Distracted driving: Cell-phone restri...

Distracted driving: Cell-phone restrictions good idea

There are 13 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 16, 2009, titled Distracted driving: Cell-phone restrictions good idea. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Distracted driving is becoming more and more of a problem, and one of the biggest contributors to that problem is the use of cell phones.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Jack 13

Oakland, CA

#1 May 16, 2009
As a driver who was run off the road by a woman on her cell phone, I certainly support Quintana in his efforts. People who use cell phones are not only endangering children in school zones, they are a hazzard to all drivers
Fernando

United States

#2 May 16, 2009
What? The El Paso Times supporting Ms. Quintana? I thought it was de rigueur to criticize her thoughts and actions. What gives?
LyndaLBD

El Paso, TX

#3 May 16, 2009
This morning, when we turned onto Resler from N. Mesa, we were almost hit by a man who was texting on his I whatever tech toy he had - and he looked at us like it was our fault. All texting while driving anywhere at anytime, should be a cause for a ticket - its too dangerous for people to be texting while driving. When you're driving, the only thing you should be doing is DRIVING!

Since: Mar 09

El Paso, TX

#4 May 16, 2009
LyndaLBD wrote:
This morning, when we turned onto Resler from N. Mesa, we were almost hit by a man who was texting on his I whatever tech toy he had - and he looked at us like it was our fault. All texting while driving anywhere at anytime, should be a cause for a ticket - its too dangerous for people to be texting while driving. When you're driving, the only thing you should be doing is DRIVING!
All phone use should be stopped while driving, other cities have already implemented this into law. However I dont think the El Paso Police department could take away time from their busy checkpoints to enforce it.
LyndaLBD

El Paso, TX

#5 May 16, 2009
That would be difficult to enforce, but I agree.
Donald

New York, NY

#6 May 17, 2009
If no cell phones - then no eating, reading, make-up, pets, etc. Let get tough on all of these real bad people. Naughty naughty!!
Ese

El Paso, TX

#7 May 17, 2009
Cops are one of the major users of cell phones! Next time you drive around El Paso, look at a cop driving and more than not they will be on a cell phone. Morons.
LyndaLBD

El Paso, TX

#8 May 17, 2009
And at that, I'll be watching them to see if they are using the phone while driving - and especially if they are texting. I will make note of it.
Al Zolli

Denver, CO

#9 May 17, 2009
Lets stop the garbage over cell phones, it is the driver not the phone. And what about those on built-in computers? GPS devices? DVD players? There are many other distractions in the vehicle besides cell phones.
just do it

El Paso, TX

#10 May 17, 2009
Get this passed and just do it already. Or is this going to go away like the proposition about impounding uninsured cars?
Jack 13

United States

#11 May 17, 2009
Al Zolli wrote:
Lets stop the garbage over cell phones, it is the driver not the phone. And what about those on built-in computers? GPS devices? DVD players? There are many other distractions in the vehicle besides cell phones.
Drivers don't hold DVD players or built in computers up to their ear, or drive as they split their attention between the road & the message they are texting. The cell phone users could pull off the side of the road to answer to call or tell the caller I'll call you back instead of endangering themselves and others.
DarkMan

El Paso, TX

#12 May 17, 2009
In order for this to work, dont you need cops by school zones? Good luck with that. I have never seen any cops by the school by my house. What about the dumbass parents that park in front of the school? You know, right under the no parking sign. Why dont cops enforce that violation?
justice

Pea Ridge, AR

#13 May 17, 2009
LyndaLBD wrote:
And at that, I'll be watching them to see if they are using the phone while driving - and especially if they are texting. I will make note of it.
Maybe get the number on the car, or license plates? I see them on the phone all the time. I happened to be on I-10 heading west from Redd Rd until I had to exit on Joe Battle and this cop that was on I-10 as well was on the road with me, using his phone and texting the entire time. He was swerving, and almost hit 2 cars! Oh, but if its a cop, I guess that makes it ok...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quintana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crystal from chilis Tue boo 2
News 2 arrests in deadly Clute shooting (Apr '10) Jul 23 Anonymous 13
Judge Hufstetler a disgrace to Brazoria County? (Jul '14) Jul 12 a mother 11
Garrison at HEB in Lake Jackson. Jun 30 Crazyass 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
Snapchatme nude (Oct '14) May '16 ktoddcanard 2
Poll Which city harbors racism? (Apr '08) May '16 One 12

Quintana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quintana Mortgages