Libby

Quakertown, PA

#41 Oct 28, 2009
I was wrong.

Hubby said the glass house and ghost mountain were in the same location (somewhere on Roundhouse Road.) He said the glass house basement was filled with blood (woo ha ha grrr.) He remembers driving up there and if you were there when it was dusk with stormy, every time the lightening flashed, you could see a man hanging from a noose from one of the old trees surrounding the house.

Gallows Hill was the massacre of the indians and they were mad (after death) and still haunt the place.
ILuvBucks

Los Angeles, CA

#42 Oct 28, 2009
Libby wrote:
I have also been to the top of Haycock Mountain - many times. It's really cool. Huge boulders (left over from the last retreating glaciers of the ice age, same as Ringing Rocks or Stoney Garden (on Stoney Garden Road.) The boulders are tumbled over and on each other creating caves and the locals have spray painted them in a very indian painting I was here way. In the winter (with no leaves on the trees)there is a terrific view of the lake.
This is Top Rock Trail? My friend told me about this...
stories about Indian ghosts, glowing red eyes...Says you
get a creepy, disorientated feeling up there.
Libby

Quakertown, PA

#43 Oct 28, 2009
Yes. Top Rock Trail. Turn onto Top Rock and before the turn to the right is a parking lot on the left. Part of the state game lands parking. The trail head is there. Go now (when the rains stop) not in the summer. Too much poison ivy.
I touched the glass house

Spring City, PA

#44 Oct 29, 2009
The "glass house" is on Springhouse Lane. You can get there from either Knects Bridge Rd or Township Rd. I don't think you can see the house from the road but there is a large iron gate at the end of the driveway. A very long time ago a friend and I walked around the gate and up the driveway to the house and touched it, just to say we did. There was nothing special about it, it's just a house with a lot of windows.
Glass Huose Visitor

Emmaus, PA

#45 Oct 30, 2009
I also saw the glass house many years ago.I was with a friend who had a Dodge pick-up.He spotted an opening in the trees along Springhouse Lane and drove through it.We drove up the lawn and actually DROVE around the house.We were cruising around the flower beds,shrubbery and all when suddenly a bunch of lights went on.He panicked and floored his truck.We kind of turfed up the lawn,and headed back to where we came in,but couldn't quite find the spot.He rammed it through the trees the best he could and we took off.His truck was pretty banged up from the ordeal,but that's what happens when two young guys are out boozing and cruising.Like some of the others said,it was just a fairly big house with some large windows.The grounds around it were impressive though,and we saw it all.
Best Thread in Months

Quakertown, PA

#46 Oct 31, 2009
Anyone see the Intel article about Ghost stories in Perkasie?

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_int...

I forgot about the story of the Perkasie Tunnel. Except we used to tell it that it was a Headless Engineer. The story was that the railroad added an additional line of track to the tunnel placing the rails much closer to the tunnel walls. An engineer who was once familiar with the branch line but hadn't been assigned to it for years was substituting for another engineer. Before the Steam Locomotive had a chance to fill the tunnel with soot the unsuspecting engineer stuck his head out of the window to get a gasp of fresh air as he entered the tunnel and... well you can figure it out. So now his severed coconut cannot leave the tunnel until it finds a suitable torso to connect up with.

We used to walk the tunnel as teenagers and try to scare any newcomers with the story. It's pretty creepy in the tunnel. The walls are jagged, rough cut stone. The tunnel is curved and about a half mile long so you can't see both ends at once from inside. It's a good run to get out when your in the center.

It's refreshing to find a non-politcal, light hearted thread on Q'town Topix. Thanks to all
ILuvBucks

Studio City, CA

#47 Oct 31, 2009
Thanks for bringing up the Perkaisie Tunnel
topic, I've read about that too, interesting
stuff. Found a few sites with creepy photos
'round the net.

I love this thread too, Thanks for sharing your
stories!
ILuvBucks

Studio City, CA

#48 Oct 31, 2009
The Perkaisie Tunnel is mentioned on this
site, which is really fun to read,
Creepy Places in Pennsylvania:

http://www.creepypa.info/perkasietunnelstory....
PAcheryl

Sellersville, PA

#49 Nov 1, 2009
ILuvBucks wrote:
The Perkaisie Tunnel is mentioned on this
site, which is really fun to read,
Creepy Places in Pennsylvania:
http://www.creepypa.info/perkasietunnelstory....
Wow, I'm originally from Quakertown but have lived in Perkasie(East Rockhill) for the past 32 years and have never heard this story...
qtownlocal

Quakertown, PA

#50 Nov 8, 2009
I have lived in quakertown my whole life. There is most ceren a glass house there. My father is a stone mason and he did work for the owners there. My parents used to go to ghost mountain as kids. Awesome place and the lady that lives in the glass house is very sweet.
rlewis

Philadelphia, PA

#51 Nov 26, 2009
ive been to ghost mountian only twice...so far. we i went me and my friends were in a black nissan maxima. we sat in the bridge for atleast an hour we would ask questions and ask for responses by knockin and we did feel knockin from underneath the car. there was something messin wit the gear shift from under neath the car and we did see black figures and we felt cold drafts. shits legit!! so fun to do. i love goin there
Libby

Quakertown, PA

#52 Dec 30, 2009
Okay. So this week I drove up to ghost mountain and spoke to a lot of "old timers" about this myth.

Here's what I learned.

1 - Glass House - Awesome. Great house. Shaped like a bi-plane. Very cool. All glass facing the valley. Great valley view. A friend works for the family and has restored a couple of the out buildings, barns, greenhouses etc. The house was built in the 60's with cash from an o-ring patent (not the space program o-rings, but some other application.) The myth about albinos started with some kids pestering the owners privacy, the owner (an old woman with white hair) chased them away, hence the albinos living there. They did not eat humans. Very interesting property. I want inside. The friend I was referencing said the house was built with inferior materials and needed massive work to refurbish. Yes, gates etc. to keep out the curious. Still a nice Sunday drive and a nice pursuit for the interested.

2 - The "ghost" was on Gallows Hill Road. The story goes that a farmer in the late 1700's had a barn burn down. It was all he had a his family fortune and livleyhood and with the barn gone to ash he had nothing. He hung himself from an Chestnut Tree overhanging the road (Chestnuts are not longer around a blight destroyed them.) Some say it was an Oak tree. Nonetheless, he hung himself over the road near the cemetery of the old Indian burial at the old church near the sharp bend on the uphill. The cemetery is still there. Old head stones. Also a very cool thing to check out. I can see where the hanger must have been.

3 - We stopped on the Kneck's Covered Bridge and turned off our engine, honked three times and tried to turn the car back on - OH NO! wouldn't start, only kidding, nothing happened that day or the next. But it was fun.

4 - There are a lot of root cellars along that road. No corpses though. One cellar actually had a sign saying "this is an old root cellar to store vegetables, there is nothing in here now."

We found the entire outing super fun.

We also followed old rumor and found something called Dannellville. An old Irish colony (very poor) on the knee of Little Haycock Mountain. Wish something was still there. Haycock Historical Society has an old photo of one of the cabins. Long gome and near the old Stony Garden for which the road is named.

This was such fun. Searching down our local history and local rumors. There can't be a better way to waste a couple of hours and get in touch with a local community.

Try it and have some "scary" fun!
PAcheryl

Perkasie, PA

#53 Jan 1, 2010
Cool!!!
WEIRDOS

Quakertown, PA

#54 Jan 1, 2010
LASSIE!!!!!
class of 1975

Quakertown, PA

#55 Jan 2, 2010
Libby wrote:
Okay. So this week I drove up to ghost mountain and spoke to a lot of "old timers" about this myth.
Here's what I learned.
1 - Glass House - Awesome. Great house. Shaped like a bi-plane. Very cool. All glass facing the valley. Great valley view. A friend works for the family and has restored a couple of the out buildings, barns, greenhouses etc. The house was built in the 60's with cash from an o-ring patent (not the space program o-rings, but some other application.) The myth about albinos started with some kids pestering the owners privacy, the owner (an old woman with white hair) chased them away, hence the albinos living there. They did not eat humans. Very interesting property. I want inside. The friend I was referencing said the house was built with inferior materials and needed massive work to refurbish. Yes, gates etc. to keep out the curious. Still a nice Sunday drive and a nice pursuit for the interested.
2 - The "ghost" was on Gallows Hill Road. The story goes that a farmer in the late 1700's had a barn burn down. It was all he had a his family fortune and livleyhood and with the barn gone to ash he had nothing. He hung himself from an Chestnut Tree overhanging the road (Chestnuts are not longer around a blight destroyed them.) Some say it was an Oak tree. Nonetheless, he hung himself over the road near the cemetery of the old Indian burial at the old church near the sharp bend on the uphill. The cemetery is still there. Old head stones. Also a very cool thing to check out. I can see where the hanger must have been.
3 - We stopped on the Kneck's Covered Bridge and turned off our engine, honked three times and tried to turn the car back on - OH NO! wouldn't start, only kidding, nothing happened that day or the next. But it was fun.
4 - There are a lot of root cellars along that road. No corpses though. One cellar actually had a sign saying "this is an old root cellar to store vegetables, there is nothing in here now."
We found the entire outing super fun.
We also followed old rumor and found something called Dannellville. An old Irish colony (very poor) on the knee of Little Haycock Mountain. Wish something was still there. Haycock Historical Society has an old photo of one of the cabins. Long gome and near the old Stony Garden for which the road is named.
This was such fun. Searching down our local history and local rumors. There can't be a better way to waste a couple of hours and get in touch with a local community.
Try it and have some "scary" fun!
I remember going up there with a car load of friends and going in the covered bridge honking the horn and tearing out of there thinking the road on the bridge was going to fall in,they also used to say there were albinos up in the rafters of the bridge.We used to always scare someone up there in our car of friends.The good old carefree days.Wasn't the glass house called Ka Serah,Serah(not sure how it is spelled
class of 1975

Quakertown, PA

#56 Jan 2, 2010
PAcheryl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey your welcome, I am amazed how many post came from starting this thread... It renewed my interest in the the Quakertown Forum...
Wish others would post some old fun stuff about Quakertown from the past, possibly stuff like Smittys Drive-In... The old Drive-In Movies; where my parents use to take me in my Pj's, when I was little in my Dad's convertible... Myers Restaurant, etc...
I remember going to the drive-in movies with my brothers and friends and watching the movies and the next thing you would see a streaker that was when streaking was a fad,they would streak through the parking lot and we all laugh like crazy.Also guys would be drag racing down the 309and you couls see it from the drive-ins.Does anyone remember the name of the dance place where Quakertown Auto is?This is definitely memory lane for me.Good old days!!
PAcheryl

Perkasie, PA

#57 Jan 2, 2010
King Arthur's Court... It was one of my hangouts... Anybody else remember it...
Objectionist

Easton, PA

#58 Jan 3, 2010
A friend of mine actually grew up on Ghost Mountain. His Step-Dad had the "car farm" up there, so I spent a bit of time stomping around there myself.

As to the glass house, I have been in it. It was a very interesting passive solar design, much of it built in concrete, with a lot of neat "open plan" features that made being inside it quite interested. Like a stream in the middle of the house, among other things.

In a couple of cases the "Albinos" that would come screaming onto the bridge when people honked their horn were me and my friend, bored, and with not much to do on a Saturday night.:)
Objectionist

Easton, PA

#59 Jan 3, 2010
Other Quakertown/local memories:

Starlight Drive-In (where Trainer's Corner is now) used to have a small gauge train that ran around the outside perimeter. I can clearly remember riding it before seeing "Freaky Friday" (the original) there.

Trainer's, before the fires. My Grandmother used to take me there for seafood.(no car seats then. No seatbelts, either).

Mr D's, where AmFam is now. I'm not quite old enough to remember when it was a car-hop drive in, but I do remember eating there.(Then it was a HoJo, now AmFam).

Driftwood Drive-In where Wendy's (I think?) is now in Coopersburg.

309 in Quakertown being listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for most restaurants in some division of a mile. I think it started where Pep Boys is now and ended at Mr D's. You couldn't swing a cat along that part of 309 without hitting a restaurant.

Meyer's, of course, and the Farmer's Market about 1/4 mile down and across the road. But those are recent casualties.

Q-Mart with dirt floors.

Not sure if it's still that way or not, but Sine's with the amazing model displays in the windows, and the model trains running all over the store.

And, probably the neatest: When they moved the house which is now behind the shopping center (which used to be the LaneCo with the big arch and beads), from down 309 on flatbed trucks. Hard to move a stone farmhouse, but they did it!

Oh, and the Chessie Steam Special/American Freedom Train running through Quakertown on it's way to the Bethlehem shops/roundhouse for a refit, and back out again. which would have been.. 76 or 77?
NotZKM

Quakertown, PA

#60 Jan 3, 2010
The Starlight Drive-in became Budco Cinemas, and when the drive in closed, they moved to the Country Square Shopping Center. It later became an AMC theater, then a $2 theater before it finally closed a few years back.

Trainer's did have the BEST seafood in the area...bar none.

Mr. D's is where Qtown Family Restaurant is now. It was Smitty's when it was the drive in. Carmen's is where the adult book store is and the Sweetheart Shoppe is where Lee's is now.

Qtown made the Guiness Book in 1973. Amazing, isn't it?

In the Plaza Shopping Center, before Food Lane, it was originally Food Fresh...remember that!?

The Driftwood in Coopersburg is where Burger King is now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vaccine pros and cons: Palmerton mother... 1 hr Unbelievable 73
Richland Township Police's... Matthew Lawhead 5 hr Public Record 1
Review : Fyre Body Arts (Nov '10) Sat Phoenix55 15
How can you tell if a nudist is transgender? Sat Joe Mayflower 1
Bucks County News Feed (May '14) Sat Lookinthemirror 104
local raw honey on 663 (May '14) Sat In the Know 30
Trader Joes Feb 27 Qtownwoman 1

Quakertown News Video

Quakertown Dating
Find my Match