Slimantics: BP settlement offers ethi...

Slimantics: BP settlement offers ethical dilemma

There are 12 comments on the Commercial Dispatch story from Oct 31, 2012, titled Slimantics: BP settlement offers ethical dilemma. In it, Commercial Dispatch reports that:

Luckey, an attorney from Ocean Springs who is intimately involved in the legal proceedings that resulted from the BP oil spill, had a fascinating story to tell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Commercial Dispatch.

anon

Tupelo, MS

#1 Nov 1, 2012
MS has no problem taking funds they did not earn. A state that does not adhere to its ethics will never be great.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#2 Nov 1, 2012
This state survives on federal welfare. We take in 2 dollars or so for every one we pay back to the federal govt.

I got this state from the state Insurance Comm. a few years ago: the coast provides about 40% of the state general fund here in Mississippi. You say "so what?" Well, we're only about 10-12% of the population of this state. We're paying near triple our load.

But if you break it down further Ingalls & a few of the other shipyards like Halter Marine get their money from the Dept of Defense. They don't like calling themselves such but the ppl @ Ingalls are glorified federal employees, only without all the legal protections. We have other military contractors here in Jackson Co. or govt contractors who sponge off the federal govt.

And then when you look @ Harrison Co you have 2 VA hospitals/retirement homes, a big air force base & a big navy base. And then you have NASA over in Hancock Co.

And then many other ppl who live down here work either in the military as in the reserves or guard or they work in health care related fields that get money from medicare/caid.

The entire military base/NASA/shipyards/hospitals/ retirement homes/etc industry "portfolio" on the coast is over-reliant on the federal govt for bailing them out. This is why I'm so baffled that Palazzo & the other Republicans locally are so against higher taxes. How the hell else are they going to pay for the ships @ Ingalls?
anon

Tupelo, MS

#3 Nov 1, 2012
"How the hell else are they going to pay for the ships @ Ingalls? "
==========
Could it be that we could remove the cultural laws and invite the creative class?

Allow research such as cloning and stem cell. Allow a lottery and planned parenthood clinics. Legalize medical Marijuana. Start culture of entrepreneurs.

Make it difficult for single parents to have children. Require birth control education.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#4 Nov 4, 2012
anon wrote:
"How the hell else are they going to pay for the ships @ Ingalls? "
==========
Could it be that we could remove the cultural laws and invite the creative class?
Allow research such as cloning and stem cell. Allow a lottery and planned parenthood clinics. Legalize medical Marijuana. Start culture of entrepreneurs.
Make it difficult for single parents to have children. Require birth control education.
Huh? What does that have to do with raising taxes?
anon

Tupelo, MS

#5 Nov 5, 2012
gulf wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? What does that have to do with raising taxes?
When you reduce government controls you reduce government expenses. Then they need less money and that means less taxes. The more economic activity you have the more income people make that ends up increasing the total income to the government without raising taxes. Economics 101 Education is the major reason Mississippi lacks independence from the federal government. You take their education money and are trained to be a slave rather than independent and free to dispute the fed policies.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#6 Nov 6, 2012
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
When you reduce government controls you reduce government expenses. Then they need less money and that means less taxes. The more economic activity you have the more income people make that ends up increasing the total income to the government without raising taxes. Economics 101 Education is the major reason Mississippi lacks independence from the federal government. You take their education money and are trained to be a slave rather than independent and free to dispute the fed policies.
Yeah but its all a ponzi scheme man. We get 2 bucks for every 1 we get from the Feds. The coast is over-reliant on federal govt spending in one way or the other. Ingalls, the other shipyards, anybody who uses Medicaid/care money, NASA in Hancock Co., the military bases in Forrest & Harrison Co., etc. And yet the coast provides 40% of the state's general budget. The Fed's are probably providing MORE than 2 bucks for every one we pay back but that's being nice.

The problem is that we can't do the libertarian dream you're thinking of. It sounds good on paper but it won't happen. I'm modestly open to a few things that you said, like making birth control a requirement for welfare & stuff like that but that whole 'the govt takes in more taxes when you lower them' is nonsense.

The federal govt should be expanding its reach -- just regulating stupid ppl more -- not necessarily "cutting ppl off" -- works in theory, not in practice.

You cut off the welfare the white trash & blacks will turn to crime & you know it. We need more govt, not less.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#7 Nov 6, 2012
In the 2 sentence above I meant to say "we get 2 bucks for every 1 we pay out to the Feds."

We're on federal welfare. Not the other way around, I don't believe in all that state rights crap. That's a load of shit delusional rednecks pump themselves up into believing. Without federal welfare we'd be bankrupt in this miserable state in another few years.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#8 Nov 6, 2012
"You cut off the welfare the white trash & blacks will turn to crime & you know it. We need more govt, not less. "
==========
Read Freakenomics. Before the welfare we had much more responsible parents that needed to join efforts to have children. Private charity helped those in poverty be productive without all the red tape and waiting lines of government programs. People defended their property and reported crime rather than accept a criminal as a neighbor. We had less people in prison. The less you control people the more responsibility they accept for their own life.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#9 Nov 7, 2012
anon wrote:
"You cut off the welfare the white trash & blacks will turn to crime & you know it. We need more govt, not less. "
==========
Read Freakenomics. Before the welfare we had much more responsible parents that needed to join efforts to have children. Private charity helped those in poverty be productive without all the red tape and waiting lines of government programs. People defended their property and reported crime rather than accept a criminal as a neighbor. We had less people in prison. The less you control people the more responsibility they accept for their own life.
Sorry man guess I just don't believe in the same kind of good-nature about humans.

I've been around these kinds of ppl most of my life & I only see the worst in ppl. Ppl near where I live are mostly thieves & that sort.

If you live around the kind of ppl you talk about in your post then you are very lucky. Good luck to you, if you can live in a local society like that. You're luckier than I am.

Where I"m from you have to step on somebody's throat or they'll step on yours.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#10 Nov 7, 2012
"You're luckier than I am."
==========
There is no such thing as luck only cause and effect. Have you reported the crime? If not you created the situation you are in. If they are arrested you have less of a chance of getting hurt by them. Now you just have to eliminate their friends in crime and eventually they all will be gone. It takes your civic responsibility to make a difference. In my neighborhood the citizens pick up the trash put down by the low life lawn caretakers.
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#11 Nov 8, 2012
anon wrote:
"You're luckier than I am."
==========
There is no such thing as luck only cause and effect. Have you reported the crime? If not you created the situation you are in. If they are arrested you have less of a chance of getting hurt by them. Now you just have to eliminate their friends in crime and eventually they all will be gone. It takes your civic responsibility to make a difference. In my neighborhood the citizens pick up the trash put down by the low life lawn caretakers.
Its a lower class mainly black neighborhood with a few 25-50 year old white crackheads. It used to be quite decent back in the day. No place is perfect of course but reporting the crimes does little. The police know about the nonsense but they're understaffed, underpaid, & the trashy ppl walk in my neighborhood literally 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There's ALWAYS somebody out in the street @ all hrs of the day & night. If I reported every other crackhead & drunk who walks up & down the street & "suspicious character" the cops would cite me for wasting their time.

I would move, & I'm looking to move. I just lack the moolah. It was a working class neighborhood that's just slowly decayed, its quite sad, but really all you can do is stay inside & avoid the ppl. All they ever do is harass you for money, rides, phones, or cigarettes, otherwise, they leave me alone.

Sadly with this economy being the way it is -- it'll probably get worse. I need to get out of here & I will the second I get enough $ to do so.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#12 Nov 9, 2012
If the police do not enforce the laws report them. You have justified your contribution to the crime and situation you have created.

You also could use the media to catch negligent police officers. No action is not an excuse. It takes all the public doing their civic duties to have a safe environment. There is not enough tax money to have more police so the public has to pick up the slack. You can make a citizens arrest also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purvis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiare Lee-Foster Thu Unknown 2
Stone County Hospital Admin hast lost their minds! Jul 25 Let the Truth be ... 1
Bigfoot Sightings Near Hattiesburg (Dec '06) Jul 10 Jennifer Bussell ... 8
Flags flying half staff for Orlando victims???? Jul 8 The Call Out Guy 2
News Lamar County leaders react to Hattiesburg's ann... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Christmas lights display (Dec '05) Dec '15 Bel 6
Local Politics Do you approve of Ken Morgan as State Represent... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Harry Griffith 1

Purvis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Purvis Mortgages