Dems Load Sandy Relief Bill with Pork

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#1 Jan 2, 2013
Typical slimy Harry Reid tactic - blame Republicans for holding up funds for Hurricane Sandy victims because Dems tried to sneek through hundreds of millions of dollars for special-interest projects that have NOTHING to do with Sandy, including "gifts" to Hollywood, Goldman-Sachs, and even Bank of America!

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/little_he...
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#2 Jan 2, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
Typical slimy Harry Reid tactic - blame Republicans for holding up funds for Hurricane Sandy victims because Dems tried to sneek through hundreds of millions of dollars for special-interest projects that have NOTHING to do with Sandy, including "gifts" to Hollywood, Goldman-Sachs, and even Bank of America!
http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/little_he...
and yet no republican added any pork?
really?
as to blaming republicans try

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-christie...

"There is only one group to blame," Christie said. "The House Majority and John Boehner."
"Last night, the House Majority failed the basic test of leadership and they did so with callous disregard to the people of my state," he said. "It was disappointing and disgusting to watch."
"Shame on you, shame on Congress."
Following his remarks, Christie doubled down on his criticism in a lengthy — and incredibly candid — press conference in which he laid into House Republicans for putting "palace intrigue" ahead of their actual jobs.
"Our people were played last night as a pawn...and that's why people hate Washington, D.C.," Christie said later. "They forget that we're the ones who sent them there."
Asked who he thought was responsible on the holdup over Sandy aid, Christie laid the blame entirely on Boehner.
"It was the Speaker's decision — his alone," Christie said, adding that he tried to reach Boehner four times, but that the Speaker did not take his calls until this morning.
"I won't get into my conversation with [Boehner], but I will tell you there is no reason to believe anything they tell me."

does that make Gov Christie slimy?
Wrong

Broomall, PA

#3 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
"There is only one group to blame," Christie said. "The House Majority and John Boehner."
"Last night, the House Majority failed the basic test of leadership and they did so with callous disregard to the people of my state," he said. "It was disappointing and disgusting to watch."
Following his remarks, Christie doubled down on his criticism in a lengthy — and incredibly candid — press conference in which he laid into House Republicans for putting "palace intrigue" ahead of their actual jobs.
"Our people were played last night as a pawn...and that's why people hate Washington, D.C.," Christie said later. "They forget that we're the ones who sent them there."
Asked who he thought was responsible on the holdup over Sandy aid, Christie laid the blame entirely on Boehner.
"It was the Speaker's decision — his alone," Christie said, adding that he tried to reach Boehner four times, but that the Speaker did not take his calls until this morning.
"I won't get into my conversation with [Boehner], but I will tell you there is no reason to believe anything they tell me."
This was for relief from the damages caused by Sandy.

Please tell me, in your infinite wisdom, why there should be money in it for asparagus farmers?
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#4 Jan 3, 2013
Tell me why why as taxpayers we should rebuild anything that will be destroyed in the next storm?
Kind of like shooing yourself in the foot again and again. If you want to live there, the risk should be on the owner, not the taxpayer. The jokers tell us that the flood insurance program is self sufficient, but why can't they pay damages without 9 Billion from the feds?
The tax increases in the fiscal cliff nonsence will all be used up for this year by this "emergency"
InsuranceVacatio n

Pottstown, PA

#5 Jan 3, 2013
Jersey Duke wrote:
Tell me why why as taxpayers we should rebuild anything that will be destroyed in the next storm?
Kind of like shooing yourself in the foot again and again. If you want to live there, the risk should be on the owner, not the taxpayer. The jokers tell us that the flood insurance program is self sufficient, but why can't they pay damages without 9 Billion from the feds?
The tax increases in the fiscal cliff nonsence will all be used up for this year by this "emergency"
I don't mind paying for infrastructure or the board walks. What I don't want to pay for is second vacation homes or rental properties. This is the crux of the matter to me. I don't mind helping out a permanent year round resident where this is their only home. Or a business where that business was their only business. To me it's all about the permanent resident with no where else to go.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#6 Jan 3, 2013
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
This was for relief from the damages caused by Sandy.
Please tell me, in your infinite wisdom, why there should be money in it for asparagus farmers?
never said there should be.
with effective leadership from the House the Sandy relief could have been passed without the pork.
aside from the pork the House leader is playing politics with disaster relief funds.
InsuranceVacatio n

Pottstown, PA

#7 Jan 3, 2013
If all the professional POLITICIANS, repeat if all the professional politicians were truely interested in getting aide for their constituents they would have kept this a seperate bill focused on Sandy relief only.

And don't buy this " outrage " from many of the Republicans-why because the reason they are crying this is how they do business as well.

This is why you have all sorts of unrelated add ons, changes, earmarks etc. This is business as usual for the professional politician.

Washington politics is all about manipulative bargaining for compromise and/or concessions. This is why bills won't be focused on single issues.

Why not vote on each issue you say. Because by hiding various legislation in one big bill it makes it harder to put a negative voting record on a politician who made a concession or went against party lines. And it does hide some potentially contentious legislation. This is why you have 2000 page bills voted on in the middle of the night.

Washington politicians conducting business as usual. Nothing to see move along.
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#8 Jan 3, 2013
Jersey Duke wrote:
under that logic why have a fire department.
after all if your house burns why should the taxpayers pay for your lack of proper fire safety.
how is your earthquake insurance?
we had one that had it lasted a little longer or was a little greater the damage would have been severe.
the argument from California would be why are your buildings not built to take such an earthquake?
so why should they pay.
curious how right after the storm the complaint was FEMA was not getting help there fast enough but now when the bill comes due Congressmen from other areas do not want to pay.
say the Congressmen from Texas who had no problem with Fed money to fight wildfires,or the gulf states when BP had their spill.
or the Midwest states that when they have flooding the federal dollars are there.
or say when a storm comes in like Agnes,seem to remember quite a lot of Fed help in Wilkes-barre.
you help people out in a disaster(even if it is across the country) for the simple reason that one day you may need the same help.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#9 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
First, let me say that I was mixing up the "pork" salad. The handouts to Hollywood, Goldman-Sachs, and BOA were lumped into the fiscal cliff deal, not the Sandy deal. Slimy Democrat tactics apply to both, however.

As far as Christie, he has right to be pissed at Boehner and everyone in Congress - but ESPECIALLY the president. It's been 3 months since the famous photo-op with Obama where the campaigner-in-chief promised to cut through the red tape and instructed his FEMA people to "return every call in 15 minutes." Of course, that was BEFORE the election.

Where has he been for 3 months? He's in Hawaii while Slimy Harry and the Democrats trumped up the pork-filled relief bill that they knew FULL WELL would face Republican opposition while the Sandy victims were left to fend for themselves. Another pitiful display of Obama's "absent" leadership style of governing. No excuse for Boehner's inaction, but the bill stinks and there's no covering that up.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#10 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
I really don't like defending Republicans (or anyone else in this poor excuse for a responsive government), but as far as I know, there have been no bills submitted by the House since the last Congressional election that contained earmarks. Unlike Democrats, they pledged not to attach any earmarks to legislation. If you can prove otherwise, please do. But attaching earmarks purposely on a Sandy relief bill or eleventh-hour fiscal cliff bill in the former case just to score political points and in the latter case to press a poltiical advantage is despicable and should be exposed.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#11 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
under that logic why have a fire department.
after all if your house burns why should the taxpayers pay for your lack of proper fire safety.
how is your earthquake insurance?
we had one that had it lasted a little longer or was a little greater the damage would have been severe.
the argument from California would be why are your buildings not built to take such an earthquake?
so why should they pay.
curious how right after the storm the complaint was FEMA was not getting help there fast enough but now when the bill comes due Congressmen from other areas do not want to pay.
say the Congressmen from Texas who had no problem with Fed money to fight wildfires,or the gulf states when BP had their spill.
or the Midwest states that when they have flooding the federal dollars are there.
or say when a storm comes in like Agnes,seem to remember quite a lot of Fed help in Wilkes-barre.
you help people out in a disaster(even if it is across the country) for the simple reason that one day you may need the same help.
Your logic and mind are seriously flawed!
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#12 Jan 3, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
First, let me say that I was mixing up the "pork" salad. The handouts to Hollywood, Goldman-Sachs, and BOA were lumped into the fiscal cliff deal, not the Sandy deal. Slimy Democrat tactics apply to both, however.
As far as Christie, he has right to be pissed at Boehner and everyone in Congress - but ESPECIALLY the president. It's been 3 months since the famous photo-op with Obama where the campaigner-in-chief promised to cut through the red tape and instructed his FEMA people to "return every call in 15 minutes." Of course, that was BEFORE the election.
Where has he been for 3 months? He's in Hawaii while Slimy Harry and the Democrats trumped up the pork-filled relief bill that they knew FULL WELL would face Republican opposition while the Sandy victims were left to fend for themselves. Another pitiful display of Obama's "absent" leadership style of governing. No excuse for Boehner's inaction, but the bill stinks and there's no covering that up.
yep guess Christie was really ticked off at the President as he did not lay the blame at his doorstep.
as to the President and his response with FEMA --Christie praised the Federal response while the right wing wanted smears.
And Christie stated the republican House leader would not answer his calls.
gee guess the republican House leader just cannot answer a phone in "15 minutes".
perhaps in the future he can rise to occasion as the President did.
Christie is not known for dancing around a subject so i guess he said what he meant.
that is that the republican leadership in the House failed.
BTW the President has been in Hawaii for three months?
inventing things perhaps?
sipping too much of the right wing kool-aid?
or only republican Presidents are allowed vacations?
really?
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#13 Jan 3, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't like defending Republicans (or anyone else in this poor excuse for a responsive government), but as far as I know, there have been no bills submitted by the House since the last Congressional election that contained earmarks. Unlike Democrats, they pledged not to attach any earmarks to legislation. If you can prove otherwise, please do. But attaching earmarks purposely on a Sandy relief bill or eleventh-hour fiscal cliff bill in the former case just to score political points and in the latter case to press a poltiical advantage is despicable and should be exposed.
try

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-26/e...

and

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/247...

"The end result of the earmark moratorium is not less wasteful spending on projects; it’s less accountability in the budgeting process. Under the normal earmarking process, each project requested for funding by Congress would be publicly disclosed with detailed information on dollar totals and the names of members of Congress who requested the funding. Under the House’s moratorium, the slush funds will be converted into specific project funding through an opaque process, known as “lettermarking,” involving private communications between members of Congress and executive branch bureaucrats. Short of a gigantic investigation involving a drawn-out FOIA process, the public will never know for sure which members of Congress pushed for specific projects to be funded. That secrecy makes the process much more corruptable."

so the House leader can fix the problem if he wants.
but then again John Boehner shows his leadership via

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/56_135/John-Bo...

surprisingly no tea party folks managed to hound him for his actions.
guess republicans are off limits in that regard.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#14 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
yep guess Christie was really ticked off at the President as he did not lay the blame at his doorstep.
as to the President and his response with FEMA --Christie praised the Federal response while the right wing wanted smears.
And Christie stated the republican House leader would not answer his calls.
gee guess the republican House leader just cannot answer a phone in "15 minutes".
perhaps in the future he can rise to occasion as the President did.
Christie is not known for dancing around a subject so i guess he said what he meant.
that is that the republican leadership in the House failed.
BTW the President has been in Hawaii for three months?
inventing things perhaps?
sipping too much of the right wing kool-aid?
or only republican Presidents are allowed vacations?
really?
Christie would look bad if he went against the president now, wouldn't he? He's got a Liberal state to appease. You don't know what he's saying when the cameras aren't rolling. Yes, it isn't his style but he is, after all, a politician. You know, strange bedfellows and all that. As far as Boehner goes, like I said, I can't defend him for dragging his feet. But there's plenty of blame to go around for the Senate to even put forth that pork-filled bill.

How exactly did the president "rise to the occasion"? By making a tour, a photo op, and some empty promises? I think the folks on Staten Island would have something to say about that. I didn't say Obama was in Hawaii all that time, but he sure was there when nothing was being done about his promises.

Of course, presidents are allowed vacations. But Obama's been absent on leadership for four years. When does his end?
Joe

United States

#15 Jan 3, 2013
This is a two-part issue.

Coastal residents of NY and NJ need federal aid ASAP.

But there is growing common ground among Dems and GOPers that the Federal Government should no longer subsidize flood insurance in these high-risk regions. These coastal regions should have never been developed in the first place. Without federal subsidies for flood insurance, development of coastal regions would decrease and we could avoid this expensive mess when another hurricane strikes.
CarolO

United States

#16 Jan 3, 2013
Both Parties add pork to bills. But regardless of this, the Bill should have been denied, the pork removed and handled in a proper time. You don't throw it in the corner for 6 weeks and do nothing about it because no one wants to vote on it. You FIX IT.

Anyone remember the Stimulus Bill? Let's see........wooden arrows added to that, NSCAR, sheep shearing, Puerto Rican Rum, and numerous other pork added.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#17 Jan 3, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
try
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-26/e...
and
http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/247...
"The end result of the earmark moratorium is not less wasteful spending on projects; it’s less accountability in the budgeting process. Under the normal earmarking process, each project requested for funding by Congress would be publicly disclosed with detailed information on dollar totals and the names of members of Congress who requested the funding. Under the House’s moratorium, the slush funds will be converted into specific project funding through an opaque process, known as “lettermarking,” involving private communications between members of Congress and executive branch bureaucrats. Short of a gigantic investigation involving a drawn-out FOIA process, the public will never know for sure which members of Congress pushed for specific projects to be funded. That secrecy makes the process much more corruptable."
so the House leader can fix the problem if he wants.
but then again John Boehner shows his leadership via
http://www.rollcall.com/issues/56_135/John-Bo...
surprisingly no tea party folks managed to hound him for his actions.
guess republicans are off limits in that regard.
Point taken. They are all slimy SOBs and we need term limits to kick them out on their keisters. I've been saying that for many years now. However, it does not excuse Reid's behavior in the least. If you want a Tea Party opinion, I suggest you ask a Tea Party member instead of drawing your own conclusions about who's off limits.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#18 Jan 3, 2013
Joe wrote:
This is a two-part issue.
Coastal residents of NY and NJ need federal aid ASAP.
But there is growing common ground among Dems and GOPers that the Federal Government should no longer subsidize flood insurance in these high-risk regions. These coastal regions should have never been developed in the first place. Without federal subsidies for flood insurance, development of coastal regions would decrease and we could avoid this expensive mess when another hurricane strikes.
Historically NY and NJ are relatively unscathed by these types of storms and most homeowners on the coast do have at least some flood insurance (mortgage companies require it). What about the multi-million dollar cliff homes in SoCal that are regularly destroyed by landslides, and forest fires? They absolutely should not be rebuilt at taxpayer expense.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#19 Jan 3, 2013
CarolO wrote:
Both Parties add pork to bills. But regardless of this, the Bill should have been denied, the pork removed and handled in a proper time. You don't throw it in the corner for 6 weeks and do nothing about it because no one wants to vote on it. You FIX IT.
Anyone remember the Stimulus Bill? Let's see........wooden arrows added to that, NSCAR, sheep shearing, Puerto Rican Rum, and numerous other pork added.
Exactly. NO leadership, no oversight, no involvement from the WH.
But he sure does love them photo ops and victory laps!
dbar

Quakertown, PA

#20 Jan 3, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Christie would look bad if he went against the president now, wouldn't he? He's got a Liberal state to appease. You don't know what he's saying when the cameras aren't rolling. Yes, it isn't his style but he is, after all, a politician. You know, strange bedfellows and all that. As far as Boehner goes, like I said, I can't defend him for dragging his feet. But there's plenty of blame to go around for the Senate to even put forth that pork-filled bill.
How exactly did the president "rise to the occasion"? By making a tour, a photo op, and some empty promises? I think the folks on Staten Island would have something to say about that. I didn't say Obama was in Hawaii all that time, but he sure was there when nothing was being done about his promises.
Of course, presidents are allowed vacations. But Obama's been absent on leadership for four years. When does his end?
the President took Gov Cristie's calls at least.
unlike the republican Speaker of the House.

well the locals in Staten Island seemed to like the visit by the President.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/...

"Said Grimm (R-Staten Island): "It lifted the spirits of those who have lost so much, was a big boost for the volunteers who have worked so hard for the past two weeks and for the city workers who have put in so many hours. We are often called the forgotten borough, but when the president of the United States comes here it makes us feel like we are on the map and not forgotten at all. I was very impressed. He was very sincere. The little embrace here, a word of encouragement there, it was all appreciated."

then Grimm did this

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/...

"Before the vote was re-scheduled, a furious Grimm ripped into Boehner and said he felt betrayed by the House speaker: He said Boehner refused to speak about the matter and that his behavior was insulting and unprofessional. "As a New Yorker, I feel like I got stabbed in the back," he said earlier Wednesday. "I got the rug pulled out from under me. I am angry. I am outraged. I am hurt."

gee the House leader refused to speak about the matter.
sounds like what Gov Christie said.
guess that is two pols with strange bedfellows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shame on Quakertown school district for cancell... 2 hr Uncle Richard 1
Dry cleaners wow! Jan 18 Tired of it all 9
gold spa prostitution asian women (Aug '10) Jan 15 Tennfan 149
News Students to be punished for hurling rocks, raci... Jan 15 american 18
New Sign on 309 Jan 13 Redicurous 17
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Jan 12 Tired of it all 781
Need a great hair stylist Jan 10 Mary 23

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance