Area gun sales, fears rising

Area gun sales, fears rising

There are 7566 comments on the North Port Sun story from Nov 14, 2012, titled Area gun sales, fears rising. In it, North Port Sun reports that:

Gun stores in Charlotte County have experienced increased sales since Election Day as local gun owners brace for an anticipated restriction of gun laws following the re-election of President Barack Obama.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Port Sun.

Spocko

Oakland, CA

#5218 Feb 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again forced to the schoolyard rants when proven a moron.........LOL
Clearly I'm no match to your spectacular brilliance :-/ yemoron!!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5220 Feb 14, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I wholeheartedly DISAGREE. Just like when you by a car. Is it the salesman's fault if YOU buy a lemon?? Nope. No one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy it. The buyer should have had a mechanic look at the car prior to handing over the money/signing on the bottom line. Your own ignorance is YOUR problem, not theirs. If you go into a home buying deal without knowing how much house you can afford, it is NOT the sellers fault if you sign on the bottom line to a house you can't afford. It's yours. Plain and simple.
I never said it was the SELLERS fault son. I said the realtor and the mortgage brokers.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5221 Feb 14, 2013
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense; personal responsibility. If you are too dumb to not be able to figure out what you can "afford" comfortably then it IS your fault.
So why can't the same people who can't get a $200k get a $10M loan instead?

Either way, they lose. Must be a different form of math.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5222 Feb 14, 2013
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither did the legislators who voted for it.
What's with the "son" bullshit?
Are you a favored person "exempt" from the law?
Well, that would depend son.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5223 Feb 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
It started long ago..........LOL
Just took that much time to build up......
Once again you cant debate the point so you revert to your childish schoolyard rants
lol! Your bull takes no time at all son. In fact, it takes no thinking either!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5224 Feb 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again liar.........
No bank/ business would sell a product that they know they would not get paid for.....
It was the allowing of the resale of these garbage loans for poor black folks like you that started the mess..........
It was explained to you in great detail that only a moron would not understand...
lol! Poor dummy. Who made the garbage loans with repayment criteria son?

What a bobble head you are.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5225 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What CRA's did was force banks to make loans in areas they would otherwise not make. These were predominantly lower income black areas. WIthout money, such communities had no ability to go anywhere but downhill. So Carter created CRA's.
By the way, since you are on a roll of inaccuracy, why don't you find out who repealed the Glass-Stegall Act. I'll give you a hint, his initials are B.C.
You're conclusions are so politically motivated son. Come back when you have something more substantial and factual.

As for Glass-Stegall, like most knowledgeable people I already know who repealed it, thanks to Phil Gramm. And I still believe it was a mistake by Clinton.

If that's all you have son, you really need to bone up....

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/publications_pa...

"...Assessing banks in context

The CRA directs federal banking regulatory agencies, including the Federal Reserve, to use their supervisory authority to encourage banking institutions to help meet the credit needs of all segments of their local communities. These communities, referred to hereafter as CRA assessment areas, are defined as the areas where banking institutions have a physical branch office presence and take deposits, including low- and moderate-income areas. The banking agencies periodically assess the performance of banking institutions in serving their local communities, including their patterns of lending to lower-income households and neighborhoods, and take the assessments into consideration when reviewing the institutions' applications for mergers, acquisitions, and branches.

The CRA emphasizes that banking institutions fulfill their CRA obligations within the framework of safe and sound operation. CRA performance evaluations have become more quantitative since 1995, when regulatory changes were enacted that stress actual performance rather than documented efforts to serve a community's credit needs. However, the CRA does not stipulate minimum targets or even goals for the volume of loans, services, or investments banking institutions must provide. While it is fair to say that the primary focus of CRA evaluations is the number and dollar amount of loans to lower-income borrowers or areas, the agencies instruct examiners to judge banks' performance in light of 1) each institution's capacity to extend credit to lower-income groups and 2) the local economic and market conditions that might affect the income and geographic distribution of lending...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5226 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What CRA's did was force banks to make loans in areas they would otherwise not make. These were predominantly lower income black areas. WIthout money, such communities had no ability to go anywhere but downhill. So Carter created CRA's.
By the way, since you are on a roll of inaccuracy, why don't you find out who repealed the Glass-Stegall Act. I'll give you a hint, his initials are B.C.
And to continue....

"...Timing and originations

Before we turn to our analysis of CRA lending data, we have two important points to note regarding the CRA and its possible connection to the current mortgage crisis.

The first point is a matter of timing. The current crisis is rooted in the poor performance of mortgage loans made between 2005 and 2007. If the CRA did indeed spur the recent expansion of the subprime mortgage market and subsequent turmoil, it would be reasonable to assume that some change in the enforcement regime in 2004 or 2005 triggered a relaxation of underwriting standards by CRA-covered lenders for loans originated in the past few years. However, the CRA rules and enforcement process have not changed substantively since 1995.2/ This fact weakens the potential link between the CRA and the current mortgage crisis.

Our second point is a matter of the originating entity. When considering the potential role of the CRA in the current mortgage crisis, it is important to account for the originating party. In particular, independent nonbank lenders, such as mortgage and finance companies and credit unions, originate a substantial share of subprime mortgages, but they are not subject to CRA regulation and, hence, are not directly influenced by CRA obligations.(We explore subprime mortgage originations in further detail below.)

The CRA may directly affect nonbank subsidiaries or affiliates of banking institutions. Banking institutions can elect to have their subsidiary or affiliate lending activity counted in CRA performance evaluations. If the banking institution elects to include affiliate activity, it cannot be done selectively. For example, the institution cannot "cherry pick" loans that would be favorably considered under the law while ignoring loans to middle- or higher-income borrowers...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5227 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition....

"...CRA-related lending volume and distribution

In analyzing the available data, we consider two distinct metrics of lending activity: loan origination activity and loan performance. With respect to the first question posed above concerning loan originations, we determine which types of lending institutions made higher-priced loans, to whom those loans were made, and in what types of neighborhoods the loans were extended.3/ This analysis therefore depicts the fraction of subprime mortgage lending that could be related to the CRA.

Using loan origination data obtained pursuant to the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA), we find that in 2005 and 2006, independent nonbank institutions—institutions not covered by the CRA—accounted for about half of all subprime originations.(See Table 1.) Also, about 60 percent of higher-priced loan originations went to middle- or higher-income borrowers or neighborhoods, populations not targeted by the CRA.(See Table 2.) In addition, independent nonbank institutions originated nearly half of the higher-priced loans extended to lower-income borrowers or borrowers in lower-income areas (share derived from Table 2).

In total, of all the higher-priced loans, only 6 percent were extended by CRA-regulated lenders (and their affiliates) to either lower-income borrowers or neighborhoods in the lenders' CRA assessment areas, which are the local geographies that are the primary focus for CRA evaluation purposes. The small share of subprime lending in 2005 and 2006 that can be linked to the CRA suggests it is very unlikely the CRA could have played a substantial role in the subprime crisis...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5228 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Also...

"...Another way to measure the relationship between the CRA and the subprime crisis is to examine foreclosure activity across neighborhoods that are classified by income. Data made available by RealtyTrac on foreclosure filings from January 2006 through August 2008 indicate that most foreclosure filings (e.g., about 70 percent in 2006) have taken place in middle- or higher-income neighborhoods. More important, foreclosure filings have increased at a faster pace in middle- or higher-income areas than in lower-income areas that are the focus of the CRA.9/(See Table 7.)

Two basic points emerge from our analysis of the available data. First, only a small portion of subprime mortgage originations is related to the CRA. Second, CRA-related loans appear to perform comparably to other types of subprime loans. Taken together, the available evidence seems to run counter to the contention that the CRA contributed in any substantive way to the current mortgage crisis...."

So grow up will you? Your personal claims are NOT facts so please don't present them as such if you want to be taken serious, son. your BS might work with people who WANT to believe you, but not with those who think.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Mexico

#5229 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Your bull takes no time at all son. In fact, it takes no thinking either!
Prove it..........ROTFLMAO
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5230 Feb 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Dont forget the Republicans who controlled legislative branch of both houses in the 104th 105th & 106th Congress were the ones wrote the Legistlation Repeal Glass-Stegall Act too and Congress created the CRA and all Carter did was sign it into law.
In 1999, Democrats led by President Bill Clinton and Republicans led by Sen. Phil Gramm joined forces to repeal Glass-Steagall at the behest of the big banks. What happened over the next eight years was an almost exact replay of the Roaring Twenties. Once again, banks originated fraudulent loans and once again they sold them to their customers in the form of securities. The bubble peaked in 2007 and collapsed in 2008. The hard-earned knowledge of 1933 had been lost in the arrogance of 1999.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-...
Yes. Regardless of what Clinton continues to say, I think it was one of his biggest blunders.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Mexico

#5231 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Poor dummy. Who made the garbage loans with repayment criteria son?
What a bobble head you are.
Yes the stupid morons like you living in a ghetto..........Baaaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaa says the sheeple
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5232 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I never claimed Republicans didn't play a part. But the idea that the housing collapse was all Bush's fault is what gets me started with all this. My point is that this was brewing for many years before the housing collapse took place, and no particular party at fault.
Banks can't sell bad loans. All their loans have to meet the Fanny and Freddy guidelines. F & F are controlled by HUD. It's HUD who lowered the standards for loans which included no credit check and no money down for the house.
Trust me, I began to look into this early on when I lost two tenants. One was a married couple with moderate income, but stretched out on credit like you wouldn't believe. When they lived here, they even rented their television set. The other was a school teacher who made descent money, but he was another one that would let a dollar burn a hole in his pocket. He was way overextended with his credit.
Both got homes with no money down. The couple I mentioned not only purchased a home, but a brand new home that wasn't even built yet. It's in one of the nicer suburbs in the next county.
No, it was greatly Gramm's fault for putting the Glass-Stegall repeal in. It was also Clinton's fault for signing the stupid bill.

But the biggest fault lay in the with realtors and mortgage brokers who changed their loan qualifications as a business decision.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#5233 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Also...
"...Another way to measure the relationship between the CRA and the subprime crisis is to examine foreclosure activity across neighborhoods that are classified by income. Data made available by RealtyTrac on foreclosure filings from January 2006 through August 2008 indicate that most foreclosure filings (e.g., about 70 percent in 2006) have taken place in middle- or higher-income neighborhoods. More important, foreclosure filings have increased at a faster pace in middle- or higher-income areas than in lower-income areas that are the focus of the CRA.9/(See Table 7.)
Two basic points emerge from our analysis of the available data. First, only a small portion of subprime mortgage originations is related to the CRA. Second, CRA-related loans appear to perform comparably to other types of subprime loans. Taken together, the available evidence seems to run counter to the contention that the CRA contributed in any substantive way to the current mortgage crisis...."
So grow up will you? Your personal claims are NOT facts so please don't present them as such if you want to be taken serious, son. your BS might work with people who WANT to believe you, but not with those who think.
Where did I state that CRA's were the main culprit? I said it all started with CRA's and the main culprit was 0% down and no credit check issued by HUD. I also stated that the bad loans were mostly sub-prime loans that often come with ARM's or Adjustable Rate Mortgages.

What happened to my suburb was a crime. 0% down no credit check loans were responsible for turning my once nice city into the hood. Lowlifes flooded the area from the inner-city bringing the crime with them. Along with HUD buying and renting apartments and houses, 0% down brought in lowlife home buyers who had absolutely no ability to repay the loans. But they figured they would buy homes, not pay the mortgage, and by the time the bank kicked them out, they had free rent for several years.

Yes, it's true that things have settled down a bit now that the banks caught up with foreclosed homes and kicked these people back to the ghetto where they belong, but it doesn't discount the fact that it was government that promoted all this.

Government doesn't belong in the loan industry no more than the loan industry belongs in government. This is the disaster that takes place every single time government decides to run the private market.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#5234 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it was the SELLERS fault son. I said the realtor and the mortgage brokers.
Who are in essence the sellers.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5235 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. Regardless of what Clinton continues to say, I think it was one of his biggest blunders.
I agree and Bill Clinton Has Admitted publically that he was wrong to listen to wrong advice against regulating Derivatives too.

“On derivatives, yeah I think they were wrong and I think I was wrong to take [their advice] because the argument on derivatives was that these things are expensive and sophisticated and only a handful of investors will buy them and they don’t need any extra protection, and any extra transparency. The money they’re putting up guarantees them transparency,” Clinton told.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2010/04/...

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#5236 Feb 14, 2013
So they finally had to come out and admit it, now that the Coroner has released some info along with police.

An AR-15, or the so-called "Assault Weapon", was not used in the school shooting. The shooter even tried weeks earlier to buy a rifle but was turned down in the background check. So he had to kill his Mother to steal her rifle. There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL. The rifle was not used. The shooter went into the school with 4 handguns, NOT an Assault Rifle as the media has charged. I remember in the initial hours of this shooting, the Police said they found the rifle in the car. But the Administration-controlled MSM had a pre-planned attack already waiting, to ban so-called assault weapons and jumped on that line of reporting, knowing it was a lie, which included people like Piers Morgan who said the shooter used an AR-15 that shoots hundreds of rounds per minute, as if it were a machine gun. Could it be that the Democrat Liberals and THEIR MEDIA were pushing for the new law, hoping they could do it, before the Coroner released the info? Absolutely.

VIDEO: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/502084...
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#5237 Feb 14, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
So they finally had to come out and admit it, now that the Coroner has released some info along with police.
An AR-15, or the so-called "Assault Weapon", was not used in the school shooting. The shooter even tried weeks earlier to buy a rifle but was turned down in the background check. So he had to kill his Mother to steal her rifle. There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL. The rifle was not used. The shooter went into the school with 4 handguns, NOT an Assault Rifle as the media has charged. I remember in the initial hours of this shooting, the Police said they found the rifle in the car. But the Administration-controlled MSM had a pre-planned attack already waiting, to ban so-called assault weapons and jumped on that line of reporting, knowing it was a lie, which included people like Piers Morgan who said the shooter used an AR-15 that shoots hundreds of rounds per minute, as if it were a machine gun. Could it be that the Democrat Liberals and THEIR MEDIA were pushing for the new law, hoping they could do it, before the Coroner released the info? Absolutely.
VIDEO: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/502084...
Excellant post. This incident is what started the assault weapons debate. Now that it's reported, no assault weapons were used in this terrible shooting. I'm sure Nancy and DumBama will be terribly disappointed.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5238 Feb 14, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I state that CRA's were the main culprit? I said it all started with CRA's and the main culprit was 0% down and no credit check issued by HUD. I also stated that the bad loans were mostly sub-prime loans that often come with ARM's or Adjustable Rate Mortgages.
What happened to my suburb was a crime. 0% down no credit check loans were responsible for turning my once nice city into the hood. Lowlifes flooded the area from the inner-city bringing the crime with them. Along with HUD buying and renting apartments and houses, 0% down brought in lowlife home buyers who had absolutely no ability to repay the loans. But they figured they would buy homes, not pay the mortgage, and by the time the bank kicked them out, they had free rent for several years.
Yes, it's true that things have settled down a bit now that the banks caught up with foreclosed homes and kicked these people back to the ghetto where they belong, but it doesn't discount the fact that it was government that promoted all this.
Government doesn't belong in the loan industry no more than the loan industry belongs in government. This is the disaster that takes place every single time government decides to run the private market.
You really don't read do you?

Always your opinion over the facts.

Oh well. I was hoping for better. I see you only offer par or less.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Punta Gorda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The beautiful girl in red dress at kings highwa... Jul 20 Anthony 1
Paul Herman Kline (Jun '11) Jul 18 Ken Dudley 17
Matt Walton Jul 16 Bum 1
Review: Billy Bob's Carwash (May '14) Jul 12 diane3517 2
Charlotte Harbor Rv Park Jul 9 MikeM 2
Derick with silver porsche (Jan '15) Jul 9 Just wondering 9
News FMPD arrests 8 in prostitution sting Jul 8 LEO 477 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Punta Gorda Mortgages