Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

I thought we ( the voters) got rid of the previous council members because they did NOTHING to benefit us. WELL..........What have we learned lately ? All this "new" council is doing is micro-managing various departments of the borough. I think we have "been had" once again. There is not one person who is for the public and the borough, they all seem to have their own agendas ! We need to step up and put them in their place. We are their bosses........vote them out and get non-business persons who are only out for the best of town !
Eskimo

Curwensville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Jen wrote:
I thought we ( the voters) got rid of the previous council members because they did NOTHING to benefit us. WELL..........What have we learned lately ? All this "new" council is doing is micro-managing various departments of the borough. I think we have "been had" once again. There is not one person who is for the public and the borough, they all seem to have their own agendas ! We need to step up and put them in their place. We are their bosses........vote them out and get non-business persons who are only out for the best of town !
Examples?
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

What would you like council to do? Go to a meeting or send them a letter and ask. If they feel it is good for the entire community (not just a few people) they will do it. It is best to go through the borugh manager or his secretary. They have to pass on the letters to all of the council people. I think there is a meeting coming up, maybe tonight.
Peg

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Council takes from the tax collector, but have they considered the higher ups. Doesn't Beb White "earn" over $100,000.oo in the little burg ?
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Peg, get your facts straight. "Beb White" doesn't make anywhere near that figure, I think it is about half that. It is public info, just go ask instead of blowing smoke.
Peg

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Hey Sam.....sorry.....a simple typeo !

Are you a hiding council person or borough official/administrator that you defend so quickly ?
This town has approxmiately 6000 or less people, why do we need /have highly paid "leaders" etc ?Most of the residents here live on minimum wage or welfare. I guess it's as my prandparents said
"those that have, get" Even if BEN gets less that than why do we actually need someone with his job description and pay scale ?
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Jealous much Peg?
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

I defend Council AND the employees because they do so much good that you apparently don't appreciate. Most of the residents will never know all they do to help Punxsy. The manager has to coordinate with the State officials, PennDot, Penelec, the other utilities, write grants (unless you want higher taxes??), make sure all Borough services are being provided, write the budget, oversee 50+ employees, and a host of other things. He has to know Borough laws, State law, Federal regs, Vehicle Code, street maintenance, and employment law. Yet his door is open to the public for all complaints, big and small. An example: a few years back (during Bob Sloniger's time) there was a fellow who couldn't get along with his neighbor. "Please, please help me, I'm so put-upon". The magistrate's office was where that fellow needed to go and he eventually ended up there, but as the defendant. There are two sides to a story and he was on the wrong side. That sort of thing happens all the time. No one solves their own problems anymore, they all want government to do it...and give them a handout too. Who do you think gets called when someone's alley isn't plowed fast enough, or they had "too much oil" put on it, or they can't get action on something fast enough to suit them? The Borough offices and Council get called. Who is there during an emergency (like the '96 flood) getting people help? They are. Did you get a letter because you didn't mow your grass or clear your sidewalk? Did your dog get loose for the twentieth time and finally get hauled to the pound? Call the manager or Council and complain, surely they will make everything all better. It couldn't be your fault, even though those laws have been on the books for years. I'm 70+ years young, and even if I was 40 years younger I wouldn't want Mr. White's job. I don't think he is paid enough.
Peg

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

You are the exception Sam.
Mr Obvious

Punxsutawney, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Peg wrote:
Hey Sam.....sorry.....a simple typeo !
Are you a hiding council person or borough official/administrator that you defend so quickly ?
This town has approxmiately 6000 or less people, why do we need /have highly paid "leaders" etc ?Most of the residents here live on minimum wage or welfare. I guess it's as my prandparents said
"those that have, get" Even if BEN gets less that than why do we actually need someone with his job description and pay scale ?
Hate to say, but it's their own damn fault if they are living on welfare or minimum wage.
Just as my grand parents and parents taught me "don't depend on anyone but yourself to make your life better and if you want something get your butt out there and work hard for it.
But then again the rule in Punxsutawney and the surrounding area is it's easier to continue the long history of the generational welfare family tree than it is to actually get a damn job and EARN your own damn way....
Peg

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

I don't disagree, Mr. Obvious. Yes, it is "their" fault they are on welfare and under employed or unemployed and it becomes our (the employed and responsible) to suport all of them. No taxes etc from them, probably not homeowners either I have known people who chose to move to Jefferson County, specificall Punxsutawney because the welfare benefits are easy to obtain. You sound like you are the baby boomer generation also and yes, we were taught and trained to stand on our own! Then, we in turn spoiled the hell out of our own children because we felt guilty and felt they should not survive without like we did.
I will get off my soapbox now
loophole

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

where are the jobs???? town is playing the (ground hog) card well....but it will end.... where are the jobs??????
Eskimo

Patton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Universal Well Service has been looking to hire people for over a month now. BFG hiring. 14 ads in the Spirit today. Career link has lots posted. If your willing to work, pass the drug test and show up on time every day you can find work.
Many travel to Indiana, Dubois, Brookville, ect. as do I.
According to the 2010 census Punxsy poverty level was at 15.6% Dubois at 21.2% Indiana at 23.7%
Median household income Punxsy 37,500 Dubois 39,590 Indiana 34,674
Per capita income Punxsy 21,451 Dubois 19,880 Indiana 22,883
Punxsy is right in the mix. If your sure you can do better run for office and let us see your game.

Not gona make it easy for you to find the data. Just a hint Google is your friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Punxsutawney Discussions

Search the Punxsutawney Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 7 hr Big Daddy 3,812
drugs in punxsutawney Thu norm 14
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Wed More Settled Science 51,184
stop light at bridge project Jul 18 Sam 30
the park Jul 15 omg 14
new punxy hotel Jul 14 Dumbass 5
return to amish Jul 14 Toni 21
•••
•••
•••
Punxsutawney Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Punxsutawney Jobs