PAEA president Gill fires back at sch...

PAEA president Gill fires back at school board regarding ratified contract

There are 11 comments on the Spirit story from Feb 5, 2013, titled PAEA president Gill fires back at school board regarding ratified contract. In it, Spirit reports that:

At Tuesday night's voting meeting of the Punxsutawney Area School Board, the president of the Punxsutawney Area Education Association responded to comments made by several school board members during the board's Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spirit.

Holly

Punxsutawney, PA

#1 Feb 6, 2013
I think the teachers should have a random drug test policy. The taxpayer pays their salary and I don't want my money being spent on someone that goes and smokes up at night or worse. I don't know what right they think is being violated by pissing in a cup the military and police both have random drug testing policies. What makes the teachers better then the other professions that have drug testing policies?
sid

United States

#2 Feb 6, 2013
there smarter and more educated, thay know how to use drugs in a safe way,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol

Since: Apr 12

Punxsutawney, PA

#3 Feb 6, 2013
I agree in my current job I am subject to randomized drug testing at anytime, I know if I had a kid in the Punxsy schools I would not want some burnt out junkie teaching my kids. The only ones that should have a problem with it are the ones that are on drugs and don't want to get caught.
norm

United States

#4 Feb 6, 2013
its a job ,, thats brings basic strangers in contack with are children, radom testing should be mandatory ,, trust is not given anymore,,
jimmie

Punxsutawney, PA

#5 Feb 7, 2013
most teachers i know are ok ,,,but some i think don,t have any comensence,,,and could not pore piss out of a boot if the instructions wher printed on the bottom of the heel,,and i would bet some of them could not pass a drug test,,,,,
carly

Punxsutawney, PA

#6 Feb 10, 2013
i atended punxsutawney highschool,,thinking back i can belive some of the teachers were on something, or at the very least hung over,,
ding dong

Punxsutawney, PA

#7 Feb 11, 2013
anyone paid with taxpayer money should be subject to drug testing. Teachers, police, Penn-dot, congress people, welfare...all of them.
I work too hard for what I have to see my tax dollars being used for drug abuse.
Mr Obvious

Punxsutawney, PA

#8 Feb 12, 2013
This Gill fellow and his members in the PASD need to quit blowing smoke up the tax payers butts about drug and alcohol testing being unconstitutional.

Mandatory drug and alcohol testing and random testing has been around for many years in the public and private sector companies and businesses.

They have no problems with their members having to go through mandatory State and Federal criminal background checks and child abuse checks so why is it so wrong for them to be drug and alcohol tested randomly to be sure they're fit for duty teaching our children??

In my opinion this is just another tactic by the PAEA and its members to squeeze even more money from the already overburdened tax payers for higher wages and benefits.

The PASD school board needs to take a firm stand on this issue and not cave into the PAEA and its scare tactics.
Bunker

Du Bois, PA

#9 Feb 12, 2013
You are correct that drug testing has been around for years. In fact, the teachers in the PAEA are currently allowed to be tested by the school board at any time if there is suspicion of drug use.

State and federal background checks are obviously not required by the school district, but by state mandate, so the PAEA has no say in whether they have a problem submitting to them. Since it is not the school district or the PAEA's decision to require or submit to background checks, I am not sure how that is relevant.

If the PASD desires to "stand firm" on testing their teachers, I support that whole-heartedly. In fact, if they are NOT testing teachers who they suspect may be using, then I think the school board and administration should be held liable for not protecting our students! But instituting a drug-testing policy across the board will do nothing but ADD more money to your "already overburdened tax payers".
Laurie

Bellefonte, PA

#10 Feb 12, 2013
This is not a new problem ! I went to the area high school in the 60's. Teachers , even at that time, were known to have flasks, bottles and thermos' filled with alcohol. Anyone , and I mean ANYONE employed by the state or federal govenment and anyone around children should be mandatorily tested !!
The biggest problems are always in our own back yards
blinkie

Punxsutawney, PA

#11 Feb 13, 2013
gill is just a dick head ,,,just look at him ,,my god,, some one should show him who,s in charge and not back down,,,why should we back down whats he going to do,,,drug testing make sence ,,only a non thinking burnd out drug user or a idiot ,,would object to such,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Punxsutawney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
information on Pantall and Robinson families In... (Jul '12) Jan 13 dchall8 5
Punxsy Board have the votes to close elementary... Jan 12 Buck Wheat 6
Taco Bell Jan 6 Juan 2
Dirty stores of Punxsy (Aug '15) Jan 1 Wooly booger 9
Trumped The Budget Dec 21 eggmcmuffin 1
How do you think President Trump is doing? (Jun '17) Oct '17 GraspTheObvous 20
Cocaine Sep '17 Sweepitunder 2

Punxsutawney Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance