Solar rebate program kicks off Wednesday

Solar rebate program kicks off Wednesday

There are 10 comments on the El Paso Times story from Nov 27, 2010, titled Solar rebate program kicks off Wednesday. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The city of El Paso and El Paso Electric will begin a $2.5 million solar-panel rebate program Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

64navyvet

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2010
Larry Perea of Solar Smart Living says solar pays back in 12yrs. Lets use his installation of Richard Myer home;
Cost $33611 less $12,100 rebate =$21511 Total cost
Savings on electric bill $80/mo x 12 =$960/yr
$21511 divided by $960 = 22.4 yrs

What a deal! Great return on investment. I guess this is why you need a government rebate. Only in the US will consumers spend $21511 to save $80/mo.
mark

Boulder, CO

#2 Nov 28, 2010
Go for it. Some good incentives to do the right thing.
Solarman

Indio, CA

#3 Nov 28, 2010
64navyvet wrote:
Larry Perea of Solar Smart Living says solar pays back in 12yrs. Lets use his installation of Richard Myer home;
What a deal! Great return on investment. I guess this is why you need a government rebate. Only in the US will consumers spend $21511 to save $80/mo.
ROI on a commodity based system is not accurate, it's not as simple as 'assumed' electricity savings times the number of months. Net metering programs provide some with the ability to carry over extra electricity generated and put back into the grid. Do you really think the cost of electricity will be the same per KWh in 5 years? 10 years? Is the utility going to go to tiered rates? If so, how long do you think it will be until the utility decides to decrease the baseline amount every month and increase the KWh cost per tier? 10 to 12 years for a payoff may be right in the ball park. Try adding up 21K for ownership of a vehicle, add in fuel maintenance and repairs, calculate the ROI on that for 10 to 12 years of service.
EL PASO

El Paso, TX

#4 Nov 28, 2010
Installed by companies they recommend and have approved. Something is not right. Wonder how the installation cost is divided between them and the eight companies.

Think I will purchase and install my own. Don't think they can refuse the connection to the meter.
Clueless patrol

El Paso, TX

#5 Nov 28, 2010
What we need in el paso is for ep electric to purchase the electricity generated by these panels. Payback period is shorter then. And this is not asking something out of the ordinary. Las cruces gets this from ep electric. Call ep electric and ask about this. Call your representatives, city and state, and ask for this.
get schooled

El Paso, TX

#6 Nov 29, 2010
64navyvet wrote:
Only in America do you expect instant gratification. Hence the economic mess we are in.
Wendy

United States

#7 Nov 29, 2010
get schooled wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in America do you expect instant gratification. Hence the economic mess we are in.
Every time I go to the crapper I think about all the waste of water and electricity. I'd be willing to flush only once a week if it will save our planet.
Puppetmaster

AOL

#8 Nov 29, 2010
Wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time I go to the crapper I think about all the waste of water and electricity. I'd be willing to flush only once a week if it will save our planet.
Please flush after use. I forgot to flush a few times and the turds escaped and some are posting on the internet.
Brian

United States

#9 Nov 30, 2010
Puppetmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Please flush after use. I forgot to flush a few times and the turds escaped and some are posting on the internet.
Good point! I sure hope none of those people show up here. I prefer a classy place, filled with intellectual stimulation in the discussion.
Puppetmaster

AOL

#10 Nov 30, 2010
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point! I sure hope none of those people show up here. I prefer a classy place, filled with intellectual stimulation in the discussion.
Me too but sometimes they follow me around trying to get back at me for sending their relatives down the comode. Have a good day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quintana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shady Company (Jun '09) Sep 13 GotMEtoo 19
News Lake Jackson considers teen curfew (Aug '08) Sep 5 More Farts 10
News What the last Category 4 hurricane to hit Texas... Aug 30 Dow Chemakill 1
News NWS: Catastrophic flooding in Houston metro are... Aug 30 Andrew 1
Jesse 47 seeks single woman 33 for marriage Aug '17 Television Engineer 2
Drowning. 7/21/17 Aug '17 jesse sewell 2
Black man in a white Dodge Charger Aug '17 Neighborhood Watch 2

Quintana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance