Puyallup School District discriminate...

Puyallup School District discriminates against Special Education Students

Posted in the Puyallup Forum

Bernie

Seattle, WA

#1 Nov 6, 2008
I first want to say thank you for all those that have been supporting me protesting the Puyallup District for the inhumane treatment of special education students by having them perform duties such as; picking up trash, cleaning cafeteria tables, scraping gum from the underside of tables, doing grounds maintenance, cleaning windows, picking up cigarette butts, used condoms or any task the District sees fit for these most fragile students to do. It appears that the district is dictating the future of these students by saying that all special-ed students want to be janitors or grounds maintenance personnel. Staff members have approached me and have also made statements to the paper that these kids love doing this, that it gives them purpose and is part of their vocational training. Of course District employees are going to say that. In our Due Process hearing my wife and I had to sit and listen to District employees and administrators sacrificed their integrity to protect the District at all costs. It was sickening to sit and endure this knowing the truth was not being heard by the Judge.

Students testified that they witnessed harassment toward my son and other special-ed students that went undisciplined and the demeaning curriculum that the special education students are required to do. The Judge discredited their testimony and took the testimony of the culprits (District staff) as credible. We as parents have always felt that school was second to home as being the safest place for our son. Staff members hid from us the fact that our son was being harassed on a daily basis, and took advantage of his limited speech that he could not self report what was happening to him. An exiting teacher informed us that general-ed students were picking on my son in the commons at Ferrucci Jr. High School. The Harassment continued not only by general-ed students but by other high functioning students that were in my son’s class. By years end my son developed an ulcer caused from stress. From testimony and statements made by District staff it was brought to our attention well after the fact that our son had been subjected to daily harassment that was not reported to us.

The other big issue is discrimination on the part of the Puyallup School District, Tony Apostle as the speaker of the District and a school board member and the remaining Board members by adopting higher academic expectations for all students to reach their academic potential. But in a response to our request for our son to have equal educational rights the District responded by saying they are not obligated to provide a potential maximizing education or provide an education so my son can reach his potential and that they are only required to provide an education for my son to receive some educational benefit and a basic floor of opportunity. Wow, if they responded to “all” students this way I doubt many kids would be getting much of an education. The District’s board approved mission statement reads; Supported by families and our diverse community, the Puyallup School District challenges students to achieve their academic, creative, and physical potential. Tony Apostle has stated in District publications; Our board of directors established several goals for the next two school years. The first goal addresses student achievement —our top priority — by increasing academic rigor for all students in order to help each student reach his or her highest potential and Parents often wonder, as I do, am I doing this right? What can I do to help my child learn right from wrong? How can I best support my child to maximize his or her potential? Is my child safe when he or she is not in my home? It seems that Apostle has different expectations for general education students other than those of special-education students. Discrimination and harassment is alive and well in the Puyallup School District.

Bernie Dalien
RMGCITYU_EDU

Bellevue, WA

#2 Jan 30, 2010
Mr. Dalien, has there been any litigation in this matter. If so, perhaps you know where the records can be accessed?
doo doo face

Sumner, WA

#3 Feb 9, 2010
I say we do away with the durs like the spartans used to.
Huge Jass

Puyallup, WA

#4 Feb 15, 2010
Yes I agree completely! All durs in the US need to be cast away in large pits as to stop the spread of retardation. Poor people are far more fit to pick up trash then those durs could ever possibly be!
Bernie

Seattle, WA

#5 Sep 30, 2010
Mr. Dalien, has there been any litigation in this matter. If so, perhaps you know where the records can be accessed?

Yes there is, you can contact me at [email protected]
Jim

United States

#6 Apr 8, 2011
Bernie i am soorry to hear that you and your framily have not gain on this matter after all this time it is a very sad to hear
Bernie

Bothell, WA

#7 Apr 9, 2011
Thank you, we are currently in two appeals courts, one the 9th Circuit and the other is The superior court of appeals. Hopefully someone will actually look at the record and not ignore what happened to our son. He currently is suffering from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that his doctors state were cause from the treatment he received while attending Puyallup Schools.
Runner

Renton, WA

#8 Apr 13, 2011
PTSD and OCD from having to pick up trash and clean tables?? Sounds like someone is on the hunt for a payout at the expense of the taxpayer...

If you have such concerns about the way the school is treating your special needs child then why don't you find some other place for him to go instead of suing the school district?

I've been around many handicapped people at the Junior High and High school levels and can honestly say that they mostly have no future beyond menial jobs that the lowest level janitor would be in charge of. Unless of course your child is one of those ADHD kids, the ones who have personality defects caused by bad parenting and lack of discipline, then there is a chance that your kid will end up outgrowing you and becoming a real functioning member of society.
Bernie

Tacoma, WA

#9 Apr 14, 2011
Runner, you my friend are an ignorant individual. The PTSD and the OCD was caused from being bullied, tormented and abused not only from students but from teachers as well. You are only reading part of the story. Visit a facebook page that describes a sample of what these kids are subjected to. http://www.facebook.com/home.php #!/pages/Puyallup-School-Distr ict-Anti-BullyingHarassmentDis crimination-Advocacy/124335377 635140?sk=wall So you don’t think an individuals should be held accountable for the crimes they commit? By your words must discriminate against anyone you deem as not perfect or meet up to your standards.
bmr

Tacoma, WA

#10 Aug 23, 2012
I feel for you, Bernie. I know that the Puyallup SD handles Special Ed students (or used to anyway) better than some, but what you're describing is unacceptable. My daughter was put in special ed (in another district) for behavior issues. She was in special ed until 6th grade. We tried to tell them she was just bored, but they wouldn't listen. She graduated high school a National Merit Scholar, and college Magna Cum Laude.

I hope you have better luck than we did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puyallup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zediah Dacti Timmons Jun 28 Under honorable Z... 1
News Arrest made in deadly Federal Way shooting (Jul '08) Jun '16 Lol 27
News Man fatally shot at Puyallup gas station (Oct '07) May '16 Kwaman 69
News CPS safety plan put child in danger, police say (Aug '07) May '16 KingDingaling 14
etizolam powder for sale May '16 etizolam253 1
Werner Irvin Apr '16 Sung Irvin 2
Marge Knight Mar '16 Kyle 1

Puyallup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Puyallup Mortgages