Applying for an LTC-A in Quincy, MA as a First Time Applicant - Looking for Info

Posted in the Quincy Forum

StevenGlock

Quincy, MA

#1 Jul 21, 2013
I'm looking for some info on the best way to go about obtaining a Class A LTC in Quincy, MA - ideally I'm looking for a someone in town who possesses one and cab give me some feedback on any or all of the below.

This is where I'm currently at:

I've satisfied the state requirements - have already completed the basic safety course, and also additional 1-on-1 time with an instructor. The lawful reasons I wish to use on my application are personal protection, and the ability to pursue lifelong education and training (I want to develop my skill as a marksman, so I can responsibly carry and use a pistol in self-defense). I know Quincy is a "green" town, but would this be a strong enough case to get one with no restrictions?

Secondly, even though Quincy is a "green" town, I've heard the process is more still more restrictive than in neighboring South Shore towns - not as bad as under former Chief Crowley, but from what I've read it sounds like Chief DiBona still makes it difficult (he said in a Patriot Ledger article that gun ownership is a "privlidge" and not a "right", which is false under the second amendment, and that you need to have a purpose). I think my case states a legitimate purpose. I've also heard DiBona won't issue an LTC to anyone under the age of 25 (for the record, I am over that age). Can anyone provide insight into this?

Thirdly, the Quincy PD (unlike other several other SS towns), doesn't list specific information on applying for a license. I've heard that some towns require additional documentation that seems unnecessary (i.e a doctor's note, multiple letters of reference, etc.) but Quincy makes no mention of anything. I've also heard that it takes 6-10 weeks to obtain one (vs. other South Shore towns in the ~2 week range), with some cases arbitrarily taking up to a year.

Questions here - when I go to apply, who exactly should I contact at the Quincy police station, what extra documentation (if any) should I bring, and what questions should I expect during the screening as a first time applicant?

I know this is long, but I haven't been able to find a lot of specifics on Quincy. I'm sure this could also help someone else as well. Thanks and appreciate any objective insight on this!
MikeyMike

Boston, MA

#2 May 29, 2014
Did you ever get any insight on this? I am trying to obtain my LTC in Quincy too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quincy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
beat up in front of my wife (Mar '11) 7 hr sissybrucie 30
black lives do not matter 10 hr long_ranger 18
Tom Brady and the Deflation of Dignity Wed Jeffrey Alan Payne 1
Rap Your Way to College With Life Experience Wed Culture Auditor 1
News Wynn's Traffic Numbers Supported by State May 19 Ka ching ka ching 4
why do white men act like they don't like black... (Mar '11) May 19 haha 117
News Multiple Boston Men Arraigned For Participating... May 19 Noyb 1
More from around the web

Quincy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE