Deborah Brownlow

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

There needs to be others besides me asking questions. Hospital employees are concerned......he probably thinks it is because they like him, but all too often it has been discovered that to disagree with him or ask the wrong questions results in termination--- I think it is more likely fear for their positions that causes the hospital employees to remain silent.

People need to request the financials monthly --- create a community watchdog group and have a different person request the financials for the previous month. Attend the board meetings and ask questions. I have asked for the feasibility study on the nursing home -- it will apparently cost me an arm and leg to get as it is bound and will take loads of time to copy (it is also about 150 pages according to Mr Nail).

Folks, let me tell you something. If you think I am causing trouble, and you are happy with what is going on with the hospital, let me know and I will concentrate my energies elsewhere. I live in Quanah and have been lucky thus far in not needing the services here (used the hospital one time and can tell you that I was not happy nor did I feel that they did their jobs). Others are not so lucky and have been using the facilities here. The NP I wouldn't take my dog to --- and I don't much like my dog.

I have not hear a plethora of good things about this facility --- which leads me to believe that there are issues internally that the citizens have not been made aware of. And I repeat --- has anyone noticed the postings locally for 40 employees and have 40 local persons been hired? I see lots of unfamiliar faces there-----

I repeat ---- ask questions, attend board meetings, call board members, make notes when at the meetings. Demand transparency from your hospital leadership.
nlt

Oklaunion, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Deborah Brownlow wrote:
?
This seems to be somewhat of an unusual arrangement although other hospitals do have arrangements for administration from outside the hospital. As far as your concern about what he is being paid, I think that is a legitimate concern. His previous salary as an employee of the hospital was far in excess of the average salary in the U.S and more than even very large hospitals in San Antonio, Houston etc. On that standpoint I would question the extent of his renumeration. On the other hand, the hospital has added support services that do benefit the aging population of Quanah and surrounding area and in so doing helps to keep them here close to loved ones and spending their money here instead of elsewhere. Additionally those services increase the financial well being of the hospital. I feel this will be very important in the coming years with the advent of the baby boomer generation beginning in 2011. A vibrant health care service for the aging baby boomer generation is a good thing and one that will help attract retirees to our area as well.
nlt

Oklaunion, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

All that being said, quite frankly, I have never been impressed with the quality of care or doctors in the hospital per se and still am not but it is difficult to attract good doctors to rural areas unless we "grow them" outselves by helping put promising students through med school. I am now actually impressed, however, at the willingness of the hospital today to transport whether by ambulance or airlift patients that cannot be adequately cared for locally. I am not worried about who pays for the transport. Obviously someone does and it won't be the hospital. My own family suffered in the past because of the hospital and doctors tendency to try to hold patients just a few more days instead of getting them to a hospital with doctors and facilities that have the expertise to handle the situation. The welfare of the patient should always trump the need for more bed days. I would urge the hospital and doctors to be more diligent in helping find the best facility/doctors to transport them to in a timely manner. I say this because when my grandson had two compound fractures in his leg and time was of the essence to prevent bone infection he was allowed to spend excessive time waiting for the Dr. to get there then sent to WF who had no pediatric orthopedic surgon. The surgeon who was there was furious that he had not been sent directly to Cooks where he could have been attended to properly but by that time it was too late to send him to Cooks....too much time had elapsed and the risk of bone infection too great by then. The surgeon told us he really was not qualified to work on a child but we had no choice and he would do his best. My grandson suffered permanent damage to his leg that might, I say might, have been prevented had he been immediately sent to the proper facility. Unfortunately this was the third such incident in my family when the family member should have been shipped immediately and wasn't. One resulted in death for a diagnosis any good charge nurse let alone a doctor could have made. By the time the family finally could got him released and to Abilene he was already septic from a blocked bowel. So do I think the hospital is better off today...definitely. Can it be better....definitely. Do I think it is headed in the right direction. Yes I do.
Sachel

Vernon, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

I don't have a problem with the care I have received at the hospital. I don't think he should make that much money. They say hospital care is high because of malpractice insurance. Well what about Nail's salery?
Deborah Brownlow

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Sachel wrote:
I don't have a problem with the care I have received at the hospital. I don't think he should make that much money. They say hospital care is high because of malpractice insurance. Well what about Nail's salery?
According to statistics, Nail is making more than hospital administrators in places like San Francisco, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta.... etc.

I have used this hospital previously without good results. My mom was there several times and the level of care was less than what you got at a board-n-care vets office. Have heard absolutely nothing stellar about the NP (know of one instance when she told a family member that their parent was old and had had a good life - just let them go).

Barring some form of disaster, how much parking does the hospital need? Even with all beds full, it would be hard to justify buying up an additional 1/2 city block just for parking. Additionally, just how much is it going to cost to turn it into a parking lot in addition to the monies dished out for purchase price? Buying a house for on-call staff? If the staff lived locally, would be no need for on-call sleeping quarters.

While I applaud NLTs optimism that Quanah is going to be flooded at some point with retirees, I see that day a long time in the coming. And while the CAG is making progress at cleaning up along 287 -- you still cannot argue with the statisics from the Census Bureau -- Quanah population has further declined since the last census was done.

I agree -- Quanah needs QUALITY physicians, a good hospital, and ancillary services. However, I have to question the amount of money being expended and the means of revenue recoupment. Keep in mind Medicare and Medicaid are continuing to cut reimbursement rates -- how does the hospital expect to make up that money?

I just feel that if the hospital is a county entity, funded by county monies, then the citizens of the County should have some say in the direction the hospital is taking and the way that the funds are used. Referendum anyone?
dnt

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

Scott Nail does an outstanding job. We are lucky to have him in our area. He earns his pay and has turned this hospital around from one that was on the brink of calamity, to one that is in good financial shape and offering more services than it ever has.
Bravo Scott Nail!
Carb22

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

Don't list to these player haters Scott Nail! They are jealous because you earn a good salary. They don't care how hard you work, or how much you have accomplished.
Sachel

Vernon, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

I don't know where they get the money they never have many patients.
lady gaga

Graham, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Carb22 wrote:
Don't list to these player haters Scott Nail! They are jealous because you earn a good salary. They don't care how hard you work, or how much you have accomplished.
if thats not a scott nail comment, ive never heard one. give me a break!
Deborah Brownlow

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Carb22 wrote:
Wish that were the case. No problem with a good salary if it is in line with the geographical location and size of the health system.

I repeat again, this man is making more operating a rural county hospital than someone operating a Kaiser / Catholic Health Partners / Ascension facility with 75 times the beds, and in most cases in cities (notice its not counties) with 100 times the population.

Like I said previously, let him run it into the ground. There are other things that I can occupy my mind with. And, if he proves me wrong, I'll be the first to stand up and admit it.
Sachel

Vernon, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

lady gaga wrote:
<quoted text>if thats not a scott nail comment, ive never heard one. give me a break!
I have never seen him working except flirting.
Carb22

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

I think he has already proven you wrong. The hospital was in terrible financial shape when he took office. Look at it now. It is in outstanding shape thanks to his leadership and insight.

He is getting paid what he is worth. He is worth every penny.

Without him, we may have lost our hospital like a bunch of other rural areas. If we have to up his pay to keep him, we should do it.

Thank you Scott Nail for your work!
Sachel

Vernon, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Debbie I think you may as well forget it. I would like to know where they get the money to pay that kind of salery. They never have many patients. Maybe they borrow it. Anyway no one seems to care about it. Mark my words some day they will.
on the up side

Quanah, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

He MIGHT have it turned around in your eyes but when the bottom drops out. What will happen then?
Less and less people are living here now. He is a nice guy. But you dont cross him. The people who take care of the pts are the ones who are worth every penny. With him we may still lose our hospital in time.
Captain Howdy

Bellevue, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Last time I borrowed money they expected to be paid back sometime. A lawsuit is still on the books.And remember who is on the hospital board. The same one who violated pollution laws.
Deborah Brownlow

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Carb22 wrote:
I think he has already proven you wrong. The hospital was in terrible financial shape when he took office. Look at it now. It is in outstanding shape thanks to his leadership and insight.
He is getting paid what he is worth. He is worth every penny.
Without him, we may have lost our hospital like a bunch of other rural areas. If we have to up his pay to keep him, we should do it.
Thank you Scott Nail for your work!
Have you requested the financials and looked at them? 4 months of data (Oct 2009, Nov 2009, Dec 2009 and March 2010):
October 2009 -$322,952.33
November 2009 -$150,002.34
December 2009 -$345,310.37
March 2010 $ 19,257.17

Total Profit / Loss -$ 799,007.67 does not include January or February 2010 as I didn't request that information.

Anyone willing to request the data and compare numbers? There is every possibility that I have read the reports wrong -- I am, after all, just a local yokel with very little smarts upstairs.

Wonder why the financial condition is not reported monthly?
lady gaga

Graham, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Sachel wrote:
Debbie I think you may as well forget it. I would like to know where they get the money to pay that kind of salery. They never have many patients. Maybe they borrow it. Anyway no one seems to care about it. Mark my words some day they will.
i know how you feel, but that is what scott would like for us to do. never give up when you are fighting for something you believe in. im so tired of hearing what a good job he is doing. he is not doing this for you or me, only for himself. he only cares about his pocket book. all that he has dreamed up is for scott nail & scott nail only. all this talk about jobs he has created for this town, when are the jobs posted? he hires within! scott has been allowed to run this hospital his way & i blame the board for all of it.you are right, time will tell. keep up the good work debbie. im behind you all the way & will help any way i can. never give up!!!!
on the up side

Quanah, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

if they all know how to handle the finances. Can you tell me if any of them have ever file bankruptcy. I am almost sure one of the board members have.
also a lot of people dont read this or even know about it, is there any way to get it more to the public?
Deborah Brownlow

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

on the up side wrote:
if they all know how to handle the finances. Can you tell me if any of them have ever file bankruptcy. I am almost sure one of the board members have.
also a lot of people dont read this or even know about it, is there any way to get it more to the public?
I am trying to find out if Nail has filed bankruptcy. Heard he did, but cannot find out anything definitive. It was either in Ada Ok or Satanta KS --- before he came to Quanah.

I will keep digging and let you know if I come up with anything. Don't know about the board members, but that should be easy to find out. Check the court records here or in Wichita Falls, as the case would have been heard in one of the two places.
Temeca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

Is Frank F a crook too

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of102
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Quanah Discussions

Search the Quanah Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 2 hr Truth is might 21,082
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Anyone Know 16,790
howard pittman 12 hr rrddrrtt 5
Unchain your dog 19 hr quanah 6
divorce 21 hr little mom 2
Karen Jennings Wed Face facts 24
Autopsy reveals no alcohol in Johnson's system Jul 8 little mom 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Quanah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000