be released, he was expressing himself

sue the US gov't, he's got rights

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 16, 2012
Did Hillary absolve the film maker when she stated in her speech that our country has freedom of expression which others may not understand?
Should he go to jail? We burn our flag so should he go to jail for insulting other religions or nations? We even allow the Virign Mary made out of dung to be an exhibit at the Met, even Hillary went to that one? Koran burning in FL? We even mistreat our own service men if they are gay by "expressing" ourselves at their funerals?
What do you think?
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#2 Sep 16, 2012
QuiteCrazy wrote:
Did Hillary absolve the film maker when she stated in her speech that our country has freedom of expression which others may not understand?
Should he go to jail? We burn our flag so should he go to jail for insulting other religions or nations? We even allow the Virign Mary made out of dung to be an exhibit at the Met, even Hillary went to that one? Koran burning in FL? We even mistreat our own service men if they are gay by "expressing" ourselves at their funerals?
What do you think?
If it's purely a freedom of speech issue, he is protected by the Constitution and will not go to jail, there must be some other charge they are trying to get him on. The whole production was kind of shady.

How come some of the Muslim countries can teach their children to hate all religions except Islam without a formal rebuke from this administration? I am sure there are plenty of anti-Christian and anti-Jewish videos as hateful as this one or worse. Extremists have decapitated and killed many in the name of "Allah". Where is the outrage for that? What the Hell are WE apologizing for?
First Amedment

Newtown Square, PA

#3 Sep 16, 2012
Free speech is guaranteed, but you can't yell "fire" in the movie theater.

This is the same as yelling "fire" in my opinion.

What was this moron thinking?
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#4 Sep 17, 2012
First Amedment wrote:
No, this was not the same thing. Yelling "Fire!" in a movie theatre is not a political statement; it's risking a catastrophe by falsely putting people in fear for their lives. Not saying the guy isn't a moron, but even morons are entitled to their First Amendment rights - especially with people who have no compunction about demonizing other religions, including killing those who convert. The day we relinquish our Constitutional freedoms to terrorists, extremists, or the U.N., that's the day it's over for the U.S. Our govt leaders should be out front protecting our Constitution. That's an oath every one of them was sworn to uphold.
First Amendment

Newtown Square, PA

#5 Sep 17, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
No, this was not the same thing. Yelling "Fire!" in a movie theatre is not a political statement; it's risking a catastrophe by falsely putting people in fear for their lives. Not saying the guy isn't a moron, but even morons are entitled to their First Amendment rights - especially with people who have no compunction about demonizing other religions, including killing those who convert. The day we relinquish our Constitutional freedoms to terrorists, extremists, or the U.N., that's the day it's over for the U.S. Our govt leaders should be out front protecting our Constitution. That's an oath every one of them was sworn to uphold.
I understand your position, but anyone with half a brain who pays attention to what's going on over there knows they will use anything to start an attack. And putting out this video IS risking catastrophe!

This guy is the same as Terry Jones; they both know the ramifications of such actions, which means Americans abroad, especially in these Muslim countries, become fast and easy targets of rage.

It's disgusting, but it's true.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#6 Sep 17, 2012
First Amendment wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your position, but anyone with half a brain who pays attention to what's going on over there knows they will use anything to start an attack. And putting out this video IS risking catastrophe!
This guy is the same as Terry Jones; they both know the ramifications of such actions, which means Americans abroad, especially in these Muslim countries, become fast and easy targets of rage.
It's disgusting, but it's true.
I don't disagree. However, we can't and shouldn't prevent people from making political statements. Even the wacky Westboro Baptist Church people who picket at soldiers' funerals can do it. It's the price we pay as a free nation.

As an example, suppose an abortion rights group made a video about how abortion improves women's lives and aids in population control. A religious extremist group, say the people who believe abortion is murder and abortion doctors should be killed, vows to cause murder and mayhem at abortion clinics across the country as long as the video appears on You Tube. Should the Pro-Choice group be forced to withdraw the video for fear of predictable violence?

I submit that it's a slippery slope that the U.S. cannot go down. Google and You Tube apparently agree. Terrorists cannot be allowed to corrupt our rights under the Constitution. If any foreign govt refuses to recognize this basic part of being an American, we should cut off all foreign aid, remove our diplomats, and leave them to their barbaric ways. Then, if we're attacked in any way traceable back to their govt, we "shock-and-awe" them back to the middle ages where they belong. No apologies. You know what, I think we'll see a dramatic reduction in terrorist activities directed against U.S. interests.
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#7 Sep 17, 2012
What is this video that is enraging Muslims? It can't be that asinine thing on YouTube that's had over 3 million hits, can it?
Nope

Newtown Square, PA

#8 Sep 17, 2012
bethwhistler wrote:
What is this video that is enraging Muslims? It can't be that asinine thing on YouTube that's had over 3 million hits, can it?
That's the one!

Vut is you even say the prophet's name wrong, these wackos will call for jihad.

They want jihad,, start with nuking Mecca, Medina, and every capital city that has these uprisings.

They want war, we'll shove it right up their behinds while their butts are in the air during midday prayer.
Nope

Newtown Square, PA

#9 Sep 17, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree. However, we can't and shouldn't prevent people from making political statements. Even the wacky Westboro Baptist Church people who picket at soldiers' funerals can do it. It's the price we pay as a free nation.
As an example, suppose an abortion rights group made a video about how abortion improves women's lives and aids in population control. A religious extremist group, say the people who believe abortion is murder and abortion doctors should be killed, vows to cause murder and mayhem at abortion clinics across the country as long as the video appears on You Tube. Should the Pro-Choice group be forced to withdraw the video for fear of predictable violence?
I submit that it's a slippery slope that the U.S. cannot go down. Google and You Tube apparently agree. Terrorists cannot be allowed to corrupt our rights under the Constitution. If any foreign govt refuses to recognize this basic part of being an American, we should cut off all foreign aid, remove our diplomats, and leave them to their barbaric ways. Then, if we're attacked in any way traceable back to their govt, we "shock-and-awe" them back to the middle ages where they belong. No apologies. You know what, I think we'll see a dramatic reduction in terrorist activities directed against U.S. interests.
Why the hell should we alter OUR laws to suit some primitive towel head wearing a Victorian era knightgown and sandals? Stupid primitive bastards.
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#10 Sep 17, 2012
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the one!
Vut is you even say the prophet's name wrong, these wackos will call for jihad.
They want jihad,, start with nuking Mecca, Medina, and every capital city that has these uprisings.
They want war, we'll shove it right up their behinds while their butts are in the air during midday prayer.
You're not one of the guys that made the video are you? I could only watch about 20 seconds (if that), and closed it down. It was just too inane. The Holy Bible says, in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things."

Spreading hate is not from God.
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#11 Sep 17, 2012
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>Why the hell should we alter OUR laws to suit some primitive towel head wearing a Victorian era knightgown and sandals? Stupid primitive bastards.
Remember Salamon Rushdie and the Norwegian cartoonist who had Jihad declared against them for insulting "the prophet"? There's a movie coming out about the killing of Bin Laden - should we tuck our tails between our legs and ask the distributor not to release it?

You cannot appease these animals, and certainly not by weakening a basic pillar of our society. Where are the Hollywood Liberals on this? Where are the Artists Guild and the National Endowment for the Arts? Why is dung on the Virgin Mary okay, but a hate film about Muslims is out of bounds?
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#12 Sep 17, 2012
bethwhistler wrote:
<quoted text>You're not one of the guys that made the video are you? I could only watch about 20 seconds (if that), and closed it down. It was just too inane. The Holy Bible says, in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things."

Spreading hate is not from God.
Nobody is saying hate is good, coming from either side. I haven't seen the clip, and I don't need to. The govt cannot and should not restrict freedom of speech. It's spelled out clearly as an enumerated right - even for stupid people. If these extremists make us change who we are because of fear, they win.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 Sep 18, 2012
It is a terrible situation to say the least when citzens cannot appreciate the freedoms that they are granted under this government. It is shameful when such freedoms are squandered or used in a fashion which not only endangers Americans aboard but places American's in danger at home as well. But fear is something that has never existed in the American dream or heart. This country was founded and created by brave men and women whether they were brought here without want or desire, by courageous men and women with dreams that sold themselves into servitude, by iron-willed men and women that wanted nothing more but freedom of religion, by simple men and women that wanted freedom from tyranny, by dream-filled men and women who's drive was greater than any obstacle that they could challenge them. Some would call it desperation but I've never known more strength and more breath of life than that one that I'd believe to be my last.
Americans are not afraid of what is happening they are doing what American's do best, preparing for victory. Regardless of what war, when, that is a tradition in this country, to win, they eat drink sleep victory even in the face of defeat still, invictus.
Bluntforce

Akron, OH

#14 Sep 18, 2012
First Amedment wrote:
Who decides that this so called movie was the same as yelling "fire" in a theater? You? Me? The government? Sharia law? You are standing on a slippery slope my friend.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#15 Sep 18, 2012
Bluntforce wrote:
<quoted text>Who decides that this so called movie was the same as yelling "fire" in a theater? You? Me? The government? Sharia law? You are standing on a slippery slope my friend.
the "sheep" have been dropping off the "slope" for decades.
The gov tells them its the law, and they fail to question it.
Nope

Newtown Square, PA

#16 Sep 18, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Salamon Rushdie and the Norwegian cartoonist who had Jihad declared against them for insulting "the prophet"? There's a movie coming out about the killing of Bin Laden - should we tuck our tails between our legs and ask the distributor not to release it?
You cannot appease these animals, and certainly not by weakening a basic pillar of our society. Where are the Hollywood Liberals on this? Where are the Artists Guild and the National Endowment for the Arts? Why is dung on the Virgin Mary okay, but a hate film about Muslims is out of bounds?
It's the hypocrisy of the left. Cut and dried.
queenie

Newtown Square, PA

#17 Sep 18, 2012
The filmmaker should go to jail. he violated his probation.
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#18 Sep 18, 2012
queenie wrote:
Apples and oranges.
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#19 Sep 18, 2012
queenie wrote:
If it's the film I viewed about 20 seconds of, he should go back and finish kindergarten. They looked like a bunch of kindergarten drop-outs dressed up in bad Halloween costumes trying to put on an amateur show. Really bad.

I don't understand, if this is the film they're all worked up about in the Middle East, why the extreme Muslims would get outraged? Can't they see what imbeciles were involved in this production and laugh it off as a bunch of idiots with a video camera? Strange all around...
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#20 Sep 18, 2012
bethwhistler wrote:
<quoted text>If it's the film I viewed about 20 seconds of, he should go back and finish kindergarten. They looked like a bunch of kindergarten drop-outs dressed up in bad Halloween costumes trying to put on an amateur show. Really bad.

I don't understand, if this is the film they're all worked up about in the Middle East, why the extreme Muslims would get outraged? Can't they see what imbeciles were involved in this production and laugh it off as a bunch of idiots with a video camera? Strange all around...
Most never saw it, and don't understand English. They're being incited to riot by their religious leaders and mob mentality. They're also not too bright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's Waldow? 5 hr Smiley 2
Richland Township Water Authority letter 11 hr Trey Gowdy 6
Paul Stepanoff Needs to be Removed NOW! (Jul '14) 21 hr RTBOS RTPD suck 161
Elaine Powers Figure Salon... (Sep '12) Tue LOL 13
Trash Tue Gonz 3
Poll What is the best pizza in Quakertown? (Mar '09) May 18 Daverr 65
News Quakertown amphitheater to offer Blood, Sweat &... May 18 Qtown Brown 4

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance