Total of $59,268: Officials say 91 trips necessary, done economically

Full story: El Paso Times 30
Taxpayers paid $60,000 in the past 15 months to send top city government officials on trips that spanned both coasts. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Blah blah Blah

Farmington, NM

#21 May 23, 2010
Great reporting Times! How about doing a story that would actually impact the taxpayers pockets for example look at how many high ranking city employees besides a departmental director there are, what their salary is, how many increases they have received within the last 5 years, how many hours of the day they spend behind closed doors on personal phone calls, how long their lunch "hour" is or flat out how much time is spent on not being productive but still getting paid. THINK EL PASO TIMES THINK AND WAKE UP EL PASO!!!!!!
Susie Pig

El Paso, TX

#22 May 23, 2010
This was a great article. This is the kind of reporting the Times should be doing. People can judge for themselves.

I can't wait to see Susie Pig's best friend Veronica Ms. Welfare Cheese herself's travel records. Escobar and her husband, crazy Michael Pleters, are known to take every freebie available to manind.

I bet Veronica has lots of trips to Washington, D.C. with Valenti, her male "friend" at Thomason.
Eastside Mike

United States

#23 May 23, 2010
What's interesting about this El Paso TIMES article is we're talking about $60,000 here for City travel, but there's an EQUALLY INTERESTING ARTICLE on the newspaper's BUSINESS PAGE. It's by reporter Vic Kolenc and titled "Work in progress; Health-care reform will pose challenges, El Paso Hospital executives say."

Below Ive EXTRACTED a couple of items from that article:

* University Medical Center receives about $75 million a year of those special funds to pay part of about $255 million a year in charity care."

* "An increasing number of insured patients is supposed to make up for a decrease in the special funds, but Valenti said he was a "little skeptical and paranoid" on what method is going to be used to balance that, especially at University Medical Center, where, he said, a large share of charity care goes to undocumented immigrants not covered under the new law."

If I recall correctly, it's been reported to a specific caller named "Central Dave" via his question to a KHRO talk radio shows, that about 10 percent of the hospital's charity care goes to support our neighbors to the South.

So $255 MILLION is one-quarter-of-a BILLION dollars, and 10 PERCENT of that is roughly $25.5 MILLION. Now that's BIG MONEY, real big money.

That appears the story one might reasonably think the TIMES would be reporting on.
thinking out loud

El Paso, TX

#24 May 23, 2010
I am more concerned about our leaders who wish to just stay in El Paso and never seek out the successes of other communities that may benefit us. I view it as necessary, provided it isn't done as a smoke screen for personal gain. Is it too much to ask our underpaid reps to spend 600 tax dollars on a research trip that may save us thousands or tens of thousands for years to come? We are fast approaching a million residents and it is high time we started acting our age(city size). I'm sure at some time in our past, there was much debate on whether our roads needed to be paved. There is much we can learn and implement.

On a different thought, I didn't notice any travel from our police or fire department. Are they not a part of the city's annual budget? How about some follow up investigative journalism on the subject? As long as you're at it, how about the travel expenditures of EPISD's Superintendent Garcia and his overpaid staff?
Judy Torres

El Paso, TX

#25 May 23, 2010
I agree with Mayor Cook. That averages to about 651.30 per trip - with some of the destinations listed, I think they are certainly trying to be cost aware. Good Job mayor!
KTL

El Paso, TX

#26 May 23, 2010
Seriously? Is this news? For a city this size I'm pleasantly suprised it was so low and am proud of our elected officials for acting so responsibly. With the exception of Mr. Archeleta, who seems to have a mostly major US tourist destinations on there (yet given the total $ amount for the # of trips he wasn't exactly living high on the hog), there doesn't seem to me to be anything inapprpriate with this. Must be a slow news day.

“Up close and personal!”

Since: Jun 08

El Paso, TX

#27 May 23, 2010
I bet Rachel Quintana used her shady hook-ups with Fed Ex to keep her travel expenses so low...he he hee!
think about it

El Paso, TX

#28 May 24, 2010
why stop here-continue investigating, especially the school districts yisd taxpayers said no to the bond issue. I bet if you publish EPISD travel expenses by all the top administrators, theirs won't pass either
rachel q sucks

El Paso, TX

#29 May 24, 2010
I'm surprised that Rachel Quintana actually took a legal trip. The real story here should be: Rachel Quintana, pendeja, actually has triped paid for by El Paso Taxpayers. Just imagine if she had done this instead of trying to cheat her former employee.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#30 May 26, 2010
Beto and Deborah did not travel. Moms furniture business is doing well I guess. Pat Aduato travels presumably on government business and it costs zero. Both of these calls for in depth investigative reporting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quintana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Connie you red headed s $#@@t Jan 23 watcher 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 23 Farts 771
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 19 Farts 612
Debate: Marijuana - Angleton, TX (Aug '10) Jan 14 anonymous 5
Surveillance Video Features Lake Jackson Bank R... (Jul '09) Jan 12 Anonymous 2
Decision not to seek teen's body ignites anger,... (Mar '07) Jan 9 ironic 12
Angry crowd gathers after Freeport police fatal... Jan 9 RChollett 1
Quintana Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web