How did Houdini die?

How did Houdini die?

There are 81 comments on the Newsday.com story from Mar 23, 2007, titled How did Houdini die?. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

An attorney representing a descendant of legendary magician Harry Houdini said he would file papers in court Monday seeking to exhume Houdini's remains from a Queens cemetery to try to determine whether he was ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

Jessica

United States

#43 Sep 23, 2008
Henry Houdini died not doing a magical act , This kid went into his dressing room , He said Houdini is it true that you are so strong that your stomach could take three piercing vouches? yes houdini answerd . He stood up But before Houdini had time to tighten up his muscels the kid did three piercing punches , Houdinis appendix was damaged then caused infection, he died on the stage at age 52 on October 31 1908 Right on halloween
Jessica

United States

#44 Sep 24, 2008
Houdini did die doing one of his tricks.
He was in his dressing room and this young man asked him is it true you can take three piercing vouches through your stomach??? Houdini stood up and said yes . Before houdini could ever tighten up his stomach muscles the man did three punches into houdinis stomach . it damage d his appendix that got infected , he died on the stage at age 52on October 31 1908
brianna

United States

#45 Nov 1, 2008
was the time 1:26 pm. on halloween.
Stool Softener

Coram, NY

#46 Nov 2, 2008
Kristy wrote:
after doing some research on houdini's death myself, i found that there are many misonceptions about how Eric Weiss
aka "Harry Houdini" really died. Contrary to popular belief he did not die in a water escape cell, nor did he die from a punch to the stomache. He died from peritonitis caused by a ruptured appendix (appendicitis). His appendix was probaly ruptured from being punched by other people, but they did not cause his death.
Hope this helps!
Absolutely. Peritonitis did it.

Actually, Houdini was not making a transition to new media very well. He tried acting in silent films but he was genuinely awful. He had only two expressions and neither one was very good. He also co-wrote some science fiction, which was just appearing, thanks to Hugo Gernsback.

Houdini's stage act was over an hour long and was incredibly slow paced. He used to have orchestra play dramatic music for 25 minutes while he "escaped" from a locked cage - behind a curtain! The music was used to cover up the sounds of a hacksaw blade.(From "The Secrets of Houdini")
Aidan

South San Francisco, CA

#47 Nov 6, 2008
he died drowning in an escape
jonathan

Forest Hills, NY

#48 Dec 21, 2008
I think he was chained and he put himself in a box full a water and he failed.He didnt come out from the box
dgdhdhs

Hawthorne, CA

#49 Dec 21, 2008
Houdini was killed by a rather hard punch in the stomach.Let me guess by who? A collage kid thats who. Houdini flexed his stomach in a way so when people punched him it did not hurt at all.But ... Houdini was ready when people punched him so he flexed his mucles right away.The collage kid didnt ask (can I punch you in the stomach)him if he could .And so Houdini was not ready to be punched in the stomach so he died from a diesese.
dgdhdhs

Hawthorne, CA

#50 Dec 21, 2008
Oh and by the way im only 9 years old my dad told me how Houdini realy died.Why? Because my teacher told me that he had a bad bar fight and got punched into the stomach and died.She lied...she does the meanest things .My class was doing book reports and this little boy said he died when he was in a straight jacket in a river and didnt get out.They were both wrong .My teacher does this consantly.On my last bookreport she made me cry.Shes a big fat jerk!

Since: Nov 08

Port Washington, NY

#51 Dec 21, 2008
What the eff? I hope he haunts the hell out of these maniacs if they exhume him, lol. He died of peritonitis which has been common knowledge for years. I swear, every few years some ghoul wants to dig up the famous dead for no good reason.

creepy.
pojvhybxg

Baldwin Park, CA

#52 Jan 23, 2009
i have done reaserch or harry houdinis death, he didnt die in a water cell nor did he from apendix or from being poisned he died from being punched from a college guy when he wasnt prepared and the collage guy, i forgot his name, punched him without stopping and houdini countinued doing shows without going to a hospital until bess threw a fit and made him go to the hospital
pojvhybxg

Baldwin Park, CA

#53 Jan 23, 2009
no he didnt i hate to burst your bubble though! DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!
Balto

Norwalk, CT

#54 Jan 23, 2009
Peritonitis killed him after a punch in the gut.

Next case, please...
Tawana Brawley

Saint Petersburg, FL

#55 Jan 23, 2009
I believe he suffered from an acute ingrown hair.
aka

United States

#56 Feb 15, 2009
he had died from the bunch in the stomack from a collage kid
who cares

Glen Cove, NY

#57 Feb 15, 2009
Is this the best Newsday can come up with?
Fernberg

Norwalk, CT

#58 Feb 15, 2009
He pulled too hard while dreaming about the late Queen Victoria.
Shlomo McGillicuddy

Cos Cob, CT

#59 Feb 15, 2009
Wasn't it from botulism. You know, bad meat in the can, kind of like what killed that qu33r W.0.P., Liberace.
Let it go

Coram, NY

#60 Feb 15, 2009
Houdini was the cause of his own death. He failed to have appendicitis treated properly. He died days after the famous punch and was in another city. He was nearing the end of his stage career and was making an unsuccessful effort to get into movies. He also tried to write science ficton, with no success.
Im better than yall

Cincinnati, OH

#61 Feb 15, 2009
houdini? i tohught it was who done it...
Daffy the Duck

Laconia, TN

#62 Feb 27, 2009
I don't know what all of u are saying,because Henry was a great magician not like some of u.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Queens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can a man love two women at the same time? (Mar '10) 2 hr JustPlain 217
News A 'hell on Horton Road' for family of murder vi... (Jul '06) 7 hr troothpaste 1,121
News Mom finds baby dead in stroller 10 hr Natalie Portman 1
Review: Dr Rolando M. Melendez DPM 20 hr Colephiffer 1
News No evidence placing Hillary at murder scene, po... Tue howdy 13
News Muslims Protest Police Policies: "Walking While... (Mar '13) May 25 mohammed was a pe... 2
New York Post Article on SDA Pastor (Aug '13) May 25 wnper6 11
More from around the web

Queens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]