Call for a vote of no confidence in S...

Call for a vote of no confidence in Stepanoff?

Created by dave on Oct 13, 2007

196 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Yes - Lou-Ellen Renshaw

Allentown, PA

#61 Oct 18, 2007
I more interested in what they have to say than how they say it. Some people are not good public speakers.
Parent and Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish they were televised as well. The meeting minutes only tell part of the story, but it is great that you actually read them. Some people on this board feel that reading the Free Press suffices. Hope you can make it to a meeting in the near future. You learn a lot from the body language. Some board members also have great difficulty articulating their position, while others (including our newest board member, Mrs. Mosely) add a lot of value.
An Independent Voter

Macungie, PA

#62 Oct 18, 2007
Parent and Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish they were televised as well. The meeting minutes only tell part of the story, but it is great that you actually read them. Some people on this board feel that reading the Free Press suffices. Hope you can make it to a meeting in the near future. You learn a lot from the body language. Some board members also have great difficulty articulating their position, while others (including our newest board member, Mrs. Mosely) add a lot of value.
Normally I would agree, but what happens to Stepanoffs ego when he will then perceive himself a TV star? Is there room for growth in that ego? I can't imagine it could get worse but what if it does?

“RA4C”

Since: Jul 07

Upper Bucks

#63 Oct 18, 2007
An Independent Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Normally I would agree, but what happens to Stepanoffs ego when he will then perceive himself a TV star? Is there room for growth in that ego? I can't imagine it could get worse but what if it does?
Perhaps he'd realize he's better suited to being a televangelist and then move on?
Parent and Taxpayer

Trenton, NJ

#64 Oct 18, 2007
Yes - Lou-Ellen Renshaw wrote:
I more interested in what they have to say than how they say it. Some people are not good public speakers.
<quoted text>
Exactly my point....some ramble on for 10 minutes, confusing their facts, blowing their own horn, etc. etc. but when they are finished, they have not said anything at all! It is not a matter of being a good public speaker. It is a matter of adding value.
bye

Allentown, PA

#65 Oct 19, 2007
Much like yourself. Please get a life.
Parent and Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point....some ramble on for 10 minutes, confusing their facts, blowing their own horn, etc. etc. but when they are finished, they have not said anything at all! It is not a matter of being a good public speaker. It is a matter of adding value.

“RO is obsessed with QCSD”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#66 Oct 19, 2007
Stepanoff and his hand-picked puppets need to go. Nothing good will come of their majority on the board.
Midnightrun

AOL

#67 Oct 23, 2007
Stop the bad press wrote:
Region 1 - when was last time you attended a school board meeting? Have you seen how much time Stepanoff has wasted (therefore, taxpayer's money) in the past few months? Even after the board voted DOWN his motion to add "efficiency" to the mission, he brought it up again last week. So, instead of respecting the policies and the decision of the board as a whole, he's wasting their time - and the time of the committee of community members that they have to gather back together - and the time of PDE - to have this changed. Why? Because HE wants it. Instead of complaining about our high school student's PSSA and SAT scores, maybe he should use the time more EFFICIENTLY to do something about that.
He wants cost effective or efficiently put in...some people read cost effective as cost cutting, no one wants to cut costs, but they have the right for the board to run 'to the best of their ability' which I'm sure everyone has taken as their own personal mission with the exception of Mr. S. School board shenanigans to garner self promotion and look at me attitudes have no place on the board.

He's like a circus seal with a ball on his nose.

AHH, but the new ringmaster knows about the seal, she may take his ball away.
WTF

Orefield, PA

#68 Oct 25, 2007
Mr. S got his butt handed to him this evening...is somebody's 15 minutes of fame up?? Was anyone at the meeting to share a play-by-play?
dave

Perkasie, PA

#69 Oct 25, 2007
WTF wrote:
Mr. S got his butt handed to him this evening...is somebody's 15 minutes of fame up?? Was anyone at the meeting to share a play-by-play?
I got home about an hour ago...I'd love to know what happened!
Lydia

Grand Rapids, MI

#70 Oct 25, 2007
Anyone who was at the board meeting tonight must realize that the person in question (both speakers) is stepanoff.
Lydia

Grand Rapids, MI

#71 Oct 25, 2007
Mr. Alfonso maybe where you come from corruption is acceptable but not here on our school board.
Parent and Taxpayer

Trenton, NJ

#72 Oct 26, 2007
For those who were not at the meeting, you missed a great one. Dr. Andrejko opened the meeting with a prepared statement that basically said she has been misquoted and improperly portrayed by some in the press and on these blogs. She has not and will not take any sides. Her only concern is for our children. Period. She did not take any comment and her face and tone said it all. She was obviously greatly disturbed by what has transpired in the press and on these blogs this past week.

Two different parents spoke up. The first spoke about the threat that was made in these blogs. The other spoke about the leak of what is supposed to be confidential information regarding where the two sides stand in the QCSD support staff negotiations in Richard Woldow's column this week in TFP. Both parents made the point that we hold our children to a code of conduct and that if they violate that code, there are specific consequences. Our Board members should be held to an even higher standard, yet their transgressions seem to go unpunished.

What was most startling....even if a Board Members is found to violate Board Policy, there are no consequences. There are rules, policies that members are expected to follow. There just aren't any policies outlining what will happen to a member should they violate them. Mrs. Mosely assured the parents that this is something the Board will be addressing in November.
Just a Thought

Trenton, NJ

#73 Oct 26, 2007
Anyone notice how quiet Paul Stepanoff was last night. Here is a man who ALWAYS has something to say (I don't think he can help himself). Yet last night, not one word.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....
FRED

AOL

#74 Oct 26, 2007
Info and Opinion wrote:
Better that the audit be done properly and not end up contested in court costing taxpayers money. I don't remember "cheating," I recall a billing error. Was the error on the part of the Water Authority or the Borough?
Better to recognize that there are strengths and weaknesses and take steps to minimize the weaknesses and maximize the strengths- not have an opinion columnist create a pressure cooker for area leadership that opposes or angers one man. The borough performance audit could have done just that had it not been used as an agenda tool with the accompanying columns and spin.
I don't presume to speak for the school district or anyone else and have said before that there are strengths to the increased childless tax base. This tax base in the numbers referenced will be if they end up having the value that they are predicted to go for and remain over 55. I'm also not sure how the taxes work if they flood out regularly and drop in value.
They may cost us more in services as they age in place. Fire/police and hospital and ambulance services. We have several of these communities and I thnk people feel that they are all riding bikes and playing tennis.

That is not the case, the average age to leave your homestead is 74, the average age in a nursing home is 84. What if they are not marketed properly and don't sell because a major bypass and a diesel engine train surrounds them, also a shopping center and the good old q'town farmers market blaring announcements on the weekends. Perhaps they all could be pre-sold, who knows.
Waste

United States

#75 Oct 26, 2007
Q-mart is a awesome, you are an elitist pig.
FRED wrote:
<quoted text>
They may cost us more in services as they age in place. Fire/police and hospital and ambulance services. We have several of these communities and I thnk people feel that they are all riding bikes and playing tennis.
That is not the case, the average age to leave your homestead is 74, the average age in a nursing home is 84. What if they are not marketed properly and don't sell because a major bypass and a diesel engine train surrounds them, also a shopping center and the good old q'town farmers market blaring announcements on the weekends. Perhaps they all could be pre-sold, who knows.
Marie

Southfield, MI

#76 Oct 30, 2007
Rational Advocate 4 Chnge wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall the board authorizing the solicitation of bids for that audit. I believe you are mistaken. Perhaps Info and Opinion will confirm.
May 11,2006 QCSD School Board Meeting Minutes

Dr. Julie Fagan would like to explore the idea of creative budget solutions. She would like to hire an outside consultant. She believes activity fees could be looked at again and she wants a committee to investigate the budget. Mr. Paul Stepanoff would like to get someone in to explore what could be cut, possibly an industry expert or a CPA. Dr. Scanlon noted that the administration spent a lot of time on this budget and we could go line by line to look at the costs. Mrs. Nancy Tirjan wants to table this idea until the summer.
Dr. Julie M. Fagan made a motion to hire an outside consultant to review the budget with the administration and make suggestions on reducing taxes and maintaining all programs.
Second: Paul R. Stepanoff
Result: Motion failed with a vote of two (2) ayes and five (5) nays.
Mr. Paul Stepanoff recommended the board consider hiring an outside consultant to review the budget with a cost of $250.00 per hour or a cap of $10,000.
Kelly L. Van Valkenburgh made a motion to hire a consultant at the discretion of the administration to review the budget at a cost not to exceed $10,000.
Second: Paul R. Stepanoff
Vote: Dr. Julie Fagan - Aye
Nancy B. Tirjan - Nay
Kelly L. Van Valkenburgh - Aye
Paul R. Stepanoff - Aye
William R. Laboski - Nay
Zane R. Stauffer - Nay
Philip S. Abramson - Aye
Result: Motion passed with four (4) ayes and three (3) nays and two (2) absent.

May 25, 2006 School Board Meeting Minutes
Hiring a Budget Consultant
Two proposals were received for a budget consultant. One proposal is from National Management Associates, LTD at a cost of $15,000 plus expenses not to exceed $1,500 with a completion date of June 16, 2006. The second proposal was received, at the request of board member Mr. Paul Stepanoff, from Mr. Richard W. Orloff, CPA. Mr. Orloff’s proposal cost $10,000 plus expenses of $150.00 with a completion date of June 30, 2006. Discussion continued on the fact that time is too short to complete an audit, and two weeks time is required to process and mail the real estate tax bills.
Nancy B. Tirjan made a motion not to hire the consultant at this time. She suggested the board reconvene in the summer to learn more about the budget process and communicate our process to the public.
Second: Linda A. Martin
Vote: Motion passed with six (6) ayes, two (2) nays and one (1) absent.

“RA4C”

Since: Jul 07

Upper Bucks

#77 Oct 30, 2007
I stand corrected. Would you characterize the motion made by Nancy Tirjan and seconded by Linda as being against Orloff? Or would you characterize the reason as being soley as stated...it didn't make sense at that time?
Marie

Southfield, MI

#78 Oct 30, 2007
As usual on these blogs, "dave" has misstated the truth and misled readers.

"Excuse me. Mr. Stepanoff recommended Rick Orloff for the budget consulting position in 2006 and Nancy Tirjan and Linda Martin voted it down." is what 'dave' wrote.

At the May 11 meeting Dr. Fagan suggested hiring an outside consultant.
K.VanValkenburgh made the motion. Stepanoff seconded seconded it.

At the May 25 meeting Tirjan and Martin voted it down when it was obvious the contract would have to be awarded to Orloff, the low bidder.
Marie

Southfield, MI

#79 Oct 30, 2007
Rational Advocate 4 Chnge wrote:
I stand corrected. Would you characterize the motion made by Nancy Tirjan and seconded by Linda as being against Orloff? Or would you characterize the reason as being soley as stated...it didn't make sense at that time?
My personal belief is that they would have eaten crushed glass before voting for Orloff to audit the school district books.

“RA4C”

Since: Jul 07

Upper Bucks

#80 Oct 30, 2007
Marie wrote:
<quoted text>
My personal belief is that they would have eaten crushed glass before voting for Orloff to audit the school district books.
That very well could be, but I still beleive their reasoning otherwise was sound.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... 43 min Tired of it all 25
Paul Stepanoff Needs to be Removed NOW! (Jul '14) Mon sidewalk superint... 202
Bucks co children in youth Jul 23 To be Frank 1
Why is Quakertown/Richland ignoring all these H... (May '10) Jul 23 Remmie 36
Ametek U.S. Gauge (Jul '12) Jul 22 Its Time 150
Bucks County News Feed (May '14) Jul 20 Carphunter64 167
why is george weisbrod working at the sellersvi... (May '14) Jul 20 Government Worker 2

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Quakertown Mortgages