Angry crowd argues against sewers

Jun 19, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: North Port Sun

An angry, rowdy crowd of some 300 residents opposed to a proposed sewer project in their Spring Lake neighborhoods filled the Charlotte County Commission chambers Monday evening, insisting that officials provide proof that their septic tanks are polluting nearby waterways.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Nov 11, 2013
Colleen Matto

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Yes, we are upset, the County has not provided any evidence our Septics are polluting anything. Most of all of these residents are still suffering from the recession, job losses, and live on a fixed income, the County commisioners do not care, lets see if one of them could live on 20 thousand a year and support a household. We the people say No,to sewers, they create more problems then do good. Its all about the Money, and their are some deep pockets out there that never have enough.
NathanWalker

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

I have been looking for someone to come fix our sewer as well. Our sewer has been pretty bad lately. I need some help to see if www.thegentlemenplumberscalgary.com is a good company. If you could help that would be great. Thank you.
tony

Punta Gorda, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

I don't know how long my septic will last I sure know I cant afford to replace it when it does and I wouldn't want a big tall mound in my lawn so I wouldnt mind it

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

with out trying to offend you Colleen the data is out there and if you refuse to open you eyes nobody, not the county nor anyone else can convince you. try a public records request for the testing results from the beach sampling program. the exceedingly high amount of bacteria after a rain event clearly indicate that as the spring lake area "flushes" and bacteria levels increase to dangerous levels such that public health is a real issue and the beach is closed. the bacteria tested for is from the human bowel, it's not a result of runoff or the data isn't skewed due to a major commercial farm. the bacteria level in the water is dangerous because sandy soils do not retain waste water long enough to allow for microbial breakdown of waste while in the soil.

the county commissioners are trying to prevent the legal penalties the county could face for continual refusal to adhere to the Clean Water Act. I am sensitive to your plight but the economic status doesn't negate the science. The information is there if you are willing to look. The evidence of ecological degradation in the waters across the state, nation and world is plain to see and impossible to deny. Your defense is that the project is cost prohibitive, and I don't disagree, but lets not pretend that it's anything more than that.
Port Charlotte resident

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Judged:

The very loud opposers to the sewer project refuse to take the silent majority into consideration. Big fail on their part. You see most of us in favor of sewer are working families. We don't have time to show up at town hall meetings about the subject, but we do write to our commissioners. Many of us want sewers and the science is in favor of sewer. It is unreasonable to think you can have growth and development without infrastructure and everyone be on septic. Again, don't ignore the silent majority because we are in favor of sewer and have been voicing our opinions to the Charlotte County government for a few years now. Just because we are not loud does not mean we are not heard! Thank you Charlotte County Goverment for finally doing what needs to be done despite the threats being made by a loud minority that refuses to see the science, facts and reasons behind the need for sewers in Port Charlotte.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Punta Gorda Discussions

Search the Punta Gorda Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 9 hr ish 2,387
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Tue nina roth 2,063
Work begins to improve pedestrian safety near B... Jul 16 LEO 477 1
Review: Korsch Financial Jul 15 Amanda Folk 2
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Jul 15 BigDog 2,922
Narcotics unit nets multiple arrests (Mar '10) Jul 14 Gator45 6
RN salary Jul 13 Wondering 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Punta Gorda Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Punta Gorda People Search