hilomonster

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

are you the tax payers satisfied with the job your city officials doing? as a former resident i was shocked to see how run down it has become you could develop a wii game based on avoiding the pot holes! I almost killed my rent a car. the nicest thing about the whole town was the car wash!
love my grandkids

Quanah, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

it had to be the car wash on main because the one on 287 and main never has hot water and harly ever has soap.back to the original subject.no,im not happy at all with our city or county government.people get made and accuse you of bashing on here when you say something negative but so be it.instead of patching potholes,how bout they pave at least a couple of streets around here so we are not limited to main,3rd and 287.if they do decide to pave one im sure it will be mcclelland.thats where chester lives and we do have to praise him.
Rebel

Vernon, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

hilomonster wrote:
are you the tax payers satisfied with the job your city officials doing? as a former resident i was shocked to see how run down it has become you could develop a wii game based on avoiding the pot holes! I almost killed my rent a car. the nicest thing about the whole town was the car wash!
The streets are hard on cars. The only thing good about potholes, it makes cars go slower by my house. There are lots of children in the neighbor. The potholes help keep them safe, when crossing the street.
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

love my grandkids wrote:
it had to be the car wash on main because the one on 287 and main never has hot water and harly ever has soap.back to the original subject.no,im not happy at all with our city or county government.people get made and accuse you of bashing on here when you say something negative but so be it.instead of patching potholes,how bout they pave at least a couple of streets around here so we are not limited to main,3rd and 287.if they do decide to pave one im sure it will be mcclelland.thats where chester lives and we do have to praise him.
Paving cost money and lots of it. We are in the same position of many many small towns, we don't have that kind of money which is why the City is applying for grants to pave. Unfortunately, we do not get to decide whether we get the grant. They are certainly getting better at grant writing as Quanah came in second in the last round of grant writing so eventually we will come in first.
MoJo

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Pride, In Quanah? Ya Right!! Look at our streets. There is not one without a pothole. This did not happen overnight. It wasn't because of the ice storm. It started several years ago when the city allowed the trucks to use our steets. The Sparkmans pushed and they won. Do they care? NO! We have no drainage on our streets. The trucks have crushed the tinhorns making their turns on our poor old narrow streets. Are they ticketed? NO! Most of them don't even register their trucks here, so they don't even pay any taxes to help with the repairs. We complain to the Danny Felty and to Tony Tallant. What a waste of time! They are masters of double talk and nothing gets done. Pride, sure, in destruction! What does it take to have something we can take pride in? Definitely not in the mess we have now.
applepie

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Mojo, I agree completely! The trucks have ruined the streets. Lots of places have signs posted that trucks are not allowed on their streets. Not US! The curbing is broken where they have run over it. The potholes are horrible where they park. Our blacktop streets can not hold up to the loads they carry and besides all that--- who can see around the darn things parked on and by Main Street. It has only been a couple of years since a small child got runover by one parked on Main Street. He was just trying to get to the carnival! Maybe Sparkman should move his business to the edge of town. What started out as a business to work on cars has now erupted to something that should not be located on our Main Street! Let's get the ordinance reinstated that keeps them off of our city streets. How do we do it?
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

applepie wrote:
Mojo, I agree completely! The trucks have ruined the streets. Lots of places have signs posted that trucks are not allowed on their streets. Not US! The curbing is broken where they have run over it. The potholes are horrible where they park. Our blacktop streets can not hold up to the loads they carry and besides all that--- who can see around the darn things parked on and by Main Street. It has only been a couple of years since a small child got runover by one parked on Main Street. He was just trying to get to the carnival! Maybe Sparkman should move his business to the edge of town. What started out as a business to work on cars has now erupted to something that should not be located on our Main Street! Let's get the ordinance reinstated that keeps them off of our city streets. How do we do it?
I do have to correct some information here. It was my 13 year old grandson who was hit by a pickup truck as he came out of the alley behind Sparkmans on the East side of hwy 6 headed towards the carnival. There was no large truck involved. He suffered severe compound fracture of his tibia, both bones and was incapicated for months and his leg never did heal properly. The view from and towards the alley was obscured from both the driver of the pickup and my grandson by a dumpster and metal debris. I believe there is a city ordinance against anything obscuring that view. Those items should be removed if still there so that this does not happen again. I believe this was brought to attention of the Police Department but probably should have addressed the city as well.
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

MoJo wrote:
Pride, In Quanah? Ya Right!! Look at our streets. There is not one without a pothole. This did not happen overnight. It wasn't because of the ice storm. It started several years ago when the city allowed the trucks to use our steets. The Sparkmans pushed and they won. Do they care? NO! We have no drainage on our streets. The trucks have crushed the tinhorns making their turns on our poor old narrow streets. Are they ticketed? NO! Most of them don't even register their trucks here, so they don't even pay any taxes to help with the repairs. We complain to the Danny Felty and to Tony Tallant. What a waste of time! They are masters of double talk and nothing gets done. Pride, sure, in destruction! What does it take to have something we can take pride in? Definitely not in the mess we have now.
Main street is a State Hwy as is 3rd street so large trucks are entitled to travel those streets and they are maintained by the state. I do agree that our other streets should be off limits to 18 wheelers as the damage they do is tremendous. Kids Connection battles to keep the street in front safe for people to park due to 18 wheeler traffic but it is not Sparkman vehicles. Off street 18 wheelers owned or driven by Truckers are the main problem. However, we need a designated place for them to park their trucks safely. They do have to have a place to park. Can the city designate a place?
Captain Howdy

Bellevue, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

MoJo wrote:
What more can we expect? When the city is ran by Beavis [Felty] and Butthead[Tallant].Both are about as bright as a Scooby Doo night light.Let us not forget the city council = a room full of idiots with a bouncey ball.I am tired of paying high taxes and only a select few benefit. I say we get rid of all of them,and start over without country club politics and nepotism.
what a deal

Quanah, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Captain Howdy wrote:
<quoted text> What more can we expect? When the city is ran by Beavis [Felty] and Butthead[Tallant].Both are about as bright as a Scooby Doo night light.Let us not forget the city council = a room full of idiots with a bouncey ball.I am tired of paying high taxes and only a select few benefit. I say we get rid of all of them,and start over without country club politics and nepotism.
what do you mean nepotism.gary newsom jr earned that job he got with the city.you dont think his daddy had anything to do with it do ya.lol
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Captain Howdy wrote:
<quoted text> What more can we expect? When the city is ran by Beavis [Felty] and Butthead[Tallant].Both are about as bright as a Scooby Doo night light.Let us not forget the city council = a room full of idiots with a bouncey ball.I am tired of paying high taxes and only a select few benefit. I say we get rid of all of them,and start over without country club politics and nepotism.
Calling people derogatory names does no one justice including those who do so. How many city council meetings have you attended. How many questions have you asked of them. Them against us is not a good strategy to improve things. Gaining an understanding of the official and required duties of the council, citizens duties, city ordinances, state requirements etc. is a beginning to understanding how to improve our town.

Since: Mar 10

Quanah Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

MoJo wrote:
There is or was a city ordinance against semis parking on city streets. But the city police are no longer here to enforce it and the sheriff dept can't enforce a city ordinance. Maybe we need they city pd back.
davy crockett

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

nlt wrote:
<quoted text>
Paving cost money and lots of it. We are in the same position of many many small towns, we don't have that kind of money which is why the City is applying for grants to pave. Unfortunately, we do not get to decide whether we get the grant. They are certainly getting better at grant writing as Quanah came in second in the last round of grant writing so eventually we will come in first.
I agree that paving costs money..."and lots of it". but do you not see where the money is WASTED in hardeman county? how many new vehicles do we need to drive around on these horrible streets....for what???? i must have gone into the wrong profession. it would be nice to have no worries considering the taxpayers would pay my bills.
davy crockett

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

one more question? why is it that quanah (who has been awarded grants in the past for "road repair") has worse streets than chillicothe (same county)?
jing a ling

Wheeler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

i love the country club! when they throw the keys in the pool!
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

davy crockett wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that paving costs money..."and lots of it". but do you not see where the money is WASTED in hardeman county? how many new vehicles do we need to drive around on these horrible streets....for what???? i must have gone into the wrong profession. it would be nice to have no worries considering the taxpayers would pay my bills.
Exactly how is it wasted? Specifics please. When I say lots of money I mean money....more than the entire city budget for a year. The county takes care of county roads, the city city streets. When the city gets in a bind they will ask the county to help for instance highway millings for our pot holes but the city is not their job.
nlt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

davy crockett wrote:
one more question? why is it that quanah (who has been awarded grants in the past for "road repair") has worse streets than chillicothe (same county)?
Again the city takes care of city streets not the county. Fortunately for Chillicothe they have a healthy volunteer and city activists and individuals that help keep their town looking better. Note the 287 park, Valley Pecans, the fire engine building....all concerned citizens trying to better their town. And yes they still have potholes but not as much traffic on their streets as quanah.
what a deal

Quanah, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

nlt wrote:
<quoted text>
Again the city takes care of city streets not the county. Fortunately for Chillicothe they have a healthy volunteer and city activists and individuals that help keep their town looking better. Note the 287 park, Valley Pecans, the fire engine building....all concerned citizens trying to better their town. And yes they still have potholes but not as much traffic on their streets as quanah.
less traffic actually mean worse streets.the volunteers arent the ones who keep their roads up.money here has been grossly wasted all through both the city and county.why does tony and danny need such a big nice truck.the situation has never arisen for them to drive those.why does mike beimer and walkup need county vehicles.at the rate we are going i have to ask.when is the librarian going to get her own retired cruiser.
make a difference

Graham, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Several years ago the city leadershipp and the city counsel tried to enforce a number of ordinances that were on record. However, those in charge had the windows broken out of their business and their dogs poisoned. Not to mention a derogatory letter "that mysteriously" ended up in the bundles of the Quanah Tribune Chief. The letters were not published as letters to the editor, they were malicious hand written letter that had been photocopied and then inserted among the newspaper bundles. As people would purchase the paper these letters would fall out. Of course no one took responsibility of it and there was no further investigation into this. I wish the farm animals in the city limits ordinance could be enforced but when that was approached in the past the director of the Meals on Wheels was telling the elderly clients that this would prohibit them from keeping their chickens etc. At that time, no one had mentioned eliminating the chickens, they just did not want cattle, horses, goats, hogs, and sheep in the city for a prolonged periood of time. I do not have a problem with students keeping their "show" animals in town as they are usually present for a short amount of time and not a large quanity of animals in a small pen. As for the trucks, they do cause wear and tear on the streets but so do the constant water leaks that are never fixed properly. There are a couple of places on Cain Street that are constantly under repair. The alleys between west third street and west fourth street are constantly dug up. So I have to say the large trucks are not entirely to blame.
Applepie

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

make a difference wrote:
Several years ago the city leadershipp and the city counsel tried to enforce a number of ordinances that were on record. However, those in charge had the windows broken out of their business and their dogs poisoned. Not to mention a derogatory letter "that mysteriously" ended up in the bundles of the Quanah Tribune Chief. The letters were not published as letters to the editor, they were malicious hand written letter that had been photocopied and then inserted among the newspaper bundles. As people would purchase the paper these letters would fall out. Of course no one took responsibility of it and there was no further investigation into this. I wish the farm animals in the city limits ordinance could be enforced but when that was approached in the past the director of the Meals on Wheels was telling the elderly clients that this would prohibit them from keeping their chickens etc. At that time, no one had mentioned eliminating the chickens, they just did not want cattle, horses, goats, hogs, and sheep in the city for a prolonged periood of time. I do not have a problem with students keeping their "show" animals in town as they are usually present for a short amount of time and not a large quanity of animals in a small pen. As for the trucks, they do cause wear and tear on the streets but so do the constant water leaks that are never fixed properly. There are a couple of places on Cain Street that are constantly under repair. The alleys between west third street and west fourth street are constantly dug up. So I have to say the large trucks are not entirely to blame.
Yes, I remember that or some of it. Everyone was scared to enforce the ordinances and our city administrator thought we were the craziest people on earth. He left!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 54
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Quanah Discussions

Search the Quanah Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 min nina roth 17,001
quanah jail 2 hr Taxed Payer 14
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 2 hr nina roth 21,377
Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 7 hr Defiant1 751
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) 8 hr Larry Grover 591
dr lane (Nov '13) Mon nurse 70
illegal aliens Jul 20 30 years back 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Quanah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Quanah People Search