Quakertown Free Press
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
qtownresident

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 27, 2010
First off, this paper seems to be most certainly dead. There have not been issues published in months now, and I wouldn't be surprised if any small reader base they had has already forgotten about this sad excuse for a paper. Besides the obviously lameness of usually using recycled AP and Morning Call articles, here are a few reasons I urge everyone in the area to NOT support this newspaper if they somehow begin putting issues out again (publisher Mark Berry laughingly thinks his paper can be a success whenever he decides to start publishing again).

-Mark Berry has very big issues with paying employees. He has already been sued by a former employee for unpaid wages, and does his best to short his other employees whenever possible. He has also had issues honoring payments to his printing company.

-As stated, this paper does not have any interest in being the small local paper it needs to be. Using AP and MC articles shows the lack of interest they have in the small town issues we are all looking for coverage on. Don't let this paper fool you into thinking it is the Free Press of old.

-Besides being overly arrogant on paying employees, Berry has a total lack of respect for the people in the Quakertown area. He has a knack for making fun of this area and it's residents...whether it is referring to us in insulting ways, or simply making fun of a town he refers to as a POS dump more or less.(It is worth noting that he is from, and still lives in, New Jersey. I think we can all agree that that whole state is pretty much one big dump.) I myself have heard him mock area residents on multiple occasions.

-They display a disrespect to their advertisers, who are mostly our local small businesses. These locally owned companies are already struggling, and probably jumped on the chance of an upstart paper providing some good local exposure. Instead, by signing deals with the Free Press, they were rewarded with about FOUR issues coming out all summer. The Free Press obviously has no problem disrespecting these local establishments.

Long story short, this paper is not in the best interest of the area. Hopefully it stays where it has been all summer...in the ground...but if not, the things I've spelled out already should be more than enough to keep anyone truly invested in Quakertown away from this paper. Hopefully a REAL local newspaper can fill this void we have had.

--A former employee
FionaMcManus

Southfield, MI

#2 Sep 27, 2010
one thing i used to like about it was the big write ups they would do on high school athletes. they wouldnt just have my times and place, they would interview the coach and take a whole photo shoot. but that was 97 dont read it anymore
DownWithVerifiab leSources

Hatfield, PA

#3 Sep 27, 2010
Keep a good thought!

Politically motivated publishers of local free give-aways and actual newspapers with boards, editors and transparency should always be avoided and fought because they might offend some of the local politicians and the wannabees who want or aspired to those positions.

It is in the best interest of all locals to avoid any hint of a "free press" that might possibly in any way publish anything even slightly negative about our local politicians, candidates for those positions, school board members past and present, school administration, fire companies, Quakertown Alive and other such groups, ethnic business persons, and anything else the anonymous folks who start and depend upon these threads don't like.

Fight the free flow of all information except our own anonymous gems of wisdom!!
ripoff

Avalon, NJ

#4 Sep 27, 2010
I understand how the media industry is failing and the need for some income is more important than ever to these papers...but calling it the "Free Press" and charging 50 cents for it at the same time is pretty stupid. Yeah, its only 50 cents...but if you're gonna charge, change the name of the paper. Doesn't matter either way, anytime i've read that paper it was shit anyways.
DownWithVerifiab leSources

Hatfield, PA

#5 Sep 27, 2010
"ripoff"= you get what you pay for.

A rag financed by politicians to promote their agenda and offered to the public for no charge is worth what they charge.

The original QT Free Press charged for the newspaper for over 100 years.

If you believe the local QCSD is doing a credible job then the citizens can read what they pay for and decide to continue to so do or stop. What's with trying to discourage people from reading ANY source of information and then making up their own minds to believe what they read - or not?
duckbill

Mount Morris, MI

#6 Sep 27, 2010
The rage of a former employee erupts on topix once again.
Funny, he used to hide behind a christmas tree in the QFP office, because he didn't want the public to see him sleeping at his desk, watching netflix or playing solitare. Now he hides behind anonymous monikers on topix.
Just wondering why was he fired. Maybe qtownresident can enlighten us.
LiesLiesMoreLies

Quakertown, PA

#7 Sep 27, 2010
DownWithVerifiableSources wrote:
"ripoff"= you get what you pay for.
A rag financed by politicians to promote their agenda and offered to the public for no charge is worth what they charge.
The original QT Free Press charged for the newspaper for over 100 years.
If you believe the local QCSD is doing a credible job then the citizens can read what they pay for and decide to continue to so do or stop. What's with trying to discourage people from reading ANY source of information and then making up their own minds to believe what they read - or not?
A "rag financed by politicians to promote their agenda" should read "a rag financed by a non-local businessman / child molester to promote slug politicians for his own agenda" sounds more like what the Gazette was.

Isn't that right, Richard????

You're sour grapes have really spoiled. You were cast out of the local publishing arena because people saw right through you...and now, you just can't stand it.
LiesLiesMoreLies

Quakertown, PA

#8 Sep 27, 2010
qtownresident wrote:
First off, this paper seems to be most certainly dead. There have not been issues published in months now, and I wouldn't be surprised if any small reader base they had has already forgotten about this sad excuse for a paper. Besides the obviously lameness of usually using recycled AP and Morning Call articles, here are a few reasons I urge everyone in the area to NOT support this newspaper if they somehow begin putting issues out again (publisher Mark Berry laughingly thinks his paper can be a success whenever he decides to start publishing again).
-Mark Berry has very big issues with paying employees. He has already been sued by a former employee for unpaid wages, and does his best to short his other employees whenever possible. He has also had issues honoring payments to his printing company.
-As stated, this paper does not have any interest in being the small local paper it needs to be. Using AP and MC articles shows the lack of interest they have in the small town issues we are all looking for coverage on. Don't let this paper fool you into thinking it is the Free Press of old.
-Besides being overly arrogant on paying employees, Berry has a total lack of respect for the people in the Quakertown area. He has a knack for making fun of this area and it's residents...whether it is referring to us in insulting ways, or simply making fun of a town he refers to as a POS dump more or less.(It is worth noting that he is from, and still lives in, New Jersey. I think we can all agree that that whole state is pretty much one big dump.) I myself have heard him mock area residents on multiple occasions.
-They display a disrespect to their advertisers, who are mostly our local small businesses. These locally owned companies are already struggling, and probably jumped on the chance of an upstart paper providing some good local exposure. Instead, by signing deals with the Free Press, they were rewarded with about FOUR issues coming out all summer. The Free Press obviously has no problem disrespecting these local establishments.
Long story short, this paper is not in the best interest of the area. Hopefully it stays where it has been all summer...in the ground...but if not, the things I've spelled out already should be more than enough to keep anyone truly invested in Quakertown away from this paper. Hopefully a REAL local newspaper can fill this void we have had.
--A former employee
Randy, you made your deal with the devil. Live with it. You've become Quakertown's own Faust.
quakertownreside nt

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Sep 28, 2010
LiesLiesMoreLies wrote:
<quoted text>Randy, you made your deal with the devil. Live with it. You've become Quakertown's own Faust.
haha, this isn't Randy, honestly.
Quite Funny

Roseland, NJ

#10 Sep 28, 2010
yeah, wasnt amy a former employee? LMAO
Local

Quakertown, PA

#11 Sep 28, 2010
Quite Funny wrote:
yeah, wasnt amy a former employee? LMAO
No.

1. She was never an employee, just a freelancer.

2. Wrong Free Press. She goes back to the Jim Webb days when Journal Register owned it. The paper this thread refers to is the one run by Mark Barry.
JealousyGetsUNow here

Quakertown, PA

#13 Sep 28, 2010
TheSagaOfTheFreePress wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the "amy" you refer to the Amy Zowniriw who was a former stringer for the former Quakertown Free Press newspaper when it was still an operating newspaper with a board of directors, an independent editorial board, editors who fact checked articles, independent opinion writers,paid reporters, and the other trappings of a newspaper that required the readers to pay to read it?
Do readers here need to revisit the introspective essay she wrote on their mikezforsupervisor website lamenting her firing from the former Free Press for manipulating her editor into publishing a puff piece about (the new hearing aide advocate editorialist on the new U. B. Free Press) Patrick Murphy rather than reporting that he'd been fired?
The "Saga of the Free Press" was a classic on these anonymous threads! Need we revisit those poignent Amy Zowniriw laments about
her good old days at the former Free Press?
At the very least, any readers with kids should remind them constantly that what is on the web NEVER disappears.
The latest attempt by Murphy and his friends to exact retibution against the former Free Press staff, the dreaded opinion columnist who wrote about them, and the citizens they hold in contempt for voting against them should surely also be read with a knowledge of, who is writing,publishing, and why.
The new, politically and personally motivated U.B.Free Press should be appreciated for its listings of community events and read with a critical eye as to the other pap.
Boo hoo! My name is Richard Woldow and no one will print my column so I whine like a baby that a local businessman started up a successful paper and he won't let me print my hate column!!!

Boo Hoo!!!!!!

Dry up, Dick.
makes sense

Avalon, NJ

#18 Sep 30, 2010
Makes sense that the owner or editor or whatever this Mark dude is is as big of a POS as the paper they put out. Good riddance FP.
SadSadSad

Wayne, PA

#19 Oct 1, 2010
It always goes back to Richard Woldow.
Facts be ignored!
Website entries be ignored!
Newspaper archives be ignored!
Are you never embarrased by your personal obsession with Richard Woldow?
What say you as to the sad tale of the Saga of the Free Press?
Of course, you are not Amy Zowniriw and you, of course, haven't a hint as to what she did
and what the results were. Her manipulation of the reality that reached the public via the QFP is not unlike what is now occurring.
As I wrote- I appreciate the listing of current events available to the public for no charge here on the internet. Thanks U.B.Free Press Betz et al for provinging that.
The political motivations of those willing to provide locals with information about upcoming events should be given a heads-up and kudos!
Readers and advertizers should be aware of the history behind the rest the reason the rag contains only feel good articles.
Proof? Read the on-line kudos to the QCSD folks wthout any mention of what else occurred at the QCSD Board meeting.
You obsessively use the argument that facts are ignored. One has only to read through your extended history on this website to see that you are throwing stones from your glass house. You challenge people to debate you then shrink to throwing insults and innuendo when challenged. Everyone on this site can see this but you. You can fill your life with extravagant trips but in the end you just seem sad and lonely.
Randy Kraft

Emmaus, PA

#20 Feb 4, 2011
Just accidentally stumbled on this site.

Is that me who has become Quakertown's own Faust?

How many people have the luxury of picking their own bosses when they get hired for a job? Must be nice....

And is this also directed at me: "He used to hide behind a christmas tree in the QFP office, because he didn't want the public to see him sleeping at his desk, watching netflix or playing solitare. Now he hides behind anonymous monikers on topix"?

Just for the record, this is the first time I'm writing anything on this site. And I would not do so without using my real name.

Because the above entry was posted way back in September and I was the only fulltime employee regularly working in the office at the time, I suppose I was the one hiding behind the Christmas tree in December '09.

I wasn't hiding from anyone. I put the tree there so people could enjoy it through the glass door when they entered the building and came down the hall. I certainly wasn't hiding from the frustrated folks who came into the office week after week to ask where the paper was. For the last four weeks I worked there,I had no idea where the paper was. The publisher insisted it had been distributed in town, but he did not leave even a single copy in the office, so I never saw it.

On Jan. 26, 2010, the day I was permanently "laid off for financial reasons" (not my phrase) I had about 30 articles still waiting to run, plus countless photographs. Later I learned some of those articles ran up to six months later, when the paper briefly restarted in spring or summer.
I wrote an interview with Sen. Mench, for example, that was supposed to run at the start of 2010. It finally ran in May or June. I wrote many other articles that already were months old when I left and may have been wasted completely.

I was sorry to say goodbye to the Quakertown area. I made a number of new friends working in and around town and I really was excited about the newspaper becoming part of the community. It finally made some real improvements in December 2009, just before it disappeared.

People in that community are hungry for a legitimate news product that will give them objective and in-depth local news they can't get anywhere else. I had hoped to be involved in helping make that happen for many years.

-Randy Kraft
former regional editor (also not my choice of title)
Quakertown Free Press aka The Gazette
WrongAgainDamIt

Quakertown, PA

#21 Feb 4, 2011
<quoted text>
Is the "amy" you refer to the Amy Zowniriw who was a former stringer for the former Quakertown Free Press newspaper when it was still an operating newspaper with a board of directors, an independent editorial board, editors who fact checked articles, independent opinion writers,paid reporters, and the other trappings of a newspaper that required the readers to pay to read it?
Do readers here need to revisit the introspective essay she wrote on their mikezforsupervisor website lamenting her firing from the former Free Press for manipulating her editor into publishing a puff piece about (the new hearing aide advocate editorialist on the new U. B. Free Press) Patrick Murphy rather than reporting that he'd been fired?
The "Saga of the Free Press" was a classic on these anonymous threads! Need we revisit those poignent Amy Zowniriw laments about
At the very least, any readers with kids should remind them constantly that what is on the web NEVER disappears.
The latest attempt by Murphy and his friends to exact retibution against the former Free Press staff, the dreaded opinion columnist who wrote about them, and the citizens they hold in contempt for voting against them should surely also be read with a knowledge of, who is writing,publishing, and why.
The new, politically and personally motivated U.B.Free Press should be appreciated for its listings of community events and read with a critical eye as to the other pap.
Mrs. Z, never worked for the Quakertown Free Press.

Her firing from The Free Press as a stringer was because Lanita Lumthwacket had a hard on for her and gave her grief for not being 12 places at once.
Hmmmm

Quakertown, PA

#22 Feb 4, 2011
Randy Kraft wrote:
Just accidentally stumbled on this site.
Is that me who has become Quakertown's own Faust?
How many people have the luxury of picking their own bosses when they get hired for a job? Must be nice....
And is this also directed at me: "He used to hide behind a christmas tree in the QFP office, because he didn't want the public to see him sleeping at his desk, watching netflix or playing solitare. Now he hides behind anonymous monikers on topix"?
Just for the record, this is the first time I'm writing anything on this site. And I would not do so without using my real name.
Because the above entry was posted way back in September and I was the only fulltime employee regularly working in the office at the time, I suppose I was the one hiding behind the Christmas tree in December '09.
I wasn't hiding from anyone. I put the tree there so people could enjoy it through the glass door when they entered the building and came down the hall. I certainly wasn't hiding from the frustrated folks who came into the office week after week to ask where the paper was. For the last four weeks I worked there,I had no idea where the paper was. The publisher insisted it had been distributed in town, but he did not leave even a single copy in the office, so I never saw it.
On Jan. 26, 2010, the day I was permanently "laid off for financial reasons" (not my phrase) I had about 30 articles still waiting to run, plus countless photographs. Later I learned some of those articles ran up to six months later, when the paper briefly restarted in spring or summer.
I wrote an interview with Sen. Mench, for example, that was supposed to run at the start of 2010. It finally ran in May or June. I wrote many other articles that already were months old when I left and may have been wasted completely.
I was sorry to say goodbye to the Quakertown area. I made a number of new friends working in and around town and I really was excited about the newspaper becoming part of the community. It finally made some real improvements in December 2009, just before it disappeared.
People in that community are hungry for a legitimate news product that will give them objective and in-depth local news they can't get anywhere else. I had hoped to be involved in helping make that happen for many years.
-Randy Kraft
former regional editor (also not my choice of title)
Quakertown Free Press aka The Gazette
I have some knowledge of what you refer to, I feel bad for the business owners who were bilked out of thousands of advertising dollars ( paid up front ) whose ads never saw the light of day. I do believe this is some form of larceny. We do not need MB around here to demean the locals. We seem to be able to do it without his help! You did a good job , just a bad business model but again a job when you are paid is a job.
Randy Kraft

Emmaus, PA

#24 Feb 4, 2011
LanitasDust wrote:
Randy, I remember you saying that Lisa Andrejko was going to get you re-employed by the Quakertown Free Press. How did that work out?
Don't know who you are, but I never said any such thing. Unfortunately, Dr. Andrejko was not in a position to get me rehired at that newspaper. She was not exactly on Mr. Barry's favorite persons list. It was only at my insistence that coverage of the school board and school district was as balanced as I could make it during my brief tenure at the newspaper.-Randy
GidgetsPimp

Quakertown, PA

#25 Feb 4, 2011
<quoted text>
The puff piece was written and scheduled to print many weeks before the so called firing. The firing was not done at a regular session but a special session that was slightly under 24 hrs notice, and oh by the way they announced Cerami as chief at the same time. The fan the crap and the hiring/firing hit all at once.
It's little Rickie's way of doing the business of the township, lucky us.
2menEaHolz

Trenton, NJ

#26 Feb 5, 2011
GidgetsPimp wrote:
<quoted text>
The puff piece was written and scheduled to print many weeks before the so called firing. The firing was not done at a regular session but a special session that was slightly under 24 hrs notice, and oh by the way they announced Cerami as chief at the same time. The fan the crap and the hiring/firing hit all at once.
It's little Rickie's way of doing the business of the township, lucky us.
None of these aganda items were urgent enough to require a special session. The only reason there could possibly be for calling it was to intimidate Patrick Murphy (Richland Twps. Emergency Mgmt. Coordinator. Specifically because he used his first amendment right to sign Mike Zowniriw's petition to run for supervisor against the Orloffsky annointed Pat Keller. And in general to intimidate anyone opposing the status quo in Richland Twp.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sacred Heart Home Orphanage (May '07) 17 hr Nancy Slaughterer 159
Dry cleaners wow! Fri So what 10
News Students to be punished for hurling rocks, raci... Fri So what 19
Re-New Tires Feb 20 Kutty 1
Perkasie/Sellersville Fires (Sep '13) Feb 20 Its Time 6
Off-roading at the Brick Yard (by Heller Road) (Jun '15) Feb 20 Uncle Richard 12
Kumry Rd glass company Feb 18 BigD 2

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages