Cotton Gin... Huge eye sore
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
skunky BO funk

Azle, TX

#21 Jul 14, 2012
So, this cotton gin is a bigger problem than all the trashed out houses and properties everywhere else in "Quinlan"? Really? Seriously? You need to take a sightseeing trip to another third world hell hole called the city formerly known as "Briar" on the NW side of Eagle Mountain lake and see a lot of comparisons to "Quinlan".

The problem in both "cities" is known as "slumlords" which, according to posts here, seem to be running the city of "Quinlan" straight into the ground. What finally happened to "Briar" was the political infighting and corruption got so bad, the citizens finally got enough votes to break up the city and let the county move back in for enforcement, since the "slumlords" were just stealing the property tax money and helping themselves and their pals and not helping the city at all.

You might want to look at property tax valuations that people who own a lot of property there are claiming, and see if they are in line with what other nearby properties are valued at, especially the lake front properties, because in some Texas counties, these lake front properties are ran by a seperate property tax office than the rest of the county will use for property valuations.

"Slumlords" can only afford a lot of properties that are vacant or undeveloped if they are deliberately undervalued, which is why they are allowed to sit there forever and be a community blight. And all the property tax records are public records and can be easily searched by anyone.
Me-Maw 68

Hulbert, OK

#22 Dec 15, 2012
The only way Quinlan will change is when all these "top" citizens die off. Quinlan is a prime example of what happens in so many of the small towns around. Don't complain, get off your duffs and VOTE!
not so nice mommy

United States

#23 Dec 21, 2012
Me-Maw 68 wrote:
The only way Quinlan will change is when all these "top" citizens die off. Quinlan is a prime example of what happens in so many of the small towns around. Don't complain, get off your duffs and VOTE!
Yes. That crook Billy Green needs to GO. Thats a start. Then new Police Chief. Now we are getting somewhere. But if this city is ran and served by puppets then thats what we get.
wondering

Leonard, TX

#24 Dec 25, 2012
Lets say three of current city council is voted out in the next election cycle. What would be the first
thing you think they need to do other than firing Billy Green. What is wrong with the Police Chief are
you a disgruntled expoliceman?
Thomas in Quinlan

United States

#25 May 30, 2013
Congrats on winning the Mayoral election Donny, you seem to have your head screwed on straight. It may be difficult now with all the recent drama but keep the faith. I just moved South of town 6 mo ago from Dallas and I knew this was the right place for me. This is where East Texas begins, and there is alot of good here, and the bad stuff is in every city.
Kelly

United States

#26 May 30, 2013
The ol' cotton gin is a historic marker to our town. Back in the day, when a class would graduate, they would all go out there and write graffiti on it. I don't agree it should go anywhere. Take your modern asses back to the city. This is my little country town where I was born and raised.

Since: May 13

Bullard, TX

#27 May 31, 2013
I like the gin, it looks cool and I think it is nice to have a place kids can go a take photos in their prom dress or whatever and write on walls instead of all over town. Minus the vulgar stuff! But it's graffiti right? I would think it would be pretty simple to do some coverup graffiti of your own for something that was offensive. I guess I thought it was like a rite of passage or something like that and gave me a home town kind of feel
Nikki

Quinlan, TX

#28 Aug 22, 2013
Quinlan Citizen wrote:
There are many eyesores in Quinlan. The biggest of which is the Cotton Gin with grafiti all over it. Who owns this? and is there any way some city officials could do something about it.
**8/22/13-In July '13, I spoke with the mayor's office to see what steps need to be made to have the 2014 FHS Senior Class could paint the Cotton Gin all white & paint " Home if the Quinlan Panthers!" instead of them adding more graffiti to it; the woman I spoke with said she would soak to the owner & call me back but I've never heard from her again. My oldest daughter will be a Senior this year & I know that she and MANY other students would step up and help out.
Old Quinlanite

Hope Hull, AL

#29 Feb 20, 2015
White Trash Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
I am offended by the comment of yours about "white trash" in Quinlan. You do not have to be "poor" to be "white trash". So, come on all the Dallas money and become white trash with the rest of us.
Dallas is what brought the trash and meth to the Quinlan and lake area. Come on Dallasite, buy a mansion on wheels and change the world.
SmallTownMother

United States

#30 Jul 17, 2015
I've lived in Quinlan for the past 22 years.
First of all, Donny Brock, your a shitty mayor and have only given our town an even worse reputation. The cops are crooked, the council staff is crooked, and your crooked. Do us a favor and step down.
Second, the cotton gin is a main part of Quinlan history and should be restored/preserved. Quit bitching about graffiti and fix the place up. Its almost 100 years old, and though riddled with unreadable names, deserves to be painted and preserved.
Third, quit spending out money on stupid catfish tournaments, and fix the damn roads!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quinlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RCHS Girls BB Gone Bad? (Jan '14) Aug 16 Dallas sports 9
sad town no Xmas decorations Aug 16 queen bee 3
soda pop bear (Mar '13) Aug 16 queen bee 15
Quinlan Church of CHRIST Aug 16 Heath 72 1
Charlie's Hamburgers (May '14) Aug 6 T2RC 10
Charlie's Aug 2 T2RC 1
Royse City Mayor Jim Mellody Resigns (Sep '08) Jul '16 abc 89

Quinlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance