First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#21 Aug 28, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
what if one of the staff was a neo-nazi and thought it would be a good idea?
that would be highly unlikely as i am sure the staff wants what is best for the kids.
legally there would be no difference between a story promoting that,
and a story about a bear.
if access is opened to one it is opened to all.
so unfortunately it is easier for no one having access to avoid litigation.
Ahh yes dumbar the legal expert.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#22 Aug 28, 2012
Jersey Duke wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh yes dumbar the legal expert.
ahh
the birther comes out of it's bunker again.
Haha

Newtown Square, PA

#23 Aug 28, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
what if one of the staff was a neo-nazi and thought it would be a good idea?
that would be highly unlikely as i am sure the staff wants what is best for the kids.
legally there would be no difference between a story promoting that,
and a story about a bear.
if access is opened to one it is opened to all.
so unfortunately it is easier for no one having access to avoid litigation.
Yeah, one of the sweet blue haired old ladies walks around wearing a brown shirt, a swastika, and goose steps on the weekends while singing the praises for der Fuhrer?

Do you realize how STUPID you sound!?

We're talking about reading to little kids, so Nazi propaganda wouldn't be age appropriate, just as if someone wanted to sit and talk about sex education to 5 year olds--it's not age appropriate.

Liberal retard.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#24 Aug 28, 2012
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, one of the sweet blue haired old ladies walks around wearing a brown shirt, a swastika, and goose steps on the weekends while singing the praises for der Fuhrer?
Do you realize how STUPID you sound!?
We're talking about reading to little kids, so Nazi propaganda wouldn't be age appropriate, just as if someone wanted to sit and talk about sex education to 5 year olds--it's not age appropriate.
Liberal retard.
so lets see
this lady shows up and has a book to read for the kids.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/02/internation...

sweet older lady who wants to read a story about rabbits but some of those rabbits are not true rabbits.
i gave an extreme example.
a point you missed by a country mile.
the fear of litigation can be a big problem with having outside people coming in.
while your at it you could have litigation over whether any story is age appropriate.
or a lawsuit on the content of the stories if you want to go down that road.
it is a minefield that is better avoided.
Meh

Quakertown, PA

#25 Aug 28, 2012
Authors charge fees to do presentations/readings. It's a source of income. The aforementioned author Kay Winters says right on her web site she charges $700 for a half day and up. I would prefer the library spend that money on books, technology or programs (of which there are quite a few).

I think the Quakertown branch does a wonderful job with the limited resources they have. If you know an author who will speak for free, contact the library directly and they would probably be delighted to host.
Haha

Newtown Square, PA

#26 Aug 28, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
so lets see
this lady shows up and has a book to read for the kids.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/02/internation...
sweet older lady who wants to read a story about rabbits but some of those rabbits are not true rabbits.
i gave an extreme example.
a point you missed by a country mile.
the fear of litigation can be a big problem with having outside people coming in.
while your at it you could have litigation over whether any story is age appropriate.
or a lawsuit on the content of the stories if you want to go down that road.
it is a minefield that is better avoided.
How far can you stretch your wacky story? That lady died 13 years ago...and do you really believe she'd show up at our library to read to kids.

You've got serious issues, pal.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#27 Aug 28, 2012
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>
How far can you stretch your wacky story? That lady died 13 years ago...and do you really believe she'd show up at our library to read to kids.
You've got serious issues, pal.
again you miss the point.
so try a another book.
the woman who wrote it is 57.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Has_Two_...

"Heather Has Two Mommies is a children's book written by Lesléa Newman with Diana Souza's illustrations, first published in 1989. Google Books describes it as "the first lesbian-themed children's book ever published"

yah think that there would be some people upset about it and filing lawsuits?
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#28 Aug 28, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
so try a another book.
"Heather Has Two Mommies is a children's book written by Lesléa Newman with Diana Souza's illustrations, first published in 1989. Google Books describes it as "the first lesbian-themed children's book ever published"
I understand your point and it's a sad confirmation of the decline of our society and culture. Our nation has become so litigious, that what used to be considered an act of kindness or charity can now be misconstrued and turned into a lawsuit.

One of my talents is storytelling and I've always loved entertaining and educating children (for 37 years) and doing it for the love of sharing and not for money. Because of all the bad things that happen to kids, fear has so overwhelmed the public that having a story time - in a public place - cannot happen any longer for fear that someone will get upset and bad things will occur.

I always welcomed people of any age to listen, especially because I'm a parent myself and know the anxiety of leaving your children with ANYONE. A lot of parents seem to look for ways to get away from their children for a few hours which is sad. There's nothing like hearing a good story, told live, by an enthusiastic teller. Harkens back to the "sitting around the campfire days."

It is better to live in love than in fear. Share a smile with the people you encounter every day. Continue to do good kind things wherever God leads you. Do not fear what may happen, just do what you know God wants you to do. If we all walk around in fear all the time, the bad guys win.
Thoughts

Springfield, NJ

#29 Aug 28, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
so try a another book.
To debunk your lawsuit theory, the library is a private entity and can censor what it deems unfit.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#30 Aug 28, 2012
Thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
To debunk your lawsuit theory, the library is a private entity and can censor what it deems unfit.
http://www.buckslib.org/about/

"The county system was founded in 1956 by a resolution of the Bucks County Board of Commissioners. An independent board of directors is accountable to the Commissioners for oversight. The majority of funding, more than 50%, is from General Fund tax dollars. Other funding includes state library aid, fines and fees, donations and endowments, and grants. The library system's annual budget ranges from about $10-12 million."
Ugly Art

Levittown, PA

#31 Aug 28, 2012
Joe wrote:
I have to disagree. The Bucks County Library System is top notch. The latest fiction and non-fiction books are always available within the system. The local Quakertown branch is s great facility and the staff are quite helpful. The system is meant to serve all residents and I don't wish to see any branch turned into a children's day-care center. And why should any branch accept artwork just because the artist happens to be local?
Agree,not all art is pretty !
the higher road

Broomall, PA

#32 Aug 29, 2012
Back when the library was on California Rd., I took my young sons to many activities at the library. They had wonderful summer programs where they read books, made crafts, had storytellers (which the parents enjoyed just as much as the kids), a photographer came in and taught the children photo basics, an origami artist came in and showed them how to do origami. Wonderful!

I read to my sons every night and when they started reading on their own, they read to me. They are adults now and still love reading. I think, if the parents love reading with their children, the children become avid readers too.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#33 Aug 29, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
so try a another book.
Yes, here we have the legal expert and his primary source Wikipedia.
Nothing but the best!
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#34 Aug 29, 2012
Jersey Duke wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, here we have the legal expert and his primary source Wikipedia.
Nothing but the best!
and a birther that adds nothing to the discourse chimes in.
Unknown

Darby, PA

#35 Aug 29, 2012
Well you cannot complain to much about quakertown library you come up to allentown you will see a hell hole of a library from possibly bed bugs to homeless all over the place to mothers letting there little 2 year old scream for an hour at the top of there lungs there is so much to do in quakertown for the teenagers and young adults they just need to stop being such a couch potato.

heck I lived there almost the first 22 years of my life

Some of you would remember the old quakertown library it was at the richlandtown police department building this new building and the stuff they offer there is a godsend.
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#36 Aug 29, 2012
Even the old library on California Road was nicer than most.

The best thing about Quakertown library are the friendly librarians - Katrina, Michelle, Eric and the two young ladies with beautiful smiles and helpful attitudes.
Val

Quakertown, PA

#37 Aug 30, 2012
I understand that many authors charge visit fees, but most people who work in the book industry know that the fee an author charges on their website is flexible... many will waive them or work with a worthy organization (especially one from their own community!) to make the event mutually beneficial for all.

I am an author with books from a major publisher who grew up in Quakertown. I have offered to come in and read my picture books (not at all controversial)for free, as it benefits the community, but my calls and emails were not returned. I'm not sure why it wouldn't appeal to them, but come to think of it, I haven't seen or heard of ANY authors appearing at the library. It makes me think that they are not welcome.
syxxy

Broomall, PA

#39 Aug 30, 2012
Are there any men working at the library?
Ewww

Darby, PA

#40 Sep 4, 2012
I love the library, but I'm tired of the teen couple who use it as their makeout area. I complained today and the manager went out but of course, as soon as he went back in they were at it again. Ugh!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Qtown School Board 4 hr What a World 29
Outrageous Prices for a haircut in Qtown Mon Anonymous 5
Poll How many women go braless ? NO MEN and Ladies b... (Mar '10) Jul 24 me 96
Clowns running Richland Township Jul 23 Studdering tim 9
fat people shouldn't wear skinny people clothes (May '10) Jul 22 longtime resident 83
News Jonathan King of Quakertown Turns Himself In On... (Mar '09) Jul 17 white trash bags 22
Another Drug Addict!!!! (Jul '11) Jul 14 Free from q-towm 67

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages