Shumlin for governor

Shumlin for governor

There are 16 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Oct 22, 2010, titled Shumlin for governor. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

State Senate President Pro Tem Peter Shumlin of Putney has come into his own as a political leader on a statewide level over the past several years, raising his profile and, with that, proving he is willing to take a controversial stand and can get things done.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Yeah ok

Albany, NY

#1 Oct 23, 2010
Interesting how the speeding ticket story got buried under the pile of dirty laundry!! He could of killed someone!! Guess he thinks he's above the law. OOppps!! That was negative,sorry!!
Just Another Joe

AOL

#2 Oct 23, 2010
Yeah ok wrote:
Interesting how the speeding ticket story got buried under the pile of dirty laundry!! He could of killed someone!! Guess he thinks he's above the law. OOppps!! That was negative,sorry!!
I think Peter Shumlin should be elected Governor. He is not a Republican Party Hack and extension of the god awful Republican Party which put Vermont and the rest of the country where it is today. I for one do not want to hand this state to those who practically destroyed the country in eight years. The LAST thing we should be doing is electing ANY Republican to ANY office.

Speeding ticket? No, that's not what I'd put on my resume if I were job hunting, but it's not a capital offense either. "He could of killed someone"? Coulda, woulda, shoulda as my father used to say. He didn't. I wonder how many other Vermonters have gotten speeding tickets in their lifetimes.
Jackie O

Middlebury, VT

#3 Oct 23, 2010
He is the man.
Yeah ok

Albany, NY

#4 Oct 23, 2010
Just Another Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Peter Shumlin should be elected Governor. He is not a Republican Party Hack and extension of the god awful Republican Party which put Vermont and the rest of the country where it is today. I for one do not want to hand this state to those who practically destroyed the country in eight years. The LAST thing we should be doing is electing ANY Republican to ANY office.
Speeding ticket? No, that's not what I'd put on my resume if I were job hunting, but it's not a capital offense either. "He could of killed someone"? Coulda, woulda, shoulda as my father used to say. He didn't. I wonder how many other Vermonters have gotten speeding tickets in their lifetimes.
LOL!!! You just proved my point. Thank you!
blondie

Bennington, VT

#5 Oct 23, 2010
liberal paper endorses liberal-what a surprise,
be careful what you wish for, Oops, already happened Obama fans.
Integrity is everything

Wichita, KS

#6 Oct 23, 2010
I believe the point the first poster was making was lost. The reference was to Mr. Shumlin's integrity. He received a speeding ticket and allowed Vermont State Police to "fix" it. If one chooses to engage in a behavior, one should have the integrity to accept the consequences of that behavior. The issue was not the speeding ticket. The issue is the lack of integrity and the attempt to sidestep legal process.(When I receive tickets, I have to pay them). The issue is that as a Senator, he placed the Vermont State Police Department in an inappropriate position. Who is castigated? Only the troopers when Mr. Shumlin also owned a piece of this. This concerns me. N.Y. witnessed the result of becoming the laughing stock of the nation due to their Governor's lack of integrity in engaging call girls and using the N.Y. State Police as a pawn in his personal investigatory police force against then Senator Bruno. Mr. Shumlin has provided a glimpse of who he is. Let us all believe him.
Warner Brothers Star

Stowe, VT

#7 Oct 23, 2010
blondie wrote:
liberal paper endorses liberal-what a surprise,
be careful what you wish for, Oops, already happened Obama fans.
Cue Captain Renard.

Shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you!
Jeff Phillips

Montpelier, VT

#8 Oct 24, 2010
Just Another Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, He's a democrat party hack. They're better, huh?

More people see the comparison between Obama and Bush and actually say they want Bush back! At least they had a job.

And it's a shame we have somebody who is so blind s/he won't vote for somebody simply because of the party s/he belongs to. There are good people in BOTH parties. And there are bad people in BOTH parties.
Lilly

Essex Junction, VT

#9 Oct 24, 2010
The race for Governor is virtually a tie. Both candidates have spent too much time on negative campaigning. Lets wait see who else the Banner endorses before blindly calling it a liberal paper.

As Jeff said there are good and bad in both parties. If the Banner doesn't endorse bi-partisan leaders like Phil Scott or Tom Salmon and local reps, like Mary Morrissey, Anne Mook,Tim Corcoron and Joe Krawczyk who have worked across the aisle then it stands to reason they are bias.

It would be nice if there was some balance in the Senate too. Endorsing Sears and Woodard would make sense.
ARealVermonter

Harwich, MA

#10 Oct 25, 2010
Lilly wrote:
The race for Governor is virtually a tie. Both candidates have spent too much time on negative campaigning. Lets wait see who else the Banner endorses before blindly calling it a liberal paper.
As Jeff said there are good and bad in both parties. If the Banner doesn't endorse bi-partisan leaders like Phil Scott or Tom Salmon and local reps, like Mary Morrissey, Anne Mook,Tim Corcoron and Joe Krawczyk who have worked across the aisle then it stands to reason they are bias.
It would be nice if there was some balance in the Senate too. Endorsing Sears and Woodard would make sense.
Name one issue where Mary Morrissey reached across the aisle. Unlike the others you mention, Morrissey is 100% partisan and very mean-spirited.
ARealVermonter

Harwich, MA

#11 Oct 25, 2010
and Oooh, Shumlin got a speeding ticket. Big deal. I bet he's got a few parking tickets that he's also paid.

The Republicans are so desperate that they had to snatch the video of Shumlin being pulled over; like some cop show.

To bad the police wouldn't turn over the video of Salmon getting yanked over for DUI. Which is worse there YeahOK? I'd like to meet the one person who's never exceeded the speed limit on the interstate. I would not, however, like to meet the many people who drive drunk like Tom Salmon (both of them; father and son)
Integrity is everything

Wichita, KS

#12 Oct 25, 2010
You are missing the point. I agree, many receive speeding tickets. However, Mr. Shumlin allowed the ticket to be covered up rather than stepping up until the press addressed the issue. He allowed a department of the State of Vermont (state police) to have their credibility impacted negatively. If you don't want to accept responsibility for something as every day as a speeding ticket, what will occur with the big ticket items? Tom Salmon went to the press when his legal issue occurred, like a grown man accepted responsibility, and apologized. Maybe Mr. Salmon should have run for Governor.
Kelly

South Hadley, MA

#13 Oct 25, 2010
Give me a break! You would give up the best opportunity Vermont has had in years over a traffic ticket? I guess all government has to go and we will have to fend for ourselves. What a bunch of idiot voters who will be at the polls this year.
Arthur

Montpelier, VT

#14 Oct 25, 2010
Yeah ok wrote:
No one ever accused him of reckless driving and he paid the ticket.
Arthur

Montpelier, VT

#15 Oct 25, 2010
Integrity is everything wrote:
You are missing the point. I agree, many receive speeding tickets. However, Mr. Shumlin allowed the ticket to be covered up rather than stepping up until the press addressed the issue. He allowed a department of the State of Vermont (state police) to have their credibility impacted negatively. If you don't want to accept responsibility for something as every day as a speeding ticket, what will occur with the big ticket items? Tom Salmon went to the press when his legal issue occurred, like a grown man accepted responsibility, and apologized. Maybe Mr. Salmon should have run for Governor.
Salmon left the scene of an accident. Shumlin promptly paid the ticket. I was not aware of any requirement for public confessions of a simple speeding ticket. Get real.
Arthur

Montpelier, VT

#16 Oct 25, 2010
Correction, I think it was Gibbs who left the accident he had. My apology, but still this is a speeding ticket we're talking about here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Putney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police Log May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
Meaning of the name "Seward" May '16 peter gumaer ogden 1
News Man accuses judge of extortion, theft (Apr '09) Jan '16 Anonymous two 31
lost dog (Dec '15) Dec '15 Stephanie Maynard 1
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Apr '15 Shocked with pain... 2
News Business Buzz (Sep '14) Sep '14 Autumn Is Best 1
News Clark seeks third term as sheriff (Jun '14) Jul '14 vern 39

Putney Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance