OSHA experienced

Hellertown, PA

#21 Jan 28, 2010
My only comment is on what OSHA found. The Intel listed two things. The lack of "training" and an MSDS book for one violation. All that means is that Qmart did not have a five minute training session on using floor cleaner and bleach. It also means they did not have a ring binder that contained the MSDS sheets for the bleach and floor cleaner. A LOT of small operations don't have this and would be fined the same way if inspected. If your workplace does not train on cleanser usage and have the MSDS sheets available for anyone to see and training on HOW to read them-you are guilty just as much as Qmart. The second thing listed was Lock out Tag out. The simple explanation is a program where you tag or physically lock a light switch while you change the light bulb. But it really applies to working on machinery and larger electrical systems. It prevents someone from turning ON something while it is being repaired. It won't prevent you from touching hot wires, however.

So probably many small shops, kitchens, and garages in our area are ready to be fined by OSHA if they were inspected. The fines are negotiable and are often reduced. The Qmart fine was minimal and did not mean Qmart was guilty of a person's death.

Please don't respond as if I am defending anyone or Qmart. I am simply saying what I know from many OSHA inspections I have been through. Unless you have an experienced OSHA/safety officer on staff, it is difficult to know what you really have to do to 100% OSHA compliant. It is doubtful the maint guy was up on the latest OSHA regs.
Innocent ByStander

Quakertown, PA

#22 Jan 28, 2010
NotZKM wrote:
<quoted text>Plus, what about Richland Township's involvement in this? After all, Richland's fire marshal, Fred Guenst, is Woldow's chief of security. I think this could mushroom if the Yerkes family presses charges.
Speaking of fire and the Q-mart in the same thread, did anybody else notice that when the million dollar renovations occured at the Mart they dropped the ceiling tiles below the sprinkler heads? Fire suppression is seriously compromised. If a fire started in one of those deep friers, the flames would race down the aisles like a freight train before a single sprinkler head activated (If they are still functioning). Although there are extinguishing systems in the restaurant kitchens, it only takes the one that isn't working that day to kill scores of people. When Jeff Stump was Richland's Fire Marshal, he and Woldow were always butting heads about the lack of fire code compliance. Funny how Stump is gone and Guenst is in. My guess is that there is a loop-hole that they are getting around. Until someone dies, again. Hopefully, Earl didn't die in vain and his death may actually save many lives with stricter enforcement.
Jason Conn

Perkasie, PA

#23 Jan 28, 2010
Funny wrote:
Here is the link: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_int...
Another reason I choose not to move into Spring Meadow. The QMart just attracts creeps.
The funniest part of the story is that one of the suspects has the last name 'Wedgie'.
Heinous Comparison

Quakertown, PA

#24 Jan 29, 2010
OSHA experienced wrote:
My only comment is on what OSHA found. The Intel listed two things. The lack of "training" and an MSDS book for one violation. All that means is that Qmart did not have a five minute training session on using floor cleaner and bleach. It also means they did not have a ring binder that contained the MSDS sheets for the bleach and floor cleaner. A LOT of small operations don't have this and would be fined the same way if inspected. If your workplace does not train on cleanser usage and have the MSDS sheets available for anyone to see and training on HOW to read them-you are guilty just as much as Qmart. The second thing listed was Lock out Tag out. The simple explanation is a program where you tag or physically lock a light switch while you change the light bulb. But it really applies to working on machinery and larger electrical systems. It prevents someone from turning ON something while it is being repaired. It won't prevent you from touching hot wires, however.
So probably many small shops, kitchens, and garages in our area are ready to be fined by OSHA if they were inspected. The fines are negotiable and are often reduced. The Qmart fine was minimal and did not mean Qmart was guilty of a person's death.
Please don't respond as if I am defending anyone or Qmart. I am simply saying what I know from many OSHA inspections I have been through. Unless you have an experienced OSHA/safety officer on staff, it is difficult to know what you really have to do to 100% OSHA compliant. It is doubtful the maint guy was up on the latest OSHA regs.
Mr. Yerkes did not die because he missed a training session on cleaning the floor.
A massive HVAC unit is not a light bulb and its related switch that will knock you on your butt if you don't handle it properly. It is a much more powerful piece of equipment that killed a man.
The owner of that establishment has a responsibility to hire people either fully trained to handle dangerous situations or provide the proper training and oversight to ensure their safety. He did not.
It is also absolutely absurd that the same individual who rants ceaselessly about others purported mismanagement to further his own personal interests has the gall to put forth that because he had not interacted with OSHA, he did not know what to do to keep his employees safe.
OSHA E, I can not tell whether you are a supporter trying to do damage control for him or someone who truly experienced OSHA difficulties and are overgeneralizing your situation to a much more broad and deep-seated level of dysfunction than floor cleaners and light bulbs.
class of 95

Lansdale, PA

#25 Jan 29, 2010
Heinous Comparison wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Yerkes did not die because he missed a training session on cleaning the floor.
A massive HVAC unit is not a light bulb and its related switch that will knock you on your butt if you don't handle it properly. It is a much more powerful piece of equipment that killed a man.
The owner of that establishment has a responsibility to hire people either fully trained to handle dangerous situations or provide the proper training and oversight to ensure their safety. He did not.
It is also absolutely absurd that the same individual who rants ceaselessly about others purported mismanagement to further his own personal interests has the gall to put forth that because he had not interacted with OSHA, he did not know what to do to keep his employees safe.
OSHA E, I can not tell whether you are a supporter trying to do damage control for him or someone who truly experienced OSHA difficulties and are overgeneralizing your situation to a much more broad and deep-seated level of dysfunction than floor cleaners and light bulbs.
Standing O for your comments. The way Woldow has handled the situation is rather despicable IMO.
DaBoozer

Quakertown, PA

#26 Jan 29, 2010
<quoted text>
It is a much more powerful piece of equipment that killed a man.
IT IS ALSO UP THE EMPLOYEE TO STATE ANY CONCERNS ABOUT WORKING ON MACHINERY (LACK OF TRAINING, SAFETY, ETC). ACCIDENTS USUALLY CAUSED BY LACK OR LOSS OF ATTENTION. ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN.
WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, WE MAY NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.
AND TO WHO EVER SAID OSHA COULD FINE HOME OWNERS YOU ARE MOSTLY WRONG. OSHA ONLY INVESTIGATES WORK PLACE ACCIDENTS. OSHA CAN ONLY INSPECT YOUR HOME IF: YOU HAVE EMPLOYEES (YOU DO NOT COUNT) AND THEIR WORKSPACE IS INSIDE YOUR HOME
THE BEST THING TO DO IS LET THE POST DROP BEFORE SOMEONE POSTS NASTY THINGS.
Heinous Comparison

Quakertown, PA

#27 Jan 29, 2010
DaBoozer wrote:
<quoted text>
IT IS ALSO UP THE EMPLOYEE TO STATE ANY CONCERNS ABOUT WORKING ON MACHINERY (LACK OF TRAINING, SAFETY, ETC). ACCIDENTS USUALLY CAUSED BY LACK OR LOSS OF ATTENTION. ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN.
WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, WE MAY NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.
AND TO WHO EVER SAID OSHA COULD FINE HOME OWNERS YOU ARE MOSTLY WRONG. OSHA ONLY INVESTIGATES WORK PLACE ACCIDENTS. OSHA CAN ONLY INSPECT YOUR HOME IF: YOU HAVE EMPLOYEES (YOU DO NOT COUNT) AND THEIR WORKSPACE IS INSIDE YOUR HOME
THE BEST THING TO DO IS LET THE POST DROP BEFORE SOMEONE POSTS NASTY THINGS.
You are correct sir and we will never know what truely occurred.

What has been suggested on here (and will be challenged if perceived as not accurate and the readers can decide)is that the owner tried to skirt issues related to safety.

He writes primarily to satisfy political leaders and his financial bottom line. Am I correct that some of those policital leaders are responsible for the oversight of hiring and firing of fire marshals in their township? If yes, it would appear as though the fire marshal that tried to hold the owner accountable for his behavior was fired by the political allies.

Do I recall another thread accurately that suggested that one supervisor's run for the position was inspired by his placement of a shed on open space, the zoning officer calling him to task for it, and upon election said zoning officer was fired and the teeth were largely taken out of the zoning officer position? What is the status of code enforcement in that township? Where does OSHA compliance fit in all this?

Is my understanding correct that the current township fire marshall is the father of the woman who embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from the township under the watch of the establishment owners' oft touted financial wizard? Now that same fire marshal is the head of security too at the place of business where Mr. Yerkes died.

I don't know many 85 year old men who have been a loyal employee for many, many years who are going to complain about a lack of training to their employer. Eighty-five is a stage of life where others who care about the person are taking steps to ensure that the senior citizen they care about is safe.
OHM

Quakertown, PA

#28 Jan 29, 2010
<quoted text>
If it's HVAC, hire a proper mechanic. I don't fool with my home a/c I call a professional. If it's electrical, hire a certified electrician. Do I dare ask if they have certified pest control over there or just 'spray at will' in each stall.

When you run a business, especially one that caters to thousands of people in any given month have the common courtesy and foresight to hire professional people to oversee the proper inspections and maintenance of your business.

What if a flash fire ocurred? Spend a buck or 2, it's tax deductible and you owe it to your customers and vendors. Oh yeah, don't pass the cost of running YOUR establishment onto your vendors, they pay high enough rent as is. I wonder if they are still required to pay CASH.
OHM

Quakertown, PA

#29 Jan 29, 2010
<quoted text>
What has been suggested on here (and will be challenged if perceived as not accurate and the readers can decide)is that the owner tried to skirt issues related to safety.
He writes primarily to satisfy political leaders and his financial bottom line. Am I correct that some of those policital leaders are responsible for the oversight of hiring and firing of fire marshals in their township? If yes, it would appear as though the fire marshal that tried to hold the owner accountable for his behavior was fired by the political allies.
Do I recall another thread accurately that suggested that one supervisor's run for the position was inspired by his placement of a shed on open space, the zoning officer calling him to task for it, and upon election said zoning officer was fired and the teeth were largely taken out of the zoning officer position? What is the status of code enforcement in that township? Where does OSHA compliance fit in all this?
Is my understanding correct that the current township fire marshall is the father of the woman who embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from the township under the watch of the establishment owners' oft touted financial wizard? Now that same fire marshal is the head of security too at the place of business where Mr. Yerkes died.
I don't know many 85 year old men who have been a loyal employee for many, many years who are going to complain about a lack of training to their employer. Eighty-five is a stage of life where others who care about the person are taking steps to ensure that the senior citizen they care about is safe.
I would say the smoking gun here is the poor man who died while clenched to a live wire.
FirePolice

Quakertown, PA

#30 Jan 29, 2010
OSHA experienced wrote:
Okay, now can we talk about fire drills. If that A/C had caught due to the surge that probably caused it to short and kill the guy. What drill procedures are in place. The only way out is through the exits. In that rat maze how would you get out if a fire was between 2 restaurant/bakery stalls and you. NOTHING is posted.
Innocent ByStander

Quakertown, PA

#31 Jan 29, 2010
<quoted text>
The Fire Marshall is the father-in-law of the embezzler. The embezzler's husband is the Fire Marshall's son and Deputy Chief of the Quakertown FD.
LawyerUp

Quakertown, PA

#32 Jan 29, 2010
class of 95 wrote:
<quoted text>
Standing O for your comments. The way Woldow has handled the situation is rather despicable IMO.
I honestly think this is a wrongful death incident.

If he was told to go up and fix the thing OR if it was a common ocurrence for him to do so. If there was no training and it was a part of his normal duties he should have been trained or instructed who to call in the event of a malfunction. Ka Ching !
NotZKM

Quakertown, PA

#33 Jan 29, 2010
Sounds like corners were cut and a possible cover up?

Hey, where's our Sellersville ISP poster of many names? His SILENCE speaks VOLUMES. Right, Richard? Your chickens HAVE come home to roost, haven't they, Richard?
TruthBeTold

Sellersville, PA

#34 Jan 29, 2010
NotZKM wrote:
Sounds like corners were cut and a possible cover up?
Hey, where's our Sellersville ISP poster of many names? His SILENCE speaks VOLUMES. Right, Richard? Your chickens HAVE come home to roost, haven't they, Richard?
If I may be so bold as to assume you are addressing me- I'll just reply that I can't go out of town for one day without your paranoia and delusions kicking in- again. Apparently you miss me when I go on vacation or even to the doctor. I'm not flattered to have the attention of such a negative and obviously disturbed fan. Lucky for me you haven't gotten at all close to guessing my identity in these years of postings or you might start stalking me and my family as you have others you so obviously despise. Phew!

Of course Woldow acted selfishly, thoughtlessly and without regard to the family of the deceased when reacting to the tragic accident and death. Of course his ignorance or disregard of the OSHA laws were a sign of managerial incompetence and lack of proper oversight. In no way do his apparently emotionless and self-serving reactions to this tragedy reflect on me. In no way am I connected with the management of the farmer's market or the oversight by the government of same. Phew!

I care about the management of my properties and the actions of myself and my family and not in what Woldow did or does. I still believe he and you and everyone else has the right to personal opinions and are responsible for their own actions. I still believe that he helped the electorate decide to clean up the Quakertown Borough government and shed light on the QCSD board and administrations's weaknesses. I still believe that the electorate of the area are not dumb as rocks and can discern fact from opinion by doing a little research on ther own- and that includes their personal choices in the voting booth. I still believe the QCSD is mismanaged.

Woldow's, Richland Township officials, the EPA's, Earl's family's and your reactions to this issue do not concern me or mine.I have my own issues and have written extensively for a long time about them on these threads.Readers can figure out for themselves who the nut case is here.

P.S.- If your next garbage post is to suggest Woldow is writing this you surely know him well enough by now to know, based on his past public actions and writings, that his ego doesn't allow him to admit failure or weakness, or wrongdoing of any sort.
NotZKM

Quakertown, PA

#35 Jan 29, 2010
TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>
If I may be so bold as to assume you are addressing me- I'll just reply that I can't go out of town for one day without your paranoia and delusions kicking in- again. Apparently you miss me when I go on vacation or even to the doctor. I'm not flattered to have the attention of such a negative and obviously disturbed fan. Lucky for me you haven't gotten at all close to guessing my identity in these years of postings or you might start stalking me and my family as you have others you so obviously despise. Phew!
Of course Woldow acted selfishly, thoughtlessly and without regard to the family of the deceased when reacting to the tragic accident and death. Of course his ignorance or disregard of the OSHA laws were a sign of managerial incompetence and lack of proper oversight. In no way do his apparently emotionless and self-serving reactions to this tragedy reflect on me. In no way am I connected with the management of the farmer's market or the oversight by the government of same. Phew!
I care about the management of my properties and the actions of myself and my family and not in what Woldow did or does. I still believe he and you and everyone else has the right to personal opinions and are responsible for their own actions. I still believe that he helped the electorate decide to clean up the Quakertown Borough government and shed light on the QCSD board and administrations's weaknesses. I still believe that the electorate of the area are not dumb as rocks and can discern fact from opinion by doing a little research on ther own- and that includes their personal choices in the voting booth. I still believe the QCSD is mismanaged.
Woldow's, Richland Township officials, the EPA's, Earl's family's and your reactions to this issue do not concern me or mine.I have my own issues and have written extensively for a long time about them on these threads.Readers can figure out for themselves who the nut case is here.
P.S.- If your next garbage post is to suggest Woldow is writing this you surely know him well enough by now to know, based on his past public actions and writings, that his ego doesn't allow him to admit failure or weakness, or wrongdoing of any sort.
Folks, if you believe this poor attempt at deception and deflection, have I got a bridge to sell you.
TruthBeTold

Sellersville, PA

#36 Jan 29, 2010
See?
OSHA E

Trenton, NJ

#37 Jan 29, 2010
As my lawyer told me this afternoon.'I am not here to tell you what is right or wrong. I am here to tell you what the laws says." Yep-I generalized about OSHA and the light bulb. But one must really know what OSHA is and is not to comment on OSHA. OSHA does not require you to train your maint guy on how to handle electricity. There are a LOT of there things you have to do, however. And it IS the responsibility of he owner/manager to put certain things into place. But even the "training" can be written and designed by the owner/manager. Not everything is laid out in black and white.

On another side topic...why whenever someone offers up some info that does not directly slay the hated mr/mrs (fill name in here)do people , some people, immediately suspect hidden motives, enablers, relatives, and the like? Really paranoid. No offense but do you constantly peek out your windows on "trash night" to see if someone is rooting through your garbage?
Richland Resident

Quakertown, PA

#38 Jan 30, 2010
Has the EPA violation that has been pending for a decade at the Q-Mart been resolved yet?
JPro

Irvington, NJ

#39 Jan 31, 2010
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
it will be when it shows up in your neighborhood. Dont say it wont..its EVERYWHERE, its the people you LEAST EXPECT!!
yep!
NotZKM

Quakertown, PA

#40 Jan 31, 2010
Richland Resident wrote:
Has the EPA violation that has been pending for a decade at the Q-Mart been resolved yet?
Isn't that about the old gas tanks from the former gas station on the property?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
grundy house 33 min informant 2
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 1 hr ED Swindell 51,458
HEliCopters 2 hr Electric 2
Quakertown schools limit time spent on homework... 4 hr Curious 11
Kohl 's 5 hr RDN524 4
competent dentists in area? 8 hr Opinion 7
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 17 hr Fast Eddie 3,992
•••

Quakertown News Video

•••
•••

Quakertown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Quakertown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE