Hostess: Union stupidity in full view

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Funny

Broomall, PA

#1 Nov 17, 2012
This is why we have lost so many jobs in this country. Hostess was in bankruptcy protection and told its employees they would have to take an 8% pay cut so the company could survive, but what did these greedy morons do? The went on strike.

They were told to return to work or the company would liquidate its assets. Well, they didn't and now 18,000 are out of a job because of GREED.

I hope the membership is pleased with themselves now that they have stood in solidarity with each other to fight the greedy corporation.

On a related note, I just heard that that the union for the PA state university faculties are threatening a strike.

I say fire them all because there are many more who would gladly take their positions.

Unions of today are NOTHING like those that actually fought for worker's rights and such. It's all about give me more, more, and more, and damn the company or the taxpayer in the case of the public unions.

Their time has come and gone.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Nov 17, 2012
beginning of chaos.. glorious chaos...

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#3 Nov 17, 2012
where are the ding dongs?... oh wait... Washington!
resident

Broomall, PA

#4 Nov 17, 2012
Funny wrote:
This is why we have lost so many jobs in this country. Hostess was in bankruptcy protection and told its employees they would have to take an 8% pay cut so the company could survive, but what did these greedy morons do? The went on strike.
They were told to return to work or the company would liquidate its assets. Well, they didn't and now 18,000 are out of a job because of GREED.
I hope the membership is pleased with themselves now that they have stood in solidarity with each other to fight the greedy corporation.
On a related note, I just heard that that the union for the PA state university faculties are threatening a strike.
I say fire them all because there are many more who would gladly take their positions.
Unions of today are NOTHING like those that actually fought for worker's rights and such. It's all about give me more, more, and more, and damn the company or the taxpayer in the case of the public unions.
Why don't the shareholders take an 8% cut in dividends? Why should they continue to reap maximum profits at the expense of the workers? I hope the union stays strong because there is strength in numbers.
resident

Broomall, PA

#5 Nov 17, 2012
Funny wrote:
The time for unions has come and gone? Do you follow economic affairs? You do realize the U.S. is going through massive inequality where 1% owns 90% of the nation's wealth. Unions and like-minded allies can help lessen that extreme inequality through better wages and pressuring lawmakers to raise taxes on the rich and redistribute revenue that benefits the general public.

In the end you will be on the wrong side of history.
Morty

Newtown Square, PA

#6 Nov 17, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The time for unions has come and gone? Do you follow economic affairs? You do realize the U.S. is going through massive inequality where 1% owns 90% of the nation's wealth. Unions and like-minded allies can help lessen that extreme inequality through better wages and pressuring lawmakers to raise taxes on the rich and redistribute revenue that benefits the general public.
Another F'ng Communist. No wonder we got what we got. See ya U.S.A., it was nice knowing you. The greedy and worthless are chewing you up. We're nothing but another Third World Nation, now. Just what the Obaminator wanted.
Inquiring Mind

Brighton, MI

#7 Nov 17, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't the shareholders take an 8% cut in dividends? Why should they continue to reap maximum profits at the expense of the workers? I hope the union stays strong because there is strength in numbers.
Dividends? LOL. Companies facing bankruptcy don't declare dividends.
And their shares are worthless. These employees got screwed by their union and now the jobs will probably go to Mexico and the economy will suffer.
Inquiring Mind

Brighton, MI

#8 Nov 17, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>The time for unions has come and gone? Do you follow economic affairs? You do realize the U.S. is going through massive inequality where 1% owns 90% of the nation's wealth. Unions and like-minded allies can help lessen that extreme inequality through better wages and pressuring lawmakers to raise taxes on the rich and redistribute revenue that benefits the general public.

WRONG. The top 1% own 40% of the nation's wealth. Stop spreading lies with your ignorance. They also pay over 70% of ALL federal income taxes.

http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/top10-p...

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/03/3...
contractor here

Sellersville, PA

#9 Nov 17, 2012
Funny wrote:
I'm a non union self employed electrician and i deal with basically the same thing. I have to compete with other "electricians" that have the same mentality as you do. They think it's ok to work dirt cheap just to stay working instead of standing their ground when giving a price. When they work dirt cheap it hurts the whole trade because word spreads and customers (home owners) expect to pay the same. I am in business to make a profit not work for wages otherwise I would go work for someone else.

If everyone just accepted what was offered to them and never challenged anything this country would be a 3rd world country. I have delusional "customers" try to break me down on price but I never give in, my price is my price take it or call someone else...it's not lets make a deal.

There will always be bottom feeders who just take any type of work they can get "and be happy with a job"
JoJo

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2012
contractor here wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a non union self employed electrician and i deal with basically the same thing. I have to compete with other "electricians" that have the same mentality as you do. They think it's ok to work dirt cheap just to stay working instead of standing their ground when giving a price. When they work dirt cheap it hurts the whole trade because word spreads and customers (home owners) expect to pay the same. I am in business to make a profit not work for wages otherwise I would go work for someone else.

If everyone just accepted what was offered to them and never challenged anything this country would be a 3rd world country. I have delusional "customers" try to break me down on price but I never give in, my price is my price take it or call someone else...it's not lets make a deal.

There will always be bottom feeders who just take any type of work they can get "and be happy with a job"
OMG ! It's the overpriced electrician again. Give it a break. No one cares that you don't get work because you charge too much. Go get a Union Job.
Clueless

Broomall, PA

#11 Nov 17, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't the shareholders take an 8% cut in dividends? Why should they continue to reap maximum profits at the expense of the workers? I hope the union stays strong because there is strength in numbers.
There last dividend was in 2004, so they couldn't have taken an 8% cut on nothing, genius.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/IBCIQ:US
Clueless

Broomall, PA

#12 Nov 17, 2012
contractor here wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a non union self employed electrician and i deal with basically the same thing. I have to compete with other "electricians" that have the same mentality as you do. They think it's ok to work dirt cheap just to stay working instead of standing their ground when giving a price. When they work dirt cheap it hurts the whole trade because word spreads and customers (home owners) expect to pay the same. I am in business to make a profit not work for wages otherwise I would go work for someone else.
It wasn't "business as usual" at Hostess. They were under bankruptcy protection, which meant they were in the hole already. It was either take the pay cut or they would have to close, they chose the good of the one over the good of the many and now they are are on unemployment.
Clueless

Broomall, PA

#13 Nov 17, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Dividends? LOL. Companies facing bankruptcy don't declare dividends.
And their shares are worthless. These employees got screwed by their union and now the jobs will probably go to Mexico and the economy will suffer.
The last time they paid a dividend was in 2004, according to Bloomberg. I think a good lynching of the union leadership is in order by its members at this point. They should demand their dues back!
Clueless

Broomall, PA

#14 Nov 17, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and yes to both of your ignorant questions.

Higher wages = higher costs = higher prices. People don't want to pay higher prices, so the jobs will go elsewhere.

Just stop it with income redistribution garbage.

In the end, slugs like yourself will be on the wrong side of history, and in the soup kitchen. Moron.
Inquiring Mind

Brighton, MI

#15 Nov 17, 2012
contractor here wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a non union self employed electrician and i deal with basically the same thing. I have to compete with other "electricians" that have the same mentality as you do. They think it's ok to work dirt cheap just to stay working instead of standing their ground when giving a price. When they work dirt cheap it hurts the whole trade because word spreads and customers (home owners) expect to pay the same. I am in business to make a profit not work for wages otherwise I would go work for someone else.

Starting pay for an entry level, unskilled production worker at Hostess Brands was $30-$49K + benefits. Not "dirt cheap" by a long shot. As a business owner, you are free to set the prices for your services. What would YOU do if your employees demanded you pay them what THEY wanted you to pay them, even if it drove you into bankruptcy?

http://www.jobs2careers.com/Jobs/q-Hostess-Br...
wondering

Perkasie, PA

#16 Nov 17, 2012
sad, now their worse off than they were before, UNEMPLOYED!!! good luck with that...even with a pay cut, they would receive more than unemployment. i understand their fight, but in this economy, better to HAVE a job than NOT...too few and far between...feel sorry for them all...and will miss my ding dong...:(
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#17 Nov 17, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting pay for an entry level, unskilled production worker at Hostess Brands was $30-$49K + benefits. Not "dirt cheap" by a long shot. As a business owner, you are free to set the prices for your services. What would YOU do if your employees demanded you pay them what THEY wanted you to pay them, even if it drove you into bankruptcy?
http://www.jobs2careers.com/Jobs/q-Hostess-Br...
and you have no problem with

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/13/4983174/host...

"Over the past eight years since the first Hostess bankruptcy, BCTGM members have watched as money from previous concessions that was supposed to go towards capital investment, product development, plant improvement and new equipment, was squandered in executive bonuses, payouts to Wall Street investors and payments to high-priced attorneys and consultants.

BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256."

and the best company offer?

"In fact, according to the company's 1113 filing with the bankruptcy court earlier this year as well as its last/best/final and non-negotiable proposal to its BCTGM-represented workers, the company was planning to close at least nine bakeries as part of its reorganization plan, although the company refused to disclose which bakeries it intended to close. This is in addition to the three bakeries that were to be closed as a result of the company's planned sale of its Merita division.

Moreover, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was quoted in a November 13 KMOX-CBS St. Louis article stating, "I was told months ago they were planning on closing the site in St. Louis… And there was no indication at that time it had anything to do with the strike the workers were waging."

the management of the company is taking steps to curtail costs by increasing their pay to keep the business going?
how does that logic work?

the workers take concessions and the CEO gets a bigger paycheck?
while the CEO tanks the company?
Inquiring Mind

Brighton, MI

#18 Nov 17, 2012
wondering wrote:
sad, now their worse off than they were before, UNEMPLOYED!!! good luck with that...even with a pay cut, they would receive more than unemployment. i understand their fight, but in this economy, better to HAVE a job than NOT...too few and far between...feel sorry for them all...and will miss my ding dong...:(
The brands will be sold and your Ding Dongs will be made in Mexico by workers thrilled to make half of what the Hostess workers were being paid. I guess the "patriotic" Union isn't that patriotic when they are willing to destroy an American company and good jobs for its members to hold onto power. Good luck to them finding better paying jobs in Obama's economy.
Inquiring Mind

Brighton, MI

#19 Nov 17, 2012
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>and you have no problem with

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/13/4983174/host...

"Over the past eight years since the first Hostess bankruptcy, BCTGM members have watched as money from previous concessions that was supposed to go towards capital investment, product development, plant improvement and new equipment, was squandered in executive bonuses, payouts to Wall Street investors and payments to high-priced attorneys and consultants.

BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256."

and the best company offer?

"In fact, according to the company's 1113 filing with the bankruptcy court earlier this year as well as its last/best/final and non-negotiable proposal to its BCTGM-represented workers, the company was planning to close at least nine bakeries as part of its reorganization plan, although the company refused to disclose which bakeries it intended to close. This is in addition to the three bakeries that were to be closed as a result of the company's planned sale of its Merita division.

Moreover, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was quoted in a November 13 KMOX-CBS St. Louis article stating, "I was told months ago they were planning on closing the site in St. LouisÂ… And there was no indication at that time it had anything to do with the strike the workers were waging."

the management of the company is taking steps to curtail costs by increasing their pay to keep the business going?
how does that logic work?

the workers take concessions and the CEO gets a bigger paycheck?
while the CEO tanks the company?
Not defending that. Bad business management also puts companies out of business. But that's between the stockholders, the Board of Directors, and the IRS and SEC if laws were broken. THEY are the owners of the company, not the union or its employees. If the employees or union want to start a confectionery baking company to compete with Hostess and other brands, they are free to do so. And they are free to pay their workers as much as they want. Should be easy, just ask TastyKake.
JJJ

Emmaus, PA

#20 Nov 17, 2012
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG. The top 1% own 40% of the nation's wealth. Stop spreading lies with your ignorance. They also pay over 70% of ALL federal income taxes.
http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/top10-p...
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/03/3...
Just to fix some data from those links you posted, the top 1% own 40% of the nations wealth, but only pay 36% of the taxes, so they're actually making out pretty well.

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income...

It doesn't get to the 70% mark until you hit the top 10% and that accounts for 74% of the nation's wealth. So they're making out pretty well too.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33433.pdf

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Dance School (Jun '13) 4 hr Qtown 89
Goddard School QT (May '10) 5 hr notahappymom 31
re max 440 (Jul '08) Sep 19 Disgusted 88
Paul Stepanoff Needs to be Removed NOW! (Jul '14) Sep 18 Mr Speedo 230
Tim Arnold Sep 17 Trey Gowdy 5
We need a planet fitness (Jan '14) Sep 17 me 20
News Lehigh Valley area church events: In Your Congr... Sep 15 weapon X 33

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance