Levy School Bus Driver
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
give em a break

Broomall, PA

#21 Mar 5, 2011
You are seeing only a few drivers-don't generalize. Get a bus # & then call the bus company.
Just Sayin

Center Valley, PA

#22 Mar 5, 2011
Wondering if the people complaining here are the same mom, drivers I see talking on the cell phone while jr. is in the back seat?
concerned parent

Wilmington, DE

#23 Mar 7, 2011
This is great to know, my son will be riding the bus in September. Now, I wish he didn't have to.
ohdear

Egg Harbor City, NJ

#24 Mar 7, 2011
I have achieved results by calling the school district after seeing a driver smoke on the bus!

In this case I suggest people video each of these maniac drivers and collect the videos so they can be emailed to a Philadelphia news station or even better all of them.

They will eat it up!!! It's the only way to accomplish something.
Retired driver

Detroit, MI

#25 Mar 8, 2011
First, walk a mile in the drivers shoes........
Clearly some of the drivers leave alot to be desired, however, the bus co.'s nor the school district's really care. There bottom line is cost/money. The bus drivers are paid per run, not per hour. Therefore, the run is scheduled for as few minutes as possible.....keeping down the cost as well as making it necessary for the drivers to "fly." If you drive longer than the alloted time frame, you do not get paid any extra. It's on you! Also, when driving more than one run, which most drivers do......they need to be somewhere else at a specific time......they aren't given much time to do so. Again, some of the drivers are not desireable, but I believe the fault lies within the bus co. and the salaries negotiated with the school district. Bus drivers have a huge responsiblity to transport precious cargo......they are way underpaid.......but who really cares about that?
give em a break

Broomall, PA

#26 Mar 8, 2011
Ha Ha- you people have no idea!Its easy to critize until you try it.
Nuts

Quakertown, PA

#27 Mar 8, 2011
give em a break wrote:
Ha Ha- you people have no idea!Its easy to critize until you try it.
Wow really?! Give em a break? They are transporting KIDS! So be because they have a hard, stressful job, it's ok for them to run lights, blow stop signs, talk on cell phones, smoke and who knows whatever else? Remember the local driver about a year or so ago that was blowing thru stop sign after stop sign and ended up turning in front of a car and killed the person? You are saying that's ok because the job is hard? Are you going to say the same thing when this driver hits you? WACKO!
Agree

Quakertown, PA

#28 Mar 8, 2011
ohdear wrote:
I have achieved results by calling the school district after seeing a driver smoke on the bus!
In this case I suggest people video each of these maniac drivers and collect the videos so they can be emailed to a Philadelphia news station or even better all of them.
They will eat it up!!! It's the only way to accomplish something.
I def agree! Calling probably won't do anything....in one ear and out the other. I would def video tape it and if you get no where with the phone calls, then send the videos to NBC. I sent them something a few years ago and they acted on it immediately. I think they would love this kind of story!
give em a break

Broomall, PA

#29 Mar 9, 2011
Just don't generalize! They aren't all bad. They are better trained than the general population-when is the last time you called & complained about someone in a car blowing a stop sign, or talking on a cell phone. I'm not saying it is ok- but make sure that your driving is beyond reproach before you critisize others. if you feel so strongly about the driver who is driving your kid, drive 'em yourself, I'm sure the driver would appreciate it.
Quakertown Student

Quakertown, PA

#30 Mar 10, 2011
I take the bus almost every morning and afternoon and one week i counted that my bus driver ran 5 red lights that week. She drives from the neighborhood near dairy queen to the high school and almost kills us in the process. But she is also having husband problems but doesnt mean she has to take it out on us and endanger us.
greta

Quakertown, PA

#31 Mar 10, 2011
listen if you see a problem... call the school district complain... then make sure you have your facts right because there are some drivers who are exceptional.. and do their job very well.. dont lump a few bad apples in with the whole bunch... it is a very hard job..and there are some that are totally dedicated to driving children safely...
JFK

Broomall, PA

#32 Mar 10, 2011
greta wrote:
listen if you see a problem... call the school district complain... then make sure you have your facts right because there are some drivers who are exceptional.. and do their job very well.. dont lump a few bad apples in with the whole bunch... it is a very hard job..and there are some that are totally dedicated to driving children safely...
Just an observation. When I was a kid, the bus drivers were all men. Usually Farmers or other self employed men who could fit the bus runs in their work schedule.
They usally had lots of truck driving experience. They could, and would, install tire chains on the bus on snow days. There were a few that had a reputation for driving fast, but the nature of drivers was different back then. You just DID'NT run red lights or stop signs. People generally drove in a respectful manner. I know you young people won't believe this but NOBODY had a cell phone!,(what a world!). Times have changed. As there were fewer farmers, the "housewife" phased into the job. Prior to bus driving, most women never drove a truck,( my mother never even had a drivers license, no kidding!).
People now days are absolutely self-consumed and rude when they get behind the wheel. And yes, it is a truck chassis with a "kid hauler" body on it. Guess I'm an old fuddy dud that disrespects womens rights and can't appreciate change. Go head and blast me now. Just an observation. P.S. It didn't take very long to get to the old fuddy-dud point. Where the h#ll did all those years go?
Call

Quakertown, PA

#33 Mar 10, 2011
Quakertown Student wrote:
I take the bus almost every morning and afternoon and one week i counted that my bus driver ran 5 red lights that week. She drives from the neighborhood near dairy queen to the high school and almost kills us in the process. But she is also having husband problems but doesnt mean she has to take it out on us and endanger us.
You or your parents need to report this asap!
Use to drive bus

Emmaus, PA

#34 May 11, 2012
I know this is an old post but couldn't resist after reading some of the comments. First off you say the driver was speeding up to 45 mph on allentown rd and the speed limit is 25 that is wrong because as soon as allentown rd crosses 663 the speed limit is 40 but I am also unsure how you would know how fast the bus was going since you were sitting at the light. Do you carry a radar gun with you? Second you stated the light turned red while the bus was in the process of making the left turn so by that statement you are saying the bus began the turn when the light was yellow which is not illegal. If the buses didn't turn on yellow light there, then they would never get the opportunity to turn since that road is always busy in the morning and then there would be posts on here about the buses running late to pick up the kids so bus drivers can't win either way. The real problem is that there should be a left turn signal at 663 and allentown rd and then you can complain about how much longer you have to sit at the light.
Scary

Newtown Square, PA

#35 May 12, 2012
Levy bus driver caused the accident on Hamilton Blvd @ I-78 after leaving Dorney Park w/ Pennridge 9th graders Friday, 5/11/12 around 6pm.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story...
Thankless Job

Newtown Square, PA

#36 Aug 22, 2012
give em a break wrote:
Bus driving is a thankless job-no one is ever satisfied. Get your CDL & give it a try see how you do dealing with screaming moms & kids everyday.
Although I'm sure it IS a "thankless job", it doesn't change the fact that a person who applies for a job driving a school bus is well aware that the word "school" implies they will be working with and driving children. They CHOOSE to drive school buses and CHOOSE to work with children. They are not required to drive kids around if they don't like them or the benefits/negatives of the job.
More importantly, those "screaming moms" you mention are also performing a "thankless job" every day except WITHOUT pay and are trusting YOU as the bus driver to merely follow the laws regarding safe driving practices and ensure the safe delivery of our children to and from school. That's it. That's the description of the job you (as bus drivers) are choosing to perform.
Even if driving children to school was a volunteer, unpaid position...there is NO EXCUSE for endangering anyone's children with unsafe driving practices, violating speed limits and road signs, ignoring road conditions, and driving in a manner that is inconsistent with the safety of the children on board.
Bus drivers who can't and won't follow the laws of driving and/or the policies of the company they are employed through deserve to get the maximum punishment allowed for these types of infractions. They also deserve to be terminated, retrained or whatever is necessary to adhere to the guidelines. Of course the bus company themselves is also deserving of punishment for not enforcing these policies, failing to properly test and enforce safe-driving practices, and maintain safety of the kids.
And on a personal note, I know a bus-driver or two and I was under the impression they typically start around $12.00 minimum to drive school buses. Last I checked, there are tons of people out there making minimum wage to shovel animal poop, work at stores and restaurants, and sweat in the sun who would be HAPPY to make that wage at such a "thankless" job.
Welcome to the real world where employers aren't really appreciative of their workers at 9 out of 10 jobs available out there. Sorry, but it's NO EXCUSE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
QCSD Board Members 10 hr Good as Gone 13
Can I walk my dog on school property? (Sep '13) 18 hr Tax Guy 21
Explosions in Milford!? Wed Jumpinjohie24 4
Ghost Walks on Main in Quakertown starts third ... (Jun '09) Tue Ghostwhisper 19
Trainer's Lobster..... where did it go??? (Aug '13) Apr 23 Plane 33
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Apr 21 JRM 785
Danny Kline Apr 15 LostSister 1

Quakertown Jobs

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages