In Mexico, Gulf oil spill draws parallels to worst case ever

Full story: Detroit Free Press

Here on Mexico's Gulf Coast, the Deepwater Horizon disaster has revived memories of the world's worst accidental oil spill, a 1979 blowout that spewed oil for nine months, devastated marine life and covered the Texas and Mexican coasts with gobs of crude.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
AkaSuitor

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

Forgot.
Currently the spill is not really making big news.
This will shortly change.
Brace for impact. And brace for pictures. This is going to get real ugly.
Huh

Angleton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

The spill is not getting coverage?
Impeachment

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

Does this hole/well bisect the entire planet? I'm going to have to do some research or watch for people like Bill Nye, the Science Guy? Where IS the bottom of it or does anyone know?

The more we find out about this, the more infuriated I am to think that Obama would be out campaigning for anyone, let alone that horribe Barbara Boxer from California, while doing nothing.

Thank God for people like James Carville and his wife, Mary Matilin, who not only represent both parties, but have plenty of experience with politics and the media and are from Louisiana!

For those who haven't heard them talking about what the president COULD have been doing while wining and dining and campaigning but DIDN'T, look it up. Then, he proceeds to go on yet another vacation and ignores the ceremonies traditionally attended by the president for Memorial Day much as he did the National Prayer Day!

“starting to wake up”

Since: Apr 09

brookhaven ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

did anyone catch the one leak in mexihole it went on for 9 months but you didnt hear much about it talk about bullshit gov hey obama how did feli dick taste like ??? he most have filled you up to shut you up huh
AkaSuitor

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Impeachment wrote:
Does this hole/well bisect the entire planet? I'm going to have to do some research or watch for people like Bill Nye, the Science Guy? Where IS the bottom of it or does anyone know?
The more we find out about this, the more infuriated I am to think that Obama would be out campaigning for anyone, let alone that horribe Barbara Boxer from California, while doing nothing.
Thank God for people like James Carville and his wife, Mary Matilin, who not only represent both parties, but have plenty of experience with politics and the media and are from Louisiana!
For those who haven't heard them talking about what the president COULD have been doing while wining and dining and campaigning but DIDN'T, look it up. Then, he proceeds to go on yet another vacation and ignores the ceremonies traditionally attended by the president for Memorial Day much as he did the National Prayer Day!

The wells are drilled to acheive a percentage of gasious mix, to carry the oil.
Eventually the oil will end. But that may be years.
Jason

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Impeachment wrote:
Oh and btw, has anyone heard anything from Al Gore on this?
Why hasn't Oprah Winfrey appeared in Lousiana like she did during Katrina????? I hope all the blacks and others who voted for this unqualified jerk who hid and sealed so many of his records are happy that they got a black President. It is just a shame that the first black President is such a fool and couldn't have been someone like Colin Powell.
Most politicians are crooks imo and this should really give strenth to the TEA PARTY NOW! We need the brightest, most ethical of leaders now or the entire world is at risk imo. I am on the verge of tears thinking of the destruction of those marshes and sea life and birds, let alone the impact of the people living in the immediate vicinity.
Why would anyone in their right mind allow BP to put one drop of any dangerous contaminant in that water?
Cruises have not been cancelled as yet but imo they will be shortly as the air is reported to have sickening fumes in the area.
It is criminal that over a month has gone by and Obama et all have done nada except patronize the President of Mexico.
I am truly beginning to think Obama may be the anti-Christ as was discussed so much during the campaign. If not, he is a stupid, stupid man and a lying good for nothing s.o.b. as proven by his family history.
DRILL BABY DRILL
AkaSuitor

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Jason wrote:
<quoted text>
DRILL BABY DRILL

Is there a chance Houston and the Gulf region of Texas could be affected by this spill?
Not only commercial fisheries and the business dependant on fisheries, but oil drilling as well.
AkaSuitor

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Huh wrote:
The spill is not getting coverage?

Now it is. Saturday was sparadic bits.
By next week it will dominate the news, 24-7 as the oil is going to cause untold damage.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Maybe a hydrogen bomb exploded in the gulf of Mexico will help to disperse the crude oil into the atmosphere?
America needs to wake up

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you one of the idiots who's always crying for deregulation, who trusts market forces, and who tells us all how little we need government? Just like before George Bush gave nerly a trillion dollars away to his banker and insurance friends to bail out their massive deregulation fuck-up.
Now you blame Obama? LOL. You people are nauseating. You have no character.
Fix it yourself. You wanted the awl bidness in your back yard. Remember? Drill, baby, drill. Now you can enjoy your oil.
I think they're on the same page. Lets see. Both support patriot act, Both support wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I see no end in sight. Guantanamo is still open. None of them understand jack shit about monetary policy. None of them question the Fed Reserve. Both support wire tapping. But it's all in the name of national security. Let me guess your a die hard democrat who loved clinton right? Well to me both parties are teaming with corrupt scandalous morons who couldn't make the right decision to save the arses. And hey at least we are on the same page when it comes to energy. Hell yes we need a new renewable energy source, but what is your idea? Pull every car of the road tomorrow and have everyone walk to work? Works for me, I'm a landscaper. Truth is you cannot just stop drilling my friend, not matter how much we both hate it. What you do is you start encouraging this country to try and invent something, get the ball rolling so that in best case scenario five years time we might have something to go on. In the mean time you make drilling as safe as possible ( I know it's not easy, don't chew my head off) but there were shit loads of things done wrong in this BP disaster. EVERYONE is at blame. Obama can't escape it sir.
Wake up White people

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Where are the thousands and thousands of environmentalists that protested when G Bush was President? The worse President in US history is ruining this country and no one will say anything? No one will do anything except try and blame Bush. This is Obama’s problem, millions of jobs will be lost, wildlife killed, people killed – where is he? Where are the crazy whacked radicals that picket and riot over a candy bar wrapper falling on the ground? Where are they? The man-child President Obama isn’t capable of doing anything except lie, community agitate, campaign and set up a committee. Where are the thousands and thousands of environmentalists that protested when G Bush was President? The worse President in US history is ruining this country and no one will say anything? No one will do anything except try and blame Bush. This is Obama’s problem, millions of jobs will be lost, wildlife killed, people killed – where is he? Where are the crazy whacked radicals that picket and riot over a candy bar wrapper falling on the ground? Where are they? The man-child President Obama isn’t capable of doing anything except lie, community agitate, campaign and set up a committee.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Hahahahaha, none of the Katrina whiners are cleaning birds?
Heartland

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

I am curious to know if anyone else had a dream about the Gulf oil spill before it happened? I have Googled extensively and found one man who saw the oil rig explosion. I saw from a satellite view, the entire Gulf covered with algal bloom, with the message that "The whole world is concerned." I have had other prophetic dreams in the past and have learned to pay attention to them. I believe that the long-term effects from the oil spill will be horrific. My dream showed nothing about oil, only a vast "dead zone" of algae. A dream prior to that leads me to believe that this was no accident.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Judged:

Obama's an idiot from Day 1 in Federal Waters:

1- He put the wrong person in charge of the US Coast Guard response. She claimed they were prepared to limit the damage. They just relieved her!

2- The Obama Admin Grossly Underestimated what would happen to the Rig with an uncapped well spewing oil continuously on deck, Sinking the Rig.

3- The Obama admin was too stupid to realize or even ask what would happen to the open pipe IF/When the Rig Sank!

4- The Obama admin wasted this time READING & by NOT Preparing the Emergency Burn Plan.

5- The Obama admin Failed to locate and Provide Fire Booms required to Burn the Oil according to EM Burn plan, they didn't read!

6- The Obama admin Failed organize an Emergency Response team with capable people to lead/work with BP Engineering on:
A) Burning and/or Skimming the Oil AT THE SURFACE.
B) Understanding the massive Risk in Sinking the Oil w/dispersant.
C) Closing the Pipe or activating the BOP.

7- The Obama admin approved Harmful & Toxic chemical dispersant banned in other countries to be used in massive quantities in the pristine Gulf Waters!

8- The Obama admin approved this dispersant to SINK THE OIL which is opposite of what it should have demanded which is get it to the surface where it can be handled and taken out of the water! No it's 20 Mile Long blobs underwater that can't be processed! IDIOTS!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Another Gulf oil spill: Saratoga Well near Deepwater Horizon has leaked since at least April 30

By Ben Raines
June 07, 2010

The Deepwater Horizon is not the only well leaking oil into the Gulf of Mexico for the last month.

A nearby drilling rig, the Ocean Saratoga, has been leaking since at least April 30, according to a federal document.

While the leak is decidedly smaller than the Deepwater Horizon spill, a 10-mile-long slick emanating from the Ocean Saratoga is visible from space in multiple images gathered by Skytruth.org , which monitors environmental problems using satellites.

Federal officials did not immediately respond when asked about the size of the leak, how long it had been flowing, or whether it was possible to plug it.

Skytruth first reported the leak on its website on May 15. Federal officials mentioned it in the May 1 trajectory map for the Deepwater Horizon spill, stating that oil from the Ocean Saratoga spill might also be washing ashore in Louisiana.

The only other mention the Press-Register was able to find of the spill in federal documents occurred in a May 17 transcript of a U.S. Coast Guard media conference. In that transcript, Admiral Mary Landry said that she was unaware there was another drilling rig leaking oil in the Gulf.

Officials with Diamond Offshore, which owns the drilling rig, said that they could not comment on the ongoing spill and referred the Press-Register to well owner Taylor Energy Co., which hired Diamond. Taylor Energy officials did not return calls seeking comment.

Saturday, the Southwings environmental group flew over the Ocean Saratoga with photographer J. Henry Fair of Industrial Scars.com and returned with photos that appear to show a large oil crew boat pumping dispersants into the water at the spill site.

"It appeared the crew boat had barrels of dispersant on board," said Tom Hutchings of Southwings, a volunteer organization of pilots who monitor environmental problems from airplanes.

Henry Fair said that his photos show a large hose coming off the boat and disappearing into the water with several buoys tied to it. It was unclear how far the hose extended underwater.

"I see a hose going over the side. The boat was not moving, but it was making a wake, disturbing the water a lot," Fair said. "I see a glossy slick that one would usually identify as petroleum, and it goes a long way away."

Officials at the National Response Center said that the spill had been reported, but would not say when it began. The U.S. Coast Guard did not immediately respond to e-mails seeking comment.

"We accidentally discovered this spill looking at the Deepwater Horizon images. The question is, what would we see if we were systematically looking at the offshore industry?" said John Amos with Skytruth.org . "Is this an aberration, or are things like this going on all the time? That's why we are calling for public, transparent monitoring everywhere offshore drilling is going on in U.S. waters."

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/06/another_gulf_...

Why did the Maggot Obama either NOT KNOW Of this or HIDE this fact?

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Hahahahaha.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Quintana Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Quintana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••