Two More Broad St. Stores Bite The Dust

Posted in the Quakertown Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Q Town Resident

Fleetwood, PA

#1 Feb 3, 2009
The computer repair store and the appliance repair store next too McCooles on Broad St. are up for sale. Properties are across from the salon and spa place.

Looks like the door is closing. Maybe it will become part of the McCooles. Then again, it could become more rehab homes.

I sure hope this economic revitalization plan starts and starts quick. The buildings need a complete renovation before anybody puts anything in those places.

Also, any idea when this new QA meeting is occurring in February. The one that is open to public input?
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#2 Feb 3, 2009
I saw that yesterday that the building next to McCooles was up for sale.

As I was driving through town, I did question how Dimmigs stays in business? Especially with Best Buy now in town. I don't know anyone who has ever brought anything there. And I doubt he can compete with Best Buy pricing.
Q-tonion

Easton, PA

#3 Feb 3, 2009
We bought a washer/dryer set at Dimmigs a few months ago and he beat Lowes pricing. (Without haggling) Plus their service is great. Call if it's acting up and out they come to check it. We buy all our stuff there.
Jersey Duke

AOL

#4 Feb 3, 2009
Bucks County Resident wrote:
As I was driving through town, I did question how Dimmigs stays in business? Especially with Best Buy now in town. I don't know anyone who has ever brought anything there. And I doubt he can compete with Best Buy pricing.
You could try a local business that cares for their reputation and customers. You might be surprised. Dimmig's has even fixed appliance brands that they don't sell for me.
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#5 Feb 3, 2009
I tried Dimmig's a few years back. I needed a fridge for a rental unit. I called with the same model number that I was going to buy at Lowes. He told me right out, he can not compete with them because Lowe's is buying 300 at a time, where he is buying 3. He would be losing money if he undersold them.
Crenshaw

Camp Hill, PA

#6 Feb 3, 2009
Someone told me a massage parlor is operating in a building on Broad behind McCooles.

Time to send the vice squad.
Crenshaw

Camp Hill, PA

#7 Feb 3, 2009
I tried Dimmig's a few years back. I needed a fridge for a rental unit. I called with the same model number that I was going to buy at Lowes. He told me right out, he can not compete with them because Lowe's is buying 300 at a time, where he is buying 3. He would be losing money if he undersold them.
Where Dimmigs will match or beat Lowes is for the types of appliances you would buy for your own home. Cheap, lowend rental unit appliances, your right, the big box can beat.

All our appliances came from Dimmigs or Reigners and they were less than big box retailers, especially in light of delivery and set up included.

Give D's a try next time you need a nice washing machine or cook top for your wife.(Valentines Day is less than 2 weeks off..)
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#8 Feb 3, 2009
Good to know, I definitely will give them a look.
sounds odd

Zionhill, PA

#9 Feb 4, 2009
I know it may sound odd to some of you but yes there are actual LEGIT massage parlors in town. I know because I made the mistake once myself. Boy did I look like a silly goose turning over and giving the massage girl the ol "eh eh" everytime she would rub my feet and I scooted down the table.
Dimmigs customer

Broomall, PA

#10 Feb 5, 2009
Crenshaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Where Dimmigs will match or beat Lowes is for the types of appliances you would buy for your own home. Cheap, lowend rental unit appliances, your right, the big box can beat.
All our appliances came from Dimmigs or Reigners and they were less than big box retailers, especially in light of delivery and set up included.
Give D's a try next time you need a nice washing machine or cook top for your wife.(Valentines Day is less than 2 weeks off..)
No mom'n'pop can compete with bottom-end sales leaders, but when it comes to higher end appliances, like Jenn-Air, Dacor, Thermador, Sub-Zero, Viking, Wolf, etc., you can usually do better at the smaller stores.

Plus, on top of it all, you get great service from them. Their appliance guy has been there for around 30 years. The one salesman has been there for 20 years. And, they've been around for like, forever, so they are doing something right.

Out of all the mom'n'pop appliance stores that used to be in town, Dimmig's and Schulberger's are the only ones left, but Dimmig's has a larger selection as Schulberger's does more A/C work.
Dimmigs customer

Broomall, PA

#11 Feb 5, 2009
Jersey Duke wrote:
<quoted text>
You could try a local business that cares for their reputation and customers. You might be surprised. Dimmig's has even fixed appliance brands that they don't sell for me.
They've done that for as long as I've been shopping there (20+ years!). It's one of the last vestiges of good, old-fashioned "service with a smile."
Dimmigs customer

Broomall, PA

#12 Feb 5, 2009
Best Buy is overpriced from the start. Circuit City always beat their prices. Besides, Best Buy is more electronics focused, where Dimmig's is more appliance focused. Besides, are you going to find a knowledgeable salesman at Best Buy with over 20 years experience? Not around here.

“Here I am World”

Since: May 08

Quakertown

#13 Feb 5, 2009
I just made a major appliance purchase this week.
I went to every place in town that sold appliances
Including Dimmig. In the end Sears of all places had the best product, best price, and best warranty.
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#14 Feb 5, 2009
Sears always has great appliances. When it comes down to it, most of the products are the same. Warranty and price are what usually win over a customer.
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#15 Feb 5, 2009
Dimmigs customer wrote:
<quoted text>Best Buy is overpriced from the start. Circuit City always beat their prices. Besides, Best Buy is more electronics focused, where Dimmig's is more appliance focused. Besides, are you going to find a knowledgeable salesman at Best Buy with over 20 years experience? Not around here.
With the invention of the internet, most people are going to be well educated consumers and know a lot about the product before they step foot in the store. Having the opportunity to read customer reviews online will outweigh the salesman telling what you want to hear.
Q-tonion

Easton, PA

#16 Feb 5, 2009
<quoted text>With the invention of the internet, most people are going to be well educated consumers and know a lot about the product before they step foot in the store. Having the opportunity to read customer reviews online will outweigh the salesman telling what you want to hear.
No, but for me bottom line is the service. When we purchased, we did the research...decided to go with one of two brands, then went and asked at Dimmigs about the service calls on both. As I said earlier, the price was the best we found but even if it was $50 or so higher, the personal service sealed it. They then walked us throught the products gave us their input and we made the decision. I love knowing the people I'm purchasing from are vested in their job. They've been there for how many years(?) and understand word of mouth is everything.
Dimmigs customer

Broomall, PA

#17 Feb 5, 2009
Sears always has great appliances. When it comes down to it, most of the products are the same. Warranty and price are what usually win over a customer.
Uh, no. Most of the products are NOT the same. Sears may use major manufacturers to produce their Kenmore line, but to SEARS specifications, which may or may not be on par with the manufacturer. This I was told by a Sears repairman!
Bucks County Resident

Hillsborough, NJ

#18 Feb 5, 2009
Does Dimmig's sell big screen TV and/or surround sound? Or just appliances?
Q-tonion

Easton, PA

#19 Feb 5, 2009
Does Dimmig's sell big screen TV and/or surround sound? Or just appliances?
Some TV's but I believe mostly appliances.
Crenshaw

Camp Hill, PA

#20 Feb 5, 2009
I thank Al Gore for inventing the internet every day I use it.
<quoted text>With the invention of the internet, most people are going to be well educated consumers and know a lot about the product before they step foot in the store. Having the opportunity to read customer reviews online will outweigh the salesman telling what you want to hear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quakertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paul Stepanoff Needs to be Removed NOW! (Jul '14) 1 hr Such BS 244
Tim Arnold 3 hr The Watchers 9
It's almost that time of year again 5 hr Mr Mcfartslappy 6
The Local Restaurant Oct 15 madame mona 9
RTBOS Referendum Oct 15 Trey Gowdy 7
Racism in school district Oct 15 Sad But True 3
Where is Geoff Stevens new church meeting? (Sep '09) Oct 13 Curious 9

Quakertown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance