Door to door Solicitation

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

Lola

Hatfield, PA

#1 Mar 3, 2011
Does anyone else cringe when they realize there is a solicitor knocking at their door? In all honesty, I hate them. I know "hate" is a strong word, but I do. I even invested in a small sticker that say "no soliciting" on my front door. That hasn't stopped them. Earlier today while my child was sleeping I heard extremely loud knocking. I went downstairs to see who it was and it was the Mormons....AGAIN! They were just at my house a few weeks ago. They knock so loud you would think there was an emergency somewhere. I hate all solicitors, but the Mormons get under my skin.
Walnut Bank resident

Hillside, NJ

#2 Mar 3, 2011
Lola wrote:
Does anyone else cringe when they realize there is a solicitor knocking at their door? In all honesty, I hate them. I know "hate" is a strong word, but I do. I even invested in a small sticker that say "no soliciting" on my front door. That hasn't stopped them. Earlier today while my child was sleeping I heard extremely loud knocking. I went downstairs to see who it was and it was the Mormons....AGAIN! They were just at my house a few weeks ago. They knock so loud you would think there was an emergency somewhere. I hate all solicitors, but the Mormons get under my skin.
Having big signs stating No Soliciting doesn't work either. I don't think people care. I get a lot of college age kids selling stuff so they can win a trip here or there. The first year I tried to be nice and bought two magazine subscriptions. Not discounted at all. When they finally started to arrive only one was what I had ordered.

Now I just tell them that there's no soliciting. As I get older, I am getting less tolerant.
dontgetit

Quakertown, PA

#3 Mar 3, 2011
Lola wrote:
Why would morons be soliciting? Is there an organization just for morons? Who would join such a group, I mean you would have to admit to being a moron wouldn't you? Maybe the reason they ignore the no soliciting signs is they can't read. I don't get it. I never heard of such a thing.
Darwin

Quakertown, PA

#4 Mar 3, 2011
Jehovah witness do it too,it's ridiculous.I mean who would not want to celebrate birthdays & not give a dying child blood. I just dont answer anymore but I would like to set my dog on them.
Witness

Quakertown, PA

#5 Mar 4, 2011
Darwin wrote:
Jehovah witness do it too,it's ridiculous.I mean who would not want to celebrate birthdays & not give a dying child blood. I just dont answer anymore but I would like to set my dog on them.
True.
resident

Quakertown, PA

#6 Mar 4, 2011
If you live in Richland, ask them if they have a permit from the township. That usually sends them packing.

I also have a no soliciting sign at my door. All I say is "talk to the sign" and close the door.
really

Quakertown, PA

#7 Mar 4, 2011
Religious groups and politicians are exempt from the solicitation ordinance's.

I usually just tell them to go away and close the door their face, they usually get the hint.
Joe

Quakertown, PA

#8 Mar 4, 2011
really wrote:
Religious groups and politicians are exempt from the solicitation ordinance's.
I usually just tell them to go away and close the door their face, they usually get the hint.
I don't really talk with the religious groups. I'm polite, but tell I'm happy with my Catholic faith.

I'm a friendly guy and enjoy talking with candidates - no matter what party they belong to. I look at it this way. They were kind enough to visit me and share their views with me. That's good for Democracy.
Rutgers89

Quakertown, PA

#9 Mar 6, 2011
resident wrote:
If you live in Richland, ask them if they have a permit from the township. That usually sends them packing.
I also have a no soliciting sign at my door. All I say is "talk to the sign" and close the door.
Most of the solictors are dropped off in vans and run rampant through a neighborhood, they are fast talking and very persuasive, say no they are all scams. So is the guy selling Texas magic cleaning products. Call the police when you see the van, they have all been arrested at some time or another the permit they have is so beatup it's not new.

I have a better sign, DO NOT RING BELL,sick household
Betts

Quakertown, PA

#10 Mar 6, 2011
Lola wrote:
We live in a tight neighborhood, so the 1st one hit calls the other end of the street and everyone calls the next one to the middle so we just don't answer the door.
smiley

Tamaqua, PA

#11 Mar 6, 2011
http://www.fuller.com/About.asp

Door to Door sales, cold calling was once As American as Apple Pie....
smiley

Tamaqua, PA

#12 Mar 6, 2011
I remember back in the early 60's a door to door saleman came to our home trying to sell 'plastic shoes" and dresses from a fiber made from "paper".

Plastic shoes! Why he must be some sort of nut. Who would ever wear such a shoe...

Tah dah....
McManus

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#13 Mar 6, 2011
Lola wrote:
That one night it was "thunder snowing" and hailing/sleeting about a month ago with the ton of snow, I was walking my dog at like 9 p.m. I ran into 2 cute Mormons and they walked home with me they were real nice, but wanted to come back and "share thier faith" and all. I give then props for cruisin around in a snow storm, but I usually hide if they come to the door. Has anyone else had 2 guys come to your door and offer to clean your carpets lately? I didn't let them in and this shady looking van was circling the block checking up on them.
MilfordMan

Egg Harbor City, NJ

#14 Mar 6, 2011
I had a guy come to my door telling me he was laid off and asking for money. He said he lived in the neighborhood, but I doubt it. What really freaked me out is my house sits 300 feet off the road in a pretty rural area. I told him I couldn't give him any money and it was a very bad idea to go door-to-door asking for it. And yes, I was armed.
dontgetit

Quakertown, PA

#15 Mar 6, 2011
dontgetit wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would morons be soliciting? Is there an organization just for morons? Who would join such a group, I mean you would have to admit to being a moron wouldn't you? Maybe the reason they ignore the no soliciting signs is they can't read. I don't get it. I never heard of such a thing.
Oh MORMONS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elaine Powers Figure Salon... (Sep '12) 14 hr Janeelanee 6
Staats - Chellew Debate Oct. 20, 7pm Qtown Mich... Wed Question 101
Casey's Bakery Dec 23 BGG22 2
Giant supermarket self checkout? (Jan '14) Dec 22 LGK 30
Downtown Dogs Dec 22 stardog1960 14
A Plus Family Dental Dec 22 Stardog 1960 22
Manhunt Underway for Suspect in Pennsylvania Sh... Dec 20 Ho J Simpson 7

Quakertown News Video

Quakertown Dating
Find my Match