Letters published in the Times

Letters published in the Times

There are 11 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 18, 2009, titled Letters published in the Times. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Council's maturity called into question This is where the rubber meets the road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

bobxxxx

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Jan 19, 2009
Sue Webb of East El Paso, you are completely wrong about evolutionary biology.

You wrote "All theories of origins are just guesses, including evolution. No one was there to observe and test it." If you weren't so scientifically illiterate you would know evolution is tested every day. Right now biologists are comparing DNA sequences of different creatures to determine their evolutionary relationships. As they do this, their knowledge of the history of life continues to grow, and the strong facts of evolution become even stronger. Your calling evolution a guess proves you don't know what you're talking about.

You also wrote "There are no transitional forms in the fossil record." This is extremely dishonest and you again prove you don't know what you're talking about. For example, the fossil record that describes the evolution of land animals to whales is complete. Look it up.

You talked about the "science of creationism". Creationism is nothing more than a childish belief in magic. There's nothing scientific about it. It would be child abuse to teach it because it's just plain wrong.

You have been brainwashed to believe people were magically created to be completely separate from the rest of nature. That's too bad and I hope you recover from your disease. You and others like you will brainwash your children to believe this nonsense. That's child abuse but you can legally do that if you want to. But you have a lot of nerve if you think you can force biology teachers to lie to their students about the facts of evolution.
luvsciencengod

Hays, KS

#2 Jan 19, 2009
Sue Webb has obviously been woefully misinformed about science. She's repeating the same ol' same ol' creationist canards which have long been refuted by science. According to Webb, if a human didn't witness something, it didn't happen. So how does she know her great^n-grandparents were born?

Good news for criminals, though - Webb will never vote to convict you of a crime you as long as you kill all the witnesses.
THESIMIAN

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 19, 2009
First, there should be a religion against religion. Many wars have murdered many people in the name of religion. But because both religion and state exist, keep them separate. Silent prayer can't be regulated. Life is a mystery. Neither "religionist" nor creationist will ever know for sure the origin of life, etc.
Sam

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 19, 2009
On Israel: "A state founded by Holocaust survivors should be a beacon of morality, not a black hole for it."

While I don't condone what Hamas is doing, I understand why. Israel has made Gaza into a prison without adequate food, fuel, and water.
EPCynic

Glendale, AZ

#5 Jan 19, 2009
Sam wrote:
On Israel: "A state founded by Holocaust survivors should be a beacon of morality, not a black hole for it."
While I don't condone what Hamas is doing, I understand why. Israel has made Gaza into a prison without adequate food, fuel, and water.
"We can forgive the arabs for killing our children. We cannot for give them for forcing us to kill their children. We will only have peace with the arabs when they love their children more than they hate us."
Truer words have never been spoken about the worlds most comprehensively wrecked people. Oh, and the Israelis are not the only ones to wall off the pali's. Egypt and Jordan keep them out as well. Isreal is constantly attacked. What is Egypt and Jordan's excuse?
Tman

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 19, 2009
bobxxxx wrote:
Sue Webb of East El Paso, you are completely wrong about evolutionary biology.
You wrote "All theories of origins are just guesses, including evolution. No one was there to observe and test it." If you weren't so scientifically illiterate you would know evolution is tested every day. Right now biologists are comparing DNA sequences of different creatures to determine their evolutionary relationships. As they do this, their knowledge of the history of life continues to grow, and the strong facts of evolution become even stronger. Your calling evolution a guess proves you don't know what you're talking about.
You also wrote "There are no transitional forms in the fossil record." This is extremely dishonest and you again prove you don't know what you're talking about. For example, the fossil record that describes the evolution of land animals to whales is complete. Look it up.
You talked about the "science of creationism". Creationism is nothing more than a childish belief in magic. There's nothing scientific about it. It would be child abuse to teach it because it's just plain wrong.
You have been brainwashed to believe people were magically created to be completely separate from the rest of nature. That's too bad and I hope you recover from your disease. You and others like you will brainwash your children to believe this nonsense. That's child abuse but you can legally do that if you want to. But you have a lot of nerve if you think you can force biology teachers to lie to their students about the facts of evolution.
Well said!!! I was outraged to see these comments in the newspaper this morining.
Fernando

Brownsville, TX

#7 Jan 19, 2009
You're outraged? I'm outraged that you would like only your point of view in the newspaper. It's like saying that only your point of view is permissible, all others shut up. How typical of people of your ilk.
Tman

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 19, 2009
Fernando wrote:
You're outraged? I'm outraged that you would like only your point of view in the newspaper. It's like saying that only your point of view is permissible, all others shut up. How typical of people of your ilk.
Because God doesn't exist. Now go hide your head in the sand creationist.
Tman

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 19, 2009
Science is not about "fairness". It's about empirical evidence. God had no empirical evidence. A man wrote, while he was on drugs, about "God"
John Pieret

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 19, 2009
Apparently, Sue Webb believes that the only time a murderer can be convicted is when the murder is witnessed. Otherwise, "No one was there to observe and test it." Surely no one should be convicted of murder, much less executed for it, on what she calls "just guesses." There goes CSI.

In fact, the law recognizes that "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" does not require an eyewitness. That evolution has occurred has been demonstrated scientifically beyond all reasonable doubt. Of course, nothing can be proven beyond an UNreasonable doubt.
Old Coach

Beaumont, TX

#11 Jan 19, 2009
The lack of civility toward any viewpoint divergent to one's own, in this discussion is amazing!

Fernando you have left little doubt regarding your ilk, rude and insufferable.

Tman in the past your comments have at least been civil, I guess today was a bad day or maybe evolutionists just think if they yell loud enough others will just be quite because of my packaged arguments.

Sad, so sad that you don't cite evidence for your arguments, however, you do demean and insult others well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quintana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drowning. 7/21/17 Aug 10 jesse sewell 2
Black man in a white Dodge Charger Aug 5 Neighborhood Watch 2
Quintana Music Thread (Apr '15) Jul '17 Musikologist 8
Snapchatme nude (Oct '14) Jul '17 Concerned Mom 6
News Arrest report Jul '17 Longhorn 89 34
Poll Which city harbors racism? (Apr '08) Jun '17 Concerned Mom 15
Judge Hufstetler a disgrace to Brazoria County? (Jul '14) Jun '17 Concerned Mom 14

Quintana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quintana Mortgages