Donny Brock

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

I am a forth generatrion Quinlanite. I am quite radical. I am also sick of the "good ole boy" way this town allows Billy Green to do business. Our city council is comprised (mostly) of people content with the idea that Quinlan should be lost in 1990. Our police force that is usually not even filled is paid with peanuts. 10.50 - 11.00 is all you can ever expect to make here, so if you really do want to make adifference in the world please go somewhere else, where the importance of your job will be appreciated. Not to mention the fact that our "consultant to the city" will micromanage everthing you do.(I have even followed him arround town following our police on patrol, which I think endangers not only our officers but himself as well.) While sitting around city hall this morning trying to impress the office staff (who are all 40 years his junior and all female) I gave him an ultimatum. Fill our police roster and give our town 24 hour police protection or I would make him famous and I mean it. He assured me that he was searching for officers that he felt "would fit into his program" ie., do what he says, when he says. I, at this point did lose it more than a little. You see I have lived in this town all my life, my entire family was raised here and my children will be raised here. Billy Green does not even live in our city limits. His written contract gives him the right to make ANY decisions he sees fit for this city but at the same time releases him from ANY liability for any of his decisions or actions. Our city council meets once a month and is given and information packet that contains all the information that they will use to make decisions for the citizens like you and I. Problem is Billy Green must be the one who generates the pakets. Seems like a lot of leeway and power for one man to possess to me. As a matter of fact it seems like too much power I'm sure of it. Our council is mostly uninterested in citizen input before the meeting and I assure I have addressed them enough for them to be sick of hearing my voice. But after addressing a few federal agencies and a few county agencies about the same thing I got action, alot of action. Why are the citizens like myself not given the respect and voice we deserve? I am as disgusted by the Quinlan-Twakoni News editor Larry Briscoe who continues to "polish poop" and serve it up as apples. Half quotes and a half harted atempt are all you can expect as far as the paper goes.(Lots of good ole boy examples, huh?) I will see you at the next election, and wether you like me or not I do want to bring our town into the modern era, not 1990 where we are currently stuck. I have no hidden agenda, i have no "business" agenda to protect, I only want to make what we should have allready a reality. I don't care who has to be brought in or who has to be thrown out to do this. My bible teaches that right is right and wrong is wrong all the time, not to just overlook at those things that make you uncomfortable but to righteously and boldly face them. Our council gets a vote of "no confidence". And just to tell my side of the story, our city secretary Vicky, has make it quite known that the reason she left a 60,00.00 position, and added a 1 1/2 hour drive for her new job was because of all the "unbearable" extra work she had to do to satisfy me. Well I call B.S., I have only made 5 Freedom of information requests from the city in the last two years. A total of 60 pages maybe. None in the last six months except for a copy of this and last years budget. I say,"If you are right why take a 30,000 a year cut in pay and drive to Dallas everyday. But if you know something that might just get you into trouble then maybe the paycut wasn't such a bad idea." Maybe it was a reaqlly good idea, especially if you expect Billy Green to stick his neck out for you. He has immunity you don't do you?
skunky BO funk

Azle, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Your problem in "Quinlan" appears to be "slumlords" running the city into the ground and misusing their influence and property tax funds however they see fit on the "city council" there. Once you understand this, the main reason they are doing it is primarily to buy up more dirt cheap property because of their unfair influence over the "city council".

For instance, in many small cities, they might not be fairly or properly enforcing property laws and codes, such as by ignoring the "slumlords" numerous property violations and then using code enforcement and property ordinances to harass people the "slumlords" don't like possibly next door to the "slumlords" and all because the "slumlords" might want to buy up their abandoned properties cheap when they finally run them off.

While I can't say for sure this is happening there, a drive through your "city" sure makes it seem something is going seriously wrong there, and in a bad, bad way. Your post above is exactly why cities become disincorporated when the voters finally have had enough to throw the bums out and let the county step in and fix things. Another option is merging with another nearby city, but if that is not viable, and I think that has to be voted on by the citizens, then disincorporation will certainly shake things up a lot, especially if the "slumlords" are controlling the city there.
fed up

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

i am sick and tired of nothing getting done in this town, from signs not beeing replaced to potholes not being filled to have the sewer lines not being fixed(the city got a grant for it) and how much property does billy green own in quinlan? and who did walmart buy thier land from? and how many city employes (female and under 30) have ben sexually harassed?
Butch Jones

Caddo Mills, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Aug 15

The problem with everything around here is to much lying going on and to many people for themselves not each other we still have issues in this town just like before the people vote in office what they think is the right person for the job by all of the promises they make and then they turn on us and it is deja vu all over again the people are running this town not the elected officials, they are voted in to run and or manage the town for us while we live a everyday lifestyle if everyone worked together and put all of there extra energy in helping each other instead of fighting with everybody this town would be a model for the rest of the world, we need to help those that cant afford help not help those that already have everything and want more just remember to vote you are in control not the people who we voted in office that have failed us again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Quinlan News Video

•••
•••

Quinlan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Quinlan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Quinlan News, Events & Info