American Beech

There are 1 comment on the Wood & Wood Products story from Mar 15, 2007, titled American Beech. In it, Wood & Wood Products reports that:

“Though in Europe the beech was utilized in every part by a wood-hungry civilization as the best of available hardwoods, in America the early settlers soon found 20 hardwood trees better than beech.”

No Day at the Beach Despite its tendencies to warp when dry, American beech, if cured properly, has many uses. via Wood & Wood Products

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wood & Wood Products.

Gene McMillen

Albrightsville, PA

#1 Apr 12, 2007
I live in Quarryville, PA and I was amazed to see this article! I am a certified arborist and former logger and was stunned to see a local article having anything to do with trees. I would only add that as an ornamental species the American beech has many disease and insect issues. It is also viewed negetively from a loggers viewpoint because as you mentioned it has little saw log value. Even with the negative facts I've mentioned above as well as the ones from your article it is still a great tree.
I love native trees in the landscape and if properly managed this can be a great one. Another plus for this species (in the forest) is that the nuts produced are an important food source for several game species: ruffed grouse, deer, black bear, and turkey.
If you ever would like to talk more about trees please contact me at [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quarryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Guilty of Trespassing _ and Sleeping _ in W... Jul 6 Jack 2
Lancaster Puppies PA Puppy Mill (Feb '13) Jun 27 santannani 39
News Prosecutor: Slain mom, girl were witnesses agai... (Aug '15) Aug '15 About time 1
News Police: Murder suspect chased second man with k... (Apr '10) Aug '15 Kenny 8
News 'Amish Mafia' finds 'Forbidden Knowledge' on Di... (Mar '15) Mar '15 bill 1
News Willow Street man is charged with stealing from... (Oct '09) Nov '14 steve 4
Female nudes (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ejstrayer 1

Quarryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quarryville Mortgages