Quakertown woman killed in Bucks Coun...

Quakertown woman killed in Bucks County wreck, police report - UPDATE

There are 25 comments on the NJ.com story from Oct 18, 2013, titled Quakertown woman killed in Bucks County wreck, police report - UPDATE. In it, NJ.com reports that:

A 57-year-old Quakertown woman was killed in a Bucks County wreck Thursday evening, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NJ.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
resident

Perkasie, PA

#1 Oct 18, 2013
May she rest in peace.
Prayers to her family.
It also bugs me how people in shopping centers just walk right out in front of the oncoming cars without even looking to see if a car is coming. Just this AM it happened to me as a Mother on her cell phone with her child in the cart just walked out without even looking to see if it was OK to cross!
Joe

Easton, PA

#2 Oct 18, 2013
The basic design of a suburban shopping center demonstrates how far behind the US is in building modern infrastructure. Municipal boards across the nation approve outdated civil engineering designs that lead to accidents and ugly seas of asphalt.

Access roads into shopping centers should be no more than 100 feet from the stores entrance. This helps prevents people from being struck along with traffic accidents. Storefronts should have mandatory green space.

The number of parking spaces should be reduced to help encourage ride-sharing and the need for public transportation systems.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#3 Oct 18, 2013
Joe wrote:
The basic design of a suburban shopping center demonstrates how far behind the US is in building modern infrastructure. Municipal boards across the nation approve outdated civil engineering designs that lead to accidents and ugly seas of asphalt.
Access roads into shopping centers should be no more than 100 feet from the stores entrance. This helps prevents people from being struck along with traffic accidents. Storefronts should have mandatory green space.
The number of parking spaces should be reduced to help encourage ride-sharing and the need for public transportation systems.
Large shopping centers are restricted as to placement and number of parking spaces due to mandated requirements for the number of handicapped parking spaces required. Reducing the number of parking spaces would not encourage ride-sharing (for shopping??) and using public transportation (what public transportation?). It would just encourage people to shop elsewhere. And yes, people should be alert and watching out for cars - but it is the motorist's responsibility to be watching out for pedestrians.
PAT

Quakertown, PA

#4 Oct 18, 2013
What ever happened to look both ways if its clear, then you can cross Why do pedestrians have the right to just walk and the driver has to stop? Why are all of the safety rules and rules in general that got us this far falling by the way side....there are reasons for rules.
Joe

Easton, PA

#5 Oct 18, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>Large shopping centers are restricted as to placement and number of parking spaces due to mandated requirements for the number of handicapped parking spaces required. Reducing the number of parking spaces would not encourage ride-sharing (for shopping??) and using public transportation (what public transportation?). It would just encourage people to shop elsewhere. And yes, people should be alert and watching out for cars - but it is the motorist's responsibility to be watching out for pedestrians.
Zoning and planning codes need to be reformed to encourage ride-sharing.

The number of residents within the QCSD boundaries exceeds 50K. It's time to develop a regional public transit system to alleviate congestion.
Molly

Broomall, PA

#6 Oct 18, 2013
I dont know anyone who would want to ride with anyone else to work. I like to be on-time & it would bother me to be delayed by others.I leave early sometimes also.
insightray

Perkasie, PA

#7 Oct 18, 2013
PAT wrote:
What ever happened to look both ways if its clear, then you can cross Why do pedestrians have the right to just walk and the driver has to stop? Why are all of the safety rules and rules in general that got us this far falling by the way side....there are reasons for rules.
Look both ways went out after a proclamation that pedestrians have the right of way. I reckon we all have seen many examples of folks darting into the paths of oncoming cars because they think they have the right to do so. The laws of physics shall be abandoned
for real

Quakertown, PA

#8 Oct 18, 2013
The worst place for this is on Main St by McCooles . The run right in front of you and expect you to stop.

Sad to hear of the woman passing. It makes you wonder if she had her seat belt on could this tragedy have been less tragic.
Inquiring Mind

Allentown, PA

#9 Oct 18, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Zoning and planning codes need to be reformed to encourage ride-sharing.
The number of residents within the QCSD boundaries exceeds 50K. It's time to develop a regional public transit system to alleviate congestion.
I doubt any ride sharing scheme would work outside of Philly, but I have noticed how congested traffic can be on 309. It's even that way on weekends, so I'm not sure public transit would do much. People like to be in their own cars and the places they need to go aren't along a straight line or major highways.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#10 Oct 18, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Zoning and planning codes need to be reformed to encourage ride-sharing.
The number of residents within the QCSD boundaries exceeds 50K. It's time to develop a regional public transit system to alleviate congestion.
Kline, why don't you go play in traffic?
Okay

Broomall, PA

#11 Oct 18, 2013
This post was about a tragic accident. Not about "ride-sharing" and pedestrian rights.... A woman lost her life and a family is devastated.... People have assumed the worst ( she wasn't wearing a seat, on the phone, texting)... When can people stop giving their two cents and start accepting what actually happened? A woman is dead and people are hurting. Reach out and help rather than point fingers. Shame on so many of you.
Jim

Souderton, PA

#12 Oct 18, 2013
Okay wrote:
This post was about a tragic accident. Not about "ride-sharing" and pedestrian rights.... A woman lost her life and a family is devastated.... People have assumed the worst ( she wasn't wearing a seat, on the phone, texting)... When can people stop giving their two cents and start accepting what actually happened? A woman is dead and people are hurting. Reach out and help rather than point fingers. Shame on so many of you.
Don't be mad at the people posting. Topix brought this up for people to discuss and of course advertising. Topix doesn't care someone died they just care that we all play their game and read their adds.
Okay

Broomall, PA

#13 Oct 18, 2013
I'm not mad... Being mad would mean i cared how they felt... And I don't. They are insensitive to the families that will read this. Insensitive to the families who have been through this...and most important... Just downright assholes. I used to read this to find out about things in my community, but then I realized how it was all garbage.
Okay

Broomall, PA

#14 Oct 18, 2013
You're feeding into. It... Accepting what they do...we can flood the pages with good thoughts and vibes...I'll takes religion out of it( cause I know you'll somehow bring that in) accept who we are... Go back to kindergarten... What makes you happy? Why did you go to school? Did you love your teacher?(If not she wasn't me:)) what do you want do you when you grow up? I can look at everyone of my students and tell u what they are going to be. Why? Because I know them... From the second they walk into my classroom. I know what they will be... Not one of them will be failures because they all succeeded at something.... They came here to leArn and they did it.
for real

Quakertown, PA

#15 Oct 19, 2013
Okay wrote:
This post was about a tragic accident. Not about "ride-sharing" and pedestrian rights.... A woman lost her life and a family is devastated.... People have assumed the worst ( she wasn't wearing a seat, on the phone, texting)... When can people stop giving their two cents and start accepting what actually happened? A woman is dead and people are hurting. Reach out and help rather than point fingers. Shame on so many of you.
I offered my sadness. It said right in the article no seat belt was worn. That was not finger pointing! It was a statement that perhaps will make people think about buckling up before they get in a car. If one life can be saved from the lesson of a tragedy such as this then she is giving on even after her death.
You see parents of teens who die put the car on school property to teach a lesson. I always thought that was such a selfless thing to do.

Again I am saddened to hear of this tragedy.
hitcher

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Oct 19, 2013
Ok.. then they should have no problem staying off route 309.
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt any ride sharing scheme would work outside of Philly, but I have noticed how congested traffic can be on 309. It's even that way on weekends, so I'm not sure public transit would do much. People like to be in their own cars and the places they need to go aren't along a straight line or major highways.
Inquiring Mind

Strasburg, PA

#17 Oct 19, 2013
hitcher wrote:
Ok.. then they should have no problem staying off route 309.
<quoted text>
Sure, try that and let us know how it works out in your hovercraft. LOL
Richland Resident

Broomall, PA

#18 Oct 19, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Zoning and planning codes need to be reformed to encourage ride-sharing.
The number of residents within the QCSD boundaries exceeds 50K. It's time to develop a regional public transit system to alleviate congestion.
Congestion should have been alleviated by now. Richland has been sitting on state grant money to synchronize the lights on 309 for 13 years. There was another article recently about this recently, but as usual, Richland is behind the 8-ball.

Quakertown Borough had their ADA curb cuts installed a few years ago, but Richland is only getting around to it now. Once this is done, they are supposed to time all the lights.

If Qtown had it done, why didn't this township?

Answer: Piss poor leadership. Orloff has been using his long held position getting revenge on QCSD when he should have been directing the township staff to work on this. Typical selfish politician. As usual, the Township Times has its bi-annual QCSD attack op/ed for all to see, written by his chums.
Richland Resident

Broomall, PA

#19 Oct 19, 2013
Sorry..."now THAT Richland has been sitting..."

Can't type and talk on the phone at the same time.
AshamedToBHere

Hatfield, PA

#20 Oct 19, 2013
Richland Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Congestion should have been alleviated by now: Dream on oh unattached reality to political blogger. The state sat on money to synchronize the lights on 309 for 13 years.
Quakertown Borough had their ADA curb cuts REinstalled (at great expense to local taxpayers) a few years ago, but Richland is only getting around to it now. Once this is done, they are supposed to time all the lights.
If Qtown had it done, why didn't this township?
Answer: develpoment in Richland continued while the grant money was frozen by the state.
This death was tragic and we local trolls were, as usual, oblivious to the pain and suffering of local families.

We should be banished from threads that are not individually and politically motivated.

Regrets for these families tragic losses;
the teenage kid without the seatbelt who will have this following him forever and the families of this hapless driver without a seat belt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gold spa prostitution asian women (Aug '10) 5 hr Jillian sheets 146
What is going up at the corner of Tollgate and ... 7 hr me 26
Review: Milford Veterinary Clinic - Kathy L Jam... (Sep '09) Wed Bronwyn River 300
Power Home Remodeling Group Solicitors? (Nov '11) Tue Icon 48
Ametek U.S. Gauge (Jul '12) Dec 3 Its Time 148
Outrageous Prices for a haircut in Qtown Nov 29 Bad Cuts 12
Is God Real? (Mar '13) Nov 29 macholibre 304

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages