Rules on building near property line

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

Resident

Hatfield, PA

#1 Mar 4, 2011
Anyone know the rules for building a structure near your property line? Typically you have to be X amount of feet away from the property line. What about in a place like Cedar Grove Estates where the properties are right along each other?
Just The Truth

Hatfield, PA

#2 Mar 5, 2011
You need to ask the borough. If you're planning something and don't want them to know, just get a copy of the zoning ordinance. If your neighbor built something and you're questioning the distance, go to the borough and ask. If they had a building permit, the borough should have checked the location.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2011
There is usually a setback requirement. As was said, check the ordinance, are you in Qtown, Rtown, or Rtown borough?
Just The Truth

Hatfield, PA

#4 Mar 5, 2011
Vain HK wrote:
There is usually a setback requirement. As was said, check the ordinance, are you in Qtown, Rtown, or Rtown borough?
Cedar Grove Estates is the development of twin homes around Brithwaite, Pennington, etc. That's Quakertown Boro. They have a pretty lenient building code. The homes are already about 15 ft. apart.
Live in Boro

Quakertown, PA

#5 Mar 5, 2011
The building code in the Boro depends on who you are and how much money they can suck out of you. Just do what you want let them find you. They make enough money for doing nothing on the stupid rental inspection.
Just The Truth

Hatfield, PA

#6 Mar 5, 2011
Live in Boro wrote:
The building code in the Boro depends on who you are and how much money they can suck out of you. Just do what you want let them find you. They make enough money for doing nothing on the stupid rental inspection.
What would you advise if their next door neighbor built something right up to the property line?
Duh

Quakertown, PA

#7 Mar 5, 2011
Live in Boro wrote:
You're an idiot. The inspection fee pays for the cost to do the inspection. It's illegal for the Boro to make a penny off the inspections. Besides...if we had good landlords in this town we wouldn't need a rental inspection program.
Renter

Quakertown, PA

#8 Mar 5, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. The inspection fee pays for the cost to do the inspection. It's illegal for the Boro to make a penny off the inspections. Besides...if we had good landlords in this town we wouldn't need a rental inspection program.
Wow $40. for a 10 min. inspection. I want that job. And my landlord is the best so you are the idiot.
Duh

Quakertown, PA

#9 Mar 5, 2011
Renter wrote:
<quoted text>Wow $40. for a 10 min. inspection. I want that job. And my landlord is the best so you are the idiot.
Well consider yourself lucky you have one of the good ones. A lot of them aren't.
Miller

Hatfield, PA

#10 Mar 5, 2011
Answer is check with the Code Enforcement Officer. The building setback requirements are located in the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances. There are usually different requirements for Dwellings as opposed to sheds, detached garages, etc.
Renter

Quakertown, PA

#11 Mar 5, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well consider yourself lucky you have one of the good ones. A lot of them aren't.
I am lucky and you shouldn't characterize all landlords as being bad. Some actually have pride in their investments.
Resident

Quakertown, PA

#12 Mar 5, 2011
Renter wrote:
<quoted text>I am lucky and you shouldn't characterize all landlords as being bad. Some actually have pride in their investments.
It's the bad ones that caused the Rental Inspections...not the good ones.
Qtown Transplant

Hillside, NJ

#13 Mar 5, 2011
Way too many rental properties in this town. Quakertown is going to end up like Allentown. The borough is already giving a break to these slum lords. Why do you think your electric bill is so high? They jacked the electric rate up so real estate taxs won't go up. Land lords make more money, their property values stay up, and the poor renters pay the high electric bills. That is if the renters pay their own electric. Since most of the apartments around are HUD, then the average working guys taxs are paying that for them too. Sounds like the slum lords have a win-win situation here in Quakertown
TooExpensive

Quakertown, PA

#14 Mar 6, 2011
Just The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>What would you advise if their next door neighbor built something right up to the property line?
A fence is within 2 to 3 feet of the property line on your neighbors side. If he put a shed up on the fence line then he is okay since he is already 2 foot in from his actual line. However, you can't butt to his fence, you have to give off your 2 to3 feet. so there should be something like 6 feet between your line and his that is given up . Get surveyed, not too costly and it lasts for years. So even if this guy moves you are covered.

Don't laugh someone practically built a doublewide between my house and theirs and they are oaky with the borough, go figure, I'm planting fast growing bushes this season. Be advised the area is very inlaw suite forgiving.
Just The Truth

Hatfield, PA

#15 Mar 10, 2011
TooExpensive wrote:
<quoted text>
A fence is within 2 to 3 feet of the property line on your neighbors side. If he put a shed up on the fence line then he is okay since he is already 2 foot in from his actual line. However, you can't butt to his fence, you have to give off your 2 to3 feet. so there should be something like 6 feet between your line and his that is given up . Get surveyed, not too costly and it lasts for years. So even if this guy moves you are covered.
Don't laugh someone practically built a doublewide between my house and theirs and they are oaky with the borough, go figure, I'm planting fast growing bushes this season. Be advised the area is very inlaw suite forgiving.
Most ordinances have different setback requirements for a fence vs. a structure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Casey's Bakery 2 hr Curious 3
Elaine Powers Figure Salon... (Sep '12) Thu Janeelanee 6
Staats - Chellew Debate Oct. 20, 7pm Qtown Mich... Dec 24 Question 101
Giant supermarket self checkout? (Jan '14) Dec 22 LGK 30
Downtown Dogs Dec 22 stardog1960 14
A Plus Family Dental Dec 22 Stardog 1960 22
Manhunt Underway for Suspect in Pennsylvania Sh... Dec 20 Ho J Simpson 7

Quakertown News Video

Quakertown Dating
Find my Match