Medicine Shoppe has closed!

Medicine Shoppe has closed!

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

Richland Res

Broomall, PA

#1 Dec 27, 2012
I was shocked to learn that Phil and Doreen Bennett closed their pharmacy this week! Phil has been my pharmacist for many years and I wish him and his wonderful wife a great retirement.

I hope the other girls have jobs lined up since they've been with Phil for a long time.

I'm really going to miss their personal service.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#2 Dec 28, 2012
You can thank obama. Many new regulations and higher taxes made them hang it up!
Wower

Perkasie, PA

#3 Dec 28, 2012
Jersey Duke wrote:
You can thank obama. Many new regulations and higher taxes made them hang it up!
Yea, it couldn't have anything to do with competition like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, Target, Costco, Giant, Shoprite, etc. Not to mention drugs available online. Do you know how dumb you sound when you blame everything on Obama.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#4 Dec 28, 2012
Wower wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, it couldn't have anything to do with competition like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, Target, Costco, Giant, Shoprite, etc. Not to mention drugs available online. Do you know how dumb you sound when you blame everything on Obama.
Not as dumb as you obamobots who think he walks on water! Medicine Shoppe was packed with customers every day.
very sorry to see him go

Southampton, PA

#5 Dec 28, 2012
Phil is the only pharmacist around who would do custom mixing (compounding) for certain medications. I use a hormone cream and my daughter uses tri-cream, a mix of three different topical meds, the only thing that worked for her eczema. We will probably not be able to get these medications now!
He was very knowledgeable!
Richland Res

Broomall, PA

#6 Dec 28, 2012
Wower wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, it couldn't have anything to do with competition like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, Target, Costco, Giant, Shoprite, etc. Not to mention drugs available online. Do you know how dumb you sound when you blame everything on Obama.
No, competition had nothing to do with it. As Jersey Duke stated, they had a very good business going there. It was always busy, but Phil and Doreen are in their 60's now and are probably just tired.

I wish them well. Phil was the best pharmacist around. I just hope Cindy I & II and Tara have jobs lined up. I will truly miss this place.

But, the new regulations and cuts to providers may have had something to do with it. I'm worried that some of my independent (non-group affiliated) docs will be able to stay in business once their medicare payments are substantially reduced.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#7 Dec 29, 2012
There is another Medicine Shoppe that does compounding of hormones (don't ask me how I know!) at 95 York rd, in Warminster .
Regards, Terri
very sorry to see him go wrote:
Phil is the only pharmacist around who would do custom mixing (compounding) for certain medications. I use a hormone cream and my daughter uses tri-cream, a mix of three different topical meds, the only thing that worked for her eczema. We will probably not be able to get these medications now!
He was very knowledgeable!
new world

Sellersville, PA

#8 Dec 29, 2012
It's a new world. Soon just about everything will be purchased online. All we will see is fast food joints and wawas. The Wawas are putting just about every other gas station out of business.
Close

Perkasie, PA

#9 Dec 30, 2012
TerryE wrote:
There is another Medicine Shoppe that does compounding of hormones (don't ask me how I know!) at 95 York rd, in Warminster. Regards, Terri <quoted text>
According to Wikipedia, Medicine Shoppe International is the 9th largest pharmacy chain in the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacies_in_th... . There used to be one in the Souderton Square SC at Rt 113 & 309, but their web site doesn't show it, so maybe they closed also.

Central NJ

#10 Dec 30, 2012
It's too bad because of the fact that they provided the compounding to their services. There are other compounding pharmacies, but I don't believe there are other chains that provide that service.
Regards, Terri
a twp res

Southampton, PA

#11 Dec 30, 2012
TerryE wrote:
There is another Medicine Shoppe that does compounding of hormones (don't ask me how I know!) at 95 York rd, in Warminster .
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
Thank you Terri, that is helpful!
res

Southampton, PA

#12 Dec 30, 2012
Close wrote:
<quoted text>According to Wikipedia, Medicine Shoppe International is the 9th largest pharmacy chain in the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacies_in_th... . There used to be one in the Souderton Square SC at Rt 113 & 309, but their web site doesn't show it, so maybe they closed also.
Yes, he went out of business a few years ago but for personal financial reasons.
abomination

Ashburn, VA

#13 Dec 30, 2012
Richland Res wrote:
I was shocked to learn that Phil and Doreen Bennett closed their pharmacy this week! Phil has been my pharmacist for many years and I wish him and his wonderful wife a great retirement.
I hope the other girls have jobs lined up since they've been with Phil for a long time.
I'm really going to miss their personal service.
thank
all your demscraps for this Phil&Cindy were worth their weight in Gold !Let's see who else Obama ,kills out. I will pray for you Obama lovers to feel his stinging betrayals first.

Central NJ

#14 Dec 30, 2012
Dear abomination, As much as I despise the Ethiopian in the fuel supply, that's not what this thread is about. However, I was wondering just how many small, mom and pop businesses he has wrecked and will wreck!
"My president was elected by dead people!"
Regards, Terri
Mike

Monterey, CA

#15 Dec 30, 2012
I used to own a Medicine Shoppe and I closed my doors (as did many other Medicine Shoppes)! I was also in my sixties and could have put in several years of productive service to my patients, and to my local community. I closed my doors for the following reasons:
1) Medicine Shoppe unconscionable franchise fee. It was 5.5% off the TOP, in many cases when we filled prescription we did NOT gross 5.5%. We were too weak to win in court against the big buck franchisor, Cardinal Health.
2) Unethical and unchecked practices by Pharmacy Benefit Managers, these are middlemen like CVS. Just to mention two examples: At the end of 2012 several CVS locations were closed in Florida by an unprecedented move by the DEA ( a federal narcotic agency) for narcotic over-dispensing; mail order wastage of several thousand dollars due to re-filling and billing insurance for patient who have already died.
I hope this sheds some light on the market environment out there that may have adversely affected Phil & Cindy , and to the unchecked corruption and abuses by big corporate America.
My e-mail: [email protected]
customer

Broomall, PA

#16 Jan 1, 2013
I was sad to hear they closed. the wost part was I was in their store the DAY they closed and they said nothing about it and there was no sign it was the last day for them. I was shocked to get a phone call that evening from rite aid saying M.S. closed and my prescription (COMPOUNDED thyroid) had been transferred to them. not sure rite aid will do the compound, but I can't take the synthetic thyroid meds.
I always loved the friendly personal service at the medicine shoppe but was a bit perplexed that they never said a word when i was there.
res

Southampton, PA

#17 Jan 1, 2013
Which rite aid did they sell their client list to? The Tollgate Rd or Broad St store?
Okay

Broomall, PA

#18 Jan 2, 2013
res wrote:
Which rite aid did they sell their client list to? The Tollgate Rd or Broad St store?
Broad St. There's a huge banner across the entrance to the store welcoming MS customers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richland Meadows (May '09) 10 hr Kitty 39
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... 10 hr Kitty 6
Banging noise in Quakertown area 18 hr Shag D Erotten 3
whats the old Zorrows turing into in Quakertown? 18 hr Servin 1
Sands Brother Dodge in Quakertown (Dec '08) 19 hr kyle 24
local raw honey on 663 (May '14) Wed CFS 42
News Horror Story Reported by Patient of Local Quake... (Feb '08) Mar 21 suzan528 143

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages