game room murder?
Local Dude

United States

#1 Oct 9, 2008
Anyone hear anything about the robbery and murder at the Jackpot Game Room today?
Did they catch the s**t who did this?
Freds Lawnmower Repair

Dallas, TX

#2 Oct 9, 2008
Where is the Jackpot game room?
Local Dude

United States

#3 Oct 9, 2008
On 276 somewhere, I think ...
employee

San Antonio, TX

#4 Oct 9, 2008
yes they caught him. he killed the owner charlene jones
Local Dude

United States

#5 Oct 9, 2008
What happened?
local friend

Melissa, TX

#6 Oct 9, 2008
Does anyone know who it was that did this to such a sweet lady?
Jackie

Garland, TX

#7 Oct 9, 2008
local friend wrote:
Does anyone know who it was that did this to such a sweet lady?
He was an ex employee. They have not released his name yet. Please pray for this family they are close friends of mine. Charlene will be dearly missed.
local friend

Melissa, TX

#8 Oct 9, 2008
One man has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting and robbery in Quinlan.

According to police, the man robbed the Jackpot Game Room on the 2600 block of state Highway 276 at about 11 a.m. Thursday.

During the robbery, the man fatally shot the owner, Charlene Hoover, and stole an undetermined amount of money.

At about noon, Hunt County deputies arrested a man in connection with the robbery and shooting. The man, whose name has not yet been released, will be charged with capital murder, police said.
friend

Dallas, TX

#9 Oct 10, 2008
does anyone know funeral arrangements?
Family Friend

Dallas, TX

#10 Oct 10, 2008
The family is currently making the arrangements. It will be posted as soon as we know.
Freds Lawnmower Repair

Dallas, TX

#11 Oct 10, 2008
Prayers and sympathy to the family.
I've never been there but my bro-in-law used to go up there all the time.
Twin

United States

#12 Oct 10, 2008
My condolences go out to all of Charlene's family and friends.

I did not know Charlene long, but what I do know is she always met me with a smile and made me laugh.

I know that her life now with our Heavenly Father will be her ample reward for a job well done.
Southers Family

Plano, TX

#14 Oct 10, 2008
We just found out and there are no words to express the lost of Charlene, She was a wonderful lady with a huge heart! She was there for my family when my father, Raymond Southers Died. There is not enough words to express her heart of gold! We loved her dearly. We would love to know information on her Funeral.

Anyone that can provide further information please email me at [email protected]

My heart and prays are there for her sweet Family.

Southers Family.
Twin wrote:
My condolences go out to all of Charlene's family and friends.
I did not know Charlene long, but what I do know is she always met me with a smile and made me laugh.
I know that her life now with our Heavenly Father will be her ample reward for a job well done.
Southers Family

Plano, TX

#15 Oct 10, 2008
Southers Family Dallas Tx and Arlington Tx..
Are Prays Are with Charlene Hoover Jones Family.
Delores Mendoza

Denver, CO

#16 Jun 18, 2010
LIFE IN PRISON FOR JERRY LYNN PHELPS! He will die in prison and that is what he truly deserves for taking our Charlene away! I am happy to know he did not get away with what he did.
http://www.vanzandtnewspapers.com/print.php...
http://www.vanzandtnewspapers.com/
Fri, 07 May 2010 08:31:00
Phelps To Serve Life,
By Larry Briscoe, Editor
Jerry Lynn Phelps was sentenced to life in prison without parole this week for the Oct. 9, 2008, capital murder of Charlene Hoover-Jones, according to Hunt County District Attorney Noble D. Walker Jr.
Jerry Lynn Phelps was sentenced to life in prison without parole this week for the Oct. 9, 2008, capital murder of Charlene Hoover-Jones, according to Hunt County District Attorney Noble D. Walker Jr.
Jones worked at a game room at 2660 State Highway 276, west of West Tawakoni when she was shot twice.
The state had previously announced that it would seek the death penalty in the case, and jury selection was scheduled to begin on May 17. The 58-year-old defendant had a Wills Point address in south Hunt County.
Walker said, "The state had not made a plea offer in this case and was prepared to proceed with trial and seek the death penalty. However in recent weeks, counsel for defendant indicated that he was willing to plead guilty to life without parole and his offer was communicated to Ms. Hoover-Jones’ family."
Walker said a majority of the family agreed with the waiver of the death penalty in exchange for the defendant’s plea of guilty to life without parole.
"As part of the plea, the defendant was required to waive his right to appeal," the district attorney said. "As such, the family, as well as the state, will have the finality of the conviction and punishment as opposed to the uncertainty of the lengthy appeals process that would have resulted had the defendant been found guilty and sentenced to death. We are extremely pleased that this case has been resolved with this defendant never to be released from the penitentiary during his natural life."
Walker commended Ms. Hoover-Jones’ family members for their active involvement in the prosecution of the case as well as the Hunt County Sheriff’s Department and Assistant District Attorney Keli Aiken for their work in solving and preparing the case for presentation to a Hunt County Jury.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quinlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone have SuddenLink Cable/Internet? (Dec '10) Sep 4 soniaholliday 37
Where is Michael Chambers? Aug '17 dolly 1
Robert R. cyr (Dec '12) Aug '17 Terrie Poole 2
Women of Royse City Aug '17 Lloyd 2
City Administration (Jan '12) Aug '17 Gary lovejoy 6
News Man Behind Alcohol Petition Says Area Will... (Jun '09) Aug '17 RealRosie 7
Need a dentist? May '17 dentisttreetx 1

Quinlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quinlan Mortgages