Letter Box

Nov 12, 2010 Read more: Brattleboro Reformer 9
I am glad you responded to the recent incident in Bellows Falls where a visitor to the community was apparently denied services because of his race/color with your editorial "Stamping out hatred." It is important to support demonstrations against what is or appears to be racist or diminishing behavior, no matter how big or small. Read more
Bob Stannard

Randolph, NJ

#1 Nov 12, 2010
In his letter Stephen McConnel uses the following quote, "The power produced by Yankee (which) is crucial to the state’s economic recovery...". He further states that we will see "huge increases in our rates by buying off the grid and from 30 cent per kilowatt hour (versus the 4 cents we now pay) for unreliable wind and solar."

Apparently whoever is providing Mr. McConnel with information neglected to tell him that the only offer on the table from VY is to reduce the power that they would sell to Vermont from 250mgw down to 115mgw. Of the remaining 115mgw they would sell us they would increase the price by 50%. Buying power from the grid does not translate into buying all our power at 30 cents per kwhr.

He also neglected to mention that the plant has leaked tritium into the groundwater down to the bedrock. The plant is old and getting older. It recently shut down because it sprung yet another leak. We should expect to see more and more failures due to fatigue and when the plant shuts down and becomes less reliable we will still be buying power from the grid, which currently has a excess of power and the rates are at or below what we are currently paying VY.

Add to this the potential costs of decommissioning the plant which could cost Vermont taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars and it becomes quite clear that this aged plant should not be in Vermont's portfolio for the next 20 years.

Howard Shaffer

Marlborough, MA

#2 Nov 12, 2010
I thought the Memorandum of Understanding price structure is what stands now. This was agreed to and signed when the plant was sold.

What has happened is that the power companies thought they had VY over a barrel and tried to negotiate a better deal. Not getting one, the opponents say "no deal is in place." This is politics at its finest. Just like in Montpelier, Concord and Washington, when a department asks for a budget with a 5% increase and the Legislature gives 3%, and is accused of "cutting the budget."

What is amusing is that pressure was put on the power companies to sell VY. Now some of the same people complain that it is owned by an out of state company. How about the out of country company that was going to own the wind farm in IRA?

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#3 Nov 13, 2010
What do we gain by closing Vermont Yankee?

Editor of the Reformer:

While attending a recent debate between candidates, a very smart gentleman asked the question "What do we gain by closing Vermont Yankee?." There was the usual hemming and hawing without any real comment, but the answer has become clear.

We gain "overload problems on the New England grid" and we lose "The power produced by Yankee (which) is crucial to the state’s economic recovery...".(both from the Reformer of 11/6-7/2010). Makes one wonder why the Reformer has taken such a defamatory stance toward the electric plant; taking every tiny problem and attempting to create mass hysteria about it.

So what do we gain? Electricity from coal plants in the mid west, electricity from Canada’s nuclear plants, electricity from burning carbon fuels such as natural gas; and finally, we gain huge increases in our rates by buying off the grid and from 30 cent per kilowatt hour (versus the 4 cents we now pay) for unreliable wind and solar.

And all it cost us (besides raising our rates by 30 percent) is 650 jobs, and losing $100 million in taxes, benefits, and contributions. Seems like a great idea.
I Know More Than You

Peterborough, NH

#4 Nov 13, 2010
Bob aka the Paid Shill Stannard wrote:
Typical pack of lies from renowned nuclear expert since 2007 <snicker>
Good little paid lackey, keep repeating the lies your bosses pay to say.

Exactly how is VT going get stuck paid for decommissioning? Just because you keep repeating it, doesn't make it true.

S. Londonderry VT

#5 Nov 13, 2010
I Know More Than You wrote:
<quoted text>
Good little paid lackey, keep repeating the lies your bosses pay to say.
Exactly how is VT going get stuck paid for decommissioning? Just because you keep repeating it, doesn't make it true.
Typical pack of lies from Entergy paid lackeys, aka VY employees.

Good riddance! Watch that door.

And, your still a troll!
I Know More Than You

Peterborough, NH

#6 Nov 13, 2010
northstaridiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical pack of lies from Entergy paid lackeys, aka VY employees.
Sorry to disappoint sugarplum, Entergy doesn't pay my salary.

Let me ask again for you idiots to prove it or wire it shut.

"Exactly how is VT going get stuck paid for decommissioning? Just because you keep repeating it, doesn't make it true."

S. Londonderry VT

#7 Nov 13, 2010
Wrong comment dummy. I didn't make it. However, it's not out of the question or Entergy would have no problem anteing up.

So, you just do this for fun? Seriously???

You or significant other work @ the plant or you would not be so desperate.
I Know More Than You

Peterborough, NH

#8 Nov 13, 2010
northstaridiot wrote:
However, it's not out of the question or Entergy would have no problem anteing up.
I see you still have no proof but yet you refuse to follow your own advice and wire it shut. So now you are a hypocrite as well as a pathological liar.

You don't even understand the simple concept of time value of money. I highly doubt you were ever educated. Just one more lie out of that sewer you call a mouth.
Interesting

Bennington, VT

#9 Nov 15, 2010
lie?

Interesting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Putney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police Log (Jan '09) Apr 13 shelby 80
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Apr 10 Shocked with pain... 2
News UHSD 27 budget to go up less than 1 percent des... Mar '15 Andrew Andrews 1
News Kindle Farm teacher awarded $25,000 (Oct '08) Mar '15 Toni 18
News Man accuses judge of extortion, theft (Apr '09) Jan '15 AdamChandler 29
News Business Buzz (Sep '14) Sep '14 Autumn Is Best 1
Naulakha (Aug '14) Aug '14 Brian Harris 1
More from around the web

Putney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]