nlt

Barnesville, OH

#21 Apr 6, 2010
make a difference wrote:
Several years ago the city leadershipp and the city counsel tried to enforce a number of ordinances that were on record. However, those in charge had the windows broken out of their business and their dogs poisoned. Not to mention a derogatory letter "that mysteriously" ended up in the bundles of the Quanah Tribune Chief. The letters were not published as letters to the editor, they were malicious hand written letter that had been photocopied and then inserted among the newspaper bundles. As people would purchase the paper these letters would fall out. Of course no one took responsibility of it and there was no further investigation into this. I wish the farm animals in the city limits ordinance could be enforced but when that was approached in the past the director of the Meals on Wheels was telling the elderly clients that this would prohibit them from keeping their chickens etc. At that time, no one had mentioned eliminating the chickens, they just did not want cattle, horses, goats, hogs, and sheep in the city for a prolonged periood of time. I do not have a problem with students keeping their "show" animals in town as they are usually present for a short amount of time and not a large quanity of animals in a small pen. As for the trucks, they do cause wear and tear on the streets but so do the constant water leaks that are never fixed properly. There are a couple of places on Cain Street that are constantly under repair. The alleys between west third street and west fourth street are constantly dug up. So I have to say the large trucks are not entirely to blame.

There are a number of city ordinances that need to be enforced if we are to have a viable town in the future and even begin to hope to attract new residents and businesses. It is a difficult and thankless task but one that is necessary. We can all help by trying to be positive and help people understand why it is important.
what a deal

Van Nuys, CA

#22 Apr 6, 2010
make a difference wrote:
Several years ago the city leadershipp and the city counsel tried to enforce a number of ordinances that were on record. However, those in charge had the windows broken out of their business and their dogs poisoned. Not to mention a derogatory letter "that mysteriously" ended up in the bundles of the Quanah Tribune Chief. The letters were not published as letters to the editor, they were malicious hand written letter that had been photocopied and then inserted among the newspaper bundles. As people would purchase the paper these letters would fall out. Of course no one took responsibility of it and there was no further investigation into this. I wish the farm animals in the city limits ordinance could be enforced but when that was approached in the past the director of the Meals on Wheels was telling the elderly clients that this would prohibit them from keeping their chickens etc. At that time, no one had mentioned eliminating the chickens, they just did not want cattle, horses, goats, hogs, and sheep in the city for a prolonged periood of time. I do not have a problem with students keeping their "show" animals in town as they are usually present for a short amount of time and not a large quanity of animals in a small pen. As for the trucks, they do cause wear and tear on the streets but so do the constant water leaks that are never fixed properly. There are a couple of places on Cain Street that are constantly under repair. The alleys between west third street and west fourth street are constantly dug up. So I have to say the large trucks are not entirely to blame.
would love to hear more about what was wrote in letter and what happened next.i seen two of the flyers on mance nelson and martha.one was stolen from me and i sold the other one for ten bucks.i wonder if the buyer ever got it signed by mance.it hasnt shown up on ebay yet.
nlt

United States

#23 Apr 6, 2010
what a deal wrote:
<quoted text>would love to hear more about what was wrote in letter and what happened next.i seen two of the flyers on mance nelson and martha.one was stolen from me and i sold the other one for ten bucks.i wonder if the buyer ever got it signed by mance.it hasnt shown up on ebay yet.
Flyers on Mance and Martha? I certainly hope you jest. That type of behavior is low. Kangaroo Court no less. Shame on whoever put such a thing out.
Captain Howdy

Wichita Falls, TX

#25 Apr 7, 2010
nlt wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling people derogatory names does no one justice including those who do so. How many city council meetings have you attended. How many questions have you asked of them. Them against us is not a good strategy to improve things. Gaining an understanding of the official and required duties of the council, citizens duties, city ordinances, state requirements etc. is a beginning to understanding how to improve our town.
It is called poetic justice.I have been to two,both were a joke. Never did find out why we still have a city judge on the pay-roll.I have talk to several council members over the years. They all spoke the same three words. I DON'T KNOW.Them against us was started by the so called elite to maintain power and control.I call it the way I see it. As long as Beavis, Butthead and the idiot squad are in charge the general public will be on the losing end. Case closed Elvis has left the building
nlt

Barnesville, OH

#26 Apr 7, 2010
Captain Howdy wrote:
<quoted text>It is called poetic justice.I have been to two,both were a joke. Never did find out why we still have a city judge on the pay-roll.I have talk to several council members over the years. They all spoke the same three words. I DON'T KNOW.Them against us was started by the so called elite to maintain power and control.I call it the way I see it. As long as Beavis, Butthead and the idiot squad are in charge the general public will be on the losing end. Case closed Elvis has left the building
Poetic justice? I think not. I too have talked to council members. Sometimes I get very good answers and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I simply did not know the right questions to ask.
Does it matter who started what? I have heard my children when they were small and were in trouble point at each other and say "he/she started it". Doesn't matter who started it. Work towards a positive outcome. In the end the voter has the power...we vote! I don't know of many cities who don't have a city judge who handles misdemeanors, helps enforces city ordinances etc. Just look it up you have a computer.

Since: Mar 10

Quanah Texas

#27 Apr 7, 2010
nlt wrote:
<quoted text>
Poetic justice? I think not. I too have talked to council members. Sometimes I get very good answers and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I simply did not know the right questions to ask.
Does it matter who started what? I have heard my children when they were small and were in trouble point at each other and say "he/she started it". Doesn't matter who started it. Work towards a positive outcome. In the end the voter has the power...we vote! I don't know of many cities who don't have a city judge who handles misdemeanors, helps enforces city ordinances etc. Just look it up you have a computer.
Just wanted to let you know Dale won't be able to make it to the meeting tomorrow night. He is still in Midland with our friend. Her dad is having by-pass surgery in the morning.
nlt

Barnesville, OH

#28 Apr 7, 2010
Robbin Ritchie wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wanted to let you know Dale won't be able to make it to the meeting tomorrow night. He is still in Midland with our friend. Her dad is having by-pass surgery in the morning.
Thanks Robbin. Hope everything goes well. Will you be there.
Applepie

Wichita Falls, TX

#29 Apr 8, 2010
If you have spoken to our council and actually received something more than a "DUH" then you must have super powers. We have a very remedial council- remedial education! I have attended council meetings and have left thinking that we are in very sorry shape. Only one or two have the ability to even ask questions! They simply sit there and look as silly as they are. Why don't you run for city council since you appear to be able to communicate with them! As for a city judge-- the only reason that we have one is so we can pay for his insurance. He is a verey highly paid crossing guard!
nlt

Barnesville, OH

#30 Apr 8, 2010
Applepie wrote:
If you have spoken to our council and actually received something more than a "DUH" then you must have super powers. We have a very remedial council- remedial education! I have attended council meetings and have left thinking that we are in very sorry shape. Only one or two have the ability to even ask questions! They simply sit there and look as silly as they are. Why don't you run for city council since you appear to be able to communicate with them! As for a city judge-- the only reason that we have one is so we can pay for his insurance. He is a verey highly paid crossing guard!
No superpowers needed, just talk to them in a civil manner and show the same respect you would like to have shown to yourself. It is having citizens involved that holds an entire council responsible not just another or new council member that is needed. We do have some council members who are certainly not "remedial" as you call them. They are beginning to move things in the right direction. I don't know about the city judge. I know that most almost all towns have a municipal judge. Often times they do overlapping duties. As I understand it he developed a severe disability while in the police Dept. as well as has a severely handicaped child. So you may be right. Perhaps the city feels an obligation to keep him officially employed so he can maintain insurance. I don't think I can fault that very much. It does speak to a city government that cares. I think we as citizens can be a bit more thoughtful too.
clueless

Graham, TX

#31 Apr 8, 2010
I am total agreement with you. I think that it is a disgrace to have creatied a job for someone just because he needed insurance and had a disabled child. If the city government thinks that is fair then I am sure that there are anumber of other people in simiilar situations that would love to have a job created just for them so that they could have some insurance.
Applepie wrote:
nlt

Harrold, TX

#32 Apr 8, 2010
clueless wrote:
I am total agreement with you. I think that it is a disgrace to have creatied a job for someone just because he needed insurance and had a disabled child. If the city government thinks that is fair then I am sure that there are anumber of other people in simiilar situations that would love to have a job created just for them so that they could have some insurance. <quoted text>
I don't think the job of city judge was "created for him". He was already a city employee but the city combined the city police and county sheriff's office. The job of city judge was available. He was well qualified and his disability would not pose a problem, so they moved him over to that position. Did his circumstances play a part? I would think so but more importantly what would have happened had the city terminated him under that situation. Yes there are a number of persons with disabilities that need assistance. Hopefully, some have employers who would not find some way to terminate them if a similar situation arises.

Quanah Texas

#33 Apr 8, 2010
nlt wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Robbin. Hope everything goes well. Will you be there.
No I have our friends kids or I would. I don't think it will be wise to bring 3 kids with me, I'd spend the whole time telling them to be quite. Just let us know whats going on and I'll let him know when he gets back.

Quanah Texas

#34 Apr 8, 2010
Applepie wrote:
Guy was moved to the judge when Judge Johnson retired.
Just Me

Blanchard, OK

#35 Apr 8, 2010
davy crockett wrote:
one more question? why is it that quanah (who has been awarded grants in the past for "road repair") has worse streets than chillicothe (same county)?
Leadership, there is none in Quanah!
hpmom

Chillicothe, TX

#36 Apr 8, 2010
Applepie wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, I remember that or some of it. Everyone was scared to enforce the ordinances and our city administrator thought we were the craziest people on earth. He left!
yea that administator was a nut case.
ropin and ridin

Van Nuys, CA

#37 Apr 8, 2010
Robbin Ritchie wrote:
<quoted text>
No I have our friends kids or I would. I don't think it will be wise to bring 3 kids with me, I'd spend the whole time telling them to be quite. Just let us know whats going on and I'll let him know when he gets back.
are you kidding.you and dale were the ones making comments about a community watch and now hes out of town doing only god knows what with her and your watching kids.its time you woke up.HE IS NO GOOD.you need to kick that boy to the curb.
nlt

United States

#38 Apr 9, 2010
ropin and ridin wrote:
<quoted text>are you kidding.you and dale were the ones making comments about a community watch and now hes out of town doing only god knows what with her and your watching kids.its time you woke up.HEto IS NO GOOD.you need to kick that boy to the curb.
Were you at the community watch meeting? I think not. Dale and Robbin's and many others support of community watch helped foster a very successful meeting. Some who had supported it were able to be there and some were not but their encouragement was. Your criticism only reflects badly on you. Thank you all who encouraged the idea of community watch....those who were able to be there and those who could not.
Captain Howdy

Wichita Falls, TX

#39 Apr 9, 2010
Applepie wrote:
Try talking to Beavis and Butthead.Both have I.Q.s lower than a bucket of rocks.
Applepie

Wichita Falls, TX

#40 Apr 9, 2010
hpmom wrote:
<quoted text>yea that administator was a nut case.
No actually, he was not. He made the mistake of trying to do something to improve this town and people did not want it to be improved. He decided that we were a lost cause and left because people poisoned his dog and threatened his children. That is the reason Quanah is in the mess that it is in!!! Some people do not like anything that they perceive to be a threat to their way of doing things. He was simply trying get the farm animals out of our city limits. Some people were very threatened by that and resorted to violence. Can't imagine killing and threatening so you could keep a horse in your back yard!
nlt

Harrold, TX

#41 Apr 9, 2010
Applepie wrote:
<quoted text> No actually, he was not. He made the mistake of trying to do something to improve this town and people did not want it to be improved. He decided that we were a lost cause and left because people poisoned his dog and threatened his children. That is the reason Quanah is in the mess that it is in!!! Some people do not like anything that they perceive to be a threat to their way of doing things. He was simply trying get the farm animals out of our city limits. Some people were very threatened by that and resorted to violence. Can't imagine killing and threatening so you could keep a horse in your back yard!
I do agree with you on this one. The presence of farm animals in residential areas pose health and safety issues that must be addressed in some manner. Some of which could be a problem with TEQC because of runoff of fecal material into drainage areas that lead to public places. We need to look at how other similar situations have been successfully addressed. Hopefully, we can do that in a manner where it is a win win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quanah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll do we need city police again? (Feb '12) 5 hr lmfao 18
It's really this simple... 6 hr RenegadePatriot 22
subway Mon subway 20
allsups May 23 highlysatisfied 1
allsups must hire anyone. May 23 lol 13
News History in a Pecan Shell, Is Quanah TX next ? (Mar '10) May 20 RenegadePatriot 16
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 20 Banfartos 708
More from around the web

Quanah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]