Why are home prices crashing in Quakertown?

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 50 of50
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Huh

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

bethwhistler wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is not Amy.
Part of my heritage is Native American and I would not lie about this having been called the Great Swamp. There's even a club over on
Here is one link, among several:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....
Of course Qtown is the Great Swamp...just look at the names of the 3 main Mennonite churches in the area: East Swamp, West Swamp, and Great Swamp MC.

This area was settled by Quakers, giving the name to the town.

The areas that have flooding issues are the low lying areas around here. The majority of the area is fine, but East Broad, Broad & 4th, Mill & 9th, E. Pumping Station, Raub, Apple, Union, Erie, and Thatcher Rds are just some of the roadways that flood; either because they are low or they are next to streams that swell during heavy rain. It's ALWAYS been that way.
me again

Lansdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

bethwhistler wrote:
There will always be unkind people who judge incorrectly. For instance, people see a handicapped person who limps and label them a "drunk." The judgmental jerks are the truly handicapped people.
I like this lady.
bethwhistler

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I am a lady - lol!

Here is a link to conservancy website which has an excellent map of the "swamp" areas, surrounding creeks, etc.

http://www.heritageconservancy.org/lasting-la...

The entire Milford/Quakertown/Richland area is on a type of "impermeable igneous intrusions into older sedimentary sandstone, forming a surface water table." This interferes with normal water percolation.

The impact of this varies depending on the topography of the land. In the flatter more level land areas, it makes sense that it will be more prone to flooding.

I'm pretty sure the property where the high school was built on Park Avenue was pretty swampy before they filled it in to build the high school.

Also, the new development back behind Cedar Grove Estates ("Grundyville" as the teens call it) was all swampy and they spent months clearing the land, putting in piles of fill, and creating a drainage system through the place to direct the water to a stream.

I think southeastern PA has lots of areas that tend to flood because of all the creeks draining into the Delaware River.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

bethwhistler wrote:
Yes, I am a lady - lol!
Here is a link to conservancy website which has an excellent map of the "swamp" areas, surrounding creeks, etc.
http://www.heritageconservancy.org/lasting-la...
The entire Milford/Quakertown/Richland area is on a type of "impermeable igneous intrusions into older sedimentary sandstone, forming a surface water table." This interferes with normal water percolation.
The impact of this varies depending on the topography of the land. In the flatter more level land areas, it makes sense that it will be more prone to flooding.
I'm pretty sure the property where the high school was built on Park Avenue was pretty swampy before they filled it in to build the high school.
Also, the new development back behind Cedar Grove Estates ("Grundyville" as the teens call it) was all swampy and they spent months clearing the land, putting in piles of fill, and creating a drainage system through the place to direct the water to a stream.
I think southeastern PA has lots of areas that tend to flood because of all the creeks draining into the Delaware River.
The soccer fields behind the HS were raised several feet with fill, including a former restaurant on 309 called Ken's Chicken Den, and loads of old lockers and desks! I was told this years ago by Mary Steckel who was a biology teacher, then assistant principal of the HS.

The old section of Beaver Run Village on Station Rd is built on landfill as well. That entire section on both sides of the creek used to flood out, but because this was built up, it now goes into the borough all the way over to 2nd St. Even Park Manor Apts floods!
Lehigh County Resident

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Lehigh County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>This is a great question.
East (Central Bucks SD houses are more expensive)
West (Upper Perk SD houses are more expensive)
North (Southern Lehigh & Palisades SD houses are more expensive)
South (Pennridge/Souderton SD houses are more expensive)
Who in the Quakertown/Richland/Milford areas can answer this?
Anyone have any ideas on this post? Why is Quakertown the cheapest place to live?
Troll Patrol

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Anyone have any ideas on this post? Why is Quakertown the cheapest place to live?
Why the hell do you care anyway? You moved away from here!

Go troll on your new hometown's topix board.
Suggestion

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Call a local realtor--Coldwell Banker, ReMax 440, Century 21. They could tell you.

I think if you look at home pricing trends, even if those other areas are priced higher than Quakertown, they are still far lower than they were a few years back. This isn't localized to one area; it's nationwide.

However, for a first time buyer or investor, there is no better time to buy a home than right now!
Location Location

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Southern Lehigh is much closer to NYC, thus many people live in that area an commute to Newark or NYC.
Doylestown and southern Bucks is closer to Philly and there is direct train access to NYC and Northern New Jersey.
Perkasie has a stronger school district.
Our house in downtown Q-town sold after the first showing at a decent price.$50K less than it's peak, but still a fair price. We purchased a home in Telford in the $300 range, and it was very comparable to houses in the Quakertown/Coopersburg area. We wanted more of a country setting, so we went with Telford. Homes do sell, quite frequently, in Quakertown. Houses in developments are over saturated, so those may languish a bit.
I think Quakertown was a great place to live for 10 years. We never had issues with crime, drugs or anything really. We just wanted a larger house. I would live in Q-town again with no problems.
Here is the reason

Perkasie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

We moved here in 2005, Quakertown seemed to have so much potential & our children were doing well in QCSD.Then the half-way houses & drug rehabs started to pop up bringing unsavory characters to our little town(now they sell drugs to our kids).At around the same time the school district went down hill & lost the respect of the community. The most important thing to us & most families when we were house hunting was the quality of the school district.I wish we could move now ,but due to the economy we will have to wait it out.
That will cause it

Lansdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2012

Judged:

Then the half-way houses & drug rehabs started to pop up bringing unsavory characters to our little town
This is exactly what destroyed huge sections of Philly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 50 of50
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Quakertown Forum right now

Search the Quakertown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 11 min Larry 51,290
Michael Hsu of Richlandtown, Richland Township 7 hr Hmmm 13
Review: Milford Veterinary Clinic - Kathy L Jam... (Sep '09) 18 hr T Nyce 275
Bread Fri Yep You Know It 6
Quakertown schools at impasse on new chief Fri Tired of it all 60
It's so expensive to live life these days!! (Sep '12) Thu TerryE 89
Where's George from the Post Office? (Aug '13) Thu general grant 121
•••
•••

Quakertown News Video

•••
Quakertown Dating

more search filters