G. Robert's daughter. I think she still works there. He fired JD and that should have been enough 'revenge.'
Glad you don't make your mind up based on what others think. There's hope for you yet.
your hope is for what, free speech? you wouldn't be one of them Juice Heads would you, lets see, JD is a pig headed fool....haha!!your busted
reply to 2much crap

Adel, GA

#11 Nov 8, 2012
I thought we were trying to have an honest discussion on some of the issues facing the city. And then you resort to name calling? That's a great way to end this. Besides, I'm rubber, you're glue...
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#12 Nov 9, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
I thought we were trying to have an honest discussion on some of the issues facing the city. And then you resort to name calling? That's a great way to end this. Besides, I'm rubber, you're glue...
You are the one that attact Mr. Cox and Sheriff Prine, you limited the options open to Sheriff Prine about a frivolus lawsuit that you will see come to full fruition for Sheriff Prine, Our post I thought was about flushing the corrupt system, i agree with you that VDT is private burden, but when it's displayed in view of the public it has becomes a bias propaganda tool, that the editor has control of....
reply to 2much crap

Kathleen, GA

#13 Nov 9, 2012
Sorry, must have hit a nerve. Interesting that you can talk about people you dont' know and when I criticized people I DO know, you called me names. I didn't attack Prine, just said his lawsuit gonna cost the county. It already has. Attorneys fees are over $100,000 already. Personally, I think he's a very nice man.
2much crap

Moultrie, GA

#14 Nov 9, 2012
reply to 2much crap wrote:
Sorry, must have hit a nerve. Interesting that you can talk about people you dont' know and when I criticized people I DO know, you called me names. I didn't attack Prine, just said his lawsuit gonna cost the county. It already has. Attorneys fees are over $100,000 already. Personally, I think he's a very nice man.
Sheriff Paulk's 16 year administration cost over a million dollars in legal fee's, Mr. Yeager had several lawsuits filed againt him and LCSO of the same nature as Sheriff Prine's, that's just the cost of doing business, there will always be lawsuits filed lacking in legal merit, again I hope we can agree to disagree about the legal issues, and move foward in a productive manner to form a consesus about Free Speech, and the one sided editing practice at VDT. By the way don't recall saying I didn't know everyone I wrote about....sorry about the name calling "you" must have hit a nerve...Toodles

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quitman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Bells will be charged 1 min OneSmartDude 3,137
Melt Thread II 38 min Will B Fine 897
YOUR vs. YOU'RE 59 min Lady - the tramp 2
Anybody got any good clean jokes? 1 hr Lady - the tramp 74
Good News Thread 1 hr Lady - the tramp 688
Debate: Civil Unions - Quitman, GA (Jan '12) Jan '16 Wow 2
Brooks County Sheriffs Office (May '11) Oct '15 Kmichelle 52
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quitman Mortgages