Long Review: Caitlyn and Cody's Diner

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Jun 8, 2011
After going to the Milford Township Carnival, we decide to go to Caitlin and Codyís Diner and give it a try. After reading some of the negative comments, I wanted to see if things had changed. It was a mixed bag.

First, the dťcor is still the same. The atmosphere is a bit upscale for a ďdinerĒ, which may confuse people when the menu comes out or the food comes out (more on that later).

Our hostess was polite and efficient, seating the 4 of us at one of the larger oversized booths. The restaurant was fairly quiet, maybe 5 tables had diners. Throughout our stay, there was light traffic coming in, the place never got packed (it was a Tues night so not unusual).

Our waitress was Melinda, she took our drink order and they arrived in a timely fashion complete with kids cups as we requested for the kids. The quality of my iced tea was very subpar, it was very watery.

The menu is not an extensive diner menu. It seems to be a short abbreviated menu with a balance of salads, sandwiches, entrees. The breakfast menu looks to be fine, not as wide or varied, but all the normal items were listed.

We ordered 2 kids meals, I ordered the ribs and my wife ordered the Thanksgiving plate. We also ordered a starter of onion rings. My wifeís and my entrees came with a soup or salad and 1 side. We both got salad and mashed potatoes.

Due to some of the comments, at this point, we werenít disappointed by the service at all. Even though my iced tea was not very good, the friendly waitress and nice atmosphere made up for it.

After about 5 minutes, our onion rings arrived. The portion size was a bit small, maybe 7-8 medium sized rings. For $6, I would have expected a slightly larger size and better quality of Onion Ring. For comparison, Red Robinís rings are $8 for 13 rings of rather good quality. To give you an example, we asked for small app plates, by the time our waitress came back with the plates, the rings were gone.

Ok, so even though the portion size was small, not a big deal, they were hot and crispy and even though the quality of the ring wasnít premium, I would compare them to say, Gritaís onion rings.

Location hidden

#2 Jun 8, 2011
After a few more minutes, our salads came out. This was hugely disappointing. As every restauranteur knows, complimentary salad cost is virtually nothing. Itís advantageous to serve a good complimentary salad as itís the first impression that a diner sees regarding their meal. The salads here were served on individual app plates, that is to say, plates about 5 inches in diameter. The salads were composed of lettuce, 1 cherry tomato and a few slivers of onion. Dressings were rather heavily anointing the salads as well. The biggest faux pas was that our salad plates were warm, making the shredded lettuce feel wilted in texture.

Our food came out and hereís where we had some hits and misses.

The kids ordered fried mac and cheese and shared a side order of fries. The fries, like the onion rings, were a very small portion relative to price. The food itself was fine, they were just frozen triangles of mac and cheese that were fried up for the kids.

My ribs were actually pretty good. I ordered them lightly sauced and they came out that way. It was a full rack, very nice portion, tender meat. This was a welcome surprise considering what came before it.

My wifeís Thanksgiving plate was not as good as mine. The stuffing was Stove Top like (that is to say, not made from scratch), and there were 2 slices of turkey on top of that. The cranberry sauce was obviously from a can as the indentations in the jelly indicated.

Both my wife and I ordered mashed potatoes as a side. They were mashed red skinned potatoes.[

[Insert Rant] Mashed red skinned potatoes are absolutely terrible and a lazy way to make mashed potatoes. Essentially when you order red skin mashed anywhere, all they do is boil red skin potatoes (unpeeled) and then mash the crap out of them. The problem is red skinned potatoes get very dense very quickly when agitated. People use them because they donít have to peel them and thereís less work involved versus making them the right way.[End Rant]

Anyway, the mashed potatoes here were dense, luke warm, and gummy.(I didnít expect more from red skinned mashed. Even Il Garda used to serve this and it was the one thing I could not stand eating at Il Garda).

Location hidden

#3 Jun 8, 2011
The kidís meal came with pudding for dessert, my wife and I didnít order dessert. The total bill was $43, and after gratuity came to $55.

High points: Fast seating (on a slow night), friendly waitress who refilled our drinks when requested, clean and comfortable atmosphere. Game room looks like fun, albeit a bit expensive. Lots of ticket prize choices ala Chuck E. Cheese.

Low points: Food portions hit and miss, quality of food could use improvement, iced tea tasted like dishwater. No manager on the floor.

Suggestions: There really needs to be a ďmanagerĒ or owner working the floor. I saw a young lady who looked like the owner, but not one time did I see her on the dining room floor. As a new restaurant, itís important for managers to be on the floor and to observe and discreetly listen to comments from customers.

The salads really need to be overhauled. Serve them on cold plates and put dressing in little cups so diners can put the amount they want on.

Bottom Line:

There is real potential here. The game room is nice, the space is huge and accommodating, and the service on this visit was very good. The food quality and portioning needs serious improvement. A restaurant of this size and scope demands a professional in the kitchen. Iím sure the owners invested a lot of resources and I hope they do well. This post is intended to be a review as well as offer helpful suggestions from my experience in the hospitality industry.

We will go back, and hope that the service will remain friendly and attentive, and hope that food is better. Oh, and did I mention the iced tea?
Miller

Pennsauken, NJ

#4 Jun 8, 2011
Sounds like an "avoid" to me, and I will. I see what you mean about the unpeeled redskinned mashed, but I have made them with milk, sour cream, a little milk or half and half, butter, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and they come out nicely, not pasty or bitter. The key is not to "mash the crap out of them", as you say. If you overmash any potatoes, they will thicken and lose their creaminess. Restaurant mashed potatoes are a problem because when they sit, they lose moisture. I avoid because they are not made to order.
Vain HK wrote:
After a few more minutes, our salads came out. This was hugely disappointing. As every restauranteur knows, complimentary salad cost is virtually nothing. Itís advantageous to serve a good complimentary salad as itís the first impression that a diner sees regarding their meal. The salads here were served on individual app plates, that is to say, plates about 5 inches in diameter. The salads were composed of lettuce, 1 cherry tomato and a few slivers of onion. Dressings were rather heavily anointing the salads as well. The biggest faux pas was that our salad plates were warm, making the shredded lettuce feel wilted in texture.
Our food came out and hereís where we had some hits and misses.
The kids ordered fried mac and cheese and shared a side order of fries. The fries, like the onion rings, were a very small portion relative to price. The food itself was fine, they were just frozen triangles of mac and cheese that were fried up for the kids.
My ribs were actually pretty good. I ordered them lightly sauced and they came out that way. It was a full rack, very nice portion, tender meat. This was a welcome surprise considering what came before it.
My wifeís Thanksgiving plate was not as good as mine. The stuffing was Stove Top like (that is to say, not made from scratch), and there were 2 slices of turkey on top of that. The cranberry sauce was obviously from a can as the indentations in the jelly indicated.
Both my wife and I ordered mashed potatoes as a side. They were mashed red skinned potatoes.[
[Insert Rant] Mashed red skinned potatoes are absolutely terrible and a lazy way to make mashed potatoes. Essentially when you order red skin mashed anywhere, all they do is boil red skin potatoes (unpeeled) and then mash the crap out of them. The problem is red skinned potatoes get very dense very quickly when agitated. People use them because they donít have to peel them and thereís less work involved versus making them the right way.[End Rant]
Anyway, the mashed potatoes here were dense, luke warm, and gummy.(I didnít expect more from red skinned mashed. Even Il Garda used to serve this and it was the one thing I could not stand eating at Il Garda).
Just Me

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for the dissertation on that diner. You will actually save me the aggravation of going there anytime soon. I will be out of here in two months anyway, so the chances of me ever eating there, just went right out the door.

The best part of your post, you reminded me that I need to go to the carnival tonight and Friday with my family.

Thanks again.
Richland Resident

Quakertown, PA

#6 Jun 8, 2011
Thanks to HK. His or her post was very informative.
Inquiring Mind

Bowie, MD

#7 Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write this review!
southpark69

Quakertown, PA

#9 Jun 8, 2011
Good post. But, hey I like red skinned mashed potatoes! If, they are made correctly they are very good.
Caitlyn

United States

#10 Jun 15, 2011
Vain HK wrote:
The kidís meal came with pudding for dessert, my wife and I didnít order dessert. The total bill was $43, and after gratuity came to $55.
High points: Fast seating (on a slow night), friendly waitress who refilled our drinks when requested, clean and comfortable atmosphere. Game room looks like fun, albeit a bit expensive. Lots of ticket prize choices ala Chuck E. Cheese.
Low points: Food portions hit and miss, quality of food could use improvement, iced tea tasted like dishwater. No manager on the floor.
Suggestions: There really needs to be a ďmanagerĒ or owner working the floor. I saw a young lady who looked like the owner, but not one time did I see her on the dining room floor. As a new restaurant, itís important for managers to be on the floor and to observe and discreetly listen to comments from customers.
The salads really need to be overhauled. Serve them on cold plates and put dressing in little cups so diners can put the amount they want on.
Bottom Line:
There is real potential here. The game room is nice, the space is huge and accommodating, and the service on this visit was very good. The food quality and portioning needs serious improvement. A restaurant of this size and scope demands a professional in the kitchen. Iím sure the owners invested a lot of resources and I hope they do well. This post is intended to be a review as well as offer helpful suggestions from my experience in the hospitality industry.
We will go back, and hope that the service will remain friendly and attentive, and hope that food is better. Oh, and did I mention the iced tea?
Uhm, excuse me. But there is ALWAYS a manager on the floor, whether it be my grandfather, my grandmother or my mom. And yes we're reviewing everything, basically. Plus all new restaurants have gliches in the beginning.. But thank you for the positive remarks.
Cathie

Quakertown, PA

#11 Jun 16, 2011
tonight was the 2nd time we were at the "diner", we went on a Sunday about noon and all four of us wanted breakfast, sorry no breakfast after 11! On a Sunday? So we all got sandwiches. Drinks were served not by the waitress but by someone else, a buss person? She caried 1 plastic cup in 1 hand with the other 2 against her shirt with the other arm holding them. We got up and got our own straws. No one came back to ask about anything during our meal and we had to ask repeatedly for our check.
Toniught we tried again, we took 2 scholl age kids with us who enjoyed the place very much. The kids maeals were actually eaten. My croquets had been microwaved and were very hot on the bottom and dehydrated n the top, VERY dry, poor quality mashed and warm cole slaw. The kids got pudding, yes from a can, for desert and we shared a eice of pie, previously frozen and poor quality. I think you could havea gold mine if you decide on a theme for the decor, pump up the quality of the food and get a dynamo hostess who knows how to seat people and check out people properly. You have a great location screaming for a good diner. MAke it so.

Location hidden

#12 Jun 16, 2011
Caitlyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm, excuse me. But there is ALWAYS a manager on the floor, whether it be my grandfather, my grandmother or my mom. And yes we're reviewing everything, basically. Plus all new restaurants have gliches in the beginning.. But thank you for the positive remarks.
I hope you are able to make positive changes and improvements.

Running a restaurant, especially an ambitious concept such as yours, is no easy task. I'm not sure how much restaurant management experience your grandfather, grandmother, or your mother have, but hopefully things will get better.

As has been said, you have a great space, and that's it's a big positive.
petunia

Marcus Hook, PA

#13 Jun 20, 2011
It's a shame - Everyone was rooting for this restaurant to be a success. Good location - roomy restaurant - games for kids. No breakfast after 11:00 on Sunday? Unbelievable and they call themselves a diner. They've attacked anyone who tried constructive criticism. They are definitely non-visable on the floor (even though Caitlyn says there is always a manager). Food is not good. Now people are going back to their tried and true restaurants. Caitlyn and Cody's will be non-existent in a few months.
marigold

Alexandria, VA

#14 Jun 20, 2011
We tried and liked this place. Keeping in perspective that it is a diner, we found the price very reasonable, the food tasty and even had coupon that gave us a promotional discount.

One of the earlier comments stated they had croquettes, which is a difficult choice for ordering out, as they are low-volume, fried products that will easily become a dried out entree. Try a grilled meat. Our boneless chicken breasts were excellent, fresh and well prepared.

Because the space is so large, it would be easier if the space was more divided up that would allow sections to be closed or screened off when not busy, and a floor manager could oversee the space more easily. The bar is nice, but very large also.

A suggestion for the owners - don't comment on Topix. You can't win on here and you'll only dig the situation in deeper.

Best wishes for a successful business venture to this new restaurant.
Just a suggestions

Perkasie, PA

#15 Jun 20, 2011
marigold wrote:
A suggestion for the owners - don't comment on Topix. You can't win on here and you'll only dig the situation in deeper.
Or if you are the owners and you do comment - comment nicely, not in a hostile way. A simple "thank you for your suggestions, we are working on such and such" would go a long way towards establishing good will. Having a negative and argumentative tone as an owner doesn't encourage potential customers to give you a try.
Customer

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Jun 26, 2011
Entered place while two people were eating and hostess said she had to check what's available( um every seat was available). Then we sat down and took twenty minutes to get our drinks ordered. But at least we got to hear all the employees talk about there last night social gatherings! Food was half decent but wait time is unreal for such a slow and new restaurant. All employees seem hungover and not to with it while working here. And since I ate hear I must be a fatty as one posted up here(most likely how the owners are probably trying to argue people problems on here). Never again will I come back olive garden and tgi Fridays is amazing!!!!
Wanted to Like it

East Greenville, PA

#17 Jun 26, 2011
My husband and I were excited to try this place as well! Service was terrible: our waitress was so SLOW (our drinks alone took 10 minutes or so to come out...the food took a ridiculous amount of time to arrive as well). I should add that it was morning on a weekend, but only a few tables were taken, so it wasn't busy.

Portions were small, iced tea horrible, and my husband left his pancakes and sausage uneaten. My "over easy eggs" came out more like hard boiled in center (no runny yolk) and the potatoes were inedible as well.

The restaurant looked nice inside, but aside from that, we were not pleased with our experience and won't be returning. It's a shame b/c we really wanted to like it and it's a great location!
Inquiring Mind

United States

#18 Jun 26, 2011
I'm really puzzled by the conflicting reviews. Our one experience last Wednesday morning was good. Management really needs to get control before the wheels fall off completely.
jen

Quakertown, PA

#19 Jun 26, 2011
We want to go this Wednesday for my son's birthday. I hope they work things out a tad by then. We really need a nice family restaurant and this could be it. Let's hope all these comments are taken in a constructive manner! The community is rooting for you, please deliver!
Satisfied Customer

Exton, PA

#20 Jun 30, 2011
Visited Cody and Caitlins for the first time this morning for breakfast along with a friend. Service was very good, beautiful inside and the food (especially the creamed chipped beef) was delicious. I plan on being there for lunch tomorrow and taking my grandchildren to the arcade after our meal! Those who visited during the first few weeks after opening should return. Sometimes it just takes a little time to work out the glitches in a new business.
Satisfied Customer

Exton, PA

#21 Jul 12, 2011
Went back for lunch with the grandchildren. After a nice meal, they had a ball in the game room. I'll return and so will my family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
new dog park in quakertown somewhere Sun Nodogs 6
Richland Township Board of Supervisors Feb 5 Jack Frost 1 5
Richland Township police at Walmart Feb 4 Respect 14
yum yum house Feb 4 amber 5
Milford Snowy Sidewalks Feb 4 Holy cow 2
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Feb 2 Kitty 766
Illegal garage and tow truck business. Feb 2 satan 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages