Crime in Puxico
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“I know what you did!”

Since: Dec 07

Scotland Yard

#1 Jan 8, 2008
In the last year over half of the businesses have been broken in to, some numerous times. Home break -ins are at an all time high. And convictions for these crimes are all most non existent. Drunk driver goes on a crash spree bouncing off several cars and is walking around town less than 10hrs later.

What's up with this?

SC chief deputy answers a call of recovered stolen property. Says case is done made no need to make a report, robbers have never spent a full night in jail and no mention of the loaded weapon that they were carrying during the home invasion. Just bad police work or something else?

Business man accused of selling drugs from his place of business and business was never searched. Poor police work or something else?

Business makes a report of break-in in progress. 30 minutes before any law enforcement shows. What is all the money for pagers, radios and phones going to?

Alderman says we really don't have that bad of a crime problem in relation to other communities. What community? New York city!

Is it to much to ask that at least a small attempt to correct this problem be made? May as well buy more dummies and fire the live help, long term financial responsibility would be much less and couldn't get much worse.
always concerned

United States

#2 Jan 10, 2008
Please understand Im not making this comment to defend or offend anyone, this is just my personnel opinion from a outside view, I do have a strong interest in the Puxico community and spend a lot of my time and business there so that is why im making this comment.

I wasn’t there during the investigations of the crimes committed above but with the growing crime there is a need for further law enforcement. This is a problem that needs to be addressed at the city board meetings so that more resources can be opened up. There is people that volunteer at the Police Department but actual licensed officers is different, most of the volunteers are not licensed and cannot take calls or assist on their own. The licensed volunteers are just that, and the problem lies with that they usually have full time jobs or not available and cannot answer the calls most of the time.

The last time I checked there are only two full time officers in Puxico, that is not enough to run at a minimum of two shifts seven days a week. And when a officer is hired the pay is at the least the minimum and as soon as a position somewhere else opens up we loose the officer usually to the pay and benefits.

I do agree with 007, it is a problem that needs to be addressed, with a growing crime rate people will leave the community, when people leave they leave empty buildings that usually become an eyesore which lowers property value, after that it becomes a snowball effect.

Most people don’t realize that just because crime is not happening to you doesn’t mean its not happening in your community, I want to see Puxico become the place our kids want to remain in after they become adults.

I could continue about this subject for pages but thought I would put in the minimum so that I don’t bore anyone...lol hope everyone has a great day!!!
Felix Leiter

Chagrin Falls, OH

#3 Jan 10, 2008
I agree with all that has been said, but that doesn't excuse the present situation.

We have a board that is more worried about property values than our safety. Whats ironic about that, the very laws they are so adamant about enforcing to protect the property values, most of them have property that is in violation or has been in violation in the last year.

"AGE REQUIREMENT: Must be at least 21 years of age, or applicant must reach their 21st birthday by the time of completion of academy training course."

There should be some professionalism in the city even though we are a small community. State standards for police whether paid or volunteer should be followed. Maybe if the community would see some professionalism they would support the hiring of additional employees, maybe wages and benefits would increase. This thing having 16-18 year old high school kids running around playing cops and robbers isn't working. They are committing more crimes themselves. Carrying guns, driving under the influence, buying for minors,,, THIS IS CRAZY!! There are some major liabilities with the current situation here, Whats worse the board knows and does nothing!
Dog

United States

#4 Jan 10, 2008
First off, what is a licensed police volunteer? Are you speaking of the teenagers with red lights and sirens on their private vehicles, wearing police tees, radios and pistols? The one that was recently arrested for unlawful use of a weapon and earlier in the year a guilty plea of poaching. What kind of license does that require?

"And when a officer is hired the pay is at the least the minimum and as soon as a position somewhere else opens up we loose the officer usually to the pay and benefits." Whom have we lost because of pay? The second-man after his probation period makes more than a SC officer and the current night man was the chief at Bell City before he took this job, so I would assume that with the drive from there to here, this job must pay more? I believe that if you figure his hours vs. wages, it will amount to the $10 per hour range without his benefits.

As far as addressing this with the board, good luck! As I said above, the night man is by city ordinance just that, a night man, not a day man. When are these break-ins happening, surely not in daylight? Under the same chief, past night men went on duty Friday night and got off Sunday evening. Why did that change or was that to get that person to quit? The board has increased the chief’s salary to $25,000 and the night man position has also seen a substantial increase.

The board pulled sales tax money from the library and building funds into the police department last year. This was at 51%, but now gives the police department over 59% of all sales tax money collected plus their fines collected. In my opinion no more city funds need to be put into a daytime only police department. If the board would attempt to lower the chief’s ego a bit and allow Puxico to be part of Stoddard County and the state of Missouri again, we could have full time police protection as we once did. The county and MSHP always worked with our community and still do in other communities, to help cover those times not covered by the locals, and we do pay county and state taxes in this city. For some reason our chief doesn’t want other law enforcement agencies in “HIS TOWN”, why isn’t the board discussing this issue, seems everyone else notices it?

Also in past years and currently the elected chief’s job is a salaried job, not a 40-hour job. Always this has been interpreted as a floating position to fill in the time frames as needed. In other words, on call 24/7. The chief knew this when he ran for the office before he resigned the first time and when he came back and ran again and as ‘always concerned’ said,“I could continue about this subject for pages”. The only thing that has changed is the fact that we once had a mayor make the statement that salary means 40-hours a week at the chiefs discretion. Don’t recall that being written in the job description before election nor now.

If the aldermen want to seriously address this issue, they should first hold the chief within the budget HE prepares for each year for his department. Secondly they should require that he be present at board meetings so that any issues may be addressed.

How can we expect the board of aldermen to hold the line on the police department, when they cannot even get an audit completed that was began nearly three years ago nor even answer any questions about why it has not been completed?

If the board truly wants to address this issue, start by putting it on the ballot to make the chief’s job appointed so that he becomes an employee and not a government outside the city government.

I say ‘First Things First’ and I agree with 007, this is the Puxico PD, not the NYPD.
always concerned

United States

#5 Jan 11, 2008
I would say that all of the post I have read have been well thought out and its been a pleasure to read in a forum thoughts on how to resolve an issue instead of complaining about it. As a Police Officer myself I have seen things that I could not tolerate, the under 21 crowd that are playing police officers is not and should not be tolerated. I dont know how to fix the problems but would do anything necessary to help if needed. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Dog

Penrose, CO

#6 Jan 11, 2008
always concerned wrote:
I would say that all of the post I have read have been well thought out and its been a pleasure to read in a forum thoughts on how to resolve an issue instead of complaining about it. As a Police Officer myself I have seen things that I could not tolerate, the under 21 crowd that are playing police officers is not and should not be tolerated. I dont know how to fix the problems but would do anything necessary to help if needed. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
As a police officer and seeing your interests, maybe an inquiry from an officer to the State AG's Office, ethics committee and POST would help bring these questions full circle?

“I know what you did!”

Scotland Yard

#7 Jan 11, 2008
"always concerned" could see from the first post you were in the profession. But no offense, can't trust to many around here that wear a star. Some with good intentions seem to leave you hangin when the stool gets kicked out from under THEM. Others play the Jekyll & Hyde scam. We Disenvowed can't be to careful.

Attorney Generals office has a short between here and there, Seems to be this massive abyss that swallows all information and interest when Puxico is concerned.

Most on Topix is just a rant. but these threads I assure you are a cry for help hoping someone is listening on the outside.

If this gets double posted sorry seems first post never made it.
SCCC

Penrose, CO

#8 Jan 11, 2008
I agree on several points above.

1) There is a short circuit between here and Jeff City and I believe the one putting the wires together is local. Maybe even has something to do with all these pictures in area papers with those in question locally with our elected Senator and Representative? Surely they are wiser than these pictures indicate. I understand that Emerson's office is the same. She stated that "why would she want to get involved with that 'mess' in Puxico."

2) There are good honest police that want this opened up for all to see, but can not because of above mentioned short circuit.

3) The marshal needs to be appointed in order to be kept in line by the governing body of the city before the big lawsuit that WILL occur without a doubt if he isn't reigned in.

4) If leadership isn't changed, we do not need more officers on the force...people in this town lock their vehicles because of the law...not because the lack of.

5) The K-9 program is a joke. All that dog does is bark on command, which allows the handler to search because the dog 'hit' on something...the marshal's command. You are then at his mercy.

6) Nothing will change if someone of higher standards does not file for the two aldermen positions coming up at the April elections...all this crying is useless if a couple good people don't step up and file and the community get behind them. Other wise it's going to be two more years of the same.

7) These kids being allowed to pose as police officers is something else. If you don't have a scanner...go to someones house on Saturday nights and listen to them doing the chiefs dirty work...and don't forget the popcorn...it's better than the movies!!

Gosh, that felt GOOD!!!!
Felix Leiter

Chagrin Falls, OH

#9 Jan 11, 2008
IF someone were to step in and run for one of the open seats, they better have their ducks in a row and nothing to loose.

Blow in a dogs face and you are libel to get a mouth full of teeth.

Cooperation with the cops in this part usually get you a vehicle full of drugs and a house full of druggies. No thanks!
The Recording Studio

United States

#10 Jan 14, 2008
My Business is one of the three that has been reported as being broken into. I was the third person to know about the break in. I left my home and when I arrived The Police officer on duty was arriving as well. He instantly began securing the scene and he took the pictures that was ran in the Puxico Press. He has contacted me on a daily basis to inform me of the progress on the investigation. The same officer has already solved the other other breakins and the supects are in jail. The BS that I read on this forum is constantly being fabricated by the same people. You know they are cowards or they would sign their name to the lies they write. Signed A.J. Siegler

Since: Jan 08

Puxico, Mo

#11 Jan 14, 2008
Do You know why the sales tax was started to begin with? Maybe you should ask someone who knows ore read the records. Just a Thought.
Dog wrote:
First off, what is a licensed police volunteer? Are you speaking of the teenagers with red lights and sirens on their private vehicles, wearing police tees, radios and pistols? The one that was recently arrested for unlawful use of a weapon and earlier in the year a guilty plea of poaching. What kind of license does that require?
"And when a officer is hired the pay is at the least the minimum and as soon as a position somewhere else opens up we loose the officer usually to the pay and benefits." Whom have we lost because of pay? The second-man after his probation period makes more than a SC officer and the current night man was the chief at Bell City before he took this job, so I would assume that with the drive from there to here, this job must pay more? I believe that if you figure his hours vs. wages, it will amount to the $10 per hour range without his benefits.
As far as addressing this with the board, good luck! As I said above, the night man is by city ordinance just that, a night man, not a day man. When are these break-ins happening, surely not in daylight? Under the same chief, past night men went on duty Friday night and got off Sunday evening. Why did that change or was that to get that person to quit? The board has increased the chief’s salary to $25,000 and the night man position has also seen a substantial increase.
The board pulled sales tax money from the library and building funds into the police department last year. This was at 51%, but now gives the police department over 59% of all sales tax money collected plus their fines collected. In my opinion no more city funds need to be put into a daytime only police department. If the board would attempt to lower the chief’s ego a bit and allow Puxico to be part of Stoddard County and the state of Missouri again, we could have full time police protection as we once did. The county and MSHP always worked with our community and still do in other communities, to help cover those times not covered by the locals, and we do pay county and state taxes in this city. For some reason our chief doesn’t want other law enforcement agencies in “HIS TOWN”, why isn’t the board discussing this issue, seems everyone else notices it?
Also in past years and currently the elected chief’s job is a salaried job, not a 40-hour job. Always this has been interpreted as a floating position to fill in the time frames as needed. In other words, on call 24/7. The chief knew this when he ran for the office before he resigned the first time and when he came back and ran again and as ‘always concerned’ said,“I could continue about this subject for pages”. The only thing that has changed is the fact that we once had a mayor make the statement that salary means 40-hours a week at the chiefs discretion. Don’t recall that being written in the job description before election nor now.
If the aldermen want to seriously address this issue, they should first hold the chief within the budget HE prepares for each year for his department. Secondly they should require that he be present at board meetings so that any issues may be addressed.
How can we expect the board of aldermen to hold the line on the police department, when they cannot even get an audit completed that was began nearly three years ago nor even answer any questions about why it has not been completed?
If the board truly wants to address this issue, start by putting it on the ballot to make the chief’s job appointed so that he becomes an employee and not a government outside the city government.
I say ‘First Things First’ and I agree with 007, this is the Puxico PD, not the NYPD.
SCCC

Penrose, CO

#12 Jan 15, 2008
Are you on probation or something????

“I know what you did!”

Scotland Yard

#13 Jan 15, 2008
The Recording Studio wrote:
My Business is one of the three that has been reported as being broken into. I was the third person to know about the break in. I left my home and when I arrived The Police officer on duty was arriving as well. He instantly began securing the scene and he took the pictures that was ran in the Puxico Press. He has contacted me on a daily basis to inform me of the progress on the investigation. The same officer has already solved the other other breakins and the suspects are in jail. The BS that I read on this forum is constantly being fabricated by the same people. You know they are cowards or they would sign their name to the lies they write. Signed A.J. Siegler
Man if I had known sooner that all you would have to do was print off a page from Topix and leave it laying around to get a little straight answers, we could have been doing that at board meetings.

But then again straight answers is not totally what we are getting is it? IF there were only three businesses that have been broken into, that would not be that bad, but this is within one week and by different people. Original claim is still correct OVER half the local businesses have been broken into in the last year.
I am glad AJ that they are working on your break in. But it does have to bother you that someone on parole can be released to allegedly commit a crime the same day they are released? If you are on parole and you commit a felony, one in a long string, would you expect to make a 10% bond or would you expect to have your parole revoked and remain in custody? If you will reread what I have posted you will see that the total weight of burden does not rest solely on the PPD. There is a break down that transcends Puxico and if you would cut the strings you could see that.

Let's take a for instance as an example. Say your wife or mom or close family has a prescription filled for a narcotic and say that the said prescription; be it forged, copied or borrowed, ends up in the hands of a known dealer. And this dealer tries to get the prescription filled again by telling the pharmacy they are your relative. The Pharmacy catches the crime as it is being committed and reports it. Now State, county and local enforcement know this happened, they know the subject and are aware of their practices, but nothing happens! Again this is only Hypothetical and we are not insinuating anything like that has happened around here! But would you not be the least bit upset? They stole a prescription from your family member, falsely assumed their identity and attempted to get prescription medication that they are planning on pushing towards your son and his friends, or your in-laws. Would that not concern you? Or do you condone that type of behavior?

I am glad you feel free to post you name. I am especially glad that you come condemning others on here and giving support to your marshal after such a blow to his ego. This way if we make one of our rare visits to town and pass you on the street, we will have no question of your loyalty. And just for your benefit Just because some refuse to post their name on this forum does not mean they are afraid to let EVERYONE know their identity. The people that count know who is talking to them, because what is being said is nothing that hasn't been said to their face!

The PPD needs to get over it, the world doesn't revolve around them and the problem in Puxico is bigger than they are. They need to be part of the solution instead of the problem. But as long as they have people who don't mind to degrade themselves and make themselves come off as a baafoon, They will keep occupying them selfs with getting even because somebody hurt their feelings. Come on people grow up and get some thicker skin!!!!

ANYONE that says there is no crime problem in Puxico is a liar!!!!
ANYONE that says there is rug problem in Puxico is a liar!!!!!
Anyone that can't see they are in a handbasket is blind!!!!!

“I know what you did!”

Scotland Yard

#14 Jan 15, 2008
Drug problem! I did post misinformation and I am sorry. To my knowledge no rugs have been stolen, just a lot of trash swept under them.
Dog

Penrose, CO

#15 Jan 15, 2008
Most in the community know who the mouthpieces and the cowards are AJ. It's sorta like mixing salt, pepper and sand in the same shaker...together...hard to seperate...easy to distinguish...but of little use.

I too hope they apprehend those responsible for your breakin, but in reference to my orginal post, if someone had been on duty after 10 pm, they might have at least heard the sound of crashing glass. Hopefully they will have better luck with yours than they did when the PPD office was broken into and all the evidence and contraband was stolen.
coutry 123

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jan 17, 2008
the crime starts when the city of puxico let an out of town man run thing. what is the deal with the city leting jeff holloway keeping a city computer and $1300 dollars of grant money. is what i would like to know.. that is bull crap the man does not evan live in the town but can keep a grant writting office in town with out a city licenses. so who stands tall in puxico the city or jeff holloway....

“I know what you did!”

Scotland Yard

#17 Jan 18, 2008
coutry 123 wrote:
the crime starts when the city of puxico let an out of town man run thing. what is the deal with the city leting jeff holloway keeping a city computer and $1300 dollars of grant money. is what i would like to know.. that is bull crap the man does not evan live in the town but can keep a grant writting office in town with out a city licenses. so who stands tall in puxico the city or jeff holloway....
OOOOOOHHHHH Kay here we Go!
WHERE in the original post do you see ANYONE being personally singled out?

Is this all that we are capable of doing? Some grade school bickering over who's side who is on? Puxico amazes me, election time comes and the issues that divide the voters are who is on Jeff Holloway's side and Who is on Johnny Clark's side. In the mean time we all are oblivious the real problems, mainly ourselves!!!!!!

Believe it or not there are a few that are truly concerned with what is going on in Puxico. To the poster, Johnny Clark is the worst thing that has happened to this community in a long time. AND it has nothing to do with his job performance, his morals, or his personality. The reason he is so devastating to the community is because he gives the people who don't have a real life something to focus their attention on, instead of paying attention to the real problems and becoming productive members of our community. This kind of mentality produces the childish crap that people like coutry 123 is throwing out.

People were selling drugs in this town long before Johnny Clark became sheriff, the problem is we still have some of the same ones that were doing it then doing it now. No one has ever addressed the issue. WHERE do we need to make changes so we can end this cycle? A festering sore will only get worse if left unattended, that is what this post is about.

AGAIN, either address the issue with open eyes or shut up! This thing about pointing fingers to avoid blame has to stop! I admit my involvement in the issues over the past are not something to be proud of, but I refuse to continue that away. So JC if it is your fault be a man and admit it! SC the tax payers want justice, and they don't feel they are getting it, STEP UP! City board focus on the issues and quit being part of the problem!

TOO MUCH TO ASK!
Felix Leiter

Chagrin Falls, OH

#18 Jan 19, 2008
While I am on a role here on Topix, or I can't sleep which ever the case may be.
007 Bond wrote:
ANYONE that says there is no crime problem in Puxico is a liar!!!!
ANYONE that says there is rug problem in Puxico is a liar!!!!!
Anyone that can't see they are in a handbasket is blind!!!!!
Don't exactly know what is meant by "rug problem". But if the amount of parolees we have meeting their parole officer on Thursday and Tuesday is any indication of the problem I would say evidence is quite compelling. Businessman dealing out of his place of business next to the cop shop says either he was brave or all the less noticeable places were full.
SCCC wrote:
Did anyone notice the police car parked all night last night at the site of last weeks business breakin? Looked like JC sitting in it at the wheel, but in the daylight, it turned out to just be a dummy with a hat hung on the seat. Fooled me, but I'm sure it made the town much safer.
Sorry this is taken from another thread. But it is nice to know that a few things that are posted on this forum are getting addressed. We now have a replacement for the dummy. Since the board couldn't decide how to address the issue of working out scheduling conflicts with our night marshal working during the day, they hired a live replacement for the dummy. Nice move since they reported that the budget was done in the red 40 some hundred dollars. Just a though why not work the night marshal during the night, I know that is crazy but it is just a thought.
Issue was brought up by school super to have speed bumps placed around the school. Again this is just a thought, why not get our local law enforcement out of the coffee shop and patrol around the school before school. Little Johnny brings home a couple of speeding and C&I tickets, HE may be encouraged to drive like he has a little sense. And if little Johnny gets pulled over every time he lights up the tires maybe little Joey will have enough sense to know it is not acceptable behavior.
007 Bond wrote:
People were selling drugs in this town long before Johnny Clark became sheriff, the problem is we still have some of the same ones that were doing it then doing it now. No one has ever addressed the issue. WHERE do we need to make changes so we can end this cycle? A festering sore will only get worse if left unattended, that is what this post is about.
If this is true then why can't we get something done about it? How can people openly continue in their dirty deeds?
Maybe the problem lies not with law enforcement maybe we need to, and I am speaking to the citizens GROW A SPINE and say we are not going to take it anymore.Here is a link that might be of interest http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/police/programs/s...
In the mean time, You all see this basket???? It is mine!!!!! You keep your grubby little paws off of it!!!!!!!
Felix Leiter

Chagrin Falls, OH

#19 Jan 21, 2008
Just read this on the daily statesman web site it was a comment under a article about the businessman dealer in Puxico. From the screen name one could possibly assume it is some of the victims family. But this brings up a serious question, and maybe an eyeopening realization for some as to how far reaching and life altering un-addressed crime can be.

[I]After reading this article, I can't help but wonder if these three drug dealers could be the ones who sold the opiates and barbituates to Jason Merrill around the time he killed 2 of my family members by driving his car head-on into their motorcycle. If the two cases could somehow be linked, could they too be charged with manslaughter or some other type of charge that relates to killing people?
-- Posted by aubuchon on Mon, Jan 14, 2008, at 12:22 PM [/I]
Jeff Holloway

United States

#20 Jan 21, 2008
coutry 123 wrote:
Coutry 123. First, let me explain why I am responding to your post. I have received several calls and countless comments about it over the past several days, so I went to this site to read it for myself. I must say I was a little overwhelmed in trying to decipher what you were getting at. I would like to suggest that you request your employer to purchase Office or some other software with spell-check it’s great.

Now to the issues you have accused me of. I will continue to address you as ‘coutry’ if you so wish, but you really should put a gag order on some of your volunteers, they let the cat out of the bag while talking about how mad you were when you posted it.

What is your problem? The computer you have attempted to make an issue of for four years? The only issue concerning a computer was the one you and some others tried to create to no avail. You managed to put a front-page story or two in the Puxico Press slandering me concerning it. You have also managed a couple other front-page stories on other issues that had little or no truth to them and were very slanderous in their content. And you know what? The paper never once contacted me for my comment on any of them.

The city license issue you bring up. I was mailed a ticket on that a couple years ago and appeared in city court remember? I was told I was not required to purchase a license then and they tell me the same thing today. Anyone who doubts this should ask the city clerk.

This $1,300 of grant funds you say I kept? I have no answer to this because I haven’t the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. I suggest you speak with the mayor at the time. He kept the grant checkbook in his desk and wrote and signed the checks himself.

You have threatened me with bodily harm and my life while at your job more than once with witnesses present. You have written letters with false statements to state and federal agencies concerning my work and myself. You have tried in so many ways to set me up. You have harassed and slandered me continually in this community I call home. You have had a tremendously negative impact on my livelihood with your slanderous remarks and letters concerning my business. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puxico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More Republicans arrested for bathroom perversi... 30 min Smackdown2017 22
Democrats supporting illegal immigrants over Am... 40 min Deezknutts 4
Need some UNDERAGE PPUUSSSSYY 40 min Ramblin man 1
nicole lynn 41 min stan 9
Looking for Brandon Wilburn 54 min Study 67
Nine is way too big 1 hr Wondering 2
Funding question 2 hr Evelyn 4

Puxico Jobs

Personal Finance

Puxico Mortgages